No announcement yet.

Official AMD Ryzen 5000 Series & 7000 Series Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still think Intel will put up a good fight in multithread and probably win by 10% in gaming when the GPU isn't binding but it's going to use more power and be even worse with heat. I guess I just don't care enough to wait at this point. They are both disappointing from a thermal standpoint but they are both bringing large improvements to computing right now and my 4 year old 9900K needs replaced.

Comment

do AM4 blocks fit AM5 ?

Comment

Yes, thats one of the good things about AM5. You can use your old AIO and if you are buying a new one then you have wider availability and a larger selection. Check out newegg combo deals. The 7950X is out of stock but it's available with select AIO's that have been around for a long time. AIO's like the H150i are bundled with it. I found a 7950X by itself on amazon so I went with that since I already have a new AIO that's never been opened just sitting on my kitchen table collecting dust for months.

Comment

Originally posted by the_sextein View Post
          Yes, thats one of the good things about AM5. You can use your old AIO and if you are buying a new one then you have wider availability and a larger selection. Check out newegg combo deals. The 7950X is out of stock but it's available with select AIO's that have been around for a long time. AIO's like the H150i are bundled with it.
          good i won't have to drain my system

i will see how my old EK does

Comment

Congrats all, I hope you can give us reviews when you get the rigs built.

Comment

Originally posted by acroig View Post
              Congrats all, I hope you can give us reviews when you get the rigs built.
              going to take weeks this time

i'll get it running in a test case but i need to load windows from stratch this time it's been upgraded too much

i still got my 2080 ti to work on it

have to see what size PSU is in my extea case

luck i no longer have a data cap

Comment

well that didn't take long

up 300

Comment

I'm out of town over the weekend and well into next week. Parts might be here on Friday but kinda iffy if I'll be able to slam it together that day. Might be late next week.

Got drivers downloaded and backed up my stuff though so I'm more or less ready lol

Probably gonna need a new windows 11 oem key though.

AMD Ryzen 7950X
                  32GB Kingston 6400 MT/s
                  MSI X670E Carbon
                  NVidia 4090 FE

Comment

Originally posted by bill dennison View Post
                    do AM4 blocks fit AM5 ?
                    Yes/No, blocks that came with their own backplate needs an am5-kit.

The only ek block that will work out of the box is the supremacy.

Comment

[yt]qQHPE3Z4kmA&t[/yt]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQHPE3Z4kmA

Comment

https://twitter.com/9550pro/status/1574947305803091969

Tweet
                        See new Tweets
                        Conversation
                        3DCenter.org and kopite7kimi liked
                        HXL
                        @9550pro
                        X3D >5Ghz
                        Hope thats true... I might plunk down again if it is. Sounds like they fixed the heat issues on X3D if they can run that fast.
                        I talked to the tree. Thats why they put me away!..." Peter Sellers, The Goon Show
                        Only superficial people cant be superficial... Oscar Wilde

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 22.7.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
                        "Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
                        "The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.plasma-universe.com/pseudoskepticism/

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJeEd7_Cv90

Comment

This launch has been a ****ing disaster, and it clearly shows that the times when people were willing to pay anything to get their shiny toys on day one are over.

People want cheaper motherboards, and they want them NOW, the 7600 and 7700 doesn't make any sense with the current offerings, and the same is almost true for the 7900x.

Honestly, buying a ****ing 4090 makes more financial sense than upgrading to am5 if prices stay as they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangler View Post
                              This launch has been a ****ing disaster, and it clearly shows that the times when people were willing to pay anything to get their shiny toys on day one are over.

People want cheaper motherboards, and they want them NOW, the 7600 and 7700 doesn't make any sense with the current offerings, and the same is almost true for the 7900x.

Honestly, buying a ****ing 4090 makes more financial sense than upgrading to am5 if prices stay as they are.
                              100% agreed, we need B650 mobos stat!

Comment

I wonder if there is a battle behind the scenes where AMD mobo manufactures are sticking it to AMD, because of their long lived socket practices.

I can just see these mobo makers pulling this stunt and Lisa Su losing her ****.

Hell, I'm willing to entertain the idea that Intel is using money to push these mobo makers to pull this stunt.

Comment

Originally posted by AllexxisF1 View Post
                                  Hell, I'm willing to entertain the idea that Intel is using money to push these mobo makers to pull this stunt.
                                  Don't go full 'tin foil hat' on me.

Comment

Oh I'm sure its just the Mobo manufactures wanting to make more money because f-it, everyone else is raising prices on everything, why shouldn't we.

Lisa Su must be slamming her shoe on her damn desk at this point. She has a winning processor on her hands and mobo manufactures are literally screwing her over.

There is always this though, Mobo manufacturers might think they're going to make out, but they won't. When they aren't making sales and boards are sitting on the shelf, they will lower them fast.

Comment

can you use all these M2's without cutting lanes to the GPU ?

Comment

Originally posted by AllexxisF1 View Post
                                        Oh I'm sure its just the Mobo manufactures wanting to make more money because f-it, everyone else is raising prices on everything, why shouldn't we.

Lisa Su must be slamming her shoe on her damn desk at this point. She has a winning processor on her hands and mobo manufactures are literally screwing her over.

There is always this though, Mobo manufacturers might think they're going to make out, but they won't. When they aren't making sales and boards are sitting on the shelf, they will lower them fast.
                                        well part of it is when Intel was on top Mobo manufacturers just made less i think
                                        Intel prices the CPU's so high didn't leave them as much room
                                        and Intel was top dog so long they controled the Mobo manufacturers more

i don't think AMD controls the Mobo manufacturers at all at this point they still don't have the power that Intel did

two when AMD MB were cheap they were kind of plain even the top boards didn't have the bells and whistles the Intel boards did

oh the good old days when the top Intel CPU's were 1000+ and the top MB were still 500

Comment

With the 13k gen being cheaper I think itll be an inversion of prices. High mobo price to moderate cpu...

Also wondering if theres a BOM for amd mobos thats higher than intel... maybe volume?

Bit of a confusing setup but seems B650e is the sweet spot if priced right.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...0high%20speeds.

I talked to the tree. Thats why they put me away!..." Peter Sellers, The Goon Show

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 22.7.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
                                          "Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
                                          "The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

lol "slamming her shoe on the desk"

And yes the 7600x makes very little sense at this point. As of late yesterday you could get a X670E asrock steel legend for under $300. I guess that isn't "cheap" but I'm not sure I'd throw shoes around over it.

AMD Ryzen 7950X
                                            32GB Kingston 6400 MT/s
                                            MSI X670E Carbon
                                            NVidia 4090 FE

Comment

AMD details the RDNA 2 GPU inside of Ryzen 7000 series 'Zen 4' CPUs
                                              As for the RDNA 2-based GPU, it has great video encoding and decoding abilities, with support for decoding and encoding H.264 and H.265 as well as AV1 decoding support. AMD even has DisplayPort 2.0 UHBR10 support in its new Ryzen 7000 series CPU and its integrated RDNA 2-based GPU.

NVIDIA's best and brightest new Ada Lovelace GPU architecture and new GeForce RTX 40 series graphics cards do NOT support the new DisplayPort 2.0 standard, yet AMD's current-gen RDNA 2-based GPU inside of the new Ryzen 7000 series "Zen 4" CPUs has better display connectivity than even the flagship GeForce RTX 4090 graphics card.
                                              https://www.tweaktown.com/news/88633...pus/index.html

wonder if this added cost to the MB's ?

Comment

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/88633...pus/index.html

wonder if this added cost to the MB's ?
                                                It might, but many of expensive boards only have hdmi out.

Comment

Hmm, I guess the strix boards are "reasonable" priced if you take advantage of the bundle deals, that is, unless you want a 7600x, then they don't make any sense.

Comment

can you use all these M2's without cutting lanes to the GPU ?

yes 5.0 lanes 16 for gpu 8 for nvme 4 for chipset the pcie gen 4 lanes are coming from chipset. arstechnica has the pci-e lane block diagrams.
                                                    Main rig: look at system spec tab
                                                    Storage Server: Dual AMD Opteron 6120 CPUs, 64Gigs ECC Ram 50TB usable space across 3 zfs2 pools

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalfthewhite View Post
                                                      yes 5.0 lanes 16 for gpu 8 for nvme 4 for chipset the pcie gen 4 lanes are coming from chipset. arstechnica has the pci-e lane block diagrams.
                                                      thanks

was thinking on waiting on 5.0 nvme

but they may not fit

It Looks Like PCIe 5.0 NVMe SSDs Require Bigger M.2 Slots
                                                      https://www.pcmag.com/news/it-looks-...igger-m2-slots

what is a good 4tb m2

looking at this gen 4

https://www.westerndigital.com/produ...sd#WDS400T2X0E

Comment

Check this out.
                                                        https://wccftech.com/msi-x670-b650-m...imit-features/

They say you can set the thermal limit to 75C with a negligible performance loss. Most likely AMD set it to 95C so that a few golden samples can run faster for benchmarks. Also, the overclocking feature can squeeze another 4% out of it. Setting the TJmax at 85C down from the default 95C actually improved performance by 1%.
                                                        Last edited by the_sextein; Sep 28, 2022, 04:08 PM.

Comment

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X - Asus X670E Crosshair Extreme - 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6200 - MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming Trio - 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4.0 NVMe SSD - Three 8TB Sabrent Rocket Q NVMe SSDs in 24TB RAID-0 - Corsair 7000X case - Corsair H170i Elite cooler - Corsair AX1600i power supply - Razer Blackwidow V3 Pro keyboard - Logitech G Pro Wireless mouse - 77" LG G1 OLED display - Denon AVR-X3500H receiver - Klipsch 5.2.2 Reference Premier speakers with Martin Logan 800X subs

Comment

What cooler are you going to use with it?
                                                            Lenovo x61t - Display : 12.1 (Multi-Touch) - CPU : Intel Lv7700 @1.8ghz - Graphics : Intel GMA X3100 graphics - Chipset : Intel 965 Express - Communication : Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
                                                            10/100/1000 Ethernet - RAM : G.skill ddr2 800 4gb - Storage : G.Skill 64 SSD(SLC) - Battery : 8cell

Current Desktop [2016]
                                                            Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 860Pro 512GB/ 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w

Comment

7950X at the same performance levels as stock running at 75C under max load. Yeah it kind of sucks about gaming performance being at the same level as last gen but Intel is only claiming 15% single thread and thats not going to translate to more than 10% gaming. These might even gain some of that back toward the system end of life cycle where the extra large cores could come into play. Maybe the 4090 will bring more out of these next gen CPU's from both Intel and AMD than it does last gen as well. Allowing them to spread their wings more. Either way, this video makes me happy. Thats the perfect level of multithread performance at the perfect temperature and the best gaming performance at the moment that will continue to be competitive in the future.
                                                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaOYYHNGlLs
                                                              Last edited by the_sextein; Sep 28, 2022, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Congrats thats 4

UPS has mine for tomorow

ordered a
                                                                WD_BLACK 2TB SN850X NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 7,300 MB/s - WDS200T2X0E

for the boot drive

Comment

I'm torn between waiting for a 5.0 NVME or just buying a 4.0 NVME. I might wait since the largest performance increase is coming from the 4090 and the new NVME may come out between now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by the_sextein View Post
                                                                    I'm torn between waiting for a 5.0 NVME or just buying a 4.0 NVME. I might wait since the largest performance increase is coming from the 4090 and the new NVME may come out between now and then.
                                                                    after i read the 5.0 NVME maybe bigger for cooling i don't know if they will fit

and that they may need cooling

i'll buy gen 3 or 4 fore the rest latter

Steam doesn't need 5.0

and use the samy 2tb gen 3 i got for the crosshair viii hero i'm moving to thr bike trainer

Comment

Originally posted by 0091/2 View Post
                                                                      What cooler are you going to use with it?
                                                                      Corsair H170i Elite in a 7000X case.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X - Asus X670E Crosshair Extreme - 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6200 - MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming Trio - 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4.0 NVMe SSD - Three 8TB Sabrent Rocket Q NVMe SSDs in 24TB RAID-0 - Corsair 7000X case - Corsair H170i Elite cooler - Corsair AX1600i power supply - Razer Blackwidow V3 Pro keyboard - Logitech G Pro Wireless mouse - 77" LG G1 OLED display - Denon AVR-X3500H receiver - Klipsch 5.2.2 Reference Premier speakers with Martin Logan 800X subs

Comment

https://twitter.com/3DCenter_org/sta...20960013836289

Interesting CB 23 results. 10 min runs are slower than one minute showing heating causing throttling and that seem more an issue on intel than amd. So ya seems good cooling is a must all around now.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...n-Review-2356/

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Originally posted by pax View Post
                                                                          https://twitter.com/3DCenter_org/sta...20960013836289

Interesting CB 23 results. 10 min runs are slower than one minute showing heating causing throttling and that seem more an issue on intel than amd. So ya seems good cooling is a must all around now.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...n-Review-2356/

it will be interesting when i get a 7900x in a open air test case on a Noctua NH-D15

Comment

This guy on reddit ran a bunch of coolers and apparently air works better than we would expect... tho he recommends good aio's for the bigger chips.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...story_here_is/

So, overall. while the chips say they run at 95, some of them have a clear happy place. while cpus like the 7600X seems fairly happy on ANYTHING on it.

The 7700x is happy with anything with 4 pipes and a 120mm fan, so hyper 212 fans rejoyce.

Both the 7900x and 7950x are happy with any proper large tower cooler or good aio.

i'd personally recommend a good air cooler for 7600x, 240 aio or double tower cooler for a 7700x, 360 for 7900x and 420 aio for the 7950x. it never hurts to go a little overkill on the cooler and having some margin is better then bare minimum.

more notes is that ANY cooler you get MUST mount to the backplate. as now the retention bracket is what holds the backplate in place. any cooler that requires backplate removal won't work this gen.
                                                                            Some pretty interesting results...

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

7700X seems to be a killer CPU. Beats the 12900K using DDR 5.

Man, these CPUs when they come out with 3D cache, are going to be dope.

What a time to be alive.
                                                                              Last edited by Megaman; Sep 28, 2022, 09:21 PM.

Comment

still looking for a good waterblock

i got a old ek supremacy all copper running on my 3800x now but it's been running in there for 4 to 6 years

most likely need to pull it apart check the fins and see if they are still there
                                                                                and replace the o ring if i can get one

Comment

Ryzen 7000 Delidding - Unreal Temperature improvement with Direct-Die Cooling
                                                                                  [yt]y_jaS_FZcjI[/yt]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_jaS_FZcjI

seems the IHS is too thick just for cooler compatibility with AM4 coolers

at about 15:00 he says you could take about 1.2mm off the top of the IHS and get better temps

thats a lot of lapping
                                                                                  Last edited by bill dennison; Sep 29, 2022, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  X