Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xbox 360 losing it in 2009, are they winding down ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wc326 View Post
    Sony's PS3 A Sinking Ship: Sales Plummet ^^

So why is the PS3 flopping so badly?

FROM CNN

i hope he knows a thing about console and games, and the deiffernces between blu = ray and dvd are hard to see????? even my 70 years old grandma can see huge difference ahah
    Already posted this link on this page above....

A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Comment

i hope he knows a thing about console and games, and the deiffernces between blu = ray and dvd are hard to see????? even my 70 years old grandma can see huge difference ahah
      The problem with BR is not that the average user can't see the difference, the problem is that, for most users, DVD is "good enough".

The average user doesn't care that much about quality. VHS x Betamax? MP3 x AAC/WMA/FLAC/<insert superior format here>? The same thing applies to BR x DVD.

If you look at the history, almost all formats that only had "improved quality" as an advantage failed. The successful ones where those that brought other improvements, such as better portability, durability, improved usability, extra content, and so on.

[]s Badaro
      Backloggery
      Tales Collection
      Super Robot Taisen Collection

Comment

Sony's PS3 A Sinking Ship: Sales Plummet ^^

So why is the PS3 flopping so badly?

FROM CNN

I agree, but sadly most people are in the "can't tell the difference" category. One of the vendors to my store swears Blu-Ray looks the same as DVD on his 60" TV and that he only bought it for the improved sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemon View Post
          I agree, but sadly most people are in the "can't tell the difference" category. One of the vendors to my store swears Blu-Ray looks the same as DVD on his 60" TV and that he only bought it for the improved sound.
          I'm sorry, but most people are ****ing blind.

Comment

Originally posted by pahncrd View Post
            I'm sorry, but most people are ****ing blind.
            BLU RAY is clearer than watching the movie in threater.. maybe thats just me
            of course then u might need a very good lcd tv
            CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png

Comment

BLU RAY is clearer than watching the movie in threater.. maybe thats just me
              of course then u might need a very good lcd tv
              When someone says they can't tell the difference, they aren't looking at BR vs DVD side by side because there is a CLEAR and discernible difference. Also, you have to consider if they have seen BR on a TV that does not support 1080p, that can also cloud their opinions. The only other factor could be they have less than 20/20 or compromised eyesight.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemon View Post
                The funny thing there is if your familiar with the movie the improved sound stands out really well, however if your not use to the standard dvd sound of the movie you can tell its better then normal but on most movies you dont know you dont really notice it that much because youve never not heard it, or mabee I'm just use to it. (the more i think about it i guess it could be the latter because it's almost always easy to tell its better then the theater)

On the other hand for me at least its hard to watch movies on DVD now that I'm use to BD. It's so bad I even bought an xtra computer and upgraded the PSU, video card and sound card just for watching DVD's. Unfortunatly though the 8800 doesnt look quite as good on a 61" 1080p as it did on the 32" 720p I watched them on in my bedroom when the 8800's were in my main rig. That coupled with the inconvenience of having to boot up the computer just for movies and the fact the video played ahead of the sound and i never invested the time I should have in finding a solution for it now leaves that computer collecting dust.
                The PS3 didn't look that good IMO on most dvd's so I tried that stupid XDE player and on some movies with all the improvements turned off (film based mostly) it looked really good yet on others (video based) it looked horrid. Turning the improvements on made any and all movies look awfull. Also in the short time i owned this player I realised that I didnt like having to use a seperate player for BD and DVD so I bought a bdp-2550 for this purpose thanks to the revies that it got given the reon hqv chip. This player is the best solution i have found so far and so long as the sharpness and noise reduction are both turned off it gives a picture i can stand to watch on all movies, however on some angles (mostly ears and noses turned just the right way) I see jagged edges that can drive me nuts. All this and prior to having a BD player I was happy with my old 1080i upconvert player from way back when they first started comming out.

On a side note the other day I came home and my daughter was playing smallville on the PS3 and I thaught it looked a lot better then what I had seen in the past so mabee they improved it some.

Comment

Haha, what is this guy talking about ..

The 360 just keeps getting better and better games, part of the reason I purchased one -- best purchase I've made in a long time. I simply got sick of the constantly having to upgrade my PC (and well, I bought a nice laptop that I use as my main machine, you can't really upgrade this thing).

The 360 cost me less than my every-two-years video card upgrade, and well, I'll keep buying games as long as they keep coming out with good titles. Just picked up GoW2, PoP + Dead Space.

Comment

I don't think it's that people can't tell the difference, it's just that to adopt blu-ray one has to outlay the cash for a new TV if they want the full visual benefit so it's not just the cost of the player that matters like the upgrade from VHS to DVD.

TV's are not like computer equipment. People buy them and keep them for a very long time like major appliances.

I know if I just purchased a set even a 720p/1080i set a couple years ago, I say "F*#k you" to the format until my next TV which would be well into the future.

There is nothing with any Hi-def format right now that makes me scream to go and spend thousands on a new setup just because it's the latest thing. While it looks better, it is not "that" much better.
                    system spec: DA-GOODS
                    FX [email protected] , 8GB X4 crucial 1666, X-Fire Radeon 7970 3GB X2, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX r2.0, 2x Samsung 830 128GB (boot drive) 2X 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows 8 Pro.

system spec: HYPER-V
                    Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2

Comment

Originally posted by mabran View Post
                      I don't think it's that people can't tell the difference, it's just that to adopt blu-ray one has to outlay the cash for a new TV if they want the full visual benefit so it's not just the cost of the player that matters like the upgrade from VHS to DVD.

TV's are not like computer equipment. People buy them and keep them for a very long time like major appliances.

I know if I just purchased a set even a 720p/1080i set a couple years ago, I say "F*#k you" to the format until my next TV which would be well into the future.

There is nothing with any Hi-def format right now that makes me scream to go and spend thousands on a new setup just because it's the latest thing. While it looks better, it is not "that" much better.
                      I think bluray and hd is one of these things that alot of people have on their long-term purchase list. But they have to wait until they have money they can justify spending, and the hd revolution is definitely seen as a want, not a need. Especially now that the economy is down, people are hunkering down.

As for me, I'll end up buying a PS3 for a bluray player when I upgrade to an hd projector (mine's only 480p), but that has to wait until after I graduate next year and settle down and have some cash on hand. Not to mention that my wife's never gonna let me buy crap until I get my brand new $60k student loan under control.
                      Originally posted by KAC
                      To be honest I never even found doom 3 to be scary since I have a big dick since birth.

Ryzen 5 5600x - radeon 6700xt - 32 gigs memory

Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
                      Sega: Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
                      Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
                      Microsoft: og xbox, xbox360, xbone, series 3
                      Atari: Atari 2600, 7800
                      Neo Geo: Neo Geo Pocket Color
                      Other: Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex

riva tnt
                      tnt2
                      geforce2mx
                      kyro 2
                      radeon 8500
                      radeon 9600
                      radeon 9800pro
                      radeon x800pro
                      geforce 8800gtx
                      radeon 6850
                      radeon 280
                      radeon 580
                      radeon 6700xt

Comment

Originally posted by SubCog View Post
                        I think bluray and hd is one of these things that alot of people have on their long-term purchase list. But they have to wait until they have money they can justify spending, and the hd revolution is definitely seen as a want, not a need. Especially now that the economy is down, people are hunkering down.

As for me, I'll end up buying a PS3 for a bluray player when I upgrade to an hd projector (mine's only 480p), but that has to wait until after I graduate next year and settle down and have some cash on hand. Not to mention that my wife's never gonna let me buy crap until I get my brand new $60k student loan under control.
                        Well I got my first HDTV in 2000 which was a 57 inch Toshiba theatrewide which still produces a terrific picture even today but is limited to 1080i. I also have a 50 inch Samsung DLP that has an even better picture.

Having these two HD sets, and a PS3 for blu-ray I still find little need to go spend more on the movies since I stream from a media center PC anyway. While Blu-Ray and now dead HD-DVD look better than DVD It is not enough to pay the difference as I am not going to re-purchase my entire collection (which is what they hope everyone will do) and I am not willing at this point to fully embrace Blu-Ray as other than PS3 is struggling to sell players. I am in a wait and see pattern before fully adopting the format for my collection.
                        system spec: DA-GOODS
                        FX [email protected] , 8GB X4 crucial 1666, X-Fire Radeon 7970 3GB X2, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX r2.0, 2x Samsung 830 128GB (boot drive) 2X 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows 8 Pro.

system spec: HYPER-V
                        Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2

Comment

Working...
                        X