Finally, the start of the new gen of processors

Some reviews that I found:

Desktop:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...i3-2100-tested

Mobile:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4084/i...bile-landscape

Reading now. Hoping to see some neutral reviews soon

Edit:

Seems like a really nice chip. Too bad they neutered their overclocking capabilities. Now to see AMDs offerings. Need a new laptop soon
    Last edited by Tizen; Jan 4, 2011, 02:42 AM.
    Don't panic

Here's another:
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i...-2600k-review/

Guru3D doesn't strike me as a fanboi site, so I tend to read their reviews constantly.
    Crazy performance for a third of the price of the 980X. Nice !

Also, they didn't neuter the OC capabilities, you just need to get the "K" version of the CPU, which comes with an unlocked multiplayer. I've seen articles with people OC-ing the new I7 to 4.9 Ghz, on air, which is pretty damn impressive.

Comment

Aye, forgot to say except the Turbo enabled processors.
      Don't panic

Comment

wow gaming performance Is excellent, equal to or better in some cases than a 980x @ stock clocks, when overclocked there is no doubt it will beat a 980x in gaming, there are still some games the 980x is better, but overall the sandy bridge takes the cake. what a shame they launched with mainstream parts, it's just not my cup of tea. Can't wait untill the Real thing comes out next year.

also would the lack of 2 cores compared to 980X have any effect on scaling on 3-4 GPU systems? (bottlenecks?)

Comment

Originally posted by H001iGAN View Post
          also would the lack of 2 cores compared to 980X have any effect on scaling on 3-4 GPU systems? (bottlenecks?)
          No, as each GPU doesn't get a dedicated thread to feed it with data; it gets one thread, which may or may not be multi-threaded beyond 2 cores (typically not).

Comment

why hasn't someone written that multithreaded code, Is that even possible, or is someone just trying to sell newer faster CPU's and that's why we still have outdated coding. we have been CPU bottlenecked for a pretty long time in 3-4 gpu systems, I mean most of the time the cores are sitting there useless as it is, all this hardware is just going to waste, I don't like it 1 bit.

Comment

Part of the problem is what is multi-threaded. There is a restriction in the DX API that only one thread can feed into the GPU drivers at a time, one source. That source thread can be programmed to use multiple cores if the developers take the time to go through and find where operations can be paralellized. The problem is there is really only significant gains to be had in multi-gpu systems with multi-core processors (more than 2 cores).

Now, from a statistics PoV, that's more than most PC gamers have. Comparatively there is a small amount of people with quad cores and dual GPU configurations. So the company makes a business decision - do we spend time optimizing for a small set of customers, or do we spend that time on something else for everyone? So most of the time there is two-core multi-threading at best for the game to drive the GPU's, along side doing it's AI, etc. etc.

Secondly, there's the graphics drivers themselves. Being fed the info, they get to turn it into what the GPU's want to know. This is also a point where multi-threaded can be applied to give more performance, especially under multi-GPU. Again, this seems to be stalled at dual-core optimization, not going to use three or four (or more) cores; partly the drivers run out of things to parallelize and partly there aren't many people who benefit from it - the multi-gpu users (3x or 4x gpu) tend to have the fastest, highest speed CPUs overclocked anyway, so the problem is hidden in the CPU performance - using MHz to compensate.

hopefully the SandyBridge & Fusion APU era will convince more developers and driver teams to push for scaling beyond 2 cores, thinking about 4, 6, 8, 12 or 16 execution threads (for a game).

Comment

some good info there. just the other day I was reading up on DX11 and DX11 multithreading is that a step in that direction?

Comment

Okay, so now that they've arrived, where can I buy one? Newegg still doesn't have them!

Comment

The official launch date hasn't been announced.

People are speculating that they will be [widely] available on the 9th.

Comment

Originally posted by Quickstrike View Post
                      The official launch date hasn't been announced.

People are speculating that they will be [widely] available on the 9th.
                      And the NDA expire-date *was* 1/5/11. Intel could green light sales anytime. I'm like a kid outside a candy store with a fist full of cash.
                      You're looking at my signature.
                      Your signature may be different.
                      It's common to have computer specs here.
                      My computer? I've put its specs in the box to the left.
                      There are many people on the Rage3D forums.
                      They're very proud of their computers.

Comment

I read reviews for the Sandy and it seems that 2600k i7 is perfect for overclockers. Any idea what the pricepoint will be for that CPU?

Comment

meh, I'll wait for Bulldozer.

Comment

The Intel HD 3000 is great for the light gamer, but what happens when we have a dedicated GPU? Wouldn't it just be wasted silicon?

Comment

Yeap Im building a new system with these. Time for a full upgrade!

EFI mb, i7 2600, GTX570 SC.

Just waiting 2 months so they have enough in stock of everything and the prices come down a little.

Current system lasted me 4 years with just a graphic card upgrade. Hell its still good but the c2d proc is feeling slow and I ****ing hate ATI drivers now. Never again ati, whatever reviews say. I dont care if the nvidia cards cost more and are slower. I know I will not be ripping my hair out
                              Last edited by badboy; Jan 5, 2011, 01:02 AM.
                              ”Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” - Albert Einstein

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
                              Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
                              - True Blood

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                                The Intel HD 3000 is great for the light gamer, but what happens when we have a dedicated GPU? Wouldn't it just be wasted silicon?
                                IIRC, the Z68 chipset coming out in Q2 2011 will support both the integrated sandy bridge GPU and a discrete video card at the same time.

Comment

Having an i7 already, Sandybridge isn't that exciting. However, if you are on socket 775 then I see these as a great upgrade. If I were building new it would certainly be Sandybridge.

But from where I'm at now. I'll see what Bulldozer looks like, but I have a feeling it won't be as good. Most likely I won't be doing anything till the next CPU improvement happens.
                                  Perky McGiggles
                                  And he sayeth unto Perky, the numbers 2, 5, and/or 7 are an
                                  abomination and should never be used in an internet forum
                                  name, so sayeth the Lord.
                                  - Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8

Comment

Originally posted by Perky McGiggles View Post
                                    Having an i7 already, Sandybridge isn't that exciting. However, if you are on socket 775 then I see these as a great upgrade. If I were building new it would certainly be Sandybridge.

But from where I'm at now. I'll see what Bulldozer looks like, but I have a feeling it won't be as good. Most likely I won't be doing anything till the next CPU improvement happens.
                                    Yeap thats why I am upgrading. If I would already have i7 then I wouldnt upgrade.

I have a c2d E6600 now and its holding me back alot in some games.
                                    Its still a great proc and surely usable for another year but its getting too slow for me.
                                    Most games are using 100% on both cores now and I dont like that
                                    ”Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” - Albert Einstein

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
                                    Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
                                    - True Blood

Comment

An E6600 to a 2600k would be a huge ass jump.
                                      Perky McGiggles
                                      And he sayeth unto Perky, the numbers 2, 5, and/or 7 are an
                                      abomination and should never be used in an internet forum
                                      name, so sayeth the Lord.
                                      - Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8

Comment

The more reviews I keep reading about these, the more I'm sure that I should wait for Ivy Bridge.. Somehow it seems they didn't live up to the hype. Are there any info if there will be new CPU's without the integrated GPUs?

Comment

Originally posted by Ozilon View Post
                                          The more reviews I keep reading about these, the more I'm sure that I should wait for Ivy Bridge.. Somehow it seems they didn't live up to the hype. Are there any info if there will be new CPU's without the integrated GPUs?
                                          Try reading a review where they actually tested it properly, i.e. from computerbase.de. It's in German, but numbers are universal. There are some serious gains for Sandy Bridge over Lynnfield/Bloomfield. Up to 45% faster at the same clock for single-threaded tests and multi-threaded performance gains in the 20% range.
                                          Praise be to the God and father of our lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Comment

some good info there. just the other day I was reading up on DX11 and DX11 multithreading is that a step in that direction?
                                            Yes and no.

DX11 allows the developer to construct command lists on multiple CPU cores, however the final submit still has to be done on a single thread and, frankly, this is unlikely to ever change.

In order to submit commands to the GPU the data has to be assembled into a command list this means at any given point during that assembly only one thread can be writting to the memory block where the command list is being assembled.

So, while multiple threads could be used to submit the commands it would require locks, which would stall out any threads waiting to submit data preventing it from doing useful work.

Now, command lists on multiple threads allows the developer to at least assembler an optimised command list for submission meaning that when that final submit happens it'll be faster.
                                            (Although, I'm not sure if drivers support optimising right now...)

Of course, while that submit is happening on a single thread the rest of the cores can be put to work doing work towards the next frame.

Comment

C2D/C2Q to SB would be a nice upgrade, but I wouldnt bother if you had a current i5/i7, but I have only seen a small amount of benches to be fair.

Comment

Originally posted by demowhc View Post
                                                C2D/C2Q to SB would be a nice upgrade, but I wouldnt bother if you had a current i5/i7, but I have only seen a small amount of benches to be fair.
                                                It's a matter of opinion. It's definitely not cut and dry. For some people, the potential gains are worthwhile, especially if you overclock. If you don't OC and the IPC increase of 0-45% isn't enough then skip it.
                                                Praise be to the God and father of our lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Comment

Sorry I meant for gaming specificaly. In those game benches at 640x480 the difference between i930 vs 2600k at 2.8 was 5-15%, which I guess is a nice boost coupled with higher oc's.

Comment

from Guru3D: http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i...600k-review/20 an example of unimportant 2600K @4.3GHz in 1080p game

Well, these are my personal reason not to upgrade to Sandy at the moment;
                                                    - many games I play in 1920x1080 + AA need GPU power, +1
                                                    - my currently CPU Q9550 @3.6GHz is more than enough, I run 4GHz sometimes
                                                    - rare to do synthetic bench in low resolution
                                                    - only K series are able to be OCed
                                                    “The person you love can only go as far as you let them in" - Billy Corgan

My YouTube

Comment

For you lucky bastards with a microcenter near by.

Intel Sandy Bridge Processors - i7 2600k $280, i5 2500k $180 microcenter B&M 1/9/11

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2546095

Comment

How much more are the K series?

Comment

I'm rocking an i7/950 now, but I'm still tempted to snag a 2600K (less power usage for more oomph). Must be good...must...be good...
                                                          The three stages of [whatever] fandom:

1. "OMG IT'S COMING!!!"
                                                          2. "OMG IT'S HERE!!!!!"
                                                          3. "....wait a minute. This isn't the Second Coming! This sucks!"

Originally posted by Qb2k5
                                                          I like them tall and petite.

Comment

How much more are the K series?
                                                            Less than 30 bucks more. Well worth the price difference because of the unlocked multi.

Comment

This K series thing sounds like a sleezy way to milk the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Sound_Card View Post
                                                                Not sure how you came to that conclusion. I'm glad they're at least offering overclockers a means to OC now that the clock generator has moved to the chip. Heck, it will probably make OC's much easier to reach now for most users.

I do hope they don't do this with the socket 2011 chips because personally I want to run my RAM at rated speeds, but since they're incorporating everything including the clock gen into the chip now I guess they probably will.

Comment

here's some interesting results for Sandy Bridge:

Sandy Bridge lets G92 SLI fly

Comment

the new p67 motherboard from asus looks slick!!

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-s...7-tuf-review/1

and this is how the bios looks
                                                                    [yt]YL1qyndwfs4[/yt]
                                                                    Camera: Canon EOS 50D + Tokina 12-24 F4, Tamron 17-50 F2.8, Canon EF 50 F1.8, Canon EF-S 55-250 F4-5.6 IS

Comment

Originally posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
                                                                      Try reading a review where they actually tested it properly, i.e. from computerbase.de. It's in German, but numbers are universal. There are some serious gains for Sandy Bridge over Lynnfield/Bloomfield. Up to 45% faster at the same clock for single-threaded tests and multi-threaded performance gains in the 20% range.
                                                                      Approximately 87% increase in games at 1680x1050 resolution, compared to Q6600? Really? Sounds too good to be true.

EDIT: And any info about when the High-end CPUs are coming? Or are they planning to make mid- or high-end ones w/o the IGP, thus getting more space for the CPU part on the chip (= more punch)?
                                                                      Last edited by Ozilon; Jan 6, 2011, 01:26 PM.

Comment

cought myself today pricing out a new system, based on the sandy CPU, somehow I need to convince myself to wait untill 2012 for the high end socket, and ddr4. Unless some great games come out that I can't keep a FPS vsync locked @ 60 fps @ 2560x1600 because of a weak CPU. It's going to be a long wait, damn Intel should have launched high end 1st.

Comment

cought myself today pricing out a new system, based on the sandy CPU, somehow I need to convince myself to wait untill 2012 for the high end socket, and ddr4. Unless some great games come out that I can't keep a FPS vsync locked @ 60 fps @ 2560x1600 because of a weak CPU. It's going to be a long wait, damn Intel should have launched high end 1st.
                                                                          I'm waiting on 2011, but not so much DDR4. I agree, I wish they had launched the high end stuff first.

At least this will give us a chance to see what bull dozer can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Sound_Card View Post
                                                                            I don't know. Seems to me that OCing is a lot easier now. Sure you have to pay a few bucks to do it, but they aren't charging astronomical amounts of extra money. A lot of people tend to drop a few extra anyways to support better overclocking (i.e. premium motherboards, advanced cooling, etc....). Whats a few extra more?
                                                                            My Dealings

Comment

#39
                                                                              this makes me want to wait a little more to shop around for new hardware, but then again, i wait more and newer stuff comes around to make me want to wait again, its a neverending cycle
                                                                              Add me on steam
                                                                              PSN: robv99

Comment

#40
                                                                                Have they reviewed the graphic core of the Sandy Bridge yet? How does it stack up?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                X