No announcement yet.

Official AMD Ryzen 5000 Series & 7000 Series Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya but imagine if you had gone for the 11900K.... you'd be pissed after seeing the 12900K.

I don't think AMD does that but you get my point?

Comment

I'm not sure that I would. Yes the 12900K is better but if you did your research then you knew what performance you were paying for on the 11900K and you were good with that. The 12900K isn't doing alot that my old 9900K isn't doing because of the GPU limitation. That will change when the 4000 series comes out from Nvidia but until then it was a pointless upgrade. Might as well upgrade your CPU when the next big GPU drops and let it ride for four more years. That's what I'm gonna do. Different strokes...

Comment

I love the multi spec headline only to end it with (rumor).

Comment

Originally posted by Megaman View Post
          I love the multi spec headline only to end it with (rumor).
          Well until parts release you can only speculate.

Comment

Looking forward to see how much better the 7800x3d is from my 5800x3d. Being so gpu bound tho its hard to imagine its worth the added expense of ram and mobo on top of cpu.

Also saw my buds new 5800x non 3d tonight and damn is it ever a cool running chip. 27c idle on a Corsair h100x and 65c on gaming load. His cooler is not much diff from my DC 280mm aio. Heck I idle at 60-65c on the aio. Gaming load is at 65-70c but the aio pump/fan ramps at gaming.

Huge diff in perf but def huge diff in heat as well especially at idle/desktop. Hope they fix that in the next gen. Im not seeing any throttling from heat but I wonder if at some point game engines like Unreal 5 will push the cpu hard enough to do so.
            I talked to the tree. Thats why they put me away!..." Peter Sellers, The Goon Show
            Only superficial people cant be superficial... Oscar Wilde

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 22.7.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
            "Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
            "The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.plasma-universe.com/pseudoskepticism/

Comment

I've started coming around to the view that chasing after a CPU bottleneck is kind of a waste of time at high refresh rates. Most of the time you are GPU limited anyway, but more importantly in cases where you're CPU limited, you're so CPU limited that another 20-30% just isn't going to be enough to change it much.

Depending how you look at it, either you accept 100-115 FPS is already good enough, or on the other hand 145-150FPS still isn't good enough. For the most part you're not going to end up getting over 200 FPS in games that are severely CPU limited without a lot more performance than is on offer by the next generation or two.

Comment

I've been kinda thinking along those lines lately too. Wondering if at 4K whether there is really much to be gained with upgrading to AM5. I already have a 5950x.

In the end I like having the latest and greatest even if it is expensive. It is kind of hard to justify though especially with CPU updates when the only truly taxing thing you put your computer through is games at 4K.

AMD Ryzen 7950X
                32GB Kingston 6400 MT/s
                MSI X670E Carbon
                NVidia 4090 FE

Comment

Its still the same basic issue for the last 20+ years . You can run 3-4 gens of gpus on the same cpu but almost never run the same gpu with 2 or more gens of cpus... I can and have waited 5-8 years to upgrade a cpu. But keep a gpu 3-4 years or more and it hurts.

Comparing cpus is more a fun technical exercise than actual expense. I wouldnt buy am5 until the 2nd or third gen and even then. Ive skipped entire sockets like am3.
                  I talked to the tree. Thats why they put me away!..." Peter Sellers, The Goon Show

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 22.7.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
                  "Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
                  "The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Yeh you're right pax, I generally try to get 2 or 3 gens of GPU per CPU.
                    CROSSHAIR X670E HERO / R7 7700X / RTX 4090 GAMING OC / TRIDENT Z5 NEO RGB 6000 CL30 / SAMSUNG 980pro 1TB / 2x SAMSUNG 980 1TB / H150i ELITE LCD / ATH-A2000Z / HX1200 / AW3821DW 38" / LG C2 OLED evo 55" / Enthoo 719 / K70 MKII + Zowie S2 / K57 + Harpoon / Xbox Series X Controller / REVERB G2 V2

Comment

I agree as well. I usually get:

8 years from computer tower-Two system builds (preference)
                      8 years from hardrives, (4 years main, 4 years secondary)- two builds
                      12 years Power supply (10 year warrenty)-3 builds
                      4 years CPU mobo RAM- 1 build
                      2 years GPU-1 with build and 1 upgrade mid cycle.-two per build.

I buy a new mobo, ram, GPU and CPU and then wait two years and upgrade the GPU. Then I wait another two years and buy another CPU, mobo, RAM, GPU combo. Been doing this over and over again for a long time. Used to upgrade every three years back when cards came out every year and now I upgrade every 4 or 5 years and upgrade the cards every two years. I would buy two cards at a time for SLI back then but SLI died and cards ironically cost twice as much now.

The GPU is always the limitation of the system. No point upgrading anything until the GPU limitation is raised to the point where it will make your other components limiting. I expect to see that happen when the 4000 series drops as my 9900k is starting to fall behind the competition even though it hasn't made much of a difference in games at 4k other than a few rare instances so far. Double the GPU power and the 12900K will raise ahead of the 9900K by notable amounts even at 4k.

I don't see myself going over 4K on my panel resolution because I don't have enough space to fit a 120 inch screen in my room but I may use DLDSR to super sample at 4k native so I will still be GPU limited for a while. I don't care about frame rates being sky high. 100 FPS averages with 60FPS minimums is fine with me. If I can get 100 to 120fps then great but the difference is hardly notable. Beyond that is pure mental in my opinion. I don't care about refresh rates beyond 120hz either. There is a small uptick in smoothness jumping up from 60hz to 120hz if you can push 100+ FPS frame rates, anything beyond that is going to be negligible unless you are a cyber athlete or like to blindly follow sales trends.

I'm getting about 4K 80FPS averages right now.
                      Probably see 4K 120FPS averages on 4000 series.
                      After that the goal would be to use DLDSR on 4K native. Of course we have only reached the tip of the ray traced iceberg so there will be an ever present GPU limitation even after super sampling, resolution, and refresh rates have been conquered.
                      Maybe Unreal Engine 6 will achieve photorealism in motion and GPU increases will no longer need to be pushed by the industry as hard as they are now. Maybe a day will come where creative AI and CPU limitations will rise to the forefront again, but it's not likely. Not in my lifetime atleast.
                      Last edited by the_sextein; Jun 24, 2022, 05:32 AM.

Comment

AMD can't be happy with Team Group basically confirming Raphael-X.

Comment

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...-we-know-specs

Comment

They keep saying that the 3D V-cache versions are comming out this year so they would have to launch within 3 months of the normal 7000 series. Since nobody really knows whats going on at this point, it might be worth considering that some 3D cache versions of the 7000 series might land at the launch of the series in September? A Suprise attack maybe? Wishful thinking but I'd like to see the best they've got available this year if I'm going to buy. I'll be interested in seeing what Intel manages to pull off in terms of heat and performance as well. I think the temperature of the chips from both AMD and Intel under a 360 AIO is probably what I'm most interested in seeing. Not necessarily power draw but real world temps using a standard high end AIO.

Comment

Finally got around to installing the DC Assassin 3 air cooler to replace the whiny deepcool 280 aio. Idle temps at 56c. Adjusted fans speed to 40% and temps at 43c idle now. Pump obviously bad. Or the air cooler is relatively amazing.

Just to say the cpu actually runs quite cool... will try gaming later tonight.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Originally posted by pax View Post
                                Finally got around to installing the DC Assassin 3 air cooler to replace the whiny deepcool 280 aio. Idle temps at 56c. Adjusted fans speed to 40% and temps at 43c idle now. Pump obviously bad. Or the air cooler is relatively amazing.

Just to say the cpu actually runs quite cool... will try gaming later tonight.
                                Gaming 57c to 65c max and Geekbench went to 84c for a fraction of a second and stayed under 70c most of the time. Good air coolers are good enough for the 5800X3D. With the slew of other X3D cpus coming I dont see the need for AIO's anymore unless you oc. At least not for AMD.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5-760...r-motherboard/

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 6 Core & 4.4 GHz “Zen 4” Desktop CPU Spotted Running On Gigabyte’s X670E AORUS Master Motherboard, Up To 11% Faster Than Ryzen 9 5950X

Soft launch in August according to some.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

So September retail? Can't wait to see this and Intel 13th gen go head to head.

Comment

Some debate there as to the 4.4 ghz being either all core or baseclock. Story is they can clock much higher ST because 11% isnt great ipc if its just clock improvements. But we dont see the boost clock here.

I think 4.4ghz is just the base clock.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Originally posted by the_sextein View Post
                                        They keep saying that the 3D V-cache versions are comming out this year so they would have to launch within 3 months of the normal 7000 series. Since nobody really knows whats going on at this point, it might be worth considering that some 3D cache versions of the 7000 series might land at the launch of the series in September? A Suprise attack maybe? Wishful thinking but I'd like to see the best they've got available this year if I'm going to buy. I'll be interested in seeing what Intel manages to pull off in terms of heat and performance as well. I think the temperature of the chips from both AMD and Intel under a 360 AIO is probably what I'm most interested in seeing. Not necessarily power draw but real world temps using a standard high end AIO.
                                        With the rumor of the 3D Vcache version not being that many months behind I definitely think it's the better bet to wait for from a gaming standpoint. Hopefully prices are more reasonable this gen than Ryzen 5000 series since AMD and Intel actually seem to be back in competition.

Comment

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-teas...ment-in-august

Comment

Will this work on my X570 mobo?

Comment

No!

Comment

Originally posted by KAC View Post
                                                Will this work on my X570 mobo?
                                                No, new socket.

Comment

Damn.

Comment

Damn.
                                                    You have to wait and see what Intel and AMD bring to the table in Q4 this year. You've said you were going back to Intel a while back, no?

Comment

Yes buying a first gen AMD would be as exciting as castrating a kitten.

Comment

Yes buying a first gen AMD would be as exciting as castrating a kitten.
                                                        ROFL, and you'd want to wait and see when the3D cache version of the new CPUs are released, supposedly late this year.

Comment

I don’t know what I will do. I just know it will be an impulsive purchase and I will regret it for 3-4 months. Then I will make my peace with it and not give a **** anymore.

Comment

I don’t know what I will do. I just know it will be an impulsive purchase and I will regret it for 3-4 months. Then I will make my peace with it and not give a **** anymore.
                                                            , looking forward to the thread.

Comment

There has been a rumor that am4 isnt going to be dropped that quickly and we may see another cpu gen on it... It was largely based on Lisa Su saying that am4 would be with us for some time yet which could mean as a lower budget option or as an overlap for those latecomers on that platform.

Be nice if it ends being more than just an apu...

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

I think it kind of makes sense to keep AM4 around as a DDR4 platform and then make the break to DDR5 on AM5. We'll see if they do it or not though.

Comment

It feels like something like a 3d-cache version of the 5900/50 would be enough to extend the life of am4 for a year or two.

Comment

I personally think the 5900X already is doing well. It is pushing frames on all gaming tasks and the 12900K supremacy on some specific productivity flows is only a few seconds difference. During that time a nerd could probably rub one out and not notice a difference.

Comment

Userbench leak of 7600X

https://twitter.com/harukaze5719/sta...53187984490496

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/54237488

ST

7600x 243

5600x 156

12900k 200

53% faster than a 5600x... not bad.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Most impressive.

Comment

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/...22797640421376

Hardware Unboxed
                                                                          @HardwareUnboxed
                                                                          Just when you think; 'okay they've hit rock bottom, time to grow up and repair the damage'
                                                                          @UserBenchmark
                                                                          finds a new low. It's actually impressive at this point and incredibly funny. Enjoy this try not to laugh challenge...
                                                                          Userbenchmark having a meltdown over the score...

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

They had that part running at max 4.95 ghz with story that zen 4 clocks to 6 ghz... so theres room for even more perf there:

https://twitter.com/Kepler_L2/status...81638991548416

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Originally posted by pax View Post
                                                                              They had that part running at max 4.95 ghz with story that zen 4 clocks to 6 ghz... so theres room for even more perf there:

https://twitter.com/Kepler_L2/status...81638991548416
                                                                              If it can run 6ghz as daily usage would AMD be first to do it?
                                                                              Lenovo x61t - Display : 12.1 (Multi-Touch) - CPU : Intel Lv7700 @1.8ghz - Graphics : Intel GMA X3100 graphics - Chipset : Intel 965 Express - Communication : Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
                                                                              10/100/1000 Ethernet - RAM : G.skill ddr2 800 4gb - Storage : G.Skill 64 SSD(SLC) - Battery : 8cell

Current Desktop [2016]
                                                                              Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 860Pro 512GB/ 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w

Comment

I think we may see non LN2 ocing do 6 ghz. Stock probably less... Probably full loop to cool it but still. AMD seems to be going for clocks this go around and less IPC.

That would be huge.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Originally posted by acroig View Post
                                                                                  You have to wait and see what Intel and AMD bring to the table in Q4 this year. You've said you were going back to Intel a while back, no?
                                                                                  KAC says alot of things
                                                                                  ------Squachbox 2022------
                                                                                  Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 full size aluminum chassis
                                                                                  Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750watt PSU
                                                                                  AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
                                                                                  Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
                                                                                  2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
                                                                                  BenQ Mobiuz EX2710S 27" FHD monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
                                                                                  Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
                                                                                  Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
                                                                                  Samsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe
                                                                                  HyperX Cloud Stinger wired headset

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  X