Vista vs XP - game performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vista vs XP - game performance?

If I were to upgrade my OS to Vista, would you generally see a game performance increase or decline over that of XP Pro?
    Why doesn't batman dance anymore?

With your hardware you would see a decline. Most DX9 games will run slightly faster on XP. DX10 only runs on Vista, so there is no means for comparison.

Comment

Probably just a little slower performance, I doubt it would be very noticeable unless you're playing a game that uses over 1.5 gigs of ram alone.
      "If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe

Comment

Vista will kill your first born.
        My Dealings

Comment

Ah right, cheers for the responses.

We will get Vista free through our university but I wasn't going to install it unless there was major performance increases etc.
          Why doesn't batman dance anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by Ristogod View Post
            Vista will kill your first born.
            I owe you +Rep! for that!

Comment

My testing of Vista vs XP in the RTM version showed no hit in the highend performance of gaming. However I did notice a change in low end gaming numbers it was higher. What I mean is my high FPS rates did not drop but my low FPS rates did climb. This resulted in an overall average boost and better stability of FPS rates.

I did this BTW with 1 GIG of RAM so the performance with 2 gig will not be worse as indicated above.
              Edward Crisler
              SAPPHIRE NA PR Representative

#SapphireNation

Comment

I get the same performance from my home machine, with 2 GB of RAM, in Vista, that I get from 1 GB in Win XP. Vista is just a memory hog.

::Heatware:: 69-0-0 // ::Wii Friend Code:: 1304 0169 4539 7606 // ::PS3 & Xbox 360 Tag:: Rezeph

Comment

Originally posted by Crisler View Post
                  I did this BTW with 1 GIG of RAM so the performance with 2 gig will not be worse as indicated above.
                  It certainly would if your games were dipping into the swap..which they would moreso than XP because of much higher OS ram usage (about 200-300 more than xp..) in Vista.
                  Last edited by Roxen; Jan 17, 2007, 12:58 PM.
                  "If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe

Comment

Working...
                  X