Retro topic: Sega Saturn game library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro topic: Sega Saturn game library

I've had my Saturn for decades, but have never really dived deeply into it. Of course I've played Nights into Dreams and the Panzer Dragoon games, and I've often heard people talk about the amazing SHMUPS and fighting games available on the platform. But the library is much deeper than it seems at first, and I keep finding gems that I've never heard of before.

In this thread, I'll showcase some Saturn games that I think are worth taking a look at. I kindof love this era of early 3d gaming, lots of quirky concepts, many of which are experimental and half-baked.
    Originally posted by KAC
    To be honest I never even found doom 3 to be scary since I have a big dick since birth.

Ryzen 5 5600x - radeon 6700xt - 32 gigs memory

Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
    Sega: Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
    Microsoft: og xbox, xbox360, xbone, series 3
    Atari: Atari 2600, 7800
    Neo Geo: Neo Geo Pocket Color
    Other: Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex

riva tnt
    tnt2
    geforce2mx
    kyro 2
    radeon 8500
    radeon 9600
    radeon 9800pro
    radeon x800pro
    geforce 8800gtx
    radeon 6850
    radeon 280
    radeon 580
    radeon 6700xt

AMOK

The last couple weeks, I saw people on the Saturn forums talking about a game called AMOK, which I'd never heard of before. I ordered a copy off of ebay (for $10, btw), and geez this game is great, and WAAAY better than it has any right to be.

It's a 3rd person mech shooter. Great graphics, very smooth performance, great controls, feels more modern than I would expect. I'm super impressed with this game. Oh, and it runs on a flippin' voxel engine.

[yt]UgQyznkvxk8[/yt]
    Originally posted by KAC
    To be honest I never even found doom 3 to be scary since I have a big dick since birth.

Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds

riva tnt
    tnt2
    geforce2mx
    kyro 2
    radeon 8500
    radeon 9600
    radeon 9800pro
    radeon x800pro
    geforce 8800gtx
    radeon 6850
    radeon 280
    radeon 580
    radeon 6700xt

Comment

Nights into Dreams.

One of the most well-known and popular games on the platform. Lots of great things to say about this one. Beautiful graphics and animation, smooth gameplay that's alot of fun, and a high skill ceiling. Also supports anamorphic widescreen if your CRT supports it!

It's an early vision of what 3d gaming might look like. Most of the game runs on a 2d track that winds through a 3d world, but there are bits of true 3d gameplay mixed in. Lots of clever ideas explored, especially with the boss fights.

It's structured a bit like an arcade game. There's only a handful of levels, and they're fairly short, meant to be played and replayed over and over again to master them.

There's been several re-releases on different platforms, including PS2, xbox360, PS3, and Windows, with improved HD graphics. Somehow this game doesn't translate well to HD, and loses alot of it's magic if it's not played in 240p on a CRT.

This was an important mascot game for the Saturn, as Sega could never make a proper Sonic game happen.

[yt]r0IdFOeMnTk[/yt]

There's a sequel on the Wii, but it's a mixed bag that mostly sucks.
      Last edited by SubCog; Sep 16, 2021, 08:48 AM.
      Originally posted by KAC

riva tnt
      tnt2
      geforce2mx
      kyro 2
      radeon 8500
      radeon 9600
      radeon 9800pro
      radeon x800pro
      geforce 8800gtx
      radeon 6850
      radeon 280
      radeon 580
      radeon 6700xt

Comment

Bug!

Another early vision of gaming in 3d, in a pre-analog controller era. Colorful graphics, lots of interesting gameplay ideas, but the controls can be a bit clunky. The gameplay is repetitive and can be a bit flat. I don't think I've ever played past the first couple of levels... but I come back from time to time because I enjoy those first couple levels. maybe someday I'll sit down and pound through the whole game, although it's pretty challenging, and not always in a good way.

The story is funny, as the bug character is actually a movie star on a film set filming a movie.
        [yt]dJVzyr8NT1A[/yt]

Bug Too!
        More of the same. The "filming a movie" thing comes out stronger in the levels in this game.

[yt]r7jkmDL4Iiw[/yt]
        Originally posted by KAC

riva tnt
        tnt2
        geforce2mx
        kyro 2
        radeon 8500
        radeon 9600
        radeon 9800pro
        radeon x800pro
        geforce 8800gtx
        radeon 6850
        radeon 280
        radeon 580
        radeon 6700xt

Comment

The Saturn is famous for having tons of great SHMUPS. Here's a few that I think are cool.

Soukyugerentai, aka Terra Diver
          Gorgeous 3d art design in a time when most SHMUPS were still very 2d.
          [yt]kMWhT7G_k9g[/yt]

Batsugun
          Amazing arcade port.
          [yt]m6evnbPqvN4[/yt]

Radiant Silvergun
          Crazy amount of weapons that are always available.
          [yt]6jTE6vDfDB0[/yt]
          Originally posted by KAC

riva tnt
          tnt2
          geforce2mx
          kyro 2
          radeon 8500
          radeon 9600
          radeon 9800pro
          radeon x800pro
          geforce 8800gtx
          radeon 6850
          radeon 280
          radeon 580
          radeon 6700xt

Comment

I don't even remember what Saturn games I currently own I really only have it to have it.
            Originally posted by IamHere
            You guys are closet communists.

Comment

Saturn Bomberman

Supports 10 players, if you have enough multi-taps. It's often featured at retro gaming events such as PRGE (I play it every year there), and it's flipping awesome!

[yt]4Ipvb65ENJI[/yt]
              Originally posted by KAC

riva tnt
              tnt2
              geforce2mx
              kyro 2
              radeon 8500
              radeon 9600
              radeon 9800pro
              radeon x800pro
              geforce 8800gtx
              radeon 6850
              radeon 280
              radeon 580
              radeon 6700xt

Comment

Dragon Force
                An epic display of Saturn's sprite-scaling power! Large turn-based battles between dozens of characters.

[yt]hIdlvWIvSe0[/yt]
                Originally posted by KAC

riva tnt
                tnt2
                geforce2mx
                kyro 2
                radeon 8500
                radeon 9600
                radeon 9800pro
                radeon x800pro
                geforce 8800gtx
                radeon 6850
                radeon 280
                radeon 580
                radeon 6700xt

Comment

Love Radiant Silvergun, its a masterpiece. Ikaruga is its more accessible spiritual successor but does not quite live up to it IMO.

3d gaming was definitely in its awkward early stages during the Saturn. Hard to go back to most of them nowadays, much like 3d gaming on PS1 or N64. Although, I think 2d graphics looked amazing on it so that's what I stick to. Along with the great SHMUPs you already mentioned, here's a few more I love:

Hyper Duel
                  Battle Garegga
                  Blast Wind
                  DoDonPachi
                  Layer Section (Galactic Attack is NA version)
                  Shienryu
                  Strikers 1945
                  Thunder Force Gold Packs

Of course most of these are super expensive to get physical versions of, so I rely on emulation to play them. But here's my modest physical collection:

Comment

Street Racer

I've never actually played this one, but the comparisons between it and it's PS1 version are so fascinating I had to post it. You can see the Saturn version heavily utilizes it's sprite-scaling tech, all on a flat plane... sortof a super version of the SNES mario kart. PS1 has more depth to it's terrain, but is missing a ton of detail in the various objects in the environment. Sortof a perfect case-study of what each console was good at.

[yt]JCgqI2EwI7s[/yt]

Oh yeah, and it supports 8-player splitscreen.
                    Originally posted by KAC

riva tnt
                    tnt2
                    geforce2mx
                    kyro 2
                    radeon 8500
                    radeon 9600
                    radeon 9800pro
                    radeon x800pro
                    geforce 8800gtx
                    radeon 6850
                    radeon 280
                    radeon 580
                    radeon 6700xt

Comment

Originally posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
                      Love Radiant Silvergun, its a masterpiece. Ikaruga is its more accessible spiritual successor but does not quite live up to it IMO.

3d gaming was definitely in its awkward early stages during the Saturn. Hard to go back to most of them nowadays, much like 3d gaming on PS1 or N64. Although, I think 2d graphics looked amazing on it so that's what I stick to. Along with the great SHMUPs you already mentioned, here's a few more I love:

Hyper Duel
                      Battle Garegga
                      Blast Wind
                      DoDonPachi
                      Layer Section (Galactic Attack is NA version)
                      Shienryu
                      Strikers 1945
                      Thunder Force Gold Packs

Of course most of these are super expensive to get physical versions of, so I rely on emulation to play them. But here's my modest physical collection:

Impressive collection. I probably only have ~5 legit Saturn games, and I don't own any of the large jewel cases.

I think I have:
                      • Nights into Dreams
                      • Panzer Dragoon
                      • Panzer Dragoon Zwei
                      • Battle Arena Toshinden
                      • AMOK
                      Originally posted by KAC

riva tnt
                      tnt2
                      geforce2mx
                      kyro 2
                      radeon 8500
                      radeon 9600
                      radeon 9800pro
                      radeon x800pro
                      geforce 8800gtx
                      radeon 6850
                      radeon 280
                      radeon 580
                      radeon 6700xt

Comment

I always wanted the Panzer Dragoon games, but could never quite find them. I remember seeing them in the stores back in the 90's, including Saga, but i was a broke high school kid at the time and had to be very selective with the games i bought.

Then years later trying to find them second hand has been near impossible. I'd say they are as hard to find in the wild as TG16 games. Think i only ever came across them for cheap only once or twice in all my hunting years.

This is why emulation is great and so important for game preservation.

Comment

Sold off my whole Saturn library a few years back, prices were to good to pass up, still have my Saturn though.

Comment

I sold one or two of my Saturn games over the years, and almost all my Sega CD games, back before I decided I wanted to keep them as a collection. Some good ones too like Albert Odyssey (Working Designs). I don't really regret it too much though. I'm worried to keep these in my collection, they are valuable and so fragile. I'm always thinking I'll somehow break the cases by breathing too hard on them, or the threat of disc rot will affect them rendering them useless.

Hard to let them go though, aside from the few I found in the past decade I've had the rest since the 90's.

Comment

dragon force was awesome, I think I still have my panzer dragoon saga game somewhere also
                              "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

Comment

Originally posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
                                I always wanted the Panzer Dragoon games, but could never quite find them. I remember seeing them in the stores back in the 90's, including Saga, but i was a broke high school kid at the time and had to be very selective with the games i bought.

Then years later trying to find them second hand has been near impossible. I'd say they are as hard to find in the wild as TG16 games. Think i only ever came across them for cheap only once or twice in all my hunting years.

This is why emulation is great and so important for game preservation.
                                With the Phantom mod chip I burn the games I want and play them on original hardware.
                                I don't want to damage my originals so I burn them and play them the same way. Die Hard Arcade is another one of my favorites.

Guardian Heroes is cool too.
                                Last edited by fO Che -USA-; Oct 1, 2021, 06:22 PM.
                                I love you Joanna Jędrzejczyk!

Comment

Working...
                                X