Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PS3 Slim Expected August 18; Price Cut Still Unconfirmed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    PS3 Slim Expected August 18; Price Cut Still Unconfirmed

    Not much is known about Sony's plans, except that the company wants to woo consumers to purchase the struggling console.

    Dozens of unconfirmed rumors regarding the Sony PlayStation 3 have been published online the past six months, and while very little is still known about the company's plans, it appears a price cut and new console launch will take place in the immediate future.

    Even though specific details haven't been released by Sony, there are multiple rumors indicating the company will release its PlayStation 3 Slim unit on August 18. It will officially launch prior to the Gamescom event in Germany, but details of the console are unknown.

    Sony has vehemently denied price cuts are in Sony's future, but there have been several hints that were recently noticed the past few days. Online retailer Amazon has cut the price of the 160GB PS3 Uncharted: Drake's Fortune bundle from $499 down to $449.


    Source: DailyTech

    #2
    I would resent a price cut on the PS3 console now...

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by KickAssCop View Post
      I would resent a price cut on the PS3 console now...
      Why? Do you enjoy what it offers you and obviously you didn't have a problem paying the price you did for it to get the experience you obviously enjoy.

      It is going to happen eventually as everything does and IMO it should have happened a long time ago. If anything you should be happy as more people will be buying the PS3 at a lower price that they wanted and selling more software that is much needed.

      However I will believe a price cut when I see it.
      system spec: DA-GOODS
      FX [email protected] , 8GB X4 crucial 1666, X-Fire Radeon 7970 3GB X2, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX r2.0, 2x Samsung 830 128GB (boot drive) 2X 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows 8 Pro.

      system spec: HYPER-V
      Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2

      Comment


        #4
        Why aug 18th? Anything special about this day?

        ||my games:_www.mynightjobgame.com__www.chameleongame.com__www.minihuntgame.com
        || Witcher 3 ::: Unreal Engine 4
        || MSI Ge62 2QE ::: i7-4720 ::: 16GB DDR3 ::: GTX965m ::: Evo850 500GB ssd
        || ::: New 3DS cfw Luma :::
        ||____________________________________________________________________________________________

        Comment


          #5
          I thought the PS3 slim was confirmed as fake? Was it not?

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by LimeyGeeza View Post
            I thought the PS3 slim was confirmed as fake? Was it not?
            I believe your are referring to some leaked photos supposedly of the PS3 Slim. As far as I know, however, the Slim's existence itself has not been disproven.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Android1 View Post
              I believe your are referring to some leaked photos supposedly of the PS3 Slim. As far as I know, however, the Slim's existence itself has not been disproven.
              I find it hard to believe Sony would be changing it's whole production line for internal components and external casing, to sell the console at a lower price, the cost of changing the production would surely outweigh the gains in profit at this stage. It just doesn't make business sense to be releasing a PS3 slim right now, when they could just lower the price on the current console without any added manufacturing retooling and costs. This is something a company would usually do when the previous version is already turning a profit. IE: with the PS2 and Nintendo DS.

              Personally I wouldn't hold my breath for a PS3 slim anytime soon...right now its all speculation and conjecture from unknown, unconfirmed sources. Just because it's not been disproven, doesn't make it real.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by LimeyGeeza View Post
                I find it hard to believe Sony would be changing it's whole production line for internal components and external casing, to sell the console at a lower price, the cost of changing the production would surely outweigh the gains in profit at this stage. It just doesn't make business sense to be releasing a PS3 slim right now, when they could just lower the price on the current console without any added manufacturing retooling and costs. This is something a company would usually do when the previous version is already turning a profit. IE: with the PS2 and Nintendo DS.

                Personally I wouldn't hold my breath for a PS3 slim anytime soon...right now its all speculation and conjecture from unknown, unconfirmed sources. Just because it's not been disproven, doesn't make it real.
                Good points. With the rumor mill churning like crazy like it is, we are bound to find out the truth sooner or later.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Dailytech needs to get their facts straight. They said, "Sony has vehemently denied price cuts are in Sony's future."

                  We enjoy healthy business relationships with and greatly value our publishing partners and are working closely with them to deliver the best entertainment experience.
                  This is what their link says. What a bunch of idjits.
                  I am not a woman.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I think Android forgot to post an important part related to that news:


                    Sony PS3 manufacturing costs fall 70%

                    Despite Sony officials denying a price cut is in the works for later this year, the overall manufacturing cost of the Sony PlayStation 3 has dropped around 70 percent since the console’s original launch three years ago.
                    The news comes from Sony CEO Nobuyuki Oneda, who recently discussed the cost reduction in an interview, which caused further rumors of a pending PS3 price cut.
                    “The cost reduction since we introduced the PS3 is very substantial and this is on schedule,” Oneda tol d GI.biz in an interview. “We don’t disclose how much of the PlayStation 3, specifically the cost deduction, was achieved during the past two years. But that is on schedule.”

                    Unconfirmed rumors indicate the PS3 cost $800 each to manufacture, which meant each console was sold at a major loss. In January 2008, it was said production costs were dropped to $400, and now it costs just $265 per unit to manufacture the PS3.
                    If true, then the Sony PS3 — the 80GB model retails for $399.99 — then a price cut is extremely likely in the future. It’d be asinine for the company to not have a price cut to help attract new consumers.

                    Originally posted by John C Flett
                    I'd swear the PC is the Dracula of gaming. Old and powerful, somebody is always trying to kill it, but it always comes back from the dead, strong as ever.
                    Originally posted by H001iGAN
                    no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC

                    Comment


                      #11
                      my prediction few months ago was the price cut for PS3 will come before Uncharted 2 release in October.
                      So I was expecting the price cut around September, therefore I can believe August 18th as the date for the price cut only.
                      however I still don't believe we will see PS3 Slim version on August 18th.
                      I think that would come a year later after Sony reduces the manufacturing costs even more than they have.
                      Originally posted by John C Flett
                      I'd swear the PC is the Dracula of gaming. Old and powerful, somebody is always trying to kill it, but it always comes back from the dead, strong as ever.
                      Originally posted by H001iGAN
                      no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by nomore View Post
                        I think Android forgot to post an important part related to that news:


                        Sony PS3 manufacturing costs fall 70%

                        Despite Sony officials denying a price cut is in the works for later this year, the overall manufacturing cost of the Sony PlayStation 3 has dropped around 70 percent since the console’s original launch three years ago.
                        The news comes from Sony CEO Nobuyuki Oneda, who recently discussed the cost reduction in an interview, which caused further rumors of a pending PS3 price cut.
                        “The cost reduction since we introduced the PS3 is very substantial and this is on schedule,” Oneda tol d GI.biz in an interview. “We don’t disclose how much of the PlayStation 3, specifically the cost deduction, was achieved during the past two years. But that is on schedule.”

                        Unconfirmed rumors indicate the PS3 cost $800 each to manufacture, which meant each console was sold at a major loss. In January 2008, it was said production costs were dropped to $400, and now it costs just $265 per unit to manufacture the PS3.
                        If true, then the Sony PS3 — the 80GB model retails for $399.99 — then a price cut is extremely likely in the future. It’d be asinine for the company to not have a price cut to help attract new consumers.

                        http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/17941-s...s-fall-70.html
                        That bit of information is contained in the full article.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          From my understanding in a months time sony is going to drop the price of the older and bigger PS3s to clear out inventory for the new Slims. With the recent announcement of the ps3 costing $250 to build makes the Slim and price cuts even more real.

                          Im hoping they drop the 80GB down to $299 so I can snag one. Preferably Id go with the slim since it requires less room and uses less power.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X