• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about make use of PCIe 4 first lol.

Comment

Merry Xmas from MSI!

https://wccftech.com/msi-adds-amd-ry...medium=twitter

MSI Adds AMD Ryzen 5000 ‘Vermeer’ Desktop CPU Support To Its 300-Series Motherboards

Do note that not all Ryzen 5000 chips will be compatible such as the Cezanne-based Ryzen 5000G APUs but they might also be coming later to the support list. As for Vermeer-X, which these aren't likely to launch under the Ryzen 5000 branding, we were given the hint from our sources that 300-series motherboards that support Vermeer should also be compatible with the Vermeer-X lineup which launches early next year on the AM4 platform. We have a more detailed article on Vermeer-X CPU support on existing motherboards coming out soon so stay tuned.
      I talked to the tree. Thats why they put me away!..." Peter Sellers, The Goon Show
      Only superficial people cant be superficial... Oscar Wilde

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 22.7.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
      "Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
      "The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.plasma-universe.com/pseudoskepticism/

Comment

And I think tonight Gigabyte just gave us a merry xmas as well!

https://www.gigabyte.com/ca/Motherbo...-10/support#dl

• Major vulnerabilities updates, customers are strongly encouraged to update to this release at the earliest.
        Credits to "Assaf Carlsbad and Itai Liba from SentinelOne"
        • Introduce capsule BIOS support starting this version.
        Update AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.5 for Ryzen 4000 G-Series support
        Change default status of AMD PSP fTPM to Enabled for addressing basic Windows 11 requirements (https://support.microsoft.com/window...7-ae6b0c90645c)
        Note: No Bristol Ridge processors support.
        HFS thats the latest agesa! I just flashed both my bioses with it and booted up fine! To be sure its on the /ca website not the main one yet. Yay Canada!

Goddamn and the bios is a mere 10.8 MB!

Im gonna wait for the processor support list to be udated to be sure if they followed MSI's lead but hell ya if this is true Im gonna slap a ryzen 6k on this puppy! See what kind of perf I get vs a total overhaul of the rig!

Goddamn woohoo! Waited over 2 years for this!

But ya gotta keep my expectations in check here dayum... this might not be what I think it is but still damn that the latest agesa 1.2.0.5 so **** yea!
        I talked to the tree. Thats why they put me away!..." Peter Sellers, The Goon Show

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 22.7.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
        "Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
        "The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

I believe I read that AMD started blocking compatibility at some AGESA version, so the latest AGESA may not allow Ryzen 5000 support. It's possible that's changed though, so we'll just have to see.

Personally I think AMD dropping support for X370 and B350 was a huge blunder. It wasn't an issue during the time they were on top, but now that Intel has retaken the lead, it's just encouraging people to fully switch platforms, rather than keeping them in the AM4 ecosystem. So, from that standpoint, it's not inconceivable that they would reverse their stance, but so far there's no solid indication that they have.

Comment

Ya lump of coal mother****ers. Its really just for ryzen 4000g.

MSI had to stick with 1.1.0.0 version to get the R5K support back in. Shows its doable on x370 but I dont think theres going back from the new agesa it creates a 'capsule' around the bios...

Oh well. I was just sticking to this on principle. I mean it wouldnt kill me to buy a 200$ CAD x570 mobo... I just dont see the need.
            Last edited by pax; Dec 25, 2021, 07:28 PM.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Damn double take again its in the tables:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...0_support_for/

Man havent found anyone who tested this yet...

Edit: I think this is wrong too the file size doesnt match and the F52e nomer ... latest is F51e on x370.
              Last edited by pax; Dec 25, 2021, 07:29 PM.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Things were looking bad as many tried running ryzen 5000 on their x370 to no avail.

But then this happened!

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...-on-300-series

More than a year after the release of the Ryzen 5000 chips that have been a staple on our list of the Best CPUs for gaming, AMD tells us the company is now looking at options to allow the chips to be used with 300-series motherboards. "It's definitely something we're working through. And it's not lost on us at all that this would be a good thing to do for the community, and we're trying to figure out how to make it happen," David McAfee, AMD's Corporate VP and GM of the Client Channel business, told Tom's Hardware during an interview.

The move comes after several motherboard makers unexpectedly added support for Ryzen 5000 models to lowly 300-series A320 motherboards last month, but were purportedly blocked from enabling the same support on more capable X370 and B350 motherboards. That led to withering criticism from the enthusiast community.
                That is the kind of info coming out of AMD that would have me buy the 5800X3D day one.

If its not crazy priced.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Asrock x370 first out the gate with Vermeer Ryzen 5000 bios support :

https://videocardz.com/newz/asrock-r...ermeer-support

Other vendors and ASRock are likely to drop BIOSes for other boards soon. Importantly, due to limited space on the BIOS, AMD had to remove Bristol Ridge support, so keep that in mind when upgrading.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Originally posted by pax View Post
                    Asrock x370 first out the gate with Vermeer Ryzen 5000 bios support :

https://videocardz.com/newz/asrock-r...ermeer-support
                    This is soooo late in the game.In a way i am glad i upgraded the mainboard.The B350 is such a pain in the ass with non-B die memory.
                    I just bought some viper steel 8 gb kit for the old Ryzen 1700 / b350 and the pc is shutting down even at specificied XMP.The CPU was at 3.7ghz.I reduced to 2933 and the xmp timings and was still shutting down.Now is on 2133mhz and default cpu frequency.

https://assets.website-files.com/5cd...2003042020.pdf
                    Last edited by badsykes; Jan 12, 2022, 08:41 AM.
                    "There is no beggining, and there is no end.There is no alpha, and there is no omega.You never began, and you will never end."

Comment

Ya but how much of the ram support was the cpu and not the board. I run my ram at 3433 loose timings or 3200 tight. I stayed on 3200 and it runs stable. I will be curious to see if the 5000 gen improves that.

I think we'll be surprised how many are still running x300 gen boards with anything from 1000 to 3000 ryzens who are looking to upgrade. They are running 5950's on lowly a320 boards so... I doubt anything b350 and up will have any issues.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

It will be interesting to see performance on the the old chipsets. Kinda like RKL performs worse on z490 compared to z590. Then of course what memory speeds are supported too.
                        CROSSHAIR X670E HERO / R7 7700X / RTX 4090 GAMING OC / TRIDENT Z5 NEO RGB 6000 CL30 / SAMSUNG 980pro 1TB / 2x SAMSUNG 980 1TB / H150i ELITE LCD / ATH-A2000Z / HX1200 / AW3821DW 38" / LG C2 OLED evo 55" / Enthoo 719 / K70 MKII + Zowie S2 / K57 + Harpoon / Xbox Series X Controller / REVERB G2 V2

Comment

It will probably be worse, doesn't both x470 and 570 have the edge over 370 when it comes to memory speeds and timings?

Comment

You would lose a bit if your ram cant goto 3600 or 3800 1/1 but the boost to a 5000 gen ryzen is so huge most users might not worry about a few single digit percentages.

If I can get 3600 cas 16 Ill be happy.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Sure, but memory speed aside, are there no other microcode optimisations for x570 over older chipsets? I just know that even with identical memory speeds RKL performs worse on z490 than z590, I would assume something similar with AMD chipsets. Then there's also power delivery and power limits. Perhaps there's no difference at all, just putting it out there.
                              CROSSHAIR X670E HERO / R7 7700X / RTX 4090 GAMING OC / TRIDENT Z5 NEO RGB 6000 CL30 / SAMSUNG 980pro 1TB / 2x SAMSUNG 980 1TB / H150i ELITE LCD / ATH-A2000Z / HX1200 / AW3821DW 38" / LG C2 OLED evo 55" / Enthoo 719 / K70 MKII + Zowie S2 / K57 + Harpoon / Xbox Series X Controller / REVERB G2 V2

Comment

I suspect that a 5900/5950 won't be able to boost as high on the average 3xx board.

Comment

Ya but how much of the ram support was the cpu and not the board. I run my ram at 3433 loose timings or 3200 tight. I stayed on 3200 and it runs stable. I will be curious to see if the 5000 gen improves that.

I think we'll be surprised how many are still running x300 gen boards with anything from 1000 to 3000 ryzens who are looking to upgrade. They are running 5950's on lowly a320 boards so... I doubt anything b350 and up will have any issues.
                                  The point is AM5 will be released soon....
                                  I didn't have patience to wait so much for 5000 series on B350.
                                  There is another point that needs to be addressed and that is BIOS updates.The 300 series may have 1 bios update to add 5000 series but that's it no more support.There is a big unknown and maybe'es and if's.Imo the 300 series platform is done with support.

This is the contents of the latest bios from Asus for my b350

"Support Windows 11 by default, no settings changes required in the UEFI BIOS."
                                  "There is no beggining, and there is no end.There is no alpha, and there is no omega.You never began, and you will never end."

Comment

Itll be fun to just try it out and compare with benches like HU. The bios would be the latest so should be pretty much up to date and x370 and x470 are virtually identical in some cases. I run 1.2.0.5 now and its stable.

If there is a real issue then sure I will look into an x570 on sale but if I can save that money and keep it for 2nd gen AM5 so much the better. Im not sure Ill have the patience to run into first gen am5 issues for upgrades 3-5 years down the road.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment..._for_all_x370/

While ASrock releases support for all X370, Gigabyte SPI locks the latest 1.2.0.5 BIOS for their entire 300 chipset lineup to prevent their customers from using Zen 3 when the microcode for Vermeer and Cezanne is already implemented.
                                      Yep my next mobo on AM5 will be Asrock Taichi.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Stay away from Gigabyte. You’re better off trying to contract aids than lining up to purchase a Gigabyte board.

Comment

Yep lesson learned.

Edit: man some of them even got PCIE4.0 enabled on their boards...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...processors_on/
                                          Last edited by pax; Feb 8, 2022, 06:36 PM.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Yep lesson learned.

Edit: man some of them even got PCIE4.0 enabled on their boards...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...processors_on/
                                            all you would need is a bios update to get PCIe 4.0 working?
                                            Doesnt it need to physically support it too?
                                            ------Squachbox 2022------
                                            Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 full size aluminum chassis
                                            Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750watt PSU
                                            AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
                                            Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
                                            2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
                                            BenQ Mobiuz EX2710S 27" FHD monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
                                            Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
                                            Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
                                            Samsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe
                                            HyperX Cloud Stinger wired headset

Comment

Originally posted by Megaman View Post
                                              Stay away from Gigabyte. You’re better off trying to contract aids than lining up to purchase a Gigabyte board.
                                              I didn't have problems with Gigabyte boards.I have 3 of them.
                                              I usually buy MSI when it comes to boards and vga's.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasquach View Post
                                                all you would need is a bios update to get PCIe 4.0 working?
                                                Doesnt it need to physically support it too?
                                                Guess not for some boards... waiting to see how many more asrock testimonials we get from reddit...

Early on we got PCIE4.0 on some boards but the next bioses quashed it saying it was unstable...

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Originally posted by badsykes View Post
                                                  I also have no issues with Gigabyte.

Ive usually looked for gigabyte and asus branded componentry whenever I look for hardware.
                                                  ------Squachbox 2022------
                                                  Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 full size aluminum chassis
                                                  Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750watt PSU
                                                  AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
                                                  Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
                                                  2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
                                                  BenQ Mobiuz EX2710S 27" FHD monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
                                                  Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
                                                  Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
                                                  Samsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe
                                                  HyperX Cloud Stinger wired headset

Comment

where is the 5800X3D

it's 75f spring has sprung

Comment

Originally posted by Sasquach View Post
                                                      I also have no issues with Gigabyte.

Ive usually looked for gigabyte and asus branded componentry whenever I look for hardware.
                                                      @6:55

You don’t have to experience these yourself but hearing it from tech channels should be enough to stay away.

/shrug

[yt]iJlEDiCnq0c[/yt]

Comment

Originally posted by Megaman View Post
                                                        @6:55

You don’t have to experience these yourself but hearing it from tech channels should be enough to stay away.

/shrug

[yt]iJlEDiCnq0c[/yt]
                                                        Fortunetly the mainboard business have years of experience so getting a bad mainboard has a lower chance than getting a bad PSU from them right now.
                                                        The handling of PSU fiasco and ransomware was immature to say at least.I wouldn't trust the company either handling big events.

Comment

Looks like Zen4 is coming a bit sooner that we thought in Q3:

https://twitter.com/greymon55/status...81119905931273

Greymon55
                                                          @greymon55
                                                          ·
                                                          14h
                                                          Replying to
                                                          @greymon55
                                                          AM5 motherboards will soon be ready for production samples.
                                                          Greymon55
                                                          @greymon55
                                                          ·
                                                          14h
                                                          By the way, this month or so.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Looks like Zen4 is coming a bit sooner that we thought in Q3:

https://twitter.com/greymon55/status...81119905931273
                                                            AMD Ryzen 7000 ‘Zen 4’ CPUs Coming Earlier Than Expected, Rumors Point To Computex Announcement, Early Q3 Launch
                                                            COMPUTEX 2022 is set to kick off from May 24 to 27

Comment

I was gonna wait for 2nd gen am5 mobos to get past the teething problems like we got with first gen am4. But if they can get the ddr5 dialed to 8400 without too much trouble I might give it a go. Dunno if the ram will be affordable tho.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

was going to buy a 5800x3d but i think i'll wait on AM5

Comment

I was gonna wait for 2nd gen am5 mobos to get past the teething problems like we got with first gen am4. But if they can get the ddr5 dialed to 8400 without too much trouble I might give it a go. Dunno if the ram will be affordable tho.
                                                                  You're smoking crack if you think you'll get 8400 lol.

You can't even get Hynix 6000 at this point u less you're paying a scalper $600 for it
                                                                  Originally posted by curio
                                                                  Eat this protein bar, for it is of my body. And drink this creatine shake, for it is my blood.
                                                                  "If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe

Comment

I know pricing is insane but ddr5 is supposed to ramp up oced to well past 7200. One oc has seen 8800 but that was well oced and cooled. I dont mind using modest ram at first but wouldnt mind if the imc and mobo traces can handle better speeds later on. I mean ddr4 3200 is pretty much mundane now but its well oced from standard ddr4 speeds.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nunz View Post
                                                                      You're smoking crack if you think you'll get 8400 lol.

You can't even get Hynix 6000 at this point u less you're paying a scalper $600 for it
                                                                      pax is secretly rich ...

Comment

I know pricing is insane but ddr5 is supposed to ramp up oced to well past 7200. One oc has seen 8800 but that was well oced and cooled. I dont mind using modest ram at first but wouldnt mind if the imc and mobo traces can handle better speeds later on. I mean ddr4 3200 is pretty much mundane now but its well oced from standard ddr4 speeds.
                                                                        Huh? Barely anyone is hitting above 6600 on regular use. There's a few guys that have managed to get ~7200 stable with moderately tight timings but you're talking about binned IMCs and binned Hynix sticks with ambient watercooling or sub-ambient cooling.

We've got quite a bit before you see 8400 for regular Joe shmoe 24/7 daily stable, especially when you don't just need speed, you need tight timings since games typically benefit most from latency, not bandwidth.
                                                                        Originally posted by curio
                                                                        Eat this protein bar, for it is of my body. And drink this creatine shake, for it is my blood.
                                                                        "If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe

Comment

pax is secretly rich ...
                                                                          Wish I was lol. But we know ram prices will drop at some point... ddr4 was crazy at first.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nunz View Post
                                                                            Huh? Barely anyone is hitting above 6600 on regular use. There's a few guys that have managed to get ~7200 stable with moderately tight timings but you're talking about binned IMCs and binned Hynix sticks with ambient watercooling or sub-ambient cooling.

We've got quite a bit before you see 8400 for regular Joe shmoe 24/7 daily stable, especially when you don't just need speed, you need tight timings since games typically benefit most from latency, not bandwidth.
                                                                            I dont expect 8400 anytime soon in a couple years or so. But from what Ive read it will happen and even faster.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Wish I was lol. But we know ram prices will drop at some point... ddr4 was crazy at first.
                                                                              Pricing cycles are becoming longer and longer. Especially with the shortages. I wouldn't expect prices to drop until the markets are saturated and that doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon.

Comment

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/su..._medium=social

Dang HWInfo is already getting updated with Ryzen 7000:

New platform support is usually baked-in three to six months before launch.

Popular PC hardware status and diagnostics utility HWiNFO has added support for the upcoming AMD AM5 platform, which will be the carrier of AMD's ecosystem for the company's forthcoming Zen 4 processors that will power the Ryzen 7000 series. Updated to version 7.2 just today, the support for AMD's AM5 suggests a release window for AMD's latest platform as falling somewhere between three to six months from now, as that's what has historically happened with new hardware release support updates.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

GB might be finally handing out Ryzen 5k enabled bioses for x300 boards:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GAAB350/com...zanne_for_the/

AB350 Gaming 3 - T52d
                                                                                  - 1.2.0.3 Patch B based, enables support for Zen 3

SMU description (In line with ASrock's 1.2.0.3 Patch C bioses for their X370):

56.53.0 (126 KB) Vermeer (VMR) 5xx0 CPU [003FEC00-0041E390]

56.53.0 ( 1 KB) Vermeer (VMR) 5xx0 CPU [0043B300-0043B720]

56.53.0 ( 56 KB) Vermeer (VMR) 5xx0 CPU [00457600-004655E0]

64.46.0 (134 KB) Cezanne (CZN) 5xx0 APU [007B5600-007D6D90]

64.46.0 ( 68 KB) Cezanne (CZN) 5xx0 APU [007F6400-00807310]

Here's a SMUchecker screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/qhUMtRv.png

https://www.mediafire.com/file/hjqyo...ing3.T52d/file

Mirror: https://gofile.io/d/FLsxBW

I already flashed it yesterday, I don't have a Zen 3 but the SMU for my Matisse CPU is indeed consistent with SMUchecker reportings.

I was asked not to share it by Gigabyte support but **** it, first of all I didn't sign no NDA when asking for beta bioses and secondly ALL 300 CHIPSET OWNERS SHOULD HAVE GOT SUPPORT IN LATE 2020/EARLY 2021 JUST LIKE B450 OWNERS so it's already late for most of the early adopters like me.

www.realitysandwich.com

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  X