Why I hate the XBox 360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why I hate the XBox 360

Before you fanbois get all riled up, I will point out that I own 3 360s at this time.

First, some background detail. I have 3 floors in the house, 1 360 on each (basement office, living room, upstairs bedroom).

I play mostly on the bedroom unit. Sometimes when the wife wants to sleep at night, I will go down to the living room or basement. I'm pretty sure this scenario applies to MANY owners.

Now my biggest gripe about the 360 is this:

If I sign in on my 360 in the bedroom on XBL, play for a bit, turn it off and then move downstairs to another 360, I have to recover my freaking gamertag EVERY time. If I recover my gamertag on a 360 downstairs, when I get back upstairs, I have to recover the bloody gamertag AGAIN on the bedroom 360.

Short of duplicating hard drives, which *could* get me banned again, it doens't look like there's any way to have your gamertag on multiple consoles and simply just sign in. It's freaking retarded!!!

If anyone has a solution to this problem, you earn the right to call me dumbass at your leisure. Otherwise /rant.
    "Hi,

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
    mad"

i hate that too. i think you can carry your profile on a memory card, though. not sure.
    ATLUS

Comment

I doubt too many people (outside of hackers) own more than 1 working 360. It's a bit annoying I guess.

What I hate about Microsoft (and thus the 360) is the overpriced storage devices they force you to buy (hdd, memory card) and then make transfering files a real pain and very restrictive. I also hate how ban-happy they are...do something slightly offensive, exploit a glitch, or cheat in a game they don't approve of and you're gone. I've never done anything ban-worthy but they still tick me off anyway. I'm doubtful at this point if I'll buy another system from them...I skipped the original Xbox and the 360 hasn't impressed me all that much with their greedy and invasive attitude

Comment

True, you can. I have a MU but it's still a hassle to navigate to system>memroy, copy GT, sign in vs turn on, sign in.

When I bought my second 360, I did the HD transfer to the new HD but before I did, I made a backup of the original HD on my PC. I then restored that image to my old HD and then both systems were able to sign in without recovering GTs. However, I then went to a firend's house and broke that convenient feature because I recovered my GT on his system.

The removable hard drive also doesn't do jack, it's quite frankly one of the worst account managment systems I've ever used.
        "Hi,

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
        mad"

Comment

Originally posted by MyTMouse View Post
          I doubt too many people (outside of hackers) own more than 1 working 360. It's a bit annoying I guess.
          People with families may have multiple 360s which share GTs. One of my buddies who's still living at home with his brothers has 5 360s in the house and they constantly swap back and forth.

The guy who used to own the house I just bought also had 2 360s on different floors like me.

I know several families where the dad has a 360 and the kid has his own 360. Sometimes it's more convenient to use one console rather than the other. I can see lots of people running into this problem.

What I hate about Microsoft (and thus the 360) is the overpriced storage devices they force you to buy (hdd, memory card) and then make transfering files a real pain and very restrictive. I also hate how ban-happy they are...do something slightly offensive, exploit a glitch, or cheat in a game they don't approve of and you're gone. I've never done anything ban-worthy but they still tick me off anyway. I'm doubtful at this point if I'll buy another system from them...I skipped the original Xbox and the 360 hasn't impressed me all that much with their greedy and invasive attitude
          No doubt, I hate the fact that I had to buy a MU just to transfer saves back and forth. (again, wtf removable hard drive) And especially after what they with locking out Datel and other 3rd parties. If most of my friends weren't on XBL, I'd happily switch consoles...
          "Hi,

Thank you.

Regards,
          mad"

Comment

Originally posted by MyTMouse View Post

People pay to play, so when others exploit the game or hack, they need to be banned asap. Nothing else to it. It's not fair to others.

Comment

Originally posted by Sound_Card View Post
              People pay to play, so when others exploit the game or hack, they need to be banned asap. Nothing else to it. It's not fair to others.
              I disagree with this to some level. I have legitimate reasons to hack my HD (image it for backup purposes). If MS provided better storage/account management, users wouldn't have to decrypt their storage devices and open up the possibilities of altering game content that way. At least you could separate the cheaters from normal users. But no, they wanted to make everything super-restrictive and the only result they've achieved is to ban legitimate users and barely do a thing to illegitimate play.
              "Hi,

Thank you.

Regards,
              mad"

Comment

HATE XBOX 360!!! THAT'S UNPOSSIBLE

Comment

You just need to leave your profile on your memory card. Move that between 360s. That is what I do.

Comment

Jamar, I dunno why using an MU to store my GT doesn't work, it always asks me to recover.
                    Last edited by Pr()ZaC; Dec 3, 2009, 03:22 PM.
                    "Hi,

Thank you.

Regards,
                    mad"

Comment

So... update: I found what the problem was, there was a partial gamertag (maybe from the initial HD transfer) still on one my HDs. For some reason, it would prevent me from signing in unless I recovered. Since I deleted it, I can now swap hard drives and MUs between xboxes without a hitch.

However, this is a barely acceptable solution as all my 360s have HDs and it doesn't make sense to swap HDs between them. It also doesn't make sense to force a user with multiple HDs to buy an overpriced memory unit just for the convenience of having a portable gamertag...

Ah well, what can you do...
                      "Hi,

Thank you.

Regards,
                      mad"

Comment

I'm in the same boat of having multiple 360's at home. hate hving to recover as it takes forever. might have to go buy an overpriced MU just to have a portable GT.

So, if I swap HD's (which is a hassle) will it work withouth having to recover at each 360?
                        Occam's razor ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Comment

3 xboxes? The only solution is to give me one! plus, when the hell did you get married man? Congrats!
                          {currently watching : Planet Earth }
                          {currently reading : Spook Country }
                          {currently missing : Vengence : SH64 : ChrisRay : ragejg : Efin }

Comment

Originally posted by Zero View Post
                            What the hell you talking about?

Anyways...

Jamar, I dunno why using an MU to store my GT doesn't work, it always asks me to recover.
                            Weird man. I haven't had to do that on my MU. I do still run into other issues with it that I don't like. Some game saves being locked to the 360 and the DLC I have being restricted to one 360 unless I'm logged into Live not just my gamertag. I can see where your issue would be pretty irritating. Recovering a gamertag is cumbersome and slow.

Doh. Just read your second reply. Glad to see it fixed but I still understand your frustration. The tying an account to one console is a pita for people that own more than one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar View Post
                              You just need to leave your profile on your memory card. Move that between 360s. That is what I do.
                              yes, you can do that easily enough. Then the trouble is saved games, so you might want to use a bigger memory card.

m$ is always looking for ways to add value to the gold account... one obvious way to do that is to store saved games online, so you can access them from any system. I think people would appreciate this alot more than facebook or internet radio... and I'm sure Sony's a long way from being able to compete with such a feature.
                              Originally posted by KAC
                              To be honest I never even found doom 3 to be scary since I have a big dick since birth.

Ryzen 5 5600x - radeon 6700xt - 32 gigs memory

Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
                              Sega: Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
                              Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
                              Microsoft: og xbox, xbox360, xbone, series 3
                              Atari: Atari 2600, 7800
                              Neo Geo: Neo Geo Pocket Color
                              Other: Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex

riva tnt
                              tnt2
                              geforce2mx
                              kyro 2
                              radeon 8500
                              radeon 9600
                              radeon 9800pro
                              radeon x800pro
                              geforce 8800gtx
                              radeon 6850
                              radeon 280
                              radeon 580
                              radeon 6700xt

Comment

Originally posted by DiaperJe|\|i3 View Post
                                3 xboxes? The only solution is to give me one! plus, when the hell did you get married man? Congrats!
                                haha I just bought the 3rd one from the deal they had this week ($150 for an arcade, sell the controller and game and it's below $100).

NOt married yet, just tentatively engaged. I've been calling her my wife for years now

ANd to confirm, yes my HD swap is working. Basically, you need to ensure that there's only one instance of your GT "active" across all 360s you own for it to work. This means, recover and put your GT on a MU or HD on the active 360, deleting your GT from all other 360s and then swapping the MU/HD on which your GT resides between your consoles.

I'm looking into an alternative solution with duplicating the MU and putting the GT on mulitple consoles simultaneously via a Datel MU USB reader. But I'm thinking if I recover my GT at a friend's house it'll probably break that feature again. Having a MU is the way to go it seems... Damned $40 premium just to do something any basic computer can do...
                                "Hi,

Thank you.

Regards,
                                mad"

Comment

Try amazon, I've seen the old MU's go for under $10. (64MB).
                                  Occam's razor ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Comment

Zero,

If you need a MU I have one that came with my Arcade unit I never use. Think Im going to be selling the 360 after me and some friends finish a couple games so I really dont need it.
                                    Uncharted 2: Greatest game this gen? Or greatest game ever?

Comment

Originally posted by NEODARK View Post
                                      Try amazon, I've seen the old MU's go for under $10. (64MB).
                                      The 512mb cards can be had for $40 or less. I really wish I could use my own storage method though

Comment

Originally posted by plan-9 View Post
                                        Zero,

If you need a MU I have one that came with my Arcade unit I never use. Think Im going to be selling the 360 after me and some friends finish a couple games so I really dont need it.
                                        Thanks, I already have a 512MB MU though (bought it a few months ago).
                                        "Hi,

Thank you.

Regards,
                                        mad"

Comment

Originally posted by Zero View Post
                                          Thanks, I already have a 512MB MU though (bought it a few months ago).
                                          Cool. Didnt think you needed one by what you wrote. But people kept talking about buying a MU. Thought I missed something. hehe.
                                          Uncharted 2: Greatest game this gen? Or greatest game ever?

Comment

Working...
                                          X