Any decent RPG's coming for xmas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any decent RPG's coming for xmas...

I only get to play games at xmas, last one I played was Skyrim...

Any good games coming this year, or has there been a really good one since last xmas... couldn't get into the Witcher 1, I prefer open ended fi8rst person games, although I did enjoy Diablo 1 and Titan's Quest, is Diablo 3 worth the look?

If not I guess I could replay Skyrim with the expansion and mods...

Thanks,

Vanz

If you liked Diablo 1 and 2 absolutely stay away from Diablo 3. Go with a game like Torchlight 2.

Have you played Fallout: New Vegas or Morrowind? Those are great sandbox RPG's that you can get for pretty cheap.
    Diablo 3: IntoTheVoid

Comment

You can also get Borderlands 2 for some first person RPG-esque action.

Comment

How about something more gritty... I'm not feelin the Cartoonish style in Torch Light and Borderlands... I like gritty, scarey and dark...

Comment

There's always Dark Souls if you are willing to play a game that will beat you down until you get good at it.

Comment

Why only at Christmas? Anywho, if you like old-school type rpg's maybe try the Avernum series?
            Last edited by Dungeoncrawler; Oct 15, 2012, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Dark, gritty, FANTASTIC atmosphere. Best RPG ever if you only count the first 2/3's of the game. Not open world but each quest gives you plenty of options and the HUB's have a lot of things to do outside of the main quest. You never feel like you're on rails.

If you've never played it, this game has the highest recommendation I can give to an RPG not named Fallout or Planescape: Torment.

Comment

Originally posted by zodiak View Post
                Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Dark, gritty, FANTASTIC atmosphere. Best RPG ever if you only count the first 2/3's of the game. Not open world but each quest gives you plenty of options and the HUB's have a lot of things to do outside of the main quest. You never feel like you're on rails.

If you've never played it, this game has the highest recommendation I can give to an RPG not named Fallout or Planescape: Torment.
                Two outstanding things to keep in mind - It's still supported unofficially and its really cheap now

Comment

Originally posted by Mangler View Post
                  There's always Dark Souls if you are willing to play a game that will beat you down until you get good at it.
                  My vote goes for Dark souls and xbox360 controller. Best times since 90's torment and baldurs. Dont be annoyed by dying or hardness, it will get easy after a while (once you stop pooing to pants

Amazing atmosphere and immersion, its hard but in a way that is fair and you will know, it was your own fault.

Only thing is, it makes other games look bad.
                  Linux is only free if your time has no value.

pc-masterrace

Comment

Originally posted by zodiak View Post
                    If you liked Diablo 1 and 2 absolutely stay away from Diablo 3. Go with a game like Torchlight 2.

Have you played Fallout: New Vegas or Morrowind? Those are great sandbox RPG's that you can get for pretty cheap.
                    I have to agree. Diablo 3 isn't true to its namesake.
                    Intel i7-5820K ∙ Asus X99-A ∙ Crucial 4x4GB DDR4-2400 ∙ EVGA GTX1080 ∙ Samsung 840 EVO 250GB ∙ ASUS PG279Q + Dell U2713HM ∙ Corsair HX850 ∙ Win10/Ubuntu16 | Xbox One
                    Lenovo T470p ∙ Intel i7-7700HQ ∙ Nvidia 940MX ∙ 2x8GB DDR4-2400 ∙ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB/ZTC M.2 2242 256GB ∙ 1440p IPS ∙ Win10/Ubuntu16

Comment

Originally posted by ViN86 View Post
                      I have to agree. Diablo 3 isn't true to its namesake.
                      I've been enjoying Torchlight 2 so much more than Diablo 3. I've already put more time in and I'm still hooked.
                      Originally posted by Mangler
                      Good work guys, we can't have too many positive posts in a row on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by atomBomb View Post
                        My vote goes for Dark souls and xbox360 controller. Best times since 90's torment and baldurs. Dont be annoyed by dying or hardness, it will get easy after a while (once you stop pooing to pants

Amazing atmosphere and immersion, its hard but in a way that is fair and you will know, it was your own fault.

Only thing is, it makes other games look bad.
                        Get the fixes in the Dark Souls thread and you can easily play with a mouse/KB. I have put in about 4 hours so far. I have no idea what I'm doing yet am hopeless addicted. The more time you play the better you get. The better you get the more fun the game becomes.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy22 View Post
                          Get the fixes in the Dark Souls thread and you can easily play with a mouse/KB. I have put in about 4 hours so far. I have no idea what I'm doing yet am hopeless addicted. The more time you play the better you get. The better you get the more fun the game becomes.
                          I have been playing it on xbox, so no patches

Community on xbox is still alive, can play multiplayer matches.

Dont get yourself killed, keep human and Praise the SUN \o/
                          Linux is only free if your time has no value.

pc-masterrace

Comment

Originally posted by Vanz_007 View Post
                            How about something more gritty... I'm not feelin the Cartoonish style in Torch Light and Borderlands... I like gritty, scarey and dark...
                            Path of Exile is $10 and it's a very dark and gritty ARPG in the vein of diablo.

Comment

I'm replaying Fallout 3 and loving it (despite the crashes) - it's a better RPG than Fallout: New Vegas.

Also going to replay The Witcher 2 again, I think. And the Batman games are fun, though not very RPGish.

Thinking of Dishonored once the price drops a bit....
                              "Healthy democracies don’t decay overnight. They gradually rot from within, with termites like Trump undermining their foundations." - John Cassidy, The New Yorker

Comment

Originally posted by vitocorleone View Post
                                I'm replaying Fallout 3 and loving it (despite the crashes) - it's a better RPG than Fallout: New Vegas.
                                On what level? Everything from story, dialogue, branching quest lines, gray area morality (not shitty Bioware "gray" either) and having a main story seemingly not on total rails (and oh yeah, the radiation-proof mutant won't enter the radiation area to save the world for you) are all vastly superior in New Vegas. The only thing FO3 has an advantage of is the setting, but it was so shallowly made it guts even a lot of that.

If you want to say it's a better sandbox action romp, then fine, but everything that is a staple of the RPG genre is subpar in FO3.

Comment

Originally posted by t0adp1p3 View Post
                                  Path of Exile is $10 and it's a very dark and gritty ARPG in the vein of diablo.
                                  it will go open beta in december, so $0 soon
                                  ”Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” - Albert Einstein

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
                                  Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
                                  - True Blood

Comment

Originally posted by t0adp1p3 View Post
                                    I don't get it?

Path of Exile is a free online-only action RPG under development by Grinding Gear Games in New Zealand.

So is it still in Beta? Is it buggy? I just want to play it when it's ready and not full of bugs...

If it is free (I see some "cost" options) how do they maintain high quality without any income? Have you tried it t0adp1p3, if so how about a mini review?

THanks,

Vanz
                                    Last edited by Vanz_007; Oct 22, 2012, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Another vote for Dark Souls with PC fixes. I've never played anything so merciless before. It will make you want to fist your monitor, and it will make you love it while doing it.

Never played anything so difficult before, or that was so satisfying to beat. What's great though, it isn't difficult because they throw 25 bad guys on you in a 15x15' room, it's difficult because the enemies are truly fast and dangerous, and have multiple ways to take you down, all of which they are very good at.

EDIT: I still love it when you read a message someone left and it says "tears ahead". There usually is.
                                      Last edited by Lazy8s; Oct 22, 2012, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vitocorleone View Post
                                        I'm a fan of FO3 myself. I think that it is the better game but you're going to get flamed of saying that.
                                        Originally posted by Mangler
                                        Good work guys, we can't have too many positive posts in a row on this forum.

Comment

Working...
                                        X