No announcement yet.

Official AMD Ryzen 5000 Series & 7000 Series Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel cpu has the same kind of temp limit Tjmax at 105c. Diff is intel throttles at 105c but amd doesnt at 95c. 95c is max on benches like prime95 what you hit on a normal 360 aio and it doesnt throttle. Games are in the 70c's. Thats pretty good. Id worry more about overall watts and volts than heat here as in I wouldnt oc and jack up voltage. Undervolt at some point sure but might not be needed to keep sustained boosts.

[yt]qQHPE3Z4kmA[/yt]

From 12m30s
    Last edited by pax; Sep 26, 2022, 12:14 PM.
    I talked to the tree. Thats why they put me away!..." Peter Sellers, The Goon Show
    Only superficial people cant be superficial... Oscar Wilde

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 22.7.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
    "Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
    "The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.plasma-universe.com/pseudoskepticism/

Comment

They were using a 0.05v undervolt in one of the reviews I was reading, maybe techpowerup. Seemed like their sample was fine with that. When I get mine I will probably run at defaults for a while and burn the system in (hah!) that way. Then dial in an undervolt later on.

AMD Ryzen 7950X
      32GB Kingston 6400 MT/s
      MSI X670E Carbon
      NVidia 4090 FE

Comment

I used some of your links for my review roundup. Thanks, guys!

Also, I changed the thread title to better reflect the topics being discussed.

Comment

Does anyone know when these will go up for sale tomorrow?

Any bets on if the websites will crash? Like as per normal?

AMD Ryzen 7950X
          32GB Kingston 6400 MT/s
          MSI X670E Carbon
          NVidia 4090 FE

Comment

Originally posted by Riptide View Post
            Does anyone know when these will go up for sale tomorrow?

Any bets on if the websites will crash? Like as per normal?
            I do not know.

Probably.

Comment

Guide to Zen 4, Socket AM5, and AMD’s Newest Chipsets @ Ars Technica

Are you interested in buying a new AMD Ryzen 7000 Series CPU, but don’t know where to start? Here’s the article for you!

AMD's Ryzen 7000 launch is bigger than just the processors. The processor architecture is changing, but it's also being accompanied by changes to everything from the chipset to the physical socket that the chips plug into. The last time this many things changed at once was back in 2017, when the first-generation Ryzen chips originally launched.

So we're publishing two Ryzen pieces today. One is a look at the actual chips' performance and power efficiency, located here. This one will focus on all the other changes, including the ones that will be with us long after Ryzen 7000 is old news.

We'll split this piece up into four parts that cover the four major components of the Ryzen 7000 launch: 1) the Zen 4 CPU core, 2) the on-chip I/O die that supports the CPU's non-CPU features and handles internal connectivity, 3) the 600-series chipsets that handle most external connectivity, and 4) the physical AM5 socket that will outlive all of the other components by a few years.

Click here to read the full article.

Comment

We are getting alot more performance from modern CPU's than we were when AMD was down for the count. This is a solid admission from AMD but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. Game performance is within 5% of the 12900K and temps are terrible which I feared but still. Power efficiency is good but not as great as AMD made it out to be at their presentation and the long waits for the system to boot is also a major negative.

On the plus side, it's delivering massive multithread performance, there were no serious platform bugs mentioned by reviewers, the chip comes fully optimized at stock (within 1-3%) of max possible performance. The price was $100 lower than I originally expected as well.

I think Intel will match the multithread performance and burn the 7950 up in gaming. Intel will gulp more power but both chips will be unacceptably hot. In the end, I think Intel will have the better high end chip. Which is actually the opposite of what I was expecting. I thought AMD would be about equal in both gaming and multithread with way better temps. I knew Intel would be able to pull ahead with unlocked power that pushed the CPU up to 100C but simply had no interest in that. AMD's lackluster game performance and terribly hot temps have sunk this baby. At stock the 7950X runs 32C higher temps than my 9900K 5Ghz all core OC when gaming.
                Last edited by the_sextein; Sep 26, 2022, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Seems to me the x3d versions are gonna kick ass.
                  CROSSHAIR X670E HERO / R7 7700X / RTX 4090 GAMING OC / TRIDENT Z5 NEO RGB 6000 CL30 / SAMSUNG 980pro 1TB / 2x SAMSUNG 980 1TB / H150i ELITE LCD / ATH-A2000Z / HX1200 / AW3821DW 38" / LG C2 OLED evo 55" / Enthoo 719 / K70 MKII + Zowie S2 / K57 + Harpoon / Xbox Series X Controller / REVERB G2 V2

Comment

Originally posted by Riptide View Post
                    Somebody was talking about a hard pass if thermals get to the point that they are now and that they weren't comfortable with 90c or higher load temps. Might've been in the Intel thread, not really sure. So I guess they're out lol
                    Might have been me too.

Not a fan of having a chip run at 203F.

Intel looks to run at 221F.

Way to boil the water in my loop guys.

Comment

Originally posted by demo View Post
                      Seems to me the x3d versions are gonna kick ass.
                      What is the release timeframe on those?

Comment

Originally posted by andino View Post
                        What is the release timeframe on those?
                        Early next year according to rumors, with a possible announcement at CES 2023.

Comment

Pre-order was available on Amazon for...

About 30 seconds then sold out and went unavailable.

lol tomorrow gonna be a total **** show like usual.

AMD Ryzen 7950X
                          32GB Kingston 6400 MT/s
                          MSI X670E Carbon
                          NVidia 4090 FE

Comment

Originally posted by Android1 View Post
                            Early next year according to rumors, with a possible announcement at CES 2023.
                            IMO, they'd be better off announcing right after the intel release.

See what they put out and then go up.

Comment

If they do announce X3D it will cut into their current chip sales among the general population that doesn't know better. Also, you have to question how hot a 16 core X3D CPU would run and how far they would have to clock it down to get it stable. The normal 7950 is already going to be given a run for it's money in multithreading even at 5Ghz all core. If AMD continues to make two different chip series that are competitive at two separate things they will be beaten by Intel who can be competitive at both gaming and multithreading on a single chip.

Comment

7600X looks like a dope CPU. I need to check out the other reviews, haven't had time as yet but these look promising

Comment

MSI Shares Official Pricing for its X670 and X670E Motherboards in Livestream

Starting at the bottom with the Pro X670-P WiFi, we're looking at a US MSRP of US$329 excluding tax and an EU MSRP of €395 including VAT. Next up we have the MPG X670E Carbon WiFi for US$499/€599, which is a steep jump in the eurozone, but it's actually less than what the current exchange rate from US dollar to Euro is, if you add 20 percent VAT.

This is followed by the MEG X670E ACE for US$799/€969, which doesn't look like a particularly attractive option. Finally we have the MEG X670E Godlike, which retails for US$1299/€1599, but with early listings in Europe showing it at €2399. It puts the Godlike more in line with the previous Godlike board from MSI, but it's likely to be one of the most expensive X670E boards on the market. It's mentioned in the live stream that prices are expected to come down sometime after the initial launch and this is something we've also heard from other motherboard vendors. MSI aren't mincing any words about their pricing, but that's not going to help anyone interested in getting onboard AMD's AM5 platform. The live stream is linked below for those that are interested in more details about these boards from MSI.
                                  https://www.techpowerup.com/299263/m...-in-livestream

Comment

Yikes. If that's MSI pricing.. good luck with ASUS. $799 for the ACE when it's $599 on Z690..

Rough.
                                    Originally posted by curio
                                    Eat this protein bar, for it is of my body. And drink this creatine shake, for it is my blood.
                                    "If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe

Comment

did they up the number of pcie lanes in AM5 or is it still 24 ?

Comment

I believe it's 28 lanes on the 670E. The Ace is way overpriced and considering most people won't get any benefit from PCIE 5 during the lifetime of these boards I'm starting to seriously question going this route. Maybe the B650E would be the better buy. If PCIE 5 NVME actually provides any benifit you could still get it from those boards and the 5090 will not be bandwidth limited by PCIE 4.0. I'm planning on keeping the platform for four years so PCIE 5 will provide nothing for the extra $350. I also don't need 5x PCIE 4.0 NVME slots with an add in card or 20 USB ports. These boards are silly.

Comment

IMO, they'd be better off announcing right after the intel release.

See what they put out and then go up.
                                          Perhaps it’s just not ready yet.

Comment

ASUS X670E and X670 Motherboard Prices Leak, including ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme for 8,999 RMB ($1,285 USD)
                                            https://www.thefpsreview.com/2022/09...-rmb-1288-usd/

ROG Crosshair X670E HERO 785

Comment

at them prices.

Comment

Originally posted by the_sextein View Post
                                                I believe it's 28 lanes on the 670E. The Ace is way overpriced and considering most people won't get any benefit from PCIE 5 during the lifetime of these boards I'm starting to seriously question going this route. Maybe the B650E would be the better buy. If PCIE 5 NVME actually provides any benifit you could still get it from those boards and the 5090 will not be bandwidth limited by PCIE 4.0. I'm planning on keeping the platform for four years so PCIE 5 will provide nothing for the extra $350. I also don't need 5x PCIE 4.0 NVME slots with an add in card or 20 USB ports. These boards are silly.
                                                PCIE 3 lasted a decade Im sure PCIE5 with 4x the bw can last almost as long as well. So more than just one or 2 gen of gpu. But then its a first gen mobo... not sure I want to cut my teeth on a first gen mobo again.
                                                I talked to the tree. Thats why they put me away!..." Peter Sellers, The Goon Show

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 22.7.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
                                                "Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
                                                "The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Originally posted by Megaman View Post
                                                  at them prices.
                                                  yea i'll wait 6 months or so

they will come down from lack of sales

and at 4k i can live without maybe 2 FPS at these prices

Comment

Originally posted by pax View Post
                                                    PCIE 3 lasted a decade Im sure PCIE5 with 4x the bw can last almost as long as well. So more than just one or 2 gen of gpu. But then its a first gen mobo... not sure I want to cut my teeth on a first gen mobo again.
                                                    What I'm saying is PCIE 4 will last the entire lifespan of this board so you don't need PCIE 5 at all. You will be able to benefit from NVME 5.0 with a B series board and the PCIE 5.0 slot of the GPU will not be of any bandwidth benefit for the next 4 years. 2 years from now the 5090 will come out and it won't come even close to pushing PCIE 4.0 past it's limit. That card will last another 2 years so you have four years with no need for PCIE 5.0 on the GPU slot. Possibly more.
                                                    Last edited by the_sextein; Sep 26, 2022, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Ya def and we'll see even more cache on gpus as the 4090 went from 6 megs of L2 to 96 megs which helps there as well. Thats a huge increase. So a pcie 5 mobo can probably take gpus several gens from now, Id see 6-8 years easy, and a pcie4 surely 2 gens at least as well.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mangler View Post
                                                        I dunno, feels like it's worth waiting for the 7800x3d when you see just how well the 5800x3d stacks up against the 7xxx series.

AMD shot themselves in the foot by releasing that one.
                                                        Originally posted by AllexxisF1 View Post
                                                        The 5800X3D gonna keep lots of folks from upgrading.

The new chips are great, power hungry, but great. But if you're upgrading for 1440 gaming ....uh nope. For productivity, oh hell yes.
                                                        That was my takeaway too. 5800X3D looks really good. Not always the fastest, but always up towards the top, and in some games actually ahead.

It's not worth the cost of expensive mobo, plus new DDR5 memory, plus the CPU for such a relatively minor increase in performance, especially since at 1440P+ you're still CPU limited much of the time.

I'll wait for 7800X3D and by then hopefully some reasonably priced B550s are out, and DDR5 is a little cheaper.

Comment

Going to attempt a 7050X purchase tomorrow.
                                                          AMD Ryzen 9 7950X - Asus X670E Crosshair Extreme - 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6200 - MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming Trio - 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4.0 NVMe SSD - Three 8TB Sabrent Rocket Q NVMe SSDs in 24TB RAID-0 - Corsair 7000X case - Corsair H170i Elite cooler - Corsair AX1600i power supply - Razer Blackwidow V3 Pro keyboard - Logitech G Pro Wireless mouse - 77" LG G1 OLED display - Denon AVR-X3500H receiver - Klipsch 5.2.2 Reference Premier speakers with Martin Logan 800X subs

Comment

So, on a few different topics:

Temperature Being 95C- As far as this goes, I don't think it's really a big deal. The CPU temperature isn't the same as power draw or amount of heat it's pumping into the room. The clearly tuned the CPU so if it's not at throttle temp to just increase voltage/frequency until you get there. If it's really safe for the CPU (which would be pretty crazy if it's not since they designed it to do this) then it simply maximizes performance.

Overclocking- Outside of curve optimizer and memory tuning it looks to me like CPU overclocking is dead. The CPU already boosts to the max out of the box, and doesn't even leave any thermal headroom. It's going to be very hard to do better than that manually. Curve optimizer should still allow getting a bit more frequency out of it at a given power draw/temperature.

7950X Performance- So, 7950X looks good, and if "time is money" then it's a good buy for someone. However, the fact the efficiency is lower compared to the 5950X makes the comparison a little bit misleading. The 5950X is totally power limited when fully loaded, so if you push the power limit up to the same as the 7950X you can pretty easily get another 10% performance out of it. Compared to the 5950X it looks like what we're getting is something like 10% IPC, 10% frequency, and 10% higher power target. If you are doing stuff where it doesn't really matter if it takes a little longer than the greater efficiency of the 5950X may be advantageous. (Of course, you could also set a lower TDP for the 7950X, but the point being the difference in performance is not quite a big as its presented to be).
                                                            Last edited by Nagorak; Sep 26, 2022, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Might have been me too.

Not a fan of having a chip run at 203F.

Intel looks to run at 221F.

Way to boil the water in my loop guys.
                                                              You have a custom loop? Are you getting one tomorrow?
                                                              Lenovo x61t - Display : 12.1 (Multi-Touch) - CPU : Intel Lv7700 @1.8ghz - Graphics : Intel GMA X3100 graphics - Chipset : Intel 965 Express - Communication : Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
                                                              10/100/1000 Ethernet - RAM : G.skill ddr2 800 4gb - Storage : G.Skill 64 SSD(SLC) - Battery : 8cell

Current Desktop [2016]
                                                              Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 860Pro 512GB/ 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w

Comment

Originally posted by 0091/2 View Post
                                                                You have a custom loop? Are you getting one tomorrow?
                                                                I do have a custom loop.

I'm holding off until I see what Intel has to offer. If it's a 20% increase in gaming and a 40% increase in workload speeds like a lot of places are suggesting then I'll have a pretty interesting decision to make.

I already have a LGA1700 backplate for my EKWB waterblock. So I can save some money there.

EDIT: I really want to go AMD this build. I wanted to go AMD last build too. But it looks like MB prices will dictate which way I lean. Just like last time.
                                                                Last edited by andino; Sep 26, 2022, 09:33 PM.

Comment

AMD definitely seems to be at a disadvantage with new release motherboard prices, versus Intel's platform having had time to settle in.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagorak View Post
                                                                    AMD definitely seems to be at a disadvantage with new release motherboard prices, versus Intel's platform having had time to settle in.

why is that

this looks about the same as a ROG Crosshair X670E HERO
                                                                    https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-maxi...quicklink=true

AMD 785 good for 4 years +

and Intel 600 and good for this gen only
                                                                    with Intel the AIB's get you every year

and yea they are high now but most likely to drop 10% to 15% in 6 months or so after the first rush

my asus x370 crosshair vi hero wifi and 1800x is still going till i buy a X670E and move one of my crosshair viii down
                                                                    Last edited by bill dennison; Sep 26, 2022, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bill dennison View Post
                                                                      why is that

this looks about the same as a ROG Crosshair X670E HERO
                                                                      https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-maxi...quicklink=true

AMD 785 good for 4 years +

and Intel 600 and good for this gen only
                                                                      with Intel the AIB's get you every year

and yea they are high now but most likely to drop 10% to 15% in 6 months or so after the first rush
                                                                      AMD compatibility is limited to the generation and MB as well to a certain extent. Sure, some 5000x cpus works on x470 motherboards but the chipset does limit what the motherboard allows. New generational stuff, like the extra usbs and such, are limited. Also, there were a few motherboards that just didn't allow for the 5950x power requirements. So people who bought those MBs and were looking to upgrade to the 5950x had to buy new boards.

Plus, AMD has pretty much said that new 7000 series chips require new MBs as they are DDR5 only.

Maybe that is why they cost so much. All the MB manufacturers know that everyone will need a new one and they can charge what they want for them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

AMD compatibility is limited to the generation and MB as well to a certain extent. Sure, some 5000x cpus works on x470 motherboards but the chipset does limit what the motherboard allows. New generational stuff, like the extra usbs and such, are limited. Also, there were a few motherboards that just didn't allow for the 5950x power requirements. So people who bought those MBs and were looking to upgrade to the 5950x had to buy new boards.

Plus, AMD has pretty much said that new 7000 series chips require new MBs as they are DDR5 only.

Maybe that is why they cost so much. All the MB manufacturers know that everyone will need a new one and they can charge what they want for them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                                                                        they are also a new socket and a new socket type
                                                                        no more pins on the CPU

and some 5000's work on some x370's

mostly it was a too small of bios chip on the x370's to hold all the bios's

and you can't help if a new chip needs more power than a older MB will handle

i had a Crosshair 6 hero with a 1800x upgraded to a 3800x then upgraded to a Crosshair 8 wifi with the 3800x
                                                                        then replaced my zenith extreme/1900x with a second Crosshair 8 wifi and 5900x
                                                                        i don't think i could have done that on intel all on the same socket in 5 years

now threadripper was disappointing but after crossfire died there was no point of it for me
                                                                        Last edited by bill dennison; Sep 27, 2022, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Ryzen 7000 has a QUAD channel memory bus? So 4 sticks better than 2 sticks of RAM?
                                                                          I guess it's the trend nowdays with games; either you are a hardcore PC GAME, or you live long enough to see yourself become a console port

Comment

I'm on a discord group and I can tell we have tons of people waiting to try and compete with bots and scalpers for the stock today.

GL to anyone who wants to buy. Not looking good lol

I'm sure it's all going to drop while I'm stuck driving to work and can't do anything about it anyway.

AMD Ryzen 7950X
                                                                            32GB Kingston 6400 MT/s
                                                                            MSI X670E Carbon
                                                                            NVidia 4090 FE

Comment

Mobo manufactures know people that buy a new mobo are probably going to keep it for the lifecycle of AM5. So better to charge them double the price because once they buy they ain't buying again.

Comment

How is non EXPO memory going to work with these motherboards? I'm assuming you can't use DOCP on them so are you stuck manually setting timings for every value and clock speeds?

AMD Ryzen 7950X
                                                                                32GB Kingston 6400 MT/s
                                                                                MSI X670E Carbon
                                                                                NVidia 4090 FE

Comment

Working...
                                                                                X