Official Nintendo Switch Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KAC View Post
    Today I need to pick up Mario Odyssey. My first Mario game since Super Mario Bros on the NES.
    great game so far

Comment

Wife is playing it. My turn will come when they are asleep.

Comment

Woke up and couldn't sleep knowing that Mario was loaded up and ready to go on my switch. Got a couple of hours in before work. So fun. This is the Mario that I've been hoping for since 64.
        Originally posted by Mangler
        Good work guys, we can't have too many positive posts in a row on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
          Might be able to squeeze that much time out of it.

The reviewers I was hearing this from just did all the main portions of the game to get to the end. I'm sure there's tons of extra stuff to do. For example, in Super Mario 64 you only need to collect 70 stars to beat the game (without exploits) but there are 120 total in the game to find. I expect a similar thing with Odyssey.
          Exactly what the ign review said. Really excited about that part. While the Mario 3d world concept was cool I much prefer this route. The exploration is exactly what I loved about Mario 64. Nostalgia aside it's still my favorite Mario title. I still play it occasionally.

Comment

Also this is pretty annoying playing handheld
            https://www.google.com/amp/s/kotaku....1819877218/amp

Comment

Detach joy cons and no issues then even in handheld mode. If you don’t have a stand for a switch, you must have hands made out of iron because handling it while playing games is tough.

Comment

You can do the hat spin by rotating the analog stick while pressing the hat throw no motion controls required.
                Fantards the scourge of the universe:

Comment

Originally posted by SirBaron View Post
                  You can do the hat spin by rotating the analog stick while pressing the hat throw no motion controls required.
                  Yeah but that's it sadly. Can't do the homing throw, upward, downward, and some possession skills without shaking the entire console around.

Comment

Originally posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
                    Also this is pretty annoying playing handheld
                    https://www.google.com/amp/s/kotaku....1819877218/amp
                    Welll my first switch/joycon would drift to the left pretty quickly.
                    I had to return to best buy.
                    Luckily they agreed to just open a. Box of joycon for me, I had hrs of saves already.
                    my graphics card is now a physx card ;
                    my cpu is a quad toaster

Comment

Going to pick up Super Mario Oddysey at lunch today, hopefully have time to play this weekend.
                      Originally posted by IamHere
                      You guys are closet communists.

Comment

Started Odyssey last night and Im pretty impressed for the first level. The game looks polished but the first world looks a bit small. I am going through and looking for the purple coins and all of the moons. I need to go and find out how many there are per world cause I dont think I saw a total count in the game when collecting them.

The game itself runs at 60 in handheld mode which is greatly appreciated. I am sure there are some downgrades vs docked mode but as is its nice.

I like how they mixed in old mario style with new mario style.

Comment

First map is certainly smaller but they start to expand once you progress. After workd 3 you can then backtrack to existing worlds to unlock the rest of the moons.

Comment

Nice, the bigger the better.

Comment

Wife and kid have been playing since morning lol.

Comment

There are a crap ton of moons in the sand world going to be awhile before I go to the new land and then I have to go back to the first 2 worlds.

Comment

Yep, a great Mario game for sure, my Pro controller ended up getting here early just in time for Mario.

Comment

Mario Oddysey is fun as hell!
                                    Originally posted by IamHere
                                    You guys are closet communists.

Comment

Been playing Odyssey way too much today. I haven't been so excited for a game as I was before Odyssey in as long as I can remember. I'm not at all disappointed. It's the sequel to Mario 64 that I always wanted.

Comment

It's muy bueno.

Comment

Was going to wait until december to buy it because I was low on funds for this kind of things , then I remembered I had $60 in my Nintendo account

so..., what a great game, you can't go wrong with this one.
                                          BEHEMOTH (Desktop): Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Formula | Intel Core i9 12900K + Asus ROG Strix LC 240 | Kingston Fury 64GB DDR5-5200 | LG 27GN950-b [email protected] | PowerColor Red Devil Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB | CoolerMaster Cosmos C700P + Asus ROG Thor 1200W Platinum | Sound Blaster X AE-5 + Edifier R1280DBs + Edifier T5 + Logitech G935 | HyperX Alloy Elite RGB CherryMX Red + Logitech G502 Lightspeed + Logitech Powerplay | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe SSD 2TB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe SSD 2TB | LG BD-RE | Windows 11 Pro

Charquito (Desktop): Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz + Asus ROG Ryuo 240 | Corsair Ballistic 32GB DDR4-3000 | Dell U2713HM 27" | Asus ROG Strix Geforce GTX1080| Cooler Master Cosmos 2 + Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W | Logitech MK850 Performance | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB | Sony BD-ROM | Windows 11 Pro

Bloodzone.net Moderator

Comment

I am really enjoying Mario Odyssey. I'm in New Donk City and just completed a section that had me smiling ear to ear. I don't want to give any smiles but long time fans of the series will be enamored.

Comment

https://www.destructoid.com/worldwid...s-469822.phtml

That's in 6 months, Wii u sold 14 million in 5 years

Comment

Plus not even had Christmas yet.

Comment

Originally posted by SirBaron View Post
                                                  Plus not even had Christmas yet.
                                                  Doesn't matter in either case, as both consoles are supply constrained during the holiday season. Switch won't sell any more units during Christmas than it did during the summer.

Although if there's any way for Nintendo to push more supply in the next 2 months, they should. Switches are becoming much more readily available already. Nintendo won't be able to subsist off of scarcity in 2018... they actually need to get games out.
                                                  Originally posted by KAC
                                                  To be honest I never even found doom 3 to be scary since I have a big dick since birth.

Ryzen 5 5600x - radeon 6700xt - 32 gigs memory

Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
                                                  Sega: Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
                                                  Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
                                                  Microsoft: og xbox, xbox360, xbone, series 3
                                                  Atari: Atari 2600, 7800
                                                  Neo Geo: Neo Geo Pocket Color
                                                  Other: Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex

riva tnt
                                                  tnt2
                                                  geforce2mx
                                                  kyro 2
                                                  radeon 8500
                                                  radeon 9600
                                                  radeon 9800pro
                                                  radeon x800pro
                                                  geforce 8800gtx
                                                  radeon 6850
                                                  radeon 280
                                                  radeon 580
                                                  radeon 6700xt

Comment

The games are why I still don't have one. There are really only a few that I'm interested in: Mario, Zelda, and Mario Rabbids. System needs more games!

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
                                                    Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
                                                    EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra
                                                    32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
                                                    Corsair HX1000W
                                                    Corsair 600T Silver Edition
                                                    Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
                                                    LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
                                                    Asus Sabretooth Z77
                                                    Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
                                                    16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
                                                    Corsair CX750M
                                                    Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
                                                    Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard

Comment

Originally posted by OverclockN' View Post
                                                      The games are why I still don't have one. There are really only a few that I'm interested in: Mario, Zelda, and Mario Rabbids. System needs more games!
                                                      Those games right there are good enough for 140-180 hours of gameplay. Moving through Odyssey and its going pretty well. I make a run through a level and try and find all the moons I can and then another thorough run to find more. After my 2nd run through I move to the next world. When I am done I will go back and find as many as I can.

Comment

Mario Odyssey alone is worth it to me to buy the system (Zelda would have been too, but I got it for Wii U).

Only reason I still haven't picked up a Switch yet is timing. We are trying to decide if we should get it for Christmas for our son, or just wait until after the holidays and have him use his gift cards, gift money, etc. to put towards one. Probably leaning towards the later so looks like I might end up playing Mario early next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
                                                          Mario Odyssey alone is worth it to me to buy the system (Zelda would have been too, but I got it for Wii U).

Only reason I still haven't picked up a Switch yet is timing. We are trying to decide if we should get it for Christmas for our son, or just wait until after the holidays and have him use his gift cards, gift money, etc. to put towards one. Probably leaning towards the later so looks like I might end up playing Mario early next year.
                                                          That's a long wait!

Comment

Originally posted by Nascar24 View Post
                                                            That's a long wait!
                                                            Eh, I'm a 40 year old with kids. 3 months goes by in the blink of an eye.

Plus I've got a backlog long enough to fill a lifetime. Actually been playing Mario Sunshine on GameCube in the meantime. Never played that one and its a pretty decent 3D Mario game.

Comment

Originally posted by logical View Post
                                                              Those games right there are good enough for 140-180 hours of gameplay. Moving through Odyssey and its going pretty well. I make a run through a level and try and find all the moons I can and then another thorough run to find more. After my 2nd run through I move to the next world. When I am done I will go back and find as many as I can.
                                                              I agree to be honest. I feel more than satisfied having those 3 titles. I'd argue that Odyssey is taking up most of my time. I can't get enough of it and finding all the moons is more satisfying than stars in the past.

There is also surprisingly robust games in the store; mostly indy, that have killed my wallet as well. HOnestly, the system is ripe right now.
                                                              Plex / Steam Machine / Hyper-V
                                                              MSI Gaming B350 Tomahawk |Ryzen R5 5600X |32GB |MSI 3060Ti VENTUS 2X |19TB NVMe/SDD/HDD |Windows 11 Pro
                                                              Laptop
                                                              Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Fedora 35
                                                              VR
                                                              Oculus Quest 2 / PSVR
                                                              Consoles
                                                              SteamDeck|Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBOXSeries|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Saturn|Genesis
                                                              Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.

Comment

Originally posted by SubCog View Post
                                                                Doesn't matter in either case, as both consoles are supply constrained during the holiday season. Switch won't sell any more units during Christmas than it did during the summer.

Although if there's any way for Nintendo to push more supply in the next 2 months, they should. Switches are becoming much more readily available already. Nintendo won't be able to subsist off of scarcity in 2018... they actually need to get games out.
                                                                It will sell more exactly because it's Christmas, the console is in supply pretty much in most places now so buying is not a issue, plus the "bump" I'd argue is Mario.

Comment

Picked up 3 switch games as I had a $50 gift card credit from last Christmas and they were having a B2G1 free and it included the Switch which a lot of time they don't. So picked up Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe(have it on WiiU but this one has battle mode) and Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. Splatoon 2 has acted kind of flacky though. Have to insert it multiple times for the Switch to read it sometimes. Suppose I could take it back but I guess I have found a somewhat common issue from a google search with the carts. Only Cart to do it so far so I'm guessing its not the Switch.

Comment

Ive put a considerable amount of time into Mario Odyssey and just when I thought I beat the game it isnt over yet. I thought for sure it was going to be a short game but it seems to have legs on it.

Comment

Ive put a considerable amount of time into Mario Odyssey and just when I thought I beat the game it isnt over yet. I thought for sure it was going to be a short game but it seems to have legs on it.
                                                                      Yea I thought I was at the end as well my last time playing as well when I took down the big man. So far boss battles are fairly simple. I guess it takes the frustration factor out of it. Although I know some one may want it to be a little more difficult.

Comment

Yeah bosses are all easy and killed in a similar fashion but its Mario and a kids game. It has to be simple enough for kids to beat the game as well.

Comment

Yeah bosses are all easy and killed in a similar fashion but its Mario and a kids game. It has to be simple enough for kids to beat the game as well.
                                                                          Yeah isn't that just the Mario formula for beating bosses?

-Watch bosses offencive pattern and look for opening to attack.
                                                                          -Hit the boss
                                                                          -Boss counterattacks, so you dodge dip dive duck and dodge.
                                                                          -Boss ends counterattack sequence and goes back to offensive pattern
                                                                          -rinse repeat to hit boss 3 times.

Its always been relatively easy. Nintendo really only adds to the patterns and/or speeds it up to make things challenging.

I believe most of all the Mario games challenges comes from the platforming elements (especially from replaying and finding the hidden stars/moons/theme items) and the secret levels that you eventually unlock.
                                                                          ------Squachbox 2022------
                                                                          Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 full size aluminum chassis
                                                                          Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750watt PSU
                                                                          AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
                                                                          Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
                                                                          2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
                                                                          BenQ Mobiuz EX2710S 27" FHD monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
                                                                          Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
                                                                          Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
                                                                          Samsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe
                                                                          HyperX Cloud Stinger wired headset

Comment

OK, apparently both the boys have told their mother they want a Switch for Christmas. (I think they've figured out she's the one that makes all the money)

So...pardon the dumb question, but...AFAIK, there is only one version (meaning there aren't storage siez differences, etc)...but if there is more than one, what is the one to get?

And other than the base system, what else is needed (as far as accessories?

Hoping there would be a BF bundle but I haven't heard of any yet. Trying to figure out what game to get (other than Mario Odyssey)
                                                                            Originally posted by JohnEJohn
                                                                            It's at least worth a try man, I initially thought wtf to trying it a few years ago and once it entered my mouth it was honestly one of the best things I had ever tasted.

Originally posted by Nunz
                                                                            Does it really matter that much to you? Holy ****. It's almost like some of you want to argue about the most mundane, irrelevant, insensible **** just to argue about something.

Comment

The different versions come with different colored connectors for the joycons and maybe a game. Far as I've seen there are no storage size differences yet, which may be worth looking into.

As far as accessories, depends what you plan on doing. MP games, more joycons or controllers. Probably want to grab an SD card (not sure if it's Micro or not off the top of my head).
                                                                              RIP Shayna 19 Oct 87 17 Sep 03 have a ball ready when it's my time. I'll supply the cookies. :(

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
                                                                              kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
                                                                              battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352

Comment

Originally posted by ASCI Blue View Post
                                                                                The different versions come with different colored connectors for the joycons and maybe a game. Far as I've seen there are no storage size differences yet, which may be worth looking into.

As far as accessories, depends what you plan on doing. MP games, more joycons or controllers. Probably want to grab an SD card (not sure if it's Micro or not off the top of my head).
                                                                                128GB Micro SD card is really necessary at the minimum.

Best buy has a good one on sale for $30

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk...?skuId=4471009

Another would be a glass screen protector. Since the screen is plastic, it scratches easily.

$9

https://www.amazon.com/amFilm-Temper...reen+protector

Lastly, an optional thing to grab would be either a pro controller or another set of joycons. This would enable you to play games with up to 4 players like Mario Kart 8.

Comment

Mario Kart is always a good family game. Tons of fun.
                                                                                  MK8 is definitely one of the best in the series.

I don't think theres a whole lot of differences in the machines, aside from the colors of the joycons (and some bundle with games like Mario Kart bundle, Odyssey bundle, splatoon bundle, Zelda...don't really recall what bundles are out there)

Not sure how the switch version is, but Bomberman is also good for some old school fun. Street Fighter 2 maybe as well? Zelda and/or Splatoon if the kids are into those types of games.
                                                                                  ------Squachbox 2022------
                                                                                  Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 full size aluminum chassis
                                                                                  Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750watt PSU
                                                                                  AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
                                                                                  Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
                                                                                  2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
                                                                                  BenQ Mobiuz EX2710S 27" FHD monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
                                                                                  Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
                                                                                  Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
                                                                                  Samsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe
                                                                                  HyperX Cloud Stinger wired headset

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  X