Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 7124 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 7124 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 7124 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 7124 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 7124 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 7124 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 7124 Antec Nine Hundred - Rage3D Discussion Area

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antec Nine Hundred

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antec Nine Hundred

So tomorrow I'm going to get my new Antec Nine Hundred case. I've looked at the specs and whatnot and it looks pretty good, certainly an upgrade from what I have now. I'm getting it at Compusa, they actually have it for the same price as Newegg and I'd rather buy a case at a B+M so I can look at it before I buy it to make sure there's no damage.

Buying at a B+M store limits my selection but this actually seems like a pretty sweet looking case. Plus this is gonna kinda be a father son type thing putting it together seeing as it's father's day weekend and my son is just starting to get into computers. He's gonna love seeing me take mine apart and put it back together again in the new case. He's gonna be even happier next month when I build him his very own first pc when I upgrade at the and of July .

Anyways the point of the post is: does anyone have any feedback on this case? I've read reviews and they seem pretty good but does anyone have any personal experience or thoughts to add?
    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Several discussion threads that might be helpful:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33888979
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33892778
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33890388
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33879679
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33872589

I don't particularly like it, but many do. I've heard that there is (or will be?) a revision available that might have improved upon the original. Anyway, hope that gives you some aid in your info quest.

Comment

Lupine... you're just too nice to tell me to use the search function . Sad thing is I read all those theads and even commented in a few of em . Those threads pretty much say it all about this case.

Anyhow, nooow I remember this case, and it doesn't seem too bad. If I don't like it I'll take that sucker right back! I'm committed now though. I already told my son we were doing this tomorrow and selection in store is pitiful to say the least. It's like a choice between this, an overpriced Sonata II and a few Compusa brand bobo cases .

Meh... we'll see.
      "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Comment

I looked at it myself, but i don't like it either. Looks tacky, and it's got far to much mesh in for my liking, gonna be really loud with fans on anything more than 7v.

Comment

I have a comparison of it on my Blog as well as picked up for our Build a PC series on my radio show.
          Edward Crisler
          SAPPHIRE NA PR Representative

#SapphireNation

Comment

It will be a nice stepup from what you had. Hopefully all your PSU cables will be long enough to reach!

Comment

The only two to sweat are the 24 pin and the 4/8 pin. Easy to fix, buy the extensions. In fact I do so automatically now since it helps cable routing in ANY case.
              Edward Crisler

#SapphireNation

Comment

OK guys... I did something bad . I made an impulse decision. I picked up a Cooler Master Mystique 632S without reading any reviews or doing any research on it.

When I got there I just started comparing stuff (they actually had a much better selection than I saw online) and the Nine Hundred just didn't look like it would fit in my living room well. That and there just wasn't alot of cool stuff about it (my technical evaluation ) other than the huge fan on top of it. When I came to the Mystique I instantly liked it. It looks really clean, toolless jobbers, nice fans, AND it was on sale for only 49 bucks (AMR, 79 before which is still 60 dollars less than the Nine Hundred).

This thing is so freakin' cool! I LOVE the fact that it's so neat and clean and the way the drives get hidden is really clever. Installation was easy as could be. No dings nicks or scratches on it (I had 'em take it out of the box before I bought it).

If you guys knew what I was putting up with before you'd understand how happy I am. My old case was solid but DAMN it was old. I think I got it in like 2002 and all the fans (5 80mm) had bad bearings or something and whined like banshees! Also it had all sorts of gaudy lights all over it so it looked like crap in here. I don't mind lights but these were all different damn colors, each fan had like orange, blue, red and green on it. I can't even hear this thing now and my ambient temps are 2 or 3 degrees cooler than is what's usual for this time of day.

I don't have much experience with cases but I can definitely recommend this one for the price. I'm almost positive that now I'll get bombarded with folks telling me I got the crappiest case on the market but wth... I compared 'em side by side and I liked this one the best (compared to the Nine Hundred, Sonata II, and a slew of other generic cases). I saw the Stacker there but there was no way in hell I was gonna pay over 200 bucks for a case. Plus it would look really strange in my living room.

I'm happy . And I'll be even happier when I can take this mobo/cpu back out and put something better in there .
                Last edited by Jokerzwild; Jun 16, 2007, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SD-[Inc] View Post
                    It will be a nice stepup from what you had. Hopefully all your PSU cables will be long enough to reach!
                    Originally posted by Crisler View Post
                    The only two to sweat are the 24 pin and the 4/8 pin. Easy to fix, buy the extensions. In fact I do so automatically now since it helps cable routing in ANY case.
                    I didn't have any problems with it at all. My 4-pin 12V connector is on the top left corner of the motherboard too. My PSU is a Corsair HX520.

Comment

That Mystique is a very nice case for the money. It won't cool quite as well as the 900. But I agree that it is better looking. I love having USB ports on top.

Comment

Originally posted by caveman-jim View Post
                        KK!

And now for my old one:

oops...

Comment

I know my cable management is crap but my new psu s comin next week so I just said whatevah and stuufed em where I could.

Comment

Originally posted by Jokerzwild View Post
                            I know my cable management is crap but my new psu s comin next week so I just said whatevah and stuufed em where I could.
                            As long as a cable is not hovering over a fan then it doesn't effect anything and it's properly managed. There's no such thing as wireless when it comes to power cables.

Comment

What? That looks better than 90% of the jobs we see posted here.

Good thing you bought a black DVD drive for your old box. It looks perfect in the new one.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-[Inc] View Post
                                What? That looks better than 90% of the jobs we see posted here.

Good thing you bought a black DVD drive for your old box. It looks perfect in the new one.
                                Thanks man! They're all just stuffed in the empty drive bays, usually I ziptie 'em up real good. It's just at a good angle I guess

Next morning is when I usually get buyers remorse but when I woke up and saw this thing sitting in here a big smile came across my face . Specially when I fired her up and the only thing I heard was the HDD's spinning.

Comment

Can I have your old case?

Also, are you gonna reverse your HD's in the rails to have all cables at the back, when your new PSU arrives?

Comment

Can I have your old case?

Also, are you gonna reverse your HD's in the rails to have all cables at the back, when your new PSU arrives?
                                    I'd give ya this old case but I'm planning on using it to build my son his first pc when I upgrade next month (hopefully). All my current guts (sans vidcard, I'll have to pick him up something cheap he's not getting my 8800 ) will go back in that case and my new stuff will go in the new case.

Ohhhh good thinking on the hdd's . I've never had a case where the drives were facing this way before, that's cool I can totally hide the wires! Me is noob to dis schtuff .

Oh and btw! Do the mobo and ram look familiar! I sold my Gskill to my brother in law and put these sticks in, they run awesome for value ram. Made a little cash and lost no performance . Oh hell... I got the drives from you too .

I'm getting ready to replace the blowhole thingy on the side with a fan right now.

Comment

I'd give ya this old case but I'm planning on using it to build my son his first pc when I upgrade next month (hopefully). All my current guts (sans vidcard, I'll have to pick him up something cheap he's not getting my 8800 ) will go back in that case and my new stuff will go in the new case.

Ohhhh good thinking on the hdd's . I've never had a case where the drives were facing this way before, that's cool I can totally hide the wires! Me is noob to dis schtuff .

Oh and btw! Do the mobo and ram look familiar! I sold my Gskill to my brother in law and put these sticks in, they run awesome for value ram. Made a little cash and lost no performance . Oh hell... I got the drives from you too .

I'm getting ready to replace the blowhole thingy on the side with a fan right now.

Cool, your boy is going to be Cave-Powered!!

1950's GT's and Pro's are getting cheap on the 'egg, etc. I can look and see if there's anything in the PCIe dept.

Comment

Huh... well imagine that! I get higher temps with an 80mm fan blowing in on the side rather than the exhaust tube thingy that came with it!! They must have engineered the airflow in a specific way to include the exhaust tube.

Comment

Reverse the 80mm fan to be an exhaust instead of intake, see what happens.

Comment

Reverse the 80mm fan to be an exhaust instead of intake, see what happens.
                                            I'll try that out when I get home from work tomorrow, I'm bout to crash. Wouldn't that create a tug o' war for airflow between that fan and the cpu fan seeing as they're right across from each other?

I'll experiment tomorrow .

Comment

Well the reason I suggested it was that it sounds like the 80mm as an intake fan was creating a dead spot, where air wasn't moving and dissipating heat; since you have tried the other two permutations (no fan, and fan as intake) what would it hurt to try as an exhaust (especially as you name the shroud the 'exhaust tube thingy'

Comment

'exhaust tube thingy'

That's the technical term for it. I really hate boring everyone with insider jargon but sometimes it's a necessary evil.

Comment

I had to google it. :embarrased:

Comment

If you are looking for a GOOD inexpensive video card and not in a rush hold on a bit longer, word has it the HD 2600 will be very inexpensive.
                                                    Edward Crisler

#SapphireNation

Comment

If you are looking for a GOOD inexpensive video card and not in a rush hold on a bit longer, word has it the HD 2600 will be very inexpensive.
                                                      No offense but I wouldn't recommend any of ATi's DX10 cards right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Raged_Fanatic View Post
                                                        Why not I mean the reviews are mixed but they seem to perform right with the 8800GTS for the 2900HD. They might not be the uber high end but they seem solid cards.
                                                        Edward Crisler

#SapphireNation

Comment

I think the best thing I can do for him is take the X1900XT out of my wife's pc and put it in my son's new one and buy her an ULTRA low end card, like an HD2400 or something. Whatever 50-75 bucks will get me. She plays NO games (rarely uses her pc anyways, she uses mine cause it's in the living room).

That way he'll get a very decent card and I'll have to put out minimal cash. basically he's gonna end up with the very same pc I had last year, the parts have just been playing musical cases . The main thing though is I want him to actually do some wet work so to speak. I want him to actually have a hand in putting all of it together, that way he might learn something and feel like it's more his pc instead of just getting my old one. I told him we'd even paint the case... he said he wants it black like his daddy's new one . Ya'll have no idea how happy I am that he's getting interested in this stuff now.

It is SO HARD waiting till next month to get my new processor and mobo. I guess it'll be worth it being able to afford a quad core but my new case and my 8800 are just SCREAMING at me to mate 'em with better stuff.

Comment

Why not I mean the reviews are mixed but they seem to perform right with the 8800GTS for the 2900HD. They might not be the uber high end but they seem solid cards.
                                                            Wait, you said 2600 first. Now you're talking about the 2900? Can you find any 2600 for sale anywhere because I sure can't. NewEgg only has 2900's. TigerDirect doesn't have any 2600's?

So you're recommending a product that isn't even available to the public yet? All I have found are demos of it. Not a single benchmark? For real, what's with that recommendation?

Comment

So you're recommending a product that isn't even available to the public yet? All I have found are demos of it. Not a single benchmark? For real, what's with that recommendation?

Comment

Hey, I put a smiley so I was being somewhat sarcastic.

Still, has anyone seen any benchmarks on them yet?

Comment

Hey, I put a smiley so I was being somewhat sarcastic.

Still, has anyone seen any benchmarks on them yet?
                                                                  Hopefully not in Antec 900 threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Lupine View Post
                                                                    Hopefully not in Antec 900 threads.
                                                                    That's true. Where in the heck did video cards come into this thread? Oh, I know...randomly.

Comment

Wait, you said 2600 first. Now you're talking about the 2900? Can you find any 2600 for sale anywhere because I sure can't. NewEgg only has 2900's. TigerDirect doesn't have any 2600's?

Okay lets back up, I was comment on your statement about not reccomending any ATI DX10 cards.

Originally posted by Raged_Fanatic
                                                                      It is from this quote that I am taking the conversation to the 2900.

As for the 2600 I suggested waiting. I have heard some rumors from my contacts that the 2600 will be faster than the 8600 and cost less as well. I would not suggest purchasing it aas it releases but waiting for the release to see some real numbers.
                                                                      Edward Crisler

#SapphireNation

Comment

No comment. Let's take it to PM or another thread please.

Comment

Working...
                                                                        X