Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...232-layer-nand

AMD Ryzen 7000 Demoed With Phison PCIe 5.0 SSD and Micron's 232-Layer NAND

In the first sighting on a Ryzen 7000 system outside of AMD's own demos, Phison today showed off its PCIe 5.0 SSD controller dishing out slightly more than 10 GBps of throughput on a Zen 4-powered system at the 2022 Flash Memory Summit.

Phison has partnered with AMD and Micron for the launch of its PS5026-E26 SSD controller, more commonly known as the E26, and those drives will come to retail in September. Given that AMD has said PCIe 5.0 SSDs will be available in time for its Zen 4 launch, it appears the pieces will be in place for the Ryzen 7000 launch that's rumored to occur on September 15.

Nice... Its gonna be a fun fall with all the new HW.
    I talked to the tree. Thats why they put me away!..." Peter Sellers, The Goon Show
    Only superficial people cant be superficial... Oscar Wilde

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 22.7.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
    "Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
    "The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.plasma-universe.com/pseudoskepticism/

Comment

Originally posted by pax View Post
      https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...232-layer-nand

Nice... Its gonna be a fun fall with all the new HW.
      I don't think pci-e 5 ssd is going to be worth it for a lot of gamers. PCI-4 ssd barely offer any noticeable load time improvements. If they offer more than 4tb I might be interested.
      Lenovo x61t - Display : 12.1 (Multi-Touch) - CPU : Intel Lv7700 @1.8ghz - Graphics : Intel GMA X3100 graphics - Chipset : Intel 965 Express - Communication : Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
      10/100/1000 Ethernet - RAM : G.skill ddr2 800 4gb - Storage : G.Skill 64 SSD(SLC) - Battery : 8cell

Current Desktop [2016]
      Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 860Pro 512GB/ 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w

Comment

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-795...oost-170w-tdp/

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X, Ryzen 9 7900X, Ryzen 7 7700X, Ryzen 5 7600X CPU Specs Leaked: Up To 16 Zen 4 Cores, 5.7 GHz Boost, 170W TDP
        We have one more crucial piece of information that we were able to learn. According to the same sources, the AMD Ryzen 7000 Desktop CPUs based on the Zen 4 core architecture may only allow users to undervolt the chip itself.
        Could still get some boost out of it...
        I talked to the tree. Thats why they put me away!..." Peter Sellers, The Goon Show

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 22.7.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
        "Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
        "The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-795...oost-170w-tdp/

Could still get some boost out of it...
          Which one of models do you have your eyes on?
          Lenovo x61t - Display : 12.1 (Multi-Touch) - CPU : Intel Lv7700 @1.8ghz - Graphics : Intel GMA X3100 graphics - Chipset : Intel 965 Express - Communication : Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
          10/100/1000 Ethernet - RAM : G.skill ddr2 800 4gb - Storage : G.Skill 64 SSD(SLC) - Battery : 8cell

Current Desktop [2016]
          Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 860Pro 512GB/ 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w

Comment

Oh Id wait for X3D versions a couple months later. But might skip this gen for the 8000's and 700 version mobos as the 5800X3D here is plenty fast. Im waiting to see how the 7000 radeon play on the PCIE3 gen mobo here first.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/87759...ign=newsletter

AMD Ryzen 7000 series CPU: August 29 announcement, September 15 launch

AMD to announce Zen 4-powered Ryzen 7000 series desktop CPUs on August 29, reviews on September 13, launch on September 15.
              Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/87759...ign=newsletter

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

AMD did a presentation for upcoming mobos for X670. Didnt expect this this early:

https://event.on24.com/eventRegistra...82&mode=launch

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

AMD did a presentation for upcoming mobos for X670. Didnt expect this this early:

https://event.on24.com/eventRegistra...82&mode=launch
                  Those extended form factor mobo looks expensive AF. Are they going to be $700+?

Current Desktop [2016]

Comment

Wouldnt be surprised they didnt state any pricing... nice to see 2.5gb to 10gb nics becoming standard. Tons of USB... But these were pretty much all the high end boards.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Originally posted by 0091/2 View Post
                      Those extended form factor mobo looks expensive AF. Are they going to be $700+?
                      That link is dead but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see $700+ boards even in standard ATX.
                      Wouldnt be surprised they didnt state any pricing... nice to see 2.5gb to 10gb nics becoming standard. Tons of USB... But these were pretty much all the high end boards.
                      Yah 1Gb NICs need to die getting wayyy long in the tooth there. Gigabit plus ISP service is getting more available and cheaper all the time. Asus even has routers out now with multiple 10Gb WAN/LAN ports too.

AMD Ryzen 7950X
                      32GB Kingston 6400 MT/s
                      MSI X670E Carbon
                      NVidia 4090 FE

Comment

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryze...-10-zen3-cores

I guess that rumor/leak awhile back about the AM4 getting new lower end cpus was correct. I wonder if the rest of it will come true, more X3d parts.
                        Quotes:

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus

Comment

AMD Ryzen 9 7900X Delivers Nearly 50% More Cache Bandwidth than the 12th Gen Intel Core CPUs [Leak]
                          https://www.hardwaretimes.com/amd-ry...ore-cpus-leak/

AMD Ryzen 7000 CPU Specs Leak: Up to 5.7GHz Boost Clock, 80MB Cache, and 170W Power Draw
                          https://www.hardwaretimes.com/amd-ry...0w-power-draw/

Comment

Does anyone know if the 7000 series will have stronger GPU's onboard later on to effectively succeed the current APU lineup, or have they just decided to make them all APU's but like intel with pretty generic/weaksauce/stripped down GPU's onboard?
                            ------Squachbox 2022------
                            Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 full size aluminum chassis
                            Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750watt PSU
                            AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
                            Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
                            2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
                            BenQ Mobiuz EX2710S 27" FHD monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
                            Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
                            Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
                            Samsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe
                            HyperX Cloud Stinger wired headset

Comment

Lisa Su said it would be basic gpus on all cpus to get at the oem market. APU will be a separate product. They still need apus for laptops so might as well still have them for desktops.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

So do you people here think and can compete this time? I'm worried that we're going back to monopoly way too soon
                                I guess it's the trend nowdays with games; either you are a hardcore PC GAME, or you live long enough to see yourself become a console port

Comment

Originally posted by Napoleonic View Post
                                  So do you people here think and can compete this time? I'm worried that we're going back to monopoly way too soon
                                  I think they can every release the performance gap is getting smaller to intel.
                                  AMD will have my money if their CPU is equal to Intel and runs cooler.

Current Desktop [2016]

Comment

AMD will have my money if their CPU is equal to Intel and runs cooler.
                                    I'm thinking the same, especially due to socket longevity. Feels like every new Intel chip requires a new mobo to go with it.

Comment

AMD will have my money after multiple chipset drivers and 20 new bioses are released.

In SpongeBob’s voice… 3 generations later.

Comment

Originally posted by Napoleonic View Post
                                        Yes, IPC, frequency, cache, chip manufacturing are blow for blow equal. AMD's design might even be a little more thought out but it looks like Intel managed to squeeze a little more than I thought they would out of their 8 large cores on 10nm. It's going to be close and competitive from the looks of it.
                                        Last edited by the_sextein; Aug 8, 2022, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by acroig View Post
                                          I'm thinking the same, especially due to socket longevity. Feels like every new Intel chip requires a new mobo to go with it.
                                          Buying 2 chips during a four year period is sheering at it's most obvious as it's clearly a sales gimmick that rips the user base and provides nothing of value. You will have a GPU limitation for four years if you buy a proper high end CPU that will last 2 GPU cycles easily. Installing a new high end chip on an old dying mobo is illogical and will still be bound by the same GPU limitation. I have no idea why people cry about this unless they are buying mid range chips because next gen midrange will finally tap out the bandwidth of your last gen mobo.

This isn't a plus for high end users in case you didn't notice. It provides more money savings for penny pinchers that buy midrange every 4 years on dying platforms in order to save 80 dollars on a garbage mobo or it allows people who made poor CPU decisions to keep up with the high end by buying 2X the amount of CPUs and spending 2X the amount of money during the same four year period to achieve the same GPU bottleneck that a real high end CPU should provide for four years by itself.

All this does is encourage Intel and AMD to stop making CPU's that can last 4 years and force everyone to spend 2X as much on 2X as many chips every 4 years. I would rather see AMD continue to compete with Intel rather than use this lazy strategy to "apple" the uninformed for nickels and dimes. Making uniformed behavior a trend is the best way to make money as you don't have to improve your product as much and the uninformed will be happy to throw more money at it as long as it's "the best". They will even go on about it like it's a positive thing that they have to upgrade 2X as often and can be charged 2X as much for the same performance. Unbelievable. Why is it a negative thing that Intel builds platforms that actually last 4 years without needing another CPU generation purchase that is so lacking in innovation that it can run on a last gen platform?

I saw this with my 9900K as users who bought the 3700 and 3900 would boast about being able to upgrade. They paid the same price as the 9900K and waited a year after the 9900K's release only to have slower performance and then they paid for another high end CPU 2 years down the road and finally achieved what I had the whole time for half the price. Looks at Kac's benchmarks on his 5900 and compare it to my 9900K from 2 years earlier. Same performance, I feel bad for anyone that paid AMD for a 3900 and then a 5900X just to have the same performance I had a year earlier for half the cost. I'm glad I don't need to upgrade my CPU on an old platform every two years to stay at the 3090TIs GPU bottleneck because that would suck.
                                          Last edited by the_sextein; Aug 8, 2022, 07:55 AM.

Comment

BTW acriog I hope you don't take that last post as an attack on you personally. This is a common thing I see high end CPU enthusiats talking about and I'm honestly interested in discussing it. I don't think it's a bad thing at all that AMD is offering compatablility options for it's users as long as it's not holding their new tech back. I'm just at a loss as to why high end users seem to value something like this during a time where things have been GPU bound for the last decade.

Back when I had a Pentium 3 600Mhz I was CPU bound all the time on my Voodoo 5 and upgraded it to a Pentium 3 800Mhz which was still CPU bound at times. When the gefore 3 came out I upgraded to a 1000Mhz chip and it still didn't do the trick. It wasn't until I upgraded to the AMD FX 51 that my CPU bind was out of the way for a while. These days it seems like if you buy a high end GPU and CPU the GPU will be bound for two years and then when you replace it, it will still be the limiting factor of the system. Sure you could get an extra 5-10FPS to your miniums here and there but that's just as bad as spending an extra 500 on a 3090 over a 3080 for gaming.

Perhaps AMD's 3D V cache will make it worth while? Upgrading now when a new generation of CPU is on the horizon doesn't seem like a good idea to me but perhaps people who need the 7900 will want to upgrade to the 3D vcache version in a few years? I don't know, games just don't seem demanding enough on the CPU for me to think that would be worth it during these times. It seems like a bad trend that people just follow to needlessly buy new chips that don't do much for them at the moment. Maybe down the road when resolution stops increasing in a meaningful way and RTX effects are no longer killing the GPU things could reverse to the way they were but I just don't see this option as a very important one at the moment. I would defiantly be interested in hearing the opinions of current AMD users or users like yourself that like this feature so much to help me better understand where you are coming from.

I can understand wanting the latest and greatest but what is the point of upgrading if your old CPU is not binding you up 95% of the time and why would you not want to replace an old mobo when upgrading to a new generation chip since it has limiting PCIE, wifi, bios options ect?
                                            Last edited by the_sextein; Aug 8, 2022, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Lots of ifs there. A 5800x3d has virtually the same perf on my x370 as it does on the latest mobo. I look forward to seeing how a 7900xt gpu runs on pcie3 to see if its is a limiting factor since we are moving to 24 gigs of video ram on the board. If it runs well my x370 could stay competitive with the latest mobos for another 3 years at least.

Mobos can physically last 10+ years easy. But their limiting factors may cut 2-4 years from that we'll see. My old phenom 2 965 saw 3 gens of gpus on it and ran fine. Tho thats not to say future changes like cpu core count increases or RT or HD streaming wont kibosh that at some point for some time.

Im thinking a pcie 6 or 7 mobo might be so powerful that it wont need replacing for 8-10 years as long as gpu's can run on their pcie socket.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Probably not, PCI E doesn't need to be replaced often. The 3090TI isn't using PCIE 3.0 to it's fullest and we are already on PCIE 5 and talking about PCIE 6. My main complaint is that it's been 4 long years and a person is buying an entire new system, possibly replacing their hardrives and moving up from DDR4 to DDR5 and people are talking about keeping a 4 year old mobo and buying 2 differant CPU's when the 980, 1080, 2080, and 3080 have all been GPU limited their entire lifespan?

Unless you got ripped off with some $600 overclocking mobo that was meant for liquid nitrogen, I just don't see why it would have any appeal to stick with an old 4 year old board. Spending $350 on a new mobo with the latest features every 4 years is not a big deal in my mind. Why spend $500 on two sperate occasions for two processors when the first one still isn't the limiting factor in your system? I would Just keep the mobo and CPU until the CPU is a limiting factor and then replace them both. Either way the mobo will last the same amount of time and you won't have wasted money on a second CPU that did nothing for you. If it did do something for you then you bought the wrong CPU the first time.

Just in the last few years we have seen resizable bar, ddr5, multiple PCI-E formats and a new storage technology from Microsoft that hasn't even been integrated into any games yet. I would much rather keep the extra $500 spent on a pointless CPU upgrade and spend it on a nice new motherboard the next time I actually need a CPU upgrade. Money better spent. I work in an industry where the mobo is used for 10-20 years sometimes and they tend to have solder joints melt and it's a pain to trouble shoot. Getting support for a board that old is a no go as well. Nobody in there right mind would keep a board beyond 4 years unless they are just riding on it until it dies to save money. Either way it's not a good thing for high end users especially when it's greatest feature is being compatible with newer chips with new features that it can't use properly.
                                                Last edited by the_sextein; Aug 8, 2022, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Thats a tough call... If I would get more perf from a new mobo than a new cpu upgrade Id have done that and kept the 1700x which was running fine. I think just about any 8 core is good for years yet. Well save maybe bulldozer at this point.

But I did get some uplift from the 5800x3d with the same old gpu that a new mobo wouldnt have given me. Its getting hard to do more upgrades because gpu prices have gone nuts. Honestly the current old mobo and old cpu could have run a 3090 or 6900 gpu easy.

And I bet itll be the same thing in the next gpu gen this fall. I sometimes think I should have kept every penny saved from a mobo and/or cpu upgrade for a gpu alone. But the kick of running a new cpu 5 years after buying a mobo was too much to resist. And it did give me better perf to the same level, so far, as the latest x570. Im not seeing the vendors making a good case for upgrading mobos or cpus for most use cases anymore.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Hmm interesting, I can see what you mean about keeping competative CPU speed for a generation and wishing you had saved more on the system and put more into the GPU.

As someone who upgrades every four years I can say that the last few upgrades I have made all required a new mobo to get the most out of them. For one, I switched from sata 1 to 2 to 3 and then to ssd and then nvme and now nvme 4.0. This alone is worth upgrading for, other than NVME 4.0 which will probably pay off once Microsoft's new storage tech is used in Unreal Engine 5 releases.

DDR 5 is already at parity or faster than DDR4 and four years from now the speeds will be way ahead of where they are now. New mobo's support faster DDR5 RAM speeds that could not be done before and DDR4 will be a bottleneck for sure.

Support for resizable bar was a simple bios upgrade for me but any system older than 4 years didn't get that bios support and can't use the feature.

My mobo is 4 years old and it's PCIE 3.0. It's very possible that the 4090 could break PCIE 3.0 limits. I don't know for sure, it was clearly not going to happen with the 3090 but if the 4090 is 2x the speed then it could theoretically hit PCIE 4.0 levels of usage in some cases. In 4 years from now PCIE 5.0 could be required if the GPU industry continues to be the limiting factor in the PC industry and strong competition continues to drive the industry forward.

Even Windows 11 had bios requirements, most of which could be worked around but I just wouldn't trust a board to be supported properly that far into it's life. Tech giants have a hard enough time supporting all the various configurations from the last 2 years alone.

If a board is not going to be used more than 4 years and high end CPU's continue to be bottlenecked by the GPU for a full 4 years 95% of the time or more than I just can't see it being a must have feature. Especially if you are buying high end gear it seems like cheeping out on the mobo wouldn't even be a interesting proposition.

Comment

I wouldn't cheap out on the motherboard this time. The x670e has more ports and storage slots then I know what to do with. I think pci-e 5 is overkill for what non professional consumers needs. There's diminishing return in having faster storage for gaming. Benchmarks only shows a 2sec difference in load times from pci-e 3 to pci-e 4.

How much power will PC 4-5yrs from use? Are we going need psu larger than 1KW?

Current Desktop [2016]

Comment

oops! I think you meant to post in a different thread?:

Comment

Originally posted by the_sextein View Post
                                                          oops! I think you meant to post in a different thread?:
                                                          What do you mean? Did I get the ryzen 7000 motherboard chip wrong?

Current Desktop [2016]

Comment

Im still on the fence of grabbing a 7000 cpu with the am5 x670e to replace the current rig that would replace the ancient secondary 8350 bulldozer rig... It seems to have plenty of things to make it a long term investment but what if PCIE6 is enough of a thing for the microsoft direct storage tech? Short of getting some solid info I think Ill wait for the 8000's on x770.

But for sure unreal 5 using direct storage cant be ignored. Using nvme now on the old x370 but guess we have to wait for that killer app to see if pcie 5-6 is needed.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Im still on the fence of grabbing a 7000 cpu with the am5 x670e to replace the current rig that would replace the ancient secondary 8350 bulldozer rig... It seems to have plenty of things to make it a long term investment but what if PCIE6 is enough of a thing for the microsoft direct storage tech? Short of getting some solid info I think Ill wait for the 8000's on x770.

But for sure unreal 5 using direct storage cant be ignored. Using nvme now on the old x370 but guess we have to wait for that killer app to see if pcie 5-6 is needed.
                                                              Do you need pci-e 6? Couldn't you just raid 0 2x pci-e 5 ssd to get similar performance?
                                                              Those boards has 4x pci-e 5 slots?

Current Desktop [2016]

Comment

Would it be an issue running direct storage on 2 nvme's? Its again dependent on the app if its latency sensitive in some way... I want to see a performance analysis on some uber unreal 5 game that needs unfettered nvme access before plunking down ~3 grand on a rig.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

What do you mean? Did I get the ryzen 7000 motherboard chip wrong?
                                                                  No, I thought you were trying to give advice in the other thread at the top of the pile. Nevermind me

I agree that PCIE 5 is not needed right now as PCIE4 has not really been put to use yet. Of course all of the new stuff will support it for the same upcharge so there is no real reason to avoid PCIE5 though. Might as well pay the same amount and get a board with PCIE5 that supports everything for the next 4 years. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that I read that direct storage will work on any NVME drive even on PCI 3.0 but version 4.0 or higher will give the most benefits and that it will be supported with new releases over the next year. Direct storage and the 4000 series will probably start using PCIE 4.0 speeds and it could be a long time before PCIE 5 is needed. Maybe in about 4 years towards the end of life of a new system bought in a few months but overkill is probably an accurate way to describe it. I don't think you will need to RAID NVME's or use PCIE 5 to get the most out of direct storage or the next 3 graphic card series.(most likely even longer than that)

Thats a good question regarding power, it's hard to say if AMD and Nvidia have hit a wall that requires a power bump or if they are simply pushing the current tech to it's limit before moving on to a more power efficient MCM design. Not enough is known about the MCM designs to say how power hungry they will be. It does look like CPU's are getting more and more crazy as well. I'm not really even sure how much efficiency they will gain once they get down to 2nm and beyond. We grew up in a time where the sky was the limit, I remember when intel was talking about 6Ghz CPUs back in 2005 and here we are in 2022 and they are pushing insane power draw and heat and still have not quite reached it yet. Maybe humanity is about to hit a technological barrier they don't know how to navigate around.
                                                                  Last edited by the_sextein; Aug 8, 2022, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I wonder how difficult it will be to get a X670 board and CPU on launch day. Do I need to break out the bot again?

What does the "E" variety get you anyway other than some extra storage I/O?

For DDR5 right now the best 'value' seems to be CL30 5600mhz stuff at around 250$ for 32GB.

What really interests me is the 3D cache versions which won't be available at launch and could be who knows exactly how long until they're out.

AMD Ryzen 7950X
                                                                    32GB Kingston 6400 MT/s
                                                                    MSI X670E Carbon
                                                                    NVidia 4090 FE

Comment

Originally posted by Riptide View Post
                                                                      I wonder how difficult it will be to get a X670 board and CPU on launch day. Do I need to break out the bot again?
                                                                      By the looks of it demand has gone soft for tech so maybe within the week?

Comment

When the 5950x and 5900x came out they were almost impossible to get. I had to score mine with an amazon script and it still took weeks to get one and another month to ship.

Yah the shortage isn't what it once was but this is still a new product. I'd be tickled if it was in stock for a week after launch.

I want to get off this older motherboard and get 2.5-10Gb ethernet support with WiFi6E. I really want a 3D cache version though so it's either hold out and wait for months after launch or get a 6c/12t CPU to tide me over.

AMD Ryzen 7950X
                                                                        32GB Kingston 6400 MT/s
                                                                        MSI X670E Carbon
                                                                        NVidia 4090 FE

Comment

When the 5950x and 5900x came out they were almost impossible to get. I had to score mine with an amazon script and it still took weeks to get one and another month to ship.

Yah the shortage isn't what it once was but this is still a new product. I'd be tickled if it was in stock for a week after launch.

I want to get off this older motherboard and get 2.5-10Gb ethernet support with WiFi6E. I really want a 3D cache version though so it's either hold out and wait for months after launch or get a 6c/12t CPU to tide me over.
                                                                          So hard to predict what availability will be. Looks like production issues have eased and so has demand. After the enthusiasts buy there should be plenty left I'd guess.

Comment

I get the feeling that most people who bought computers during the pandemic lock down were like the people hoarding toilet paper. They probably won't be acting like that anymore and most won't be buying new systems for another decade. Many people are impulsive and probably blew through the government handouts and simply can't continue to buy new tech as it's launched every year.

So here is my dumb prediction based on what I have seen and read so far just for kicks.

I have a feeling that AMD will launch first at lowered prices vs Zen 3 and Intel will retaliate with a slightly more expensive chip that is slightly faster but it will have higher power and heat. If you release the power limits then you can get another 14%giving it a solid advantage but at temps that are unmanageable. Within 8 weeks of that, we will see 3D cache versions of the 7000 series hit the market which will probably leave AMD on top at the end of the year and Intel will probably need a moment to respond despite them knowing that it's coming. My guess is the highest end 3D Vcache chip with the highest core count will be $900 and gaming king, I don't know about multi threading but I suspect the 7000 series will be close in performance with better power and temps in that regard... I predict this because there is nothing else to do and I think it the most probable outcome. What are your predictions?

Comment

What does the "E" variety get you anyway other than some extra storage I/O?

For DDR5 right now the best 'value' seems to be CL30 5600mhz stuff at around 250$ for 32GB.

What really interests me is the 3D cache versions which won't be available at launch and could be who knows exactly how long until they're out.
                                                                              Ig go 6000 or faster with 1/1 IF

https://wccftech.com/ddr5-6000-memor...-desktop-cpus/

From what we have learned, it looks like AMD's Ryzen 7000 Zen 4 CPUs will most definitely have DDR5-6000 as their sweet spot, allowing a 1:1 IFC ratio. A 1:1 ratio means that the memory is running with the same frequency as the memory controller on the processor and that should offer a best-case scenario. With Alder, Intel has broken down the memory ranks into two categories, a 2:1 mode known as Gear 2 which is the default for DDR5, and a 4:1 model known as Gear 4. The advantage that a 1:1 brings to the table is that it will allow for lower latencies and a balanced speed while a higher ratio will allow for better overclocking, & faster data transfer rates but will also lead to poor latencies.
                                                                              Zen is more sensitive to memory speed than intel.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Ig go 6000 or faster with 1/1 IF

https://wccftech.com/ddr5-6000-memor...-desktop-cpus/

Zen is more sensitive to memory speed than intel.
                                                                                Very helpful, thanks for the link! +rep

Local MC is out of DDR5-6000 and prices are soo high!

Comment

They are probably saving up DDR5 stock for the actual launch of the new platforms so people can buy them in combos. I have heard that AMD has planned something like that to keep 6000mhz RAM in stock and at decent prices during the launch. It would be nice if that happens but you never know.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  X