Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N64 comes to Switch Online...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    N64 comes to Switch Online...

    For an extra $30 USD a year over the regular $20 a year sub...

    https://kotaku.com/you-ll-have-to-pa...e-i-1847871994

    Nintendo Switch Online, which typically costs $4 a month or $20 a year, allows you to play multiplayer Switch games—like Super Smash Bros. Ultimate—with other players via the internet. What’s more, subscribers also get access to a library of more than 100 classic NES and SNES games.

    Starting October 25, you’ll be able to upgrade to a premium version of Switch Online that also includes N64 games and Sega Genesis games in the library. For $50, you get access for a year. (You also get access to Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Happy Home Paradise DLC.) The $80 family plan, meanwhile, grants a year of access to you and up to seven other Nintendo accounts.
    Also includes Sega Gensis games, but still that a huge increase for not allot. Although on the flipside this is kinda more in-line with other consoles.
    -Trunks0
    not speaking for all and if I am wrong I never said it.
    (plz note that is meant as a joke)


    System:
    Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - PowerColor RedDevil Radeon RX 7900XTX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit

    #2
    No Mario 64 at launch, wat? *Oh nvm, it is there.
    Originally posted by General Lee
    I've been praying for your nuts.
    Originally posted by General Lee
    If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)

    Comment


      #3
      switch online has always been way cheaper than the competition, but they could have added more than just sega and N64 online (well theres also "free" animal crossing DLC...but you can just buy that standalone and the savings just end up not being there after a few years anyways)
      ------Squachbox 2022------
      Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 full size aluminum chassis
      Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750watt PSU
      AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
      Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
      2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
      BenQ Mobiuz EX2710S 27" FHD monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
      Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
      Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
      Samsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe
      HyperX Cloud Stinger wired headset

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Sasquach View Post
        switch online has always been way cheaper than the competition, but they could have added more than just sega and N64 online (well theres also "free" animal crossing DLC...but you can just buy that standalone and the savings just end up not being there after a few years anyways)
        They did, they added Sega too

        Still not worth a 250% upcharge...
        Originally posted by IamHere
        You guys are closet communists.

        Comment


          #5
          The Megadrive addition is more exciting than the sub-20fps n64.

          The n64 stuff would be more interesting if they ditched proper emulation and made the games run at a good frame rate.

          Comment


            #6
            Honestly $20 is to much for Nintendo online, now they want another $30 for games that everyone are already emulating.

            Comment


              #7
              Nintendo needs an online subscription as part of its business model to stay competitive with MS & Sony. Their shareholders are demanding it.

              Unfortunately, Nintendo has not done any of the hard work to build out the infrastructure, nor are they willing to match the value-offerings of the competitors. MS has been fleshing out xbox live since the early 2000s, and we saw Sony scramble to catch up through the PS3 era, to finally be able to offer a competitive service (and charge $$ for it) with the PS4. Nintendo has actively refused to stay competitive in this space, and they just don't have many good options.

              Nintendo can't charge a full xbox live price, 'cause their online services suck. Nintendo doesn't want to offer free games, or a robust gamepass-like content service, because they still believe in re-selling their classics every few years for full price.

              Nintendo's normal products make plenty of $$, so they're not really being forced into taking any risks in the online-subscription space. They'd rather dip their toes in, in the most modest way possible, to try to appease their shareholders' demands, without actually changing any of their business practices. Remember that they did the same thing with mobile... shareholders demanded that nintendo sell their existing games on iphone, and instead nintendo created weird versions of mario & mario kart. It's a fundamental problem where Nintendo misunderstands the assignment.

              The end result is subscription services that don't make alot of sense, rehashing stale old content that everyone's been emulating on other devices for decades, and offerings that really just can't compete with the big boys services. Nintendo will always resist modernizing. It's in their DNA. They're fundamentally a toy company, not a software company. They won't change unless the market absolutely forces them to, and even then they'll avoid going in the obviously right directions. If the market ever does force them to do the right thing, they'll hate their customers for making them do it, and find little ways to punish their customers for years in the future.
              Originally posted by KAC
              To be honest I never even found doom 3 to be scary since I have a big dick since birth.

              Ryzen 5 5600x - radeon 6700xt - 32 gigs memory


              Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
              Sega: Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
              Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
              Microsoft: og xbox, xbox360, xbone, series 3
              Atari: Atari 2600, 7800
              Neo Geo: Neo Geo Pocket Color
              Other: Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex

              riva tnt
              tnt2
              geforce2mx
              kyro 2
              radeon 8500
              radeon 9600
              radeon 9800pro
              radeon x800pro
              geforce 8800gtx
              radeon 6850
              radeon 280
              radeon 580
              radeon 6700xt

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Mangler View Post
                The n64 stuff would be more interesting if they ditched proper emulation and made the games run at a good frame rate.
                You mean like what everyone else in the emulation scene is already doing?
                Originally posted by KAC
                To be honest I never even found doom 3 to be scary since I have a big dick since birth.

                Ryzen 5 5600x - radeon 6700xt - 32 gigs memory


                Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
                Sega: Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
                Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
                Microsoft: og xbox, xbox360, xbone, series 3
                Atari: Atari 2600, 7800
                Neo Geo: Neo Geo Pocket Color
                Other: Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex

                riva tnt
                tnt2
                geforce2mx
                kyro 2
                radeon 8500
                radeon 9600
                radeon 9800pro
                radeon x800pro
                geforce 8800gtx
                radeon 6850
                radeon 280
                radeon 580
                radeon 6700xt

                Comment


                  #9
                  My wife is insisting we get it so that she can play through OoT again and have our son play though it. Welp, guess I am getting it.
                  i5 4670 Haswell <> Gigabyte radeon 280x <> 8 gigs of some ram that happened to be on sale that week <> Asus Z87-K <> Some DVD burner that has been used for 3-4 computers - might be a pioneer <> Winblows 10 Now!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by SubCog View Post
                    Nintendo needs an online subscription as part of its business model to stay competitive with MS & Sony. Their shareholders are demanding it.

                    Unfortunately, Nintendo has not done any of the hard work to build out the infrastructure, nor are they willing to match the value-offerings of the competitors. MS has been fleshing out xbox live since the early 2000s, and we saw Sony scramble to catch up through the PS3 era, to finally be able to offer a competitive service (and charge $$ for it) with the PS4. Nintendo has actively refused to stay competitive in this space, and they just don't have many good options.

                    Nintendo can't charge a full xbox live price, 'cause their online services suck. Nintendo doesn't want to offer free games, or a robust gamepass-like content service, because they still believe in re-selling their classics every few years for full price.

                    Nintendo's normal products make plenty of $$, so they're not really being forced into taking any risks in the online-subscription space. They'd rather dip their toes in, in the most modest way possible, to try to appease their shareholders' demands, without actually changing any of their business practices. Remember that they did the same thing with mobile... shareholders demanded that nintendo sell their existing games on iphone, and instead nintendo created weird versions of mario & mario kart. It's a fundamental problem where Nintendo misunderstands the assignment.

                    The end result is subscription services that don't make alot of sense, rehashing stale old content that everyone's been emulating on other devices for decades, and offerings that really just can't compete with the big boys services. Nintendo will always resist modernizing. It's in their DNA. They're fundamentally a toy company, not a software company. They won't change unless the market absolutely forces them to, and even then they'll avoid going in the obviously right directions. If the market ever does force them to do the right thing, they'll hate their customers for making them do it, and find little ways to punish their customers for years in the future.
                    Nintendo doesnt cater to the demographic that "requires" these services to be Xbox Live level. They get by fine with what they have, granted they should offer a bit more to keep that value proposition more appealing. I for one dont give a rats ass a bout online gaming much anymore. I used to be in the camp in favor of it due to being in the PC gaming space for a long time and obviously due to what Nintendo DOESNT offer. I ended up not even using voice chat at all on my PC due to morons who cant shut the hell up.
                    As a casual player it doesnt even matter, all i would really need is the ability to play my games online...thats about it. Sure they could offer a better matchmaking service, but having random matchmaking is a-ok. The only thing i really hate are cheaters or people who are so much better than you that they take away the fun of playing (almost as if its competitive level players who are noob bashing for fun).

                    Nintendo ultimately does what nintendo does, and they are very successful at what they do, even with some questionable decision making.

                    THey do need to modernize a bit more (i think the current CEO is more favor of it and partnerships compared to the Iwata era) but you can never count them out for anything.
                    ------Squachbox 2022------
                    Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 full size aluminum chassis
                    Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750watt PSU
                    AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
                    Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
                    2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
                    BenQ Mobiuz EX2710S 27" FHD monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
                    Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
                    Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
                    Samsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe
                    HyperX Cloud Stinger wired headset

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Sasquach View Post
                      Nintendo doesnt cater to the demographic that "requires" these services to be Xbox Live level. They get by fine with what they have, granted they should offer a bit more to keep that value proposition more appealing. I for one dont give a rats ass a bout online gaming much anymore. I used to be in the camp in favor of it due to being in the PC gaming space for a long time and obviously due to what Nintendo DOESNT offer. I ended up not even using voice chat at all on my PC due to morons who cant shut the hell up.
                      As a casual player it doesnt even matter, all i would really need is the ability to play my games online...thats about it. Sure they could offer a better matchmaking service, but having random matchmaking is a-ok. The only thing i really hate are cheaters or people who are so much better than you that they take away the fun of playing (almost as if its competitive level players who are noob bashing for fun).

                      Nintendo ultimately does what nintendo does, and they are very successful at what they do, even with some questionable decision making.

                      THey do need to modernize a bit more (i think the current CEO is more favor of it and partnerships compared to the Iwata era) but you can never count them out for anything.
                      There are other ways to modernize their business model.
                      Nintendo could go the Disney Plus route, and launch a subscription that includes their entire back-catelog (or a good chunk of it). That could be competitive at a higher price point.

                      But that won't happen, because Nintendo is still living in Disney's 1990s era, where you lock everything in "the vault" and dole it out slowly. Did you invest a ton of money into virtual console games? **** you.

                      Imagine if Disney had launched their streaming service with just a handful of films that everyone has already seen before... If they were too cowardly to go all in, but that's not what happened, because Disney has decided to live in the modern era and compete with companies like Netflix. Nintendo is busy wishing it was 1985 and Toys r Us was still selling their games.

                      Different strokes for different folks, right? But I know which one i'd choose. Nintendo could be a juggernaut, if they weren't their own worst enemy.
                      Last edited by SubCog; Nov 2, 2021, 06:38 AM.
                      Originally posted by KAC
                      To be honest I never even found doom 3 to be scary since I have a big dick since birth.

                      Ryzen 5 5600x - radeon 6700xt - 32 gigs memory


                      Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
                      Sega: Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
                      Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
                      Microsoft: og xbox, xbox360, xbone, series 3
                      Atari: Atari 2600, 7800
                      Neo Geo: Neo Geo Pocket Color
                      Other: Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex

                      riva tnt
                      tnt2
                      geforce2mx
                      kyro 2
                      radeon 8500
                      radeon 9600
                      radeon 9800pro
                      radeon x800pro
                      geforce 8800gtx
                      radeon 6850
                      radeon 280
                      radeon 580
                      radeon 6700xt

                      Comment


                        #12
                        People does not seem to be that impressed by nintendos efforts, looks like the emulation is really bad.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I have a switch and it's great. But the online services blow
                          Intel Core i5 4690 | ASUS Z87-A | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR3-1600
                          Gigabyte GTX 1070 8 GB | Intel 730 Series 240 GB SSD | Asus Xonar DG 5.1 Audio
                          Dell U2410 Monitor | Antec Three Hundred Two Case | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G400 | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

                          Originally posted by Saggypoo
                          It's happening to Jupiter now? Usually there's objects constantly slamming against Uranus.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X