Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soulcalibur IV, worth picking up for $20?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soulcalibur IV, worth picking up for $20?

I have tons of shooters in my PS3 but lack fighting games. Recently Soulcalibur IV priced dropped to $20 and I am thinking of picking it up. My question is if it is worth it, keeping in mind that Marval Vs Capcom 2 and King of Fighters XII are just around the corner and Tekkan 6 is coming in October.

The positives I heard:

-Good graphics
    -Decent game play
    -Online play
    -Darth Vador

The negatives I heard:
    -gets repetitive real fast
    -characters are very similar to each other. A character change is more like a skin change than anything else.
    -story mode sucks and lacks many gaming modes that were in Soulcalibur III

Please advise. Thanks.
    Yes pick it up.
    0%
    No don't bother.
    0%
    Athlon II X4 635 2.9Ghz / HIS HD6850 1G DDR5 / Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H / G.Skill Ripjaws 4X2Gb DDR3 1666mhz
    Playstation 3 40G / Resistance 1 / Silent Hill: Homecoming / Dead Space

"Humans in general are very self-interested, while expecting all other humans around them to be selfless."
    "Sometimes, it is not about whatever you can do something or not. It is about, if you cannot do it, who else can?"
    "A difficult task might stop you from getting it done. But it cannot stop you from trying your best."
    "Who you hang out with is who you will become" "Do not act on feelings, but act on facts"
    "It does not matter how other people sees you. What matters is how you see yourself." "Some pains are sharp, but short. Some pains are dull, but long."
    "I killed you ten times with my knife and you killed me 13 times with a gun so I pwned you!" -Crawdaddy79
    "Gorgeous white girls everywhere with that "I'M SOOO HOT AND YOU CAN'T HAVE ME" bullsh** attitude" -gts007
    "If you wasn't in my way, I wouldn't have shot you" -Kamille Bidan, Zeta Gundam
    "It is easy to give up. Anyone can do it. But I choose the hard path." -Beyond
    "If women can't compete with video games for our attention its their problem, not ours." -sumpwa

Great game and must pick up. There is tons of stuff to do in it also (both single player and multiplayer). Great online and still a community for the Xbox 360 atleast. Would advise picking up Street Fighter IV if you really want a gem of a fighting game.

SF IV > SC IV but both are great games and I have spent countless hours on them.

Comment

Its not very good and the graphics are not that impressive given the leap in tech the game has available to it.

The combat is not very good and you will actually find SC on the dreamcast a better game !

Yes I did not like this game, and looking at Tekken 6, it looks ass. Both graphically and artistically. It is like Namco Bandai are not even trying.

So yeah, check out them other fighters and Blazblu as well.

D.

Comment

I'm not a big fighting game fan but I picked it up when it came out. Its got some pretty good characters. I don't know what Debonair is talking about the graphics looked good.

Comment

It's alright, but not as good as SC2 was. I recently sold my SC4 copy, mostly because I had no one to play with, and online sucked.
          My Dealings

Comment

It rocks, If you loved the previous ones, You'll love this one. Get it!
            PC Gaming, Technology, My Life.
            "Whats the point in my honesty, If all I get in return is lies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Debonair View Post
              Its not very good and the graphics are not that impressive given the leap in tech the game has available to it.

The combat is not very good and you will actually find SC on the dreamcast a better game !

Yes I did not like this game, and looking at Tekken 6, it looks ass. Both graphically and artistically. It is like Namco Bandai are not even trying.

D.
              I do agree that SC DC was the best so far. The only one i don't own is 3 and other then when my daughters little brothers want to play as Vader or Yoda, the DC one gets played the most.
              However the graphics are pretty good, its just that there not that far apart from the DC game and that's mostly because that one was so damn pretty for its time.

Comment

Thanks for the inputs guys. I hasn't played the series since Soul Edge. I was more of a King of Fighters guy back then. I am getting some mixed opinions here. I guess overall it is a decent game that is worth picking up for a low price.

How hard is it to find an online game on the PS3 version? Is the community really that "dead"?
                Athlon II X4 635 2.9Ghz / HIS HD6850 1G DDR5 / Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H / G.Skill Ripjaws 4X2Gb DDR3 1666mhz
                Playstation 3 40G / Resistance 1 / Silent Hill: Homecoming / Dead Space

"Humans in general are very self-interested, while expecting all other humans around them to be selfless."
                "Sometimes, it is not about whatever you can do something or not. It is about, if you cannot do it, who else can?"
                "A difficult task might stop you from getting it done. But it cannot stop you from trying your best."
                "Who you hang out with is who you will become" "Do not act on feelings, but act on facts"
                "It does not matter how other people sees you. What matters is how you see yourself." "Some pains are sharp, but short. Some pains are dull, but long."
                "I killed you ten times with my knife and you killed me 13 times with a gun so I pwned you!" -Crawdaddy79
                "Gorgeous white girls everywhere with that "I'M SOOO HOT AND YOU CAN'T HAVE ME" bullsh** attitude" -gts007
                "If you wasn't in my way, I wouldn't have shot you" -Kamille Bidan, Zeta Gundam
                "It is easy to give up. Anyone can do it. But I choose the hard path." -Beyond
                "If women can't compete with video games for our attention its their problem, not ours." -sumpwa

Comment

Originally posted by CHIPS View Post
                  Thanks for the inputs guys. I hasn't played the series since Soul Edge. I was more of a King of Fighters guy back then. I am getting some mixed opinions here. I guess overall it is a decent game that is worth picking up for a low price.

How hard is it to find an online game on the PS3 version? Is the community really that "dead"?
                  Its fine for the Xbox 360 version atleast. I would still say go for Street Fighter IV, ****load of guys playing that game and ****load of fun to be had with it

I was checking my game records and I've spent 60+ hours on this game already. Need to play more online matches

Comment

That's an awesome deal on it, got it when it was $60. I can't comment about the PS3 online community as I have it for 360. As for the best SC, I own all but 3, and I think that 2 is the best, it's main flaw was the introduction of Raphael. SC1 > SC4. I miss the Edge Master Mode or whatever it was from SC2. All those crazy ass fights, like 1 hit you die, etc. Online multiplayer is cool if it's not laggy. Hm... where's Inferno these days?

Comment

Originally posted by Debonair View Post

D.
                      Based on what I've seen on Tekken 6, the texture quality does not look as good as SC4 at this point. Given the leap as you said in tech, Tekken 6 looks worse at the moment. Unless you are looking at something different what's out there at the moment does not look better.

At $20 it's a no brainer if one likes a good fighter.
                      system spec: DA-GOODS
                      FX [email protected] , 8GB X4 crucial 1666, X-Fire Radeon 7970 3GB X2, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX r2.0, 2x Samsung 830 128GB (boot drive) 2X 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows 8 Pro.

system spec: HYPER-V
                      Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2

Comment

Soul Caliber IV is pretty fun, for the 360 you got Yoda, the PS3 got Vader. Yoda just seems like the more fun character, bouncing around, rather than the death tank.

Street Fighter is Street Fighter, it's a 2D SideFighter. Soul Caliber is a 3D Fighter, two different styles of games. I always preferred Mortal Kombat, back in the day, before their were all the SF rehashes, and MK went to crap.

But in summary :

Virtua Fighter > *

/thread.

"Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only that the cat died nobly." - Arnold Edinborough

Heatware

Comment

$20 is a very good price for that game, and the game play is very decent. Sadly though, I was not impressed with the graphics of SC4 vs. SC2 for Xbox1.

I'd say grab it, if nothing else it's fun to play when friends come over.

Comment

Originally posted by gamefoo21 View Post
                            ...I always preferred Mortal Kombat, back in the day, before their were all the SF rehashes, and MK went to crap.
                            If you haven't already done so, get MK Armageddon. It's probably the best in the series, and I continue to put many hours into it. I love the ability to build your own fighter, and the list of included fighters can not be matched by any other game.

Another decent one that took some to grow on me is Capcom vs SNK 2. I definitely recommend picking this up.

Comment

Street Fighter IV is supposed to be $20.00 new at Gamestop right now if you would rather play it.

Comment

Working...
                              X