Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XBOX Live Update

Just got the new update and I like it.
    The new Internet Explorer app is ok (no flash) but it could be better.
    The Netflix app updated immediately after the update and the interface looks the same as before but now the video is in 1080 HD unlike before. The audio is 5.1 but I believe it was like that before.

The VUDU app updated and now you can rent movies in HDX unlike before. The Cinema Now updated too but I couldn't tell what was diffeent since I never used it before.

It looks like you can now watch 1080 video on the apps unlike before where the only 1080 video was through the XBOX movie store.

I also see you can now pin apps to your main screen.
    That's about all the time I had to play with it so far but I am liking it.

Curious what other new things people have found in the update.
    Disclaimer: If you can't see this post I may be globally ignored

Ugh at needing gold to use Internet explorer

Comment

You need gold to pretty much do anything. Once I pick up my WiiU I'm dropping gold as all I really use it for is Netflix and the Amazon app. **** that should be free.
      “On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid
      the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all
      that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it’s
      the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!”

YellowBeard says, "Fold ya scurvy b*st*rds!"

Comment

netflix requiring gold is stupid imo. a sub for a sub.

Comment

I've had the update for a quite a while now since I signed up for the public beta (I think quite a few others here did too). There were a large handful of incremental updates along the way to both the system software and a few apps.
          Originally posted by Hogrider View Post
          The Netflix app updated immediately after the update and the interface looks the same as before but now the video is in 1080 HD unlike before. The audio is 5.1 but I believe it was like that before.
          HD and 5.1 availability depend on the title. You'll see what is available next to the title name in the description bar.
          AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI 3080 VENTUS 3X OC 10G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | WD Black SN750 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 4K w/Hisense 55" U8H Mini LED Quantum ULED 4K TV
          HT: Hisense 55" U8H Mini LED Quantum ULED 4K TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DP-UB820 4K Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox Series X
          Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
            netflix requiring gold is stupid imo. a sub for a sub.
            SUBSCRIPTION!!!
            or
            SUBSCEPTION!!!!

Im sorry you need a subscription to go deeper.
            ------Squachbox 2022------
            Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 full size aluminum chassis
            Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750watt PSU
            AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
            Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
            2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
            BenQ Mobiuz EX2710S 27" FHD monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
            Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
            Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
            Samsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe
            HyperX Cloud Stinger wired headset

Comment

I've never understood why they require a gold subscription for Netflix, especially considering it's been free for Wii/PS3 users since the beginning...
              Intel i7-5820K ∙ Asus X99-A ∙ Crucial 4x4GB DDR4-2400 ∙ EVGA GTX1080 ∙ Samsung 840 EVO 250GB ∙ ASUS PG279Q + Dell U2713HM ∙ Corsair HX850 ∙ Win10/Ubuntu16 | Xbox One
              Lenovo T470p ∙ Intel i7-7700HQ ∙ Nvidia 940MX ∙ 2x8GB DDR4-2400 ∙ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB/ZTC M.2 2242 256GB ∙ 1440p IPS ∙ Win10/Ubuntu16

Comment

Originally posted by DeathKnight View Post
                HD and 5.1 availability depend on the title. You'll see what is available next to the title name in the description bar.
                Yes I know but before the update Netflix (and none of the other apps as far as I know except for Zune) would play 1080 video even if it said HD on the Netflix description. I couldn't remember if previously you could get 5.1 through Netflix on the XBOX.
                I stopped using the XBOX for Netflix completely once I saw that the 1080 was crippled.
                I have been using our Sony NSZ-GS7 2nd generation Google TV box for Netflix which does 1080 and 5.1 and I like the interface much better.

Comment

I don't think I'll be using XBL Gold when my sub expires in November. Kinda lame as I really like the 360 interface overall, esp now with all the recent additions.
                  "Hi,

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
                  mad"

Comment

Where are the privacy settings hiding now?

Comment

Originally posted by Lupine View Post
                      Where are the privacy settings hiding now?

they hid them because they are private.

Comment

not sure if i'll use ie on the xbox, but I'm really liking the smartglass thing, seems a lot more natural to swipe to move bits n bobs than pressing a virtual d-pad. also works brilliantly with ie, bit odd using the phone looking at the tv, i think for many it will be a welcome feature

Comment

I downloaded the X Box Live app for my iphone 4s and it works ok with the XBox but the IE controls really suck. It makes you use the buttons instead of swiping to move the cursor. Are you able to do that using another phone app?
                          Also it doesn't want to stay connected. If it downloads an update and disconnects from XBOX Live it has a hard time reconnecting and sometimes it won't at all.
                          Not impressed but it just may be the iphone app.

Comment

I downloaded the X Box Live app for my iphone 4s and it works ok with the XBox but the IE controls really suck. It makes you use the buttons instead of swiping to move the cursor. Are you able to do that using another phone app?
                            Also it doesn't want to stay connected. If it downloads an update and disconnects from XBOX Live it has a hard time reconnecting and sometimes it won't at all.
                            Not impressed but it just may be the iphone app.
                            with the windows phone app in IE it works like a laptop touch pad, you can pinch to zoom in/out scroll using the right hand side of the screen and tap the screen to click on the links, moving your finger around on the screen moves the pointer on the screen, just like moving a mouse with a laptop touchpad. I've been told the android version is supposed to be the best version, issues with multitasking on wp allow the android version to do more apparently although havent' seen it for myself. Have you got the latest iOS on your phone? maybe it works better on some over others?

Comment

Yea I've got ios 6 and the latest app.
                              I'll play with it more.

Comment

The update makes my xbox freeze at the dash sometimes.

Comment

Just got the new update and I like it.
                                  The new Internet Explorer app is ok (no flash) but it could be better.

The VUDU app updated and now you can rent movies in HDX unlike before. The Cinema Now updated too but I couldn't tell what was diffeent since I never used it before.

It looks like you can now watch 1080 video on the apps unlike before where the only 1080 video was through the XBOX movie store.

I also see you can now pin apps to your main screen.
                                  That's about all the time I had to play with it so far but I am liking it.

Curious what other new things people have found in the update.
                                  Still no Flash? Even the Wii has flash...
                                  The Core Value: Non-Aggression :(

Originally posted by HyperNovae
                                  Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.

Comment

Smartglass for ios was released a day or 2 ago. Haven't had time to play with it yet though.

Comment

Finally tried SmartGlass last night and it works damn good. I probably will rarely use it just like I will rarely use the Youtube fling to tv on my phone with our Google TV box but still pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
                                      X