No announcement yet.

Diablo 4 - We all have PCs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, it shouldn't be a Diablo game at all, the type of daemons on display doesn't fit the pagan vibe, the high fantasy stuff doesn't fit with the gory and dark parts, the palette doesn't fit the tone etc etc. It's just a brand slapped on it to make it big from the start rather than its essence. It made no sense to go for the gothic horror though, there's D2R already and while it's mechanically old, flat and tile based, still could turn out to be quite a competitor both on gameplay and graphics front heh. So, they based it on D3 and it's 30 millions sold or whatever the number was, only fixed the most hated aspects of it and progressed it with open world. Definitely fun is the right word here, and not terror, or depth heh or sth.
    My 40nm path :nuts: HIS HD 5850 -> GIGABYTE GTX 470 -> ZOTAC GTX 480 -> HIS HD 6950@70 -> MSI GTX 570 -> ZOTAC GTX 470 -> PNY GTX 580

Garth Merenghi quotes
    Most of you will probably know me already from my extensive canon of chillers including "Afterbirth" in which a mutated placenta attacks Bristol.

Everyone has a special talent. Mine is being able to write, produce direct, act, paint... Other people are good plumbers, that's their gift.

There are rebels and there are innovators. I'm a rebel. I play a rebel brain expert who's in rebelliance against conventional logic, who's in rebelliance against the world order. It's about rebelliance. And if that's not being an innovator, I don't know what is.

In times of conflict, when you're up against an agressor, be he human, be he inhuman, whoe'er he be, often he is both.

Greetings traveller. Who am I? Perhaps you have met me twixt sleep and and wake - in the penumbra of uncertainity you call unconsiousness... you know, my books are essentialy about "what ifs". In "Black Fang" I asked - what if a rat could drive a bus? And what if it and its rat brethren took over and ate Parliment?

A lot of people say "Garth Merenghi? Doesn't he write that horror crap?" Well, you're an idiot, because my books always say something, even if it's simple like "Don't geneticaly engineer crabs to be as big as man". There's always a message or a theme.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Ziklitschli View Post
        Yes, it shouldn't be a Diablo game at all, the type of daemons on display doesn't fit the pagan vibe, the high fantasy stuff doesn't fit with the gory and dark parts, the palette doesn't fit the tone etc etc. It's just a brand slapped on it to make it big from the start rather than its essence. It made no sense to go for the gothic horror though, there's D2R already and while it's mechanically old, flat and tile based, still could turn out to be quite a competitor both on gameplay and graphics front heh. So, they based it on D3 and it's 30 millions sold or whatever the number was, only fixed the most hated aspects of it and progressed it with open world. Definitely fun is the right word here, and not terror, or depth heh or sth.
        soooo.... daemons are literally fae... the whole goatman diablo look, with the horns and stuff.. actual depictions from pagan legends. Even oberon was said to appear as a demon sometimes. Not just his fairy king persona. This is probably the most accurate diablo, not the least fitting.
        Never put off tomorrow what you can put off today!

Comment

Blizzard email stats said I played 23 hrs on the beta... hardly seems believable but then again...
          I talked to the tree. Thats why they put me away!..." Peter Sellers, The Goon Show
          Only superficial people cant be superficial... Oscar Wilde

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 22.7.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
          "Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
          "The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.plasma-universe.com/pseudoskepticism/

Comment

Only played six hours, died twice, killed 4000 monsters. I wonder what the average playtime is, if they told us that we could work out how many played the beta.

Comment

I only played about 1 hour just looked around didn't want to spoil it too much
              i did pre order it

Comment

Stats don’t seem correct to me, it said I died 27 times in 7 hours. Positive I played more than 7 hours and I sure as hell didn’t die 27 times in that amount of time.

Comment

Server Slam is may 12-14th. It will include the prologue, and entire Act 1. Cross play and progression for all platforms...finally. Unfortunately EA and Open Beta saves will not carry over to Server Slam. Likewise, SS saves will not carry over to the launch.

Comment

Trying not to get hyped. i tried the beta, was fun. Now i have to forget the game exists until its 50% off. Im not buying it for the 110 dollars they are charging me. Once apon a time, collecters/ultimate editions cost that much.

Comment

Originally posted by theshadowcult View Post

soooo.... daemons are literally fae... the whole goatman diablo look, with the horns and stuff.. actual depictions from pagan legends. Even oberon was said to appear as a demon sometimes. Not just his fairy king persona. This is probably the most accurate diablo, not the least fitting.
                      Soooo... goatman fae and stuff...

Yes obviously goatmen are very broadly pagan. I wasn't talking about those though, but a hierarchical army of red daemons, which are a mix based on depictions from between XVI and XIX century, and XX century pop culture. Just keep them to church underground and it'd be kind of (pop culture shallow but) ok, the rest like werewolves vampires etc running around all make sense there.

Btw daemons having horns is a depiction from New Testament. Ofc in a way all daemons have roots traceable to some pagan god or entity (that would be probably Egypt/ Babylon for biblical daemons, only then mixed with European folklore), which doesn't mean an ifrit will fit a rainy day in Scotland or snowy Arctic heh, at least until you want to dumb it down to Diablo level.

Even the goatmen you could pick on though, what are they doing in Carpathians? Are they czarty, Krampus, what exactly? By the absence of the other, locally more significant animal forms, I'd guess they're just a typical Pan derived, Christian era import that just kind of fits by accident, especially that they are in all areas in D4. Even Blizzard when trying to show off the depth of their world building, boasted how their goats are different depending on the local weather, some goat cosmopolitism heh.

Sapkowski with all his folklore influences, while did some justice to it, still ended up with a heavily westernized and post-modernist bestiary, but Diablo with its most generic and bland merry band of daemons that would fit every game from HoM&M to Doom, is suddenly accurate. Sure ok, for me just a mess of themes and vibes though, neither the first nor the last ofc, but kind of shame that beautiful world is not as coherent as it could be.
                      My 40nm path :nuts: HIS HD 5850 -> GIGABYTE GTX 470 -> ZOTAC GTX 480 -> HIS HD 6950@70 -> MSI GTX 570 -> ZOTAC GTX 470 -> PNY GTX 580

Garth Merenghi quotes
                      Most of you will probably know me already from my extensive canon of chillers including "Afterbirth" in which a mutated placenta attacks Bristol.

Everyone has a special talent. Mine is being able to write, produce direct, act, paint... Other people are good plumbers, that's their gift.

There are rebels and there are innovators. I'm a rebel. I play a rebel brain expert who's in rebelliance against conventional logic, who's in rebelliance against the world order. It's about rebelliance. And if that's not being an innovator, I don't know what is.

In times of conflict, when you're up against an agressor, be he human, be he inhuman, whoe'er he be, often he is both.

Greetings traveller. Who am I? Perhaps you have met me twixt sleep and and wake - in the penumbra of uncertainity you call unconsiousness... you know, my books are essentialy about "what ifs". In "Black Fang" I asked - what if a rat could drive a bus? And what if it and its rat brethren took over and ate Parliment?

A lot of people say "Garth Merenghi? Doesn't he write that horror crap?" Well, you're an idiot, because my books always say something, even if it's simple like "Don't geneticaly engineer crabs to be as big as man". There's always a message or a theme.

Comment

My point is, all aspects of the bible and demons and hell were taken from local pagan religions. Nothing in diablo is based on a singular religion. Nothing is really out of place.

Comment

Yes I gathered as much, actually wanted to put forth that argument for you in that post and answer already, how funny is that heh.

Yes I said the same in my post, all daemons have roots traceable to paganism. I also think it is a very shallow stance on world building, one that allows for practicaly everything to go in a truly post modern fashion.

Anyway I can tell you that in my perspective it doesn't fit, being slapped on in a true McDonald fashion, you can do whatever you want to do with it though. I ofc appreciate you explaining my own folklore to me, one that I have a lively interest in, having my fair share of moonless night strolls through the Carpathian forest with the headlamp serving only as mood enhancer heh. But hey it's all subjective and really a mess, so agree to disagree, it sure is good enough for AAA blockbuster so yeah.

Garth Merenghi quotes

Comment

No need to be an arse man, my family is irish and german, ive been told all those tales all my life. dont "explaining my own folklore" to me...

Comment

Ok but then I find it suprising that you consider it accurate, they just threw in the daemons from previous Diablo games (all different in tone in own ways), disregarding their own inspiration for the environment (except the vampires maybe). That was your own criticism actually afair, that they reused enemies, one I'd agree with, so idk. Enough to look at PoE, which while also all over the place, is 10x more consistent when it comes to enemies fitting the maps in campaign, and still you could do much, much better. So in D4 it only fits in that broad, lazy way where everything goes, in my opinion though as like I said, it's subjective (and, in my exp, based on proximity) what you consider enough to not be coarse, artificial etc.

As for the tone, mine usually mirrors the one I get, but ofc it's all text so destined to misinterpretation. Or I am actually an arse, hard to say heh.

Garth Merenghi quotes

Comment

How's the offline mode coming along, gents?

Comment

I would assume its not.

Comment

Originally posted by nutcrackr View Post
                                    How's the offline mode coming along, gents?
                                    hahahaha ahhahah ahahahahah ahhahahh ahahahha hahahahah ahhahahahah no says blizzard -_-
                                    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

Comment

Originally posted by CyanBlues View Post

hahahaha ahhahah ahahahahah ahhahahh ahahahha hahahahah ahhahahahah no says blizzard -_-

Comment

Ya Blizzard wattaya gonna do... they will break your balls... er...
                                        I talked to the tree. Thats why they put me away!..." Peter Sellers, The Goon Show

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 22.7.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
                                        "Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
                                        "The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

The Beta's were fun. I am looking forward to the full game release.
                                          Desktop - | Intel i7-4790 | 16 gigs DDR3 1866 | Fury-X | Windows 10 64-bit

Comment

Nvidia brings DLSS3 to D4... course you can run D4 with an antique gpu like I did with R290 at 1440p max graphics (save RT) but who doesnt want another click box in their graphics options?

Each week we're bringing you the latest news on games launching with NVIDIA DLSS. Last week, Redfall launched with support for NVIDIA DLSS 3 and NVIDIA Reflex, and this week Diablo IV's DLSS 3-enhanced Server Slam Beta begins! Additionally, Fobia - St. Dinfna Hotel, No One Survived, and Someday Y...

Diablo IV Server Slam Begins May 12th With DLSS 3
                                            The demon Lilith and the angel Inarius united to create the world of Sanctuary in their desire to escape the Eternal Conflict between High Heavens and Burning Hells. But now, decades after the events of Diablo III: Reaper of Souls, they are bitter enemies who have resorted to war against each other with their respective followers. The lands of Sanctuary have become plagued with ceaseless demons, and only the most steadfast of heroes will be able to hold in the face of darkness.

Following the successful DLSS 2-enhanced Open Beta, Blizzard invites you to stress test their servers in the Diablo IV Server Slam, occurring May 12th to 14th. Players will have one more chance to earn special cosmetic rewards, including the Beta Wolf Pack Cosmetic and a new Mount Trophy.

On the tech side, the Server Slam introduces support for NVIDIA DLSS 3, enabling GeForce RTX 40 Series gamers to smash the forces of evil at the absolute highest frame rates.
                                            600 fps here we... uh... a few of us come!​

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

It will be an interesting test for Frame Generation tech imho. As making split second decisions based on very subtle moments of animations is a thing at higher levels of play. Of course you can always just turn it off if your one of those players.
                                              -Trunks0
                                              not speaking for all and if I am wrong I never said it.
                                              (plz note that is meant as a joke)

System:
                                              Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - PowerColor RedDevil Radeon RX 7900XTX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit

Comment

Early access begins on 6.2

Comment

6th of February?

Comment

Refunded the game for now. It just feels too much like a cross of D3 and D Imm. Map is small... maybe 2 miles by 4 miles. Dungeons mostly linear. Might grab it on a sale with the addons in a few years just to play the campaign.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Originally posted by pax View Post
                                                      Refunded the game for now. It just feels too much like a cross of D3 and D Imm. Map is small... maybe 2 miles by 4 miles. Dungeons mostly linear. Might grab it on a sale with the addons in a few years just to play the campaign.
                                                      What do you mean the map is small? The full game's map is 5x the beta size which I think is fairly large. Plus they might add some regions later.

I do hope to see more complex dungeons though.

Comment

What do you mean the map is small? The full game's map is 5x the beta size which I think is fairly large. Plus they might add some regions later.

I do hope to see more complex dungeons though.
                                                        Its halfway to an MMO but compared to some typical maps that are 500+ square miles in todays games its very much on the small size. Many count dungeons as map area but thats not a good way to measure it... I think there was 3-4 dungeons that were half decent like the one with the Butcher... When paying this much Id like a big sandbox to lose myself in not have a dungeon every 1-200 feet or so.

We can see where the expansions will be on the island to the left and its even smaller.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Compared to previous diablo games, the map is enormours. But yeah against MMOs I guess it could be considered small to medium.

Comment

I tried Diablo 2 and didn't quite get into it (talking about remake / remaster whatever).
                                                            I tried Immortal and was OK with it till level 40 or something where I got done.
                                                            I finished Diablo 3 but never really did the end game just the last story boss. All the end game stuff was irrelevant for me.

Do you think I should get this game? I like the formula of ARPG and like to spend sometime but last ARPG I finished was I think a NWN type game or a Dungeon Siege game. Most times I lose interest pretty fast and don't have time anymore to indulge for long periods. Trying to decide between SF6 and D4 for a pickup this month.

Comment

Sounds like you like story driven action rpgs. I do too and most will play the campaign and only go back when the add ons come out with more story telling. Its how I played Diablo 3 and it was short game for me. Too short. The problem is they have been shrinking the story to focus on farming/critter leveling rinse and repeat. The campaign in D4 is at best 35 hours with all side quests FWIR.

I got spoiled in the 90's to early 2000's with 60-100 hours of gameplay in a campaign. The rpg farming side of the game being not an end goal but a necessary side aspect to completing the story.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Diablo IV is finally here. After spending over 100 hours with the game, here's my final review of what we're getting at release. While there are some pain po...

Reviews are out and this guy managed to finish the campaign in about 11 hours in his first playthrough... yay...

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Originally posted by KAC View Post
                                                                  I tried Diablo 2 and didn't quite get into it (talking about remake / remaster whatever).
                                                                  I tried Immortal and was OK with it till level 40 or something where I got done.
                                                                  I finished Diablo 3 but never really did the end game just the last story boss. All the end game stuff was irrelevant for me.

Do you think I should get this game? I like the formula of ARPG and like to spend sometime but last ARPG I finished was I think a NWN type game or a Dungeon Siege game. Most times I lose interest pretty fast and don't have time anymore to indulge for long periods. Trying to decide between SF6 and D4 for a pickup this month.
                                                                  Did you play the beta? Diablo 4 to me looks like Diablo 3 with a darker atmosphere, bigger overworld, and a few gameplay tweaks.

I didn't do a heap of end-game stuff in Diablo 3, but I did run through it a few times with the other classes and got my fill out of it. I suspect D4 will be the same, unless the end-game stuff is literally Emazing, which depends on combat / enemies / levels. I'm not really one to play something over and over for imaginary items that will be superseded if I play another 5 hours, but if all the other stuff is good I may indulge.

They will probably drop new areas, challenges, and enemies for free later, supported by the obscene cosmetic prices.

Comment

Originally posted by pax View Post
                                                                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ay_3bp29ds

Reviews are out and this guy managed to finish the campaign in about 11 hours in his first playthrough... yay...
                                                                    i mean, thats about the time it took to do diablo 2 or diablo 3 campaign as well. Seems fine.

Comment

Did you play the beta? Diablo 4 to me looks like Diablo 3 with a darker atmosphere, bigger overworld, and a few gameplay tweaks.

I didn't do a heap of end-game stuff in Diablo 3, but I did run through it a few times with the other classes and got my fill out of it. I suspect D4 will be the same, unless the end-game stuff is literally Emazing, which depends on combat / enemies / levels. I'm not really one to play something over and over for imaginary items that will be superseded if I play another 5 hours, but if all the other stuff is good I may indulge.

They will probably drop new areas, challenges, and enemies for free later, supported by the obscene cosmetic prices.
                                                                      i felt the same, i thought the game looked nice, but it seemed more like a diablo 3 remaster to me, than something brand new. Still going to enjoy it most likely, but they reused quite a lot of d3 assets and animations/mechanics.

Comment

So you homo erectus are buying the 70 euro or the 100 euro version?

Comment

Originally posted by theshadowcult View Post

i mean, thats about the time it took to do diablo 2 or diablo 3 campaign as well. Seems fine.
                                                                          D1 was innovative at the time so we replayed that 2-3 times if not more. Took about 12 hours or so IIRC. D2 was 35 hours and 200 hours with side quests. D3 did drop the ball tho I finished that in about 15 hours first playthrough.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Going by that video, it does not sound like you would finish the campaign/game in 11 hours unless you more or less do a MQ only playthrough on the super easy difficulty, so unless you want to reach the endgame like yesterday, it will take longer.

So casuls will have a meaty campaign, and those who want to reach the end game grind fast/level several characters will be able to do so, sounds like a win-win situation.

Comment

He didnt rush his playthrough as he said he couldve finished it sooner, but being a pro gamer trying to see it all under a week for his review Im sure he saved time no doubt. But a 20-30 hour game for single player with all side quests is a meager one. Thing is Blizzard moved away from long running campaigns like in Diablo2 long ago. Im playing D2R and have 20 hours approx put in and still in Act 2. That wont be the case for D4 anymore than it was for D3.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

20-30 seems about the right length, if the beta is any indication. I don't really need a 50+ hour diablo game and quite frankly I'd be less likely to replay it with other classes / harder modes if it was that long.

D3 took me like 19 hours. D1 half that.

Comment

Originally posted by KAC View Post
                                                                                  So you homo erectus are buying the 70 euro or the 100 euro version?
                                                                                  100. We get a new Diablo once every 10 years, no need to feel guilty about it.
                                                                                  [Proc: Ryzen 9 7900x][GPU: MSI RTX3060Ti 8GB][Mem: 64GB G.Skill RipJaws 6000-DDR5][Mobo: MSI Pro X670-P][HD: Samsung 2TB NVMe 980 Pro][PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W G2][Audio: Yamaha RX-V673 7.2/JBL 7.2 Surround]

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  X