• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nintendo Announces A New Wii, Called "The Wii Mini"

NINTENDO INTRODUCES NEW Wii MINI THAT'S ALL ABOUT THE GAMES

2012-11-22
    Share on facebookShare on twitter More Sharing Services
    With a New Look, $99.99 Wii Mini Offers an Amazing Value for the Holidays

After nearly 100 million sold worldwide, Nintendo’s Wii console is getting a new look and a new price. On Dec. 7, the new Wii Mini home console launches in Canada at a suggested retail price of just $99.99 and puts the focus squarely on Wii games. The system can play more than 1,400 disc-based Wii games. Wii Mini is smaller than the original Wii system, and comes in matte black with a red border. The system comes with a red Wii Remote Plus, a red Nunchuk controller and works with most Wii accessories.

Nintendo

Quick notes:

The Wii Mini doesn't support Gamecube games and has no Wifi.

EDIT: Will only be available for Canada only for now.
    Last edited by Qb2k5; Nov 27, 2012, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qb2k5 View Post
      Quick notes:
      and has no Wifi.
      ouch. that was dumb.

Comment

Anyone else think of mini wheats after hearing the name

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
          ouch. that was dumb.
          why, Wii's online was super ghetto and everyone hated it....
          ------Squachbox 2022------
          Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 full size aluminum chassis
          Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750watt PSU
          AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
          Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
          2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
          BenQ Mobiuz EX2710S 27" FHD monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
          Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
          Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
          Samsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe
          HyperX Cloud Stinger wired headset

Comment

Originally posted by Sasquach View Post
            i was thinking more of the inability to use it for netflix, but honestly, I cant think of any reasons other than that.

Comment

That's just going to confuse consumers, even more.
              Originally posted by General Lee
              I've been praying for your nuts.
              If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)

Comment

On-line play adds a lot more replay value to Mario Kart. Can't speak for any other games. Their app store also requires on-line access. Would it really have cost that much to leave WiFi in? You can get Wifi adapters for practically free these days so it seems like it should have been a no brainer.

Perhaps they feel the main market for the Wii Mini is people without broadband. I do recall them saying something about trying to expand into less developed countries.

This article has a better view of the console. Has a sort of retro angular industrial design.
                Last edited by aviphysics; Nov 27, 2012, 01:21 PM.
                THG is to computer hardware what MTV is to music.

Comment

Should have called it a WeeWii.
                  The Core Value: Non-Aggression :(

Originally posted by HyperNovae
                  Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.

Comment

Canada only ehh?
                    "In the year 2004, ATi fans marveled in their own magnificence as ATi gave birth to catalyst A.I . We don't know who struck first, nVidia or us, but it is us who scorched the IQ forever"
                    R.I.P Vasi, 2002-2011
                    R.I.P Muha, 2010-2021

Comment

Seems like they are taking the Sony approach.

Mini usb wifi cards are crazy cheap. I could imagine in bulk a wifi usb wouldn't cost no more than a couple dollars for Nintendo to integrate it on the Wii Mini system board.

Comment

Originally posted by clerick View Post
                        Canada only ehh?
                        Seems aboot right.
                        I've been praying for your nuts.
                        If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)

Comment

From the pics it looks to use a top loading disc mechanism like the Dreamcast.

Source

Comment

With the little power the Wii uses I'm surprised Nintendo couldn't of made it thinner.

Comment

Canada is an exceedingly well connected country, so the lack of internet ability is pretty odd in that respect. Hell the whole thing seems exceedingly odd.
                              -Trunks0
                              not speaking for all and if I am wrong I never said it.
                              (plz note that is meant as a joke)

System:
                              Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - PowerColor RedDevil Radeon RX 7900XTX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit

Comment

its ugly and has no wifi...

it will sell well, but people will be pissed off when they try to watch netflix and realize what they got themselves into

I don't see how this is an improvement over the Wii. Usually slimmer consoles also have some sort of noticeable improvement...
                                Now Playing:
                                Joe Dever's: Lone Wolf (NS)
                                Final Fantasy World (PS4P)

Comment

Originally posted by Qb2k5 View Post
                                  With the little power the Wii uses I'm surprised Nintendo couldn't of made it thinner.
                                  I think the primary goal was cost reduction, not size reduction. Making it thinner would have probably cost more.

Comment

I saw Wii's for $99 at target and Gamestop. Is $99 an ideal price point for this thing?
                                    Plex / Steam Machine / Hyper-V
                                    MSI Gaming B350 Tomahawk |Ryzen R5 5600X |32GB |MSI 3060Ti VENTUS 2X |19TB NVMe/SDD/HDD |Windows 11 Pro
                                    Laptop
                                    Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Fedora 35
                                    VR
                                    Oculus Quest 2 / PSVR
                                    Consoles
                                    SteamDeck|Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBOXSeries|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Saturn|Genesis
                                    Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmt View Post
                                      I saw Wii's for $99 at target and Gamestop. Is $99 an ideal price point for this thing?
                                      Yes.
                                      Now Playing:

Comment

Originally posted by Trunks0 View Post
                                        Canada is an exceedingly well connected country, so the lack of internet ability is pretty odd in that respect. Hell the whole thing seems exceedingly odd.
                                        Canada might not be the final target demographics for this thing. Nintendo has previously announced they were planning to break into 2nd and 3rd world markets with a cheap version of the Wii. This looks like what they were talking about.

Why they are selling it in Canada is an interesting question. Perhaps they know something about how Canadians use the Wii that we don't.

Comment

the wiiwhy
                                          Add me on steam
                                          PSN: robv99

Comment

Why not call it the Wiini?

Comment

Originally posted by Sasquach View Post
                                              Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                                              i was thinking more of the inability to use it for netflix, but honestly, I cant think of any reasons other than that.
                                              Wii online was nothing special for sure, other than a console update to play a game or two, I've had no reason for online capability.

And having a Wii anything for netflix is a silly reason.
                                              Originally posted by Redeemed
                                              Granted, this is coming from the fella' who's had over 1,000lbs of bucking muscle under neath him.
                                              Originally posted by John Smith
                                              "Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun

Comment

Originally posted by VW_Factor View Post
                                                Wii online was nothing special for sure, other than a console update to play a game or two, I've had no reason for online capability.

And having a Wii anything for netflix is a silly reason.
                                                Yeah a $60 Roku will play Netflix in HD; a Wii won't...
                                                Now Playing:

Comment

hands on review:
                                                  Nintendo's Wii Mini has been a bit more elusive than we thought, but we've at last snagged the entry-level console ahead of its official release and given it a quick shakedown. While it does what it says on the tin -- welcome newcomers and second-system shoppers to the Wii universe -- we've found that there's a few important details to consider beyond just the absences of internet access and GameCube support. Read on past the break for our quick look. %Gallery-172801%

bads:
                                                  • no GC BC
                                                  • no internet at all
                                                  • no SD
                                                  • component cables apparently don't work (?)
                                                  • ugly
                                                  I knew it had no wifi, but I didn't know it had NO internet at all....

at $100 this could have been a half decent competitor for Rokus and Google TVs, but not without any internet
                                                  Now Playing:

Comment

No component cable support is just plain weird. The Wii has some good titles in their on-line library, so that is disappointing too. It isn't even that much smaller than the Wii.

Basically a cheap as possible device aimed at people with old SD TV sets and no internet.

Comment

I look at it and hte list of features and think about how it's designed for one of these:

Comment

Originally posted by Omega53 View Post
                                                        Anyone else think of mini wheats after hearing the name
                                                        The thing does look edible

Comment

it looks like those pre gameboy handheld nintendo devices. pretty neat.

Comment

I prefer the textured surface as opposed to the super shiny finish. However, the lack of connectivity kills it for anything useful. Interesting to see how it does in developing countries. I know that tectoy still sells/builds a sega genesis variant for south america and parts of asia.
                                                            {currently watching : Planet Earth }
                                                            {currently reading : Spook Country }
                                                            {currently missing : Vengence : SH64 : ChrisRay : ragejg : Efin }

Comment

Composite video cable? I can't even hook this up to my tv... what year is it?

Comment

Probably best for 3rd world countries.

Comment

Working...
                                                                X