Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome on iOS is "fake Chrome"

http://www.greenbot.com/article/2950...-than-ios.html

Seems it's built completely differently from the desktop and Android versions.
    Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100i PRO | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Not fake, just different, still made by the same company but definitely a different software with similar (almost identical in most cases) user interface (UI).

You don't have to look hard for proofs either, just google browser benchmark comprehension, tom's hardware used to do that, and you could easily see that same browser on different OS gets vastly different results, thus:

Safari on XP performs terribly
    Safari on OSX performs awesome
    Chrome on OSX performs poorly
    Chrome on Windows performs awesome

And as I have found out during my last job (in the field of computer security) more than just performance is the difference, the code\software itself is different, and what's lacking is more than just performance (often times...)

Thus, it's in your best interest to use:
    Safari in iOS\OSX
    Chrome\FireFox\Edge in Windows

And I'm not even talking about getting sideloaded with malicious clone of a popular browser that was initially forked out of the source code of browser and impregnated with essentially a virus.... or even a software that mimics the UI of a popular browser but is in essence sharing zero source code with it and is just an elaborated virus.

Comment

This isn't really news, I've known this for years... I'm sure it will change eventually, but for now, Safari is the better browser on iOS (especially because it allows content blockers, which even Chrome on Android doesn't allow).

I've noticed some of the limitations on Google apps on iOS since getting my phone, they're not huge, but for power users it's definitely noticeable.
      Originally posted by IamHere
      You guys are closet communists.

Comment

Chrome on iOS is "fake Chrome"

there is something funky going on with the cookies... As a workaround, select the "Request desktop site" option in Chrome on iOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Kain View Post
          http://www.greenbot.com/article/2950...-than-ios.html

Seems it's built completely differently from the desktop and Android versions.
          Part of it is Apple's doing (locking down things to Safari, etc.). Part of it is competition related, part of it is security related.

If you have test flight, there is a new Chrome version there and it is quite similar to the Android version. But overall, I prefer Chrome on Android significantly more than on iOS. And Gmail is SO much better on Android than iOS. Hell, I use OUTLOOK on iOS because that is the best client for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sazar View Post
            Part of it is Apple's doing (locking down things to Safari, etc.). Part of it is competition related, part of it is security related.

If you have test flight, there is a new Chrome version there and it is quite similar to the Android version. But overall, I prefer Chrome on Android significantly more than on iOS. And Gmail is SO much better on Android than iOS. Hell, I use OUTLOOK on iOS because that is the best client for me.
            Gmail on iOS is pretty bad, and half the time I open it and it's got an error saying I need to close it. I still use it for Gmail, I use the stock Apple client for my work email. I'll have to look into Outlook, as both leave something to be desired.

On another related topic, I have stopped using Google Maps unless I have to (like yesterday I went to an address that was too new for Apple Maps). I got sick of using Google Maps and not being able to see the map when it'd turn the screen on to tell me where to go. Since starting to use Apple Maps, I gotta admit, it's good. The voice is more natural sounding, the maps take up the whole screen and are easy to read and have slightly more detail in some places, and being able to see the map when the screen comes on is a must. I wish Apple didn't lock that down like that (assuming they did and it's not just Google being lazy).

Comment

It is always on for me in the car, coz I keep it plugged in. Not sure what you mean "when it comes on". Are you hitting power button?

Google Maps > Apple Maps even now. Apple has tighter integration but the maps are still lagging big time compared to Google's product. The time to home and stuff is brilliant.

Here is better than both in some regards, especially offline, so I keep that on my phone as well.

Comment

It is always on for me in the car, coz I keep it plugged in. Not sure what you mean "when it comes on". Are you hitting power button?

Google Maps > Apple Maps even now. Apple has tighter integration but the maps are still lagging big time compared to Google's product. The time to home and stuff is brilliant.

Here is better than both in some regards, especially offline, so I keep that on my phone as well.
                No, I'm not hitting the power button. When I have it on my dash mount, the screen goes off, it's never plugged in, and when it tells me the next street it turns the screen on but only shows me a notification that I have to read, or have to be listening to know what's going on. With Apple Maps it shows the full map.

I don't use offline maps, so meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Elysian View Post
                  No, I'm not hitting the power button. When I have it on my dash mount, the screen goes off, it's never plugged in, and when it tells me the next street it turns the screen on but only shows me a notification that I have to read, or have to be listening to know what's going on. With Apple Maps it shows the full map.

I don't use offline maps, so meh.
                  /me shrugs

Try using turn by turn and see if that prevents the auto locking.

Comment

/me shrugs

Try using turn by turn and see if that prevents the auto locking.
                    What else would I be using if not turn by turn?

Comment

What else would I be using if not turn by turn?
                      It works in preventing iPad's from sleeping based on some settings tweaks, figured it might help with the phone too. Oh well.

Comment

Gmail on iOS is pretty bad, and half the time I open it and it's got an error saying I need to close it. I still use it for Gmail, I use the stock Apple client for my work email. I'll have to look into Outlook, as both leave something to be desired.
                        Never had Gmail crap out on me and I use it daily. Have you tired Google Inbox?
                        I use the built in client for Exchange, iCloud, Outlook.com and TWC email accounts. The only problem I've had is occasional calendar invite issues but it is very rare.

Comment

Originally posted by guest View Post
                          I use the built in client for Exchange, iCloud, Outlook.com and TWC email accounts. The only problem I've had is occasional calendar invite issues but it is very rare.
                          I couldn't stand Inbox when I tried it when it was new.

Comment

Inbox is great, if you use it the way its meant to be used. You have to change your habits.

I basically used it to clean up my inbox and then reverted to the regular mail client again

BTW, the new Chrome beta on Testflight is brilliant Using it as my daily driver over Safari.

Comment

I couldn't stand Inbox when I tried it when it was new.
                              I have never tried Inbox on any platform. I wonder if it would be less buggy for you, but if it sucks....

Inbox is great, if you use it the way its meant to be used. You have to change your habits.

I basically used it to clean up my inbox and then reverted to the regular mail client again

BTW, the new Chrome beta on Testflight is brilliant Using it as my daily driver over Safari.
                              How is the performance?

Comment

I have never tried Inbox on any platform. I wonder if it would be less buggy for you, but if it sucks....

How is the performance?
                                I tried it via Android and on the web, didn't last a month.

Comment

It doesn't suck. There is a specific use case. If it fits yours, you'll love it. The app isn't as good on iOS for reasons involving Apple and Google, but its still useful.

Outlook is still my preferred client overall for iOS.

How is the performance?
                                  Very good. Safari still has the advantage slightly due to Apple's locking stuff down. But the functionality is where the new Chrome rocks

Also I prefer the bookmarking in Chrome to Safari's.

Apple makes some good stuff, but they also have some odd policies and terrible software. Testflight lets you check some alternatives

Comment

Working...
                                  X