Good 3rd-person view games for PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good 3rd-person view games for PC

I've noticed that the games I most enjoy and am most likely to actually complete these days, are 3rd person games. Stuff like Darksiders, Spec Ops: The Line, Gears of War, Dead Space etc. Talking about PC versions of course, but I always use a gamepad where possible.
    I've played Dead Space 1 and 2, Spec Ops, Darksiders 1 and 2, Binary Domain, Gears of War 1, Dark Souls..plus probably a few more.
    I got Spec Ops: The Line for $6 off GMG and it was fantastic from start to finish. Money very well spent.
    I'm absolutely at a loss for something enjoyable to play at the moment.
    Apart from Max Payne 3 (which wasn't as nicely priced for Aussies during the recent Steam sale, though I'd love to try it) , have I missed anything good recently? Nothing 'sandboxy' like Saints Row 3; not a fan of that sort of stuff, unless it's GTA4!
    Any suggestions would be great.

Assassins Creed series. I played through them with a x360 controller and they are fun games.
    The last of a dying breed..

Comment

Saints Row 3 is awesome. Also Assassin's Creed games are wonderful 3rd person action (open world quests are optional, you can always follow the main quest in any open world game and it will still give you bang for buck).

Sleeping Dogs is another great game that was released this year. Also, there is Ghost Recon Future Soldier and Hitman Absolution. Finally, in FPS there is Borderlands 2 and Dishonored worth playing.

Comment

You should check out Tiny & Big
        THG is to computer hardware what MTV is to music.

Comment

I'm hoping to see some I've missed too. GoW was my first 3rd person game and I was hooked. Played most of the same games as the OP and need more.

Comment

Originally posted by pcwood View Post
            I'm hoping to see some I've missed too. GoW was my first 3rd person game and I was hooked. Played most of the same games as the OP and need more.
            Have you tried Dark Souls?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy22 View Post
              Have you tried Dark Souls?

Comment

Is the Assassin's Creed series, Batman series and Sleeping Dogs too sandboxy?

Red Faction Armageddon and Dark Void fits the description but aren't great

PoP The Forgotten sands is quite decent. Mass Effect games are good but don't think they have native controller support.
                Last edited by nutcrackr; Dec 14, 2012, 11:26 AM.

Comment

darksiders is my new fun right now. I also enjoyed the lost planet games.
                  Plex / Steam Machine / Hyper-V
                  MSI Gaming B350 Tomahawk |Ryzen R5 5600X |32GB |MSI 3060Ti VENTUS 2X |19TB NVMe/SDD/HDD |Windows 11 Pro
                  Laptop
                  Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Fedora 35
                  VR
                  Oculus Quest 2 / PSVR
                  Consoles
                  SteamDeck|Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBOXSeries|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Saturn|Genesis
                  Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmt View Post
                    darksiders is my new fun right now. I also enjoyed the lost planet games.
                    Forgot about those, that was a lot of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by wonder squirrel View Post
                      Assassins Creed series. I played through them with a x360 controller and they are fun games.
                      After the AssCreed2 I got bored real fast. I am struggling forcing myself to finish Revalations. Even though I bought most of the shops I am about 13% into the story missions.

But I got to say that Asscreed3 looks like fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Qb2k5 View Post
                        After the AssCreed2 I got bored real fast. I am struggling forcing myself to finish Revalations. Even though I bought most of the shops I am about 13% into the story missions.

But I got to say that Asscreed3 looks like fun.
                        I feel the same way, AC2 I loved and wanted to do EVERYTHING. ACB and ACR I played for the story. Makes them much more enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by KickAssCop View Post
                          Saints Row 3 is awesome. Also Assassin's Creed games are wonderful 3rd person action (open world quests are optional, you can always follow the main quest in any open world game and it will still give you bang for buck).

Sleeping Dogs is another great game that was released this year. Also, there is Ghost Recon Future Soldier and Hitman Absolution. Finally, in FPS there is Borderlands 2 and Dishonored worth playing.
                          I played a few minutes of Saints Row and I have to say it looks to be like a blast. I want to finish Darksiders first before I ramp up on Saints.
                          MSI Gaming B350 Tomahawk |Ryzen R5 5600X |32GB |MSI 3060Ti VENTUS 2X |19TB NVMe/SDD/HDD |Windows 11 Pro
                          Laptop
                          Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Fedora 35
                          VR
                          Oculus Quest 2 / PSVR
                          Consoles
                          SteamDeck|Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBOXSeries|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Saturn|Genesis
                          Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.

Comment

I just started Saints Row the Third and it doesn't play as well with a x360 controller. It feels slow and bulky moving around but the game is really forgiving so if you get in the middle of a dozen guys shooting at you most likely you will walk away

Comment

Originally posted by wonder squirrel View Post
                              I just started Saints Row the Third and it doesn't play as well with a x360 controller. It feels slow and bulky moving around but the game is really forgiving so if you get in the middle of a dozen guys shooting at you most likely you will walk away

LOL I noticed that. I was playing a level where you are falling from the sky and dudes are falling with you and shooting you. I couldnt' freak'n aim right, but I never died. Game is very story focus from the little time I played it, so maybe that is why it's so forgiving. It reminds me of an action movie. WAY OVER the top.
                              Laptop
                              VR
                              Oculus Quest 2 / PSVR
                              Consoles

Comment

I'd forgotten about the Batman games. Got them both and loved them. Sleeping Dogs too, spent about 15 hours on that, great game.
                                I played Assassin's Creed 1 years ago on 360 and I found it kind of..dry, so it's put me off the whole series. The settings just don't interest me at all.
                                The Mass Effect games would be perfect, if only they had controller support.
                                I have the first and second games, but I just find the controls don't work for me with mouse and keyboard. Might get a cheap 360 one day just to play through that series, since it looks superb.
                                I wish the recent Silent Hill: Downpour was on PC; only average reviews but I'm sure it would be good to pick up cheap.
                                It's not 3rd person, but I was about to re-install Metro 2033 to give it another go. Can't remember why I never played more than a few hours a year or so ago. Guess I'll find out shortly!

Comment

Originally posted by KevinJAnderson View Post
                                  I'd forgotten about the Batman games. Got them both and loved them. Sleeping Dogs too, spent about 15 hours on that, great game.
                                  I played Assassin's Creed 1 years ago on 360 and I found it kind of..dry, so it's put me off the whole series. The settings just don't interest me at all.
                                  The Mass Effect games would be perfect, if only they had controller support.
                                  I have the first and second games, but I just find the controls don't work for me with mouse and keyboard. Might get a cheap 360 one day just to play through that series, since it looks superb.
                                  I wish the recent Silent Hill: Downpour was on PC; only average reviews but I'm sure it would be good to pick up cheap.
                                  It's not 3rd person, but I was about to re-install Metro 2033 to give it another go. Can't remember why I never played more than a few hours a year or so ago. Guess I'll find out shortly!
                                  Kev,

Maybe this will help?

I have used some keyboard to joystick applications and they work well.
                                  Laptop
                                  VR
                                  Oculus Quest 2 / PSVR
                                  Consoles

Comment

Possibly, but I'm kinda lazy when it comes to setting stuff like that up!
                                    If the developers don't want me to use a gamepad, I won't, or in the case of the Mass Effect games, I won't play at all.

Comment

Possibly, but I'm kinda lazy when it comes to setting stuff like that up!
                                      If the developers don't want me to use a gamepad, I won't, or in the case of the Mass Effect games, I won't play at all.
                                      Touche'
                                      Laptop
                                      VR
                                      Oculus Quest 2 / PSVR
                                      Consoles

Comment

Ass Creed 2 is a huge improvement over Ass Creed 1. I think it is worth a look since you can get it for like 5 bucks on sales.

Comment

Alan Wake if you're into horror-themed games! Great story and setting.

Also, any of the Hitman and Splinter Cell titles.
                                          YouTube Channel

Comment

Dark Souls is the best one.

Dragon agerigins.

Hitman games.

Ass creed games.
                                            ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus

Comment

Hitman you say? I will definitely check out the latest one when the price comes down.
                                              I have Dark Souls on PC and PS3. Both good, but I played too much on the PS3, and got a bit burnt out on it.
                                              Alan Wake was awesome too. Completed it, loved it.
                                              I tried to get into Splinter Cell Conviction but found it a bit lacking.
                                              I'm really at a loss. No games really interest me at the moment! I might even have to dust of the Wii, or possibly check out The Secret World, now that it's sub-free.
                                              Thanks for the suggestions folks.

Comment

Hitman you say? I will definitely check out the latest one when the price comes down.
                                                I have Dark Souls on PC and PS3. Both good, but I played too much on the PS3, and got a bit burnt out on it.
                                                Alan Wake was awesome too. Completed it, loved it.
                                                I tried to get into Splinter Cell Conviction but found it a bit lacking.
                                                I'm really at a loss. No games really interest me at the moment! I might even have to dust of the Wii, or possibly check out The Secret World, now that it's sub-free.
                                                Thanks for the suggestions folks.
                                                Hitman Absolution is for 30 boners on Amazon.com.

Comment

You can grab the Soul Reaver trilogy from steam or GoG for cheap.
                                                  The coin is still turning.

Comment

just a suggestion

I'd throw Warhammer 40k: Space Marine

into the hat too, nice Orc shooting and smashing affair and has been in the steam sale quite recently so might be in the sale again for the holidays.

Comment

Orcs Must Die Fun game. Not sure how it plays with controllers though. might give it a shot and see

Comment

I had completely forgotten but Binary Domain was absolute dope of a game. Totally worth playing.

Comment

Working...
                                                        X