Classic Gaming in VM :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic Gaming in VM :)

Since I upgraded to Windows 8 some of my games like Max Payne 1 and 2; NOLF 1 and 2, and a few others will not run in Windows 8. Instead of trying to fight and play with compatibility settings I decided to load up XP in a VMware Player VM and I'll be amazed this is an awesome solution! So any of you guys VM to game? LOL
    Plex / Steam Machine / Hyper-V
    MSI Gaming B350 Tomahawk |Ryzen R5 5600X |32GB |MSI 3060Ti VENTUS 2X |19TB NVMe/SDD/HDD |Windows 11 Pro
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Fedora 35
    VR
    Oculus Quest 2 / PSVR
    Consoles
    SteamDeck|Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBOXSeries|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Saturn|Genesis
    Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.

That's odd Max payne 1&2 works for me in Win8.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangler View Post
      That's odd Max payne 1&2 works for me in Win8.
      I have steam version to and it just crashes. I even tried the sound fix script that is out there. Worked great on Windows 7 x64, but not doing so hot on Windows 8 Pro x64.

I am a nerd anyway so geeking out on running games in VM
      MSI Gaming B350 Tomahawk |Ryzen R5 5600X |32GB |MSI 3060Ti VENTUS 2X |19TB NVMe/SDD/HDD |Windows 11 Pro
      Laptop
      Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Fedora 35
      VR
      Oculus Quest 2 / PSVR
      Consoles
      SteamDeck|Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBOXSeries|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Saturn|Genesis
      Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmt View Post
        I have steam version to and it just crashes. I even tried the sound fix script that is out there. Worked great on Windows 7 x64, but not doing so hot on Windows 8 Pro x64.

I am a nerd anyway so geeking out on running games in VM
        I also have the steam version, and they both started without issues.

Nolf 2 also seems to work, but I had to install v1.3 in order to get the sound working properly.

Comment

I get a DLL error when I try to run Max payne 1 or 2.
          Laptop
          VR
          Oculus Quest 2 / PSVR
          Consoles

Comment

I get a DLL error when I try to run Max payne 1 or 2.
            Is it a DX9 DLL? It's possible the DX runtimes didn't install correctly when the game was installed. If you grab an actual CD copy of a game or the DX9 redist and try installing that first it might fix the issue.

That said I've attempted to game in a VM but it's kind of a hit / miss scenario. If it's too new it won't run very well or not at all as there isn't much for 3d acceleration. If the game is really old then you can run it in something like DOSBox. One of the games I'd really like to play is SimCopter, but it runs at like 1000x the speed since it wasn't designed with a frame limiter. I never could find a good way to run it were it wasn't choppy or one press of the button and you're half way across the map.
            Q6600 G0 3 gigers - ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme w/ Scythe Kama - XFX 780I - 8GB Patriot 4-4-4-12 DDR2-800 - Diamond HD5870 - Dell 2407WFP - Intel 160GB G2 - X-FI Fatal1ty - Logitech Z5500 - Sennheiser HD555 - ThermalTake Toughpower 850W - CM Stacker 830 Custom - Logitech G5 - Saitek Eclipse II - Windows 7 x64

Comment

I figured it out. It's because of 64 bit as all of these games run fine on my Windows 8 x86 install on the gameroom computer. Anyway, NFS HS, Max Payne 1 and 2, and NOLF 1 and 2 work great in VMware player. No graphic glitches and running in high detail.
              Laptop
              VR
              Oculus Quest 2 / PSVR
              Consoles

Comment

I'm not so sure about that, I'm also using the 64bit version of win8 pro.

Comment

yeah one of the biggest problems I have seen with windows 8 x64 is game compatibility. different installs crash different ways and for some people it works and others **** will not work no matter what you try. I personally cannot get KotOR 1 or 2 to work no matter what I try.

VMware is a good solution especially since workstation and player 9 added in better gpu acceleration support.
                  Main rig: look at system spec tab
                  Storage Server: Dual AMD Opteron 6120 CPUs, 64Gigs ECC Ram 50TB usable space across 3 zfs2 pools

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalfthewhite View Post
                    yeah one of the biggest problems I have seen with windows 8 x64 is game compatibility. different installs crash different ways and for some people it works and others **** will not work no matter what you try. I personally cannot get KotOR 1 or 2 to work no matter what I try.

VMware is a good solution especially since workstation and player 9 added in better gpu acceleration support.
                    I would suggest trying to install any really old games onto C:\*folder name*. The program files directory in windows has some oddities that I've noticed where it seems to be more protective of that location. You can also try grabbing the dx9 .dll files from system32 and putting them directly into the same folder as the game's exe. That could possibly help in certain scenarios.
                    Q6600 G0 3 gigers - ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme w/ Scythe Kama - XFX 780I - 8GB Patriot 4-4-4-12 DDR2-800 - Diamond HD5870 - Dell 2407WFP - Intel 160GB G2 - X-FI Fatal1ty - Logitech Z5500 - Sennheiser HD555 - ThermalTake Toughpower 850W - CM Stacker 830 Custom - Logitech G5 - Saitek Eclipse II - Windows 7 x64

Comment

Could just use Hyper-V that's built into Win8. I've better luck with that already then VMware Player
                      I was banned from P&R because I refer to it as an echo chamber.

Echo Chamber - "an environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered."

This is considered trolling and a personal attack according to Curio. FYI in case you decide to step in there. I wonder if the definition of irony is known...

Comment

Originally posted by AdelphiaX View Post
                        Could just use Hyper-V that's built into Win8. I've better luck with that already then VMware Player
                        From what I read no DirectX or OpenGL in Hyp-V. Not true? VMware plays DirectX 9c and OpenGL 2 comparability.
                        Laptop
                        VR
                        Oculus Quest 2 / PSVR
                        Consoles

Comment

From what I read no DirectX or OpenGL in Hyp-V. Not true? VMware plays DirectX 9c and OpenGL 2 comparability.

Excellent point, I thought they were turning that on though. I haven't loaded anything 3D in mine. I'll take a look over the weekend.
                          I was banned from P&R because I refer to it as an echo chamber.

Echo Chamber - "an environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered."

This is considered trolling and a personal attack according to Curio. FYI in case you decide to step in there. I wonder if the definition of irony is known...

Comment

Real nerds use Linux and run old DOS/Windows games at native speed via Xen passthrough.
                            :: We are all the sum of our tears.
                            :: Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there.
                            :: Too much and best of us is washed away.

Comment

Originally posted by daPhoenix View Post
                              Real nerds use Linux and run old DOS/Windows games at native speed via Xen passthrough.
                              I'm not hardcore enough.... I've tried XEN and KVM and couldn't get either one to work sadly... (I got it all the way up to were the card was seen in Windows, but it would BSOD once I attempted to load the video drivers)

With RemoteFX however, it is easy as pie to get a 3d accelerated session going. Unfortunately it has licensing issues.... I didn't try but now you have me wondering if remoteFX would work with a windows 98 client or not... (I don't think you could load the software...)

Comment

Originally posted by daPhoenix View Post
                                Sombutch! Just read up on Xen passthrough and now I have to play with it. Thanks for giving me something nerdy to do this rainy Saturday!

PS i did run 5 miles this morning in the rain, so I have an excuse to sit around and hack LOL
                                Laptop
                                VR
                                Oculus Quest 2 / PSVR
                                Consoles

Comment

Working...
                                X