Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.... Classic or Crap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.... Classic or Crap?

After growing up on the NES and SNES, I bought a PSX. Because I didn't own an N64 back in the mid to late 90's, I feel like I did miss out on some 1st party N64 classics.

However, I've begun playing through Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on an N64 emulator, and while it runs flawlessly... I just don't think it's that good, or at the very least, it's no where near as highly rated as I've seen it on several "Top 10" lists. I mean, I owned the original Legend of Zelda, The Adventure of Link, and Link to the Past and loved them all, but Ocarina of Time is just blah.

The big open world is "open" and boring. Compared to previous Zelda titles, this one feels very slow paced. Lots of running back and forth with the annoying day/night transitions. And while I get the point of Nintendo giving you Navi to give you hints, it's completely worthless. I mean, I just entered the Goron City and how the hell was I supposed to know I needed to play Saria's Song for the head guy there without looking at a walk through.

I don't know, it just seems very confusing to the point of frustration. Link to the Past was perfect. Lots of fast paced action, puzzles, short and sweet conversations with NPC's that told you what you had to do in a non-cryptic manner. Plus the camera is quite sucky and I get hit more using the targeting system than just hacking and slashing about.

So, my question is, should I continue to play through it? Does it get any better? After playing Wind Waker for a little bit, it feels completely different. WW feels fun and enjoyable. Ocarina of Time just feels like a chore.

Ocrina of Time is just plain awesome.

Some of the puzzles require a bit of thought...

When I was layed up in the hospital years ago, my father got me an N64 and I played through this game while I was there. Straight up awesomeness.

Although, being medicated and bored in teh hospital might have had something to do with the fun factor. heh.

Ive played through it a couple of times since and still love the game.
    Originally posted by Redeemed
    Granted, this is coming from the fella' who's had over 1,000lbs of bucking muscle under neath him.
    Originally posted by John Smith
    "Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun

Comment

It's one of the best games I've ever played and I've played a lot of games.

I guess there's that rare person that may not like it and maybe you're it.

I dunno, I can't fathom anyone not liking that game...there's only a couple of puzzles that took me a few minutes to work out but I had fun spending my time in the open world.

I found Wind Waker to be great but nowhere near as fun as OoT

Comment

I loved it.

Majora's Mask was crap, but Ocarina of Time was
        Main PC: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHZ l 16GB Corsair DDR3 RAM l nVidia GTX 1070 8GB / AMD 290X 4GB l 256GB SSD HD + 1TB 7200rpm
        Laptop: Intel 4720HQ @ 2.6GHZ l 8GB RAM l nVidia 860M 2GB l 1TB HD 7200rpm l 1080p
        Consoles: Playstation 4 500GB l Xbox One 500GB l Wii U 32GB l Vita w/ 16GB Card

Comment

Great game, played through it several times back in the day. I don't know if I could go back to it now, but that's only because I have issues playing outdated games. I would rank it as one of my all time favorite games, easily.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
          Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
          EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra
          32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
          Corsair HX1000W
          Corsair 600T Silver Edition
          Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
          LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
          Asus Sabretooth Z77
          Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
          16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
          Corsair CX750M
          Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
          Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard

Comment

I loved it and played it through several times.

Wait til after the third dungeon, is what I will say.
            CS-Nation

Comment

Pr3tty F1y, definitely give it more of a chance. It is hands down the best of the Zelda series by far. Unless of course it's too dated for someone picking it up for the first time in 2009, which could be the case and then you are out of luck.

I picked it up the day of release and could not put it down until I finished it. I loved every second of it but the highlights were definitely the dungeons while you are playing as the older Link.

Comment

Originally posted by Meteor|WAR View Post
                Pr3tty F1y, definitely give it more of a chance. It is hands down the best of the Zelda series by far. Unless of course it's too dated for someone picking it up for the first time in 2009, which could be the case and then you are out of luck.

I picked it up the day of release and could not put it down until I finished it. I loved every second of it but the highlights were definitely the dungeons while you are playing as the older Link.
                It's not that it's dated. I mean, I've played through Final Fantasy III/VI this year along with Super Metroid and Mario 64 is one of my favorite games of all time. It's just I really like LttP and WW and they seems very entertaining. OoT just seems clunky and slow compared to either LttP or WW. Maybe I'll finish up through the Dodongo caves and see if it improves.

Comment

OoT was absolutely awesome.

Comment

Most replayed game on my list. Last time I checked people were still improving the graphics for emu's.

Comment

X2 OoT awesome, puzzles require some thought (and paying attention, I think one of the puzzles was solved by listening to the background music) but i never used a walkthrough to beat it.

Comment

OoT was an amazing game at release and is probably my favorite game of all time. The ending area and sequence in particular is one of my favorite parts of any game ever.

Granted, this is seen through the eyes of nostalgia. I don't know how the game would hold up to someone today as a new experience. I know personally that having not played the original NES Zelda until the early 2000s that that game is pretty terrible. Especially compared to Link to the Past that I had played years earlier and which perfected the 2D Zelda gameplay. When I told this to a friend who grew up playing the original, he thought I was crazy and maintains that LoZ is still the best game in the series. And he would be wrong.

Comment

For someone playing this for the first time in 2009 its going to be hard to see how great the game is. I mean after all, current games have already copy what they could out of OOT and have much better 3D engines now. 2D games will always play that same no matter if it was when it came it out but how well the game is put together hence Final Fantasy 3 and such you mention. Play it but don't try to compare it current games which Im sure you are doing without even thinking. Also the puzzels are good and if you need a guide then you need to pay more attention to the game. Most people played through this game without a guide. Gotta remember Zelda when it first came out was something like $70-80 bucks. After the game most of us could'nt get the guide anyway.

Comment

its a classic
                            ./)/)
                            ( . .)
                            c(")(")
                            I dreamt you were a cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodongo77 View Post
                              I know personally that having not played the original NES Zelda until the early 2000s that that game is pretty terrible. Especially compared to Link to the Past that I had played years earlier and which perfected the 2D Zelda gameplay. When I told this to a friend who grew up playing the original, he thought I was crazy and maintains that LoZ is still the best game in the series. And he would be wrong.
                              LoZ may not be the best of the series but it is no way terrible. Hell, for someone with your username and avatar I'm surprised you'd have that opinion.

Although I dont know how it appears to someone who didnt play it until the 2000s. Maybe the game is too dated for someone like you but being "dated" does not make it a bad game. Judge a game for the time it was released. Back in the mid-80's it was a phenomenal must have title. I even recently (within last 3 years) played it on Gameboy Advance and still had a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by Pr3tty F1y View Post
                                After growing up on the NES and SNES, I bought a PSX. Because I didn't own an N64 back in the mid to late 90's, I feel like I did miss out on some 1st party N64 classics.

However, I've begun playing through Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on an N64 emulator, and while it runs flawlessly... I just don't think it's that good, or at the very least, it's no where near as highly rated as I've seen it on several "Top 10" lists. I mean, I owned the original Legend of Zelda, The Adventure of Link, and Link to the Past and loved them all, but Ocarina of Time is just blah.

The big open world is "open" and boring. Compared to previous Zelda titles, this one feels very slow paced. Lots of running back and forth with the annoying day/night transitions. And while I get the point of Nintendo giving you Navi to give you hints, it's completely worthless. I mean, I just entered the Goron City and how the hell was I supposed to know I needed to play Saria's Song for the head guy there without looking at a walk through.

I don't know, it just seems very confusing to the point of frustration. Link to the Past was perfect. Lots of fast paced action, puzzles, short and sweet conversations with NPC's that told you what you had to do in a non-cryptic manner. Plus the camera is quite sucky and I get hit more using the targeting system than just hacking and slashing about.

So, my question is, should I continue to play through it? Does it get any better? After playing Wind Waker for a little bit, it feels completely different. WW feels fun and enjoyable. Ocarina of Time just feels like a chore.
                                I feel the same way as you. I just couldn't get into the 3D Zelda games. In my opinion they paled in comparison to "A Link to the Past".

I also didn't like it when they took the Mario games and went into 3D.
                                My Dealings

Comment

Originally posted by Pr3tty F1y View Post
                                  I mean, I just entered the Goron City and how the hell was I supposed to know I needed to play Saria's Song for the head guy there without looking at a walk through.
                                  You have to talk to the other people in the area (don't rely on Navi to give you all the hints). One of the other Gorons specifically mentions how he danced or hummed to "the music coming from the tunnel" (which can be heard in the tunnel blocked by boulders).

Btw, that is one of my favorite scenes from the game.
                                  Last edited by Koenig; Jul 25, 2009, 06:56 AM.
                                  Blah!

屁をひつて尻窄め "Breaking wind, closing buttocks" - Japanese Proverb

www.angelman.org
                                  www.cureangelman.org

Comment

Originally posted by Koenig View Post
                                    You have to talk to the other people in the area (don't rely on Navi to give you all the hints). One of the other Gorons specifically mentions how he danced or hummed to "the music coming from the tunnel" (which can be heard in the tunnel blocked by boulders).

Btw, that is one of my favorite scenes from the game.
                                    I figured as much. I just couldn't be arsed to run around and talk to each of those things. The game play just feels so sluggish. I mean to talk to the Gorons, it takes them like 2-3s just to get up and if you move the wrong way they sit back down. It's just not nearly as fun to me as Wind Waker.

I'm just going to throw in the towel. Wind Waker seems to have an exciting pace. OoT is just tedious to me. In LttP, I would clear out every room of enemies. in OoT I just run past them unless I have to kill them to open a door, because it's just a hassle.

I'm the type of person who likes to explore and in LttP and WW, exploration seems stepwise. They don't overload you with things your currently can't do. In OoT, it's linear gameplay in a non-linear environment and there's lots of ambiguous stuff. There are all kinds of things that you can see/get talked to about that you currently can't do. I mean, I like non-linear games like GTA IV, but I just feel like OoT makes you waste a lot of time with trial and error until you find out what your correct path should be.

I just don't think it's a game I'll every really like.

Comment

It's an awesome game. Gets really good when you become an adult and get to go to all the new dungeons. Spirit Temple is probably my favourite.
                                      Heat Ware

Comment

LoZ may not be the best of the series but it is no way terrible. Hell, for someone with your username and avatar I'm surprised you'd have that opinion.

Although I dont know how it appears to someone who didnt play it until the 2000s. Maybe the game is too dated for someone like you but being "dated" does not make it a bad game. Judge a game for the time it was released. Back in the mid-80's it was a phenomenal must have title. I even recently (within last 3 years) played it on Gameboy Advance and still had a blast.
                                        I chose my username back in the late 90s because I liked the dodongos in OoT. But when it came time to find an image, it was easier to pick the old NES version.

My problem with LoZ is that unless you know what to do some of the actions are preposterous. I watched some friends play it through and you needed to know very specific locations for bombs to get through certain areas. I think at one point the burned every bush on the screen while looking for a hidden cave. And didn't you have to buy keys?

I think a lot of old NES era games are terrible though, even the so called "classics". Metroid, for example, is horrible. The SNES incarnations of most NES classics are waaaaaaaay better games due to improved game design. There's just no way on earth LttP and Super Metroid aren't better games than LoZ and Metroid. A good game should be a good game whenever you play it, regardless of caveats.

I'd be interested in knowing what someone whose first Zelda experience was Twilight Princess thinks of OoT. For me, TP felt like a bland re-hash of OoT. I could recognize it as a good game but it lacked the spark of greatness that made OoT so endearing.

Comment

Oh man. You totally lost all credibility in now also thinking Metroid is horrible. That was one of the best games of that time.

Your complaints about having to search for bushes to burn or places to bomb sound to me like you just think the game's too hard. LoZ was full of secrets that you had to explore to discover. There was nothing cooler back then than finding a new secret.

And yeah, you could buy keys but it was never required. The dungeons always had all the keys you would need. The keys for sale were there for people who couldnt find them all.

Comment

I'd be interested in knowing what someone whose first Zelda experience was Twilight Princess thinks of OoT. For me, TP felt like a bland re-hash of OoT. I could recognize it as a good game but it lacked the spark of greatness that made OoT so endearing.
                                            I think that this may be the problem. Using Super Metroid as an example, I never had the original Metroid on the NES and have no desire to every play the full way through it; it just doesn't appeal to me. I did have the original Legend of Zelda and I would still pick it up, but LttP is just vastly better. I guess I see no spark of greatness in OoT because it doesn't fit in the context of other games I've played. I'm sure if I would have played it when it was released, I'd have a different opinion. I just doesn't feel like it has aged well.

Comment

OoT is my favorite game of all time. Classic.

Comment

Oh man. You totally lost all credibility in now also thinking Metroid is horrible. That was one of the best games of that time.

Your complaints about having to search for bushes to burn or places to bomb sound to me like you just think the game's too hard. LoZ was full of secrets that you had to explore to discover. There was nothing cooler back then than finding a new secret.

And yeah, you could buy keys but it was never required. The dungeons always had all the keys you would need. The keys for sale were there for people who couldnt find them all.
                                                It's the "of that time" that I have an issue with. I'm not disregarding the significance and importance of those games to the history of gaming. But the debate on whether it's a "good" game shouldn't need to come down to perspective.

I've been watching a lot of movies lately, including some ones that are well over 40 years old. And guess what, not all of them are so great, especially ones that rely heavily on special effects, such as Flash Gordon. Yet I can watch an old black and white film like Some Like It Hot, laugh my ass off, and see that's it's a great movie.

Music is probably a better example. The Beatles are just as listenable today as they've ever been. Same with Michael Jackson, Rolling Stones, etc. People are constantly rediscovering the classics.

I shouldn't need to have on rose tinted glasses to appreciate an old game. Either it is still good today or it's not, regardless of historical significance. The game industry and game design has radically changed since those early days and almost always for the better.

Comment

Don't forget that technology gets better with time and Games unlike movies and music depends on technology. Zelda OOT came out when 3D was new and was limited. Todays technology is so much better that the simple things in OOT that was slow is now much smoother and faster. For example look at Twilight Princess which corrects a lot of wrong from the OOT engine because of the gamecube/wii tech and advancment in 3D.

Comment

While I enjoyed OoT, I had much more fun with LTTP. Maybe its because of my age or something, but I recall having a lot more fun with the SNES generation of video games than the N64 and onward. I agree that the OoT overworld is sparse and tedious, though I found the same while sailing the never-ending seas in TWW, and still haven't gotten around to finishing that one. IMO, TP was more enjoyable. The dungeons in OoT were challenging and definitely the best part of the game for me.
                                                    My world is a world of concepts and principles, not a battlefield - "war" is simply the wrong metaphor for where I'm coming from.

Comment

It's the "of that time" that I have an issue with. I'm not disregarding the significance and importance of those games to the history of gaming. But the debate on whether it's a "good" game shouldn't need to come down to perspective.

I've been watching a lot of movies lately, including some ones that are well over 40 years old. And guess what, not all of them are so great, especially ones that rely heavily on special effects, such as Flash Gordon. Yet I can watch an old black and white film like Some Like It Hot, laugh my ass off, and see that's it's a great movie.

Music is probably a better example. The Beatles are just as listenable today as they've ever been. Same with Michael Jackson, Rolling Stones, etc. People are constantly rediscovering the classics.

I shouldn't need to have on rose tinted glasses to appreciate an old game. Either it is still good today or it's not, regardless of historical significance. The game industry and game design has radically changed since those early days and almost always for the better.
                                                      I see the point you're trying to make, but I dont think the analogies are 100% comparable. Could you say the same about an old time professional sports player? Most that were considered great may not be able to compete
                                                      with the finely tuned athletic players of today, yet we still consider them great. You most certainly have to judge something in it's own time. That's one analogy that might work.

Old game design was definitely limited by the technology, and to see what the developers did with that limited tech is just awesome. It is totally unfair to compare old games with new, when devs of today have many more tools at hand to make their game design visions a reality.

By your way of thinking, in 15-20 years from now you'll look back at the games you think are great today, and decide they actually werent so great. I think it's definitely applicable to say those games were great of that time.

Not to mention, those old games that I would consider cream of the crop I'll still play on emulators once in a while and they are still as fun today as years ago. If you didnt have fun with them years ago, well then that's another story and comes down to opinion. But if you loved them back then but do not now, then you simply view them as dated.

Comment

A classic without question. Has to be my all time favorite.

Comment

I LOVED OoT. One of the best games EVER made, IMO. I could play it over and over.
                                                          Originally posted by IamHere
                                                          You guys are closet communists.

Comment

Originally posted by Elysian View Post
                                                            I LOVED OoT. One of the best games EVER made, IMO. I could play it over and over.
                                                            Almost all of my most favorite games are on the N64 and OoT is at the top of that list.
                                                            Currently Playing: Everything

To Play List: Everything else

Comment

Twilight Princess is far better than Ocarina of Time, if you judge them based on game design and interface. But that's because they've had a lot of time to improve on it. OoT was amazing for its time as one of the first 3D action adventure games.

Video games are still a relatively new art form, so it often takes rose colored glasses to appreciate classics, because designers are still learning what works. Or at least they were ten years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by TenFour View Post
                                                                Or at least they were ten years ago.
                                                                When most developers weren't corporations built around cranking out a sequel as fast as they can for the dough.

Though nintendo has mostly kept away from that, I tend to have the assumption that the older games have more integrity.

Comment

Dunno about integrity.... more originality perhaps, at least when considering the later Zeldas (like TP) as compared to OoT.
                                                                  My world is a world of concepts and principles, not a battlefield - "war" is simply the wrong metaphor for where I'm coming from.

Comment

Working...
                                                                  X