No announcement yet.

Official AMD Ryzen 5000 Series & 7000 Series Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I doubt it is B Die. Actually I am pretty confident it is not.
    Btw any good nub guides to flash this Tomahawk with latest bios and overclock a Ryzen?

Comment

It's hynix.

AMD Ryzen 7950X
      32GB Kingston 6400 MT/s
      MSI X670E Carbon
      NVidia 4090 FE

Comment

Do you guys think selling the following for 435 bucks is a good deal?

Asus TUF Z370
        32 GB DDR4 3600 RAM OLOy (currently for 98 bucks, I got it for 99 with my ASUS TUF 3080)

???

Comment

It’s better than the zero dollars it’s worth sitting in your house!

I would get rid of it. $435 is pretty good, imo.
          Originally posted by curio
          Eat this protein bar, for it is of my body. And drink this creatine shake, for it is my blood.
          "If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe

Comment

Ok I will sell it today and will be out of computer for about a week or two.

Sold. Now the real wait begins.
            Last edited by KAC; Nov 29, 2020, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KAC View Post
              Ok I will sell it today and will be out of computer for about a week or two.

Sold. Now the real wait begins.

So much sacrifice for an AMD CPU
              "There is no beggining, and there is no end.There is no alpha, and there is no omega.You never began, and you will never end."

Comment

Difficult to find a buyer these days. If you find one just do the deal and gtfo. Fine I paid 2450 for board and processor when I bought it 2 years ago, selling it at half the price made sense. Ram I got my money back so it’s all good.

Comment

Updated my BIOS today to the latest beta. When the new memory comes in, I'm installing that and testing it first with the existing 3800x. After I am confident it works at cl14 3600mhz, then I will try bumping up to 3800mhz and see what happens.

Not installing the 5950x until I've tested the modules out.

AMD Ryzen 7950X
                  32GB Kingston 6400 MT/s
                  MSI X670E Carbon
                  NVidia 4090 FE

Comment

Will a Corsair H150i Pro be enough for cooling this 12 core monstrosity? Do I need to buy a new AIO as well?

Comment

Replace the fans with Noctua A12x25s and that's all you can do. All AIOs are the same ****, the only difference is the fans
                      Eat this protein bar, for it is of my body. And drink this creatine shake, for it is my blood.
                      "If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe

Comment

But those don’t have RGB. Means cooling performance will be poor.
                        But seriously I have 52 CFM fans. Shouldn’t they be enough? Plus with push/pull on the rad it should be fine? That’s why I ordered the bigger Phanteks P500A case as well.

Comment

Does your case support a 360mm rad?

The new AMD cards are a little on the hot side.

Also, may want to look into a AIO that covers the whole die.

Comment

Covers the whole die.
                            Case old and new both support 360. CM did not support push/pull but Phanteks can.
                            I don’t have a Radeon and my TUF in large case runs at 63 C. In small CM case runs at 65 C.

Comment

One tip from me. I had to switch the polarity of some of my fans to get the 3080 + the 5800X working nicely together.

CPU takes in air from the bottom of the case, and the GPU intakes from the top of the case. Both exhaust out of the back.
                              Originally posted by Koenig39
                              Okeh zhentlemain, we well commonce spe-cial operashun "Surraindair" at four-dirty. We well sneek pass dair defances wid our whayt flags held hagh!
                              Originally posted by Pr()ZaC
                              Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
                              Originally posted by Villainess
                              :lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:

Comment

Originally posted by metroidfox View Post
                                One tip from me. I had to switch the polarity of some of my fans to get the 3080 + the 5800X working nicely together.

CPU takes in air from the bottom of the case, and the GPU intakes from the top of the case. Both exhaust out of the back.
                                Are you pulling air into the case from the top rad. I have never tried it but am happy to give it a shot. My new case does not have option to pull air from bottom as it has a full PSU cover.

Comment

5950x and trident z pc3800 cl14 get here on Friday. I'll probably make a little project out of this on the weekend and get it all put together.

Now if I can just get a 6000 series GPU to finish this up...

AMD Ryzen 7950X
                                  32GB Kingston 6400 MT/s
                                  MSI X670E Carbon
                                  NVidia 4090 FE

Comment

That 3800CL14 @ 1.5v stock?

Comment

Originally posted by Nunz View Post
                                      That 3800CL14 @ 1.5v stock?
                                      Correct.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-...82E16820232933

AMD Ryzen 7950X
                                      32GB Kingston 6400 MT/s
                                      MSI X670E Carbon
                                      NVidia 4090 FE

Comment

I always forget CL14 but meanwhile it's 14-16-16. Gimme 14-14-14 bitch!!

Comment

https://www.gskill.com/community/150...yzen-5000-CPUs

lol yah

14-16-16 is the new stuff though evidently, based on what I'm seeing on this announcement page.

AMD Ryzen 7950X
                                          32GB Kingston 6400 MT/s
                                          MSI X670E Carbon
                                          NVidia 4090 FE

Comment

Isn’t 1.5volts too high? Pretty sure I can squeeze CL14 out of my CL16 kit at 1.45 volts if my experience with older G Skill and Corsair rams holds true.

Comment

Isn’t 1.5volts too high? Pretty sure I can squeeze CL14 out of my CL16 kit at 1.45 volts if my experience with older G Skill and Corsair rams holds true.
                                              When you get all your new shite?

Comment

Most likely Saturday. CPU might be Sunday.

Comment

Most likely Saturday. CPU might be Sunday.
                                                  Ok, cool. New job going well?

Comment

1.5v is fine for RAM as long as you have good airflow in the case. B-Die is very temperature sensitive so you'd crash before temps ever did any damage to it. I'd say max for 24/7 with good airflow around the RAM is around 1.55v.

Micron/Hynix chips are a bit different. A lot of people send 1.65v+ through those bad boys.

Comment

Originally posted by acroig View Post
                                                      Ok, cool. New job going well?
                                                      Thanks for asking. Super excited about the job and also really hoping I get all my components on Saturday for the build.

Comment

Thanks for asking. Super excited about the job and also really hoping I get all my components on Saturday for the build.

Comment

Are you pulling air into the case from the top rad. I have never tried it but am happy to give it a shot. My new case does not have option to pull air from bottom as it has a full PSU cover.

Yeah, my case has mesh on the top and bottom.

On the note of RAM, Hardware Unboxed's analysis shows that being dual rank affects performance far more than speed or latency. For example, a good 3200 Mhz RAM set which was dual rank outperformed single rank 3800Mhz with some low latency figure. The sweet spot as of that testing was 3600 Mhz + CL16 + dual rank RAM.

I can confirm it added almost ~50% framerate to my CPU limited 1% minimums in things like Arkham Knight when physX was turned on (beginning of the benchmark where it passes through the physX smoke). This is 3600 CL17 dual rank compared to 3000Mhz CL16 single rank baseline.

However, memory speed also didn't matter that much depending on which games you were running.
                                                          Last edited by metroidfox; Dec 1, 2020, 09:30 AM.
                                                          Originally posted by Koenig39
                                                          Okeh zhentlemain, we well commonce spe-cial operashun "Surraindair" at four-dirty. We well sneek pass dair defances wid our whayt flags held hagh!
                                                          Originally posted by Pr()ZaC
                                                          Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
                                                          Originally posted by Villainess
                                                          :lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:

Comment

So it seems 4 single rank dimms would work better than 2 the issue there is the cost. It would be another $200 to do that for me, and I would never need the extra 16GB capacity. I guess if I come into some money otherwise probably going to just stick with the single 2 dimm kit for now.

AMD Ryzen 7950X
                                                            32GB Kingston 6400 MT/s
                                                            MSI X670E Carbon
                                                            NVidia 4090 FE

Comment

4 single rank is better than 2 but the issue is then your motherboard and chips IMC. Daisy chain mobos don't like 4 aticks

Comment

Yah so it's hit or miss on whether it would actually work or not. One would tend to hope a $800 5950x would have a good IMC but even then it's no guarantee and my motherboard is a 'budget' x570 too.

AMD Ryzen 7950X
                                                                32GB Kingston 6400 MT/s
                                                                MSI X670E Carbon
                                                                NVidia 4090 FE

Comment

Some high end boards are still daisy chain. Daisy chain and T-tapology have pros and cons, neither is definitively better than the other.

It would "work" but the overclock potential tends to diminish greatly

Comment

What’s a daisy chain board?
                                                                    Is MSI Tomahawk X570 a daisy chain board?

Comment

What’s a daisy chain board?
                                                                      Is MSI Tomahawk X570 a daisy chain board?

this says it is
                                                                      https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...w?usp=sharing#

Comment

Originally posted by Riptide View Post
                                                                        Updated my BIOS today to the latest beta. When the new memory comes in, I'm installing that and testing it first with the existing 3800x. After I am confident it works at cl14 3600mhz, then I will try bumping up to 3800mhz and see what happens.

Not installing the 5950x until I've tested the modules out.
                                                                        Just be aware that not all Ryzen 3000s can do 3800 MHz IF. You may have to drop down to 3733. On my 3700X it will boot at 3800 MHz and I think even pass memory tests (been a while since I tried, so my memory is foggy), but it is unstable and will have random freeze/crashes.

Most of the well binned b-die sticks I've seen can do 3733 CL14-15-14-14-28-42 with TRFC of 270, although I've had to run with Gear Down Mode on a lot of them--hard to say whether that was due to the sticks or my Crosshair VI motherboard which has T-topology. Don't be afraid to use GDM if you need to. In my experience, it offers better performance than what you get by loosening the timings in order to get the memory stable with GDM off. Also the difference in performance is like half a percent or less anyway.

Comment

The general consensus is that 1.5v is safe. The problem is b-die becomes unstable at higher temperatures, and more voltage means more heat. So, at some point more voltage actually leads to worse stability (because the sticks overheat), unless you have direct cooling on the sticks.

But at the weak 14-16-16 timings the sticks are rated for, it won't be a problem. Frankly they probably don't even need 1.5v to do that. I wouldn't be surprised if 1.4 is enough.

Comment

Isn’t 1.5volts too high?
                                                                            Should be fine. My current Samsung modules come at 1.5v XMP by default [C15 4000]
                                                                            CROSSHAIR X670E HERO / R9 7950X3D / RTX 4090 GAMING OC / TRIDENT Z5 NEO RGB 6000 CL30 / SAMSUNG 980pro 1TB / 2x SAMSUNG 980 1TB / H150i ELITE LCD / ATH-A2000Z / HX1200 / AW3821DW 38" / LG C2 OLED evo 55" / Enthoo 719 / K70 MKII + Zowie S2 / K57 + Harpoon / Xbox Series X Controller / REVERB G2 V2
                                                                            ____________________

Comment

Ok thanks guys. I still need to get my stuff lol.

Comment

Let us know how that extra 5 FPS go.

Comment

Yeh. Ner ner.

Hope you enjoy it KAC.

When RKL launches shortly with its measly 8 cores, I'll let you know if it's any good for gaming...
                                                                                  CROSSHAIR X670E HERO / R9 7950X3D / RTX 4090 GAMING OC / TRIDENT Z5 NEO RGB 6000 CL30 / SAMSUNG 980pro 1TB / 2x SAMSUNG 980 1TB / H150i ELITE LCD / ATH-A2000Z / HX1200 / AW3821DW 38" / LG C2 OLED evo 55" / Enthoo 719 / K70 MKII + Zowie S2 / K57 + Harpoon / Xbox Series X Controller / REVERB G2 V2
                                                                                  ____________________

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  X