No announcement yet.

Nocd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Ely, question for you. Your target is 400hp at the wheel, and what is the vehicle expected total weight? Also targeted torq?
    If you feel like I'm hurting your wittle feelings too much, refer me to this thread : A new nicer moshpit???
    "Go screw yourself Apple."

Comment

Originally posted by moshpit View Post
      Hey Ely, question for you. Your target is 400hp at the wheel, and what is the vehicle expected total weight? Also targeted torq?
      2000lb is target, torque will likely be around the same as hp.
      Originally posted by IamHere
      You guys are closet communists.

Comment

Why would you bother with a scraper if you already have a full windage tray?
        Once I used to have a life - then I bought a PC

Comment

Originally posted by cmar View Post
          I'm trying to wrap my head around that myself... I'm assuming the cranker is made so that it's close enough to the crank that it'll catch some of the oil, but I'm also assuming the crank isn't going to be completely coated in oil head to toe, so it's really hard for me to understand what benefit's it's going to have...

Comment

it's just to keep the oil in the pan rather than sloshing all over the cranks and frothing up. definitely good to have something there, but what's there standard seems fine.

Comment

Originally posted by cmar View Post
              Windage trays help, but like many OEM things they are a compromise. The scraper actually sticks itself out into the crank swing area to effectively shave the cloud of oil that builds around the crank.

That tray is to limit oil fly back/up to limit the amount that can build up around the crank. The problem with this design is, that when adding dedicated piston squirters it does nothing with that new constant supply. The scraper then really presents it's benefits as it redirects most of that new oil down into the pan.

It's not difficult to grasp...
              "Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only that the cat died nobly." - Arnold Edinborough

Heatware

Comment

I may be picking up another E30 as a daily. Going to look at an 85 325i on Wednesday. It's cheap, but supposedly in great shape(and looks great from the 1 pic), the reason it's cheap is because it's stuck in 5th gear, meaning trans would need to be changed. This is no problem for me, as I've got a spare trans already that will swap right in.

Comment

just don't turn into a E30-is-best-car-ever-and-everything-else-sucks fanboy, like a certain banned member

Comment

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1518764

Going to check this out tomorrow afternoon, its the type of car you just don't pass up for the price.

Comment

Thread-necro.

Purchased the brake booster I'll need for the engine swap (have to use one from an AWD 325iX since it's smaller diameter but same volume). Need to figure out which engine mounts I'll need (whether I need E30 mounts or E46) and then I'll purchase those and trans mounts, urethane of course.

Comment

Did BMW reimburse you anything for the totaled 330?

Comment

Originally posted by Och View Post
                          Did BMW reimburse you anything for the totaled 330?
                          No.

Comment

So then the class action suit led to nowhere?

Comment

Urethane engine mounts, trans mounts and aluminum/urethane flex disc ordered. The flex disc allows me to use the E30's stock driveshaft with the E46 transmission, also reduces loss from the stock rubber flex disc.

Comment

New brake booster got in today

Comment

Just measured the original throttlebody I pulled from the E46 versus the throttlebody I'll be using for the swap (OEM is electronically controlled, the one I'm using is mechanical). The old TB was just a hair under 70mm, the one going in is just a hair over 65mm, so losing 4mm in the TB... Won't really adversely effect it for now but I may want to go with a larger bore TB when I go forced induction.

Comment

Just came across this thread. Very inspiring. I have a 2001 750IL that I have had in storage for a quite some time. I bought it to to clean it up some and make some minor modifications. I have always loved that car, so far it's been nothing but a repair bill lol (by no means a cheap one). Currently runs fine no problems might actually get around to get it into the beast I've always wanted.
                                    Under construction

Comment

My goodies pile continues to grow.

Comment

Squeak squeak squeekidy squeak

You'll know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Och View Post
                                          Squeak squeak squeekidy squeak

You'll know what I mean.
                                          You're thinking control arm bushings. I already run urethane engine, trans and rear subframe mounts in the E24, not a single squeek.

Comment

Started pulling more of the interior out, will help get to the brake booster. I'm going to be replacing my dash and building custom gauges and such. Need to pull the carpet and also need to figure out where water is getting into my car... I'm guessing the sunroof...

Comment

Since my budget is so shot I decided to look at my Megasquirt breakout box. I wasn't happy with wiring directly to the terminals so I picked up a piece of predrilled circuit board and attached it to the stock M54's DME plug:

I think this will be a lot more solid than how I was previously doing it. It's not pretty but it will work.

Comment

5 years later Car resides in my back yard for now. I just purchased the parts to swap in a Ford 302 V8, and a hydroboost brake booster setup from an E23 7 series. Now to find the engine/trans...

Comment

Got the motor/trans mount adapters in, as well as a CD with instructions/info

Comment

Have you checked the diff mount sheet metal? They are prone to cracking...

Comment

Originally posted by MasterGoa View Post
                                                      Have you checked the diff mount sheet metal? They are prone to cracking...
                                                      Car is in great shape, I've been everywhere inside of it

I ordered front/rear subframe reinforcement this morning though, a V8 putting so much torque on an old tiny car is a recipe for trouble. Also started compiling my current list of wants.

Comment

I'm picking a 302 right now from the junkyard. Had a choice between a 97 with 183k or a 99 with the heads I don't want and unknown mileage... Going to take the 99. Engine is cleaner, other one had oil leak issues and who knows what else.

Comment

Got most everything disconnected, but ran out of time. Someone had the chains for the engine hoist, and didn't turn them in until a half hour before LKQ closed.
                                                          Last edited by Elysian; Apr 14, 2017, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Just got the engine home. Hell of a day, worked way too hard in the sun, nearly got heat stroke I think. I'm leaving the engine in the truck bed overnight. I'll take it out tomorrow.

Comment

Started getting the 5 lug swap parts in order. I already have two right front hubs, so ordered a left. I've got a local junkyard that has the rear parts, just waiting to hear back on how much it will cost. Need to do the 5 lug swap so I can put some decent wheels on it, that way I can move it out of the back yard and the city and HOA won't be all over me.

Comment

Found a 318ti at a local junkyard, asked them to pull the left and right arms for me for my 5 lug swap. They gave me the whole rear end minus different and axles.

Comment

E36 front control arms ordered.

Comment

Going to go check out an E36 M3 being parted out after work, probably going to take the steering rack, springs, rear diff, brakes, and maybe other stuff, just need to figure out what.

Comment

Got what I feel is a great deal today. 60k 99 M3 rear diff, the front rotors/hubs/calipers/springs/struts, all for $600. I needed a dual ear diff cover and a limited slip anyways, so I'll be combining the M3 parts with the 3.46 open diff I've got in the garage. I've not done differential work before, so I've got a lot of studying up to do before I attempt it. So tomorrow I'll have the last parts I need for the 5 lug swap, that being the two control arms and offset bushings. I love that I'm finally able to buy all the parts I've needed for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Elysian View Post
                                                                        I'll be combining the M3 parts with the 3.46 open diff I've got in the garage. I've not done differential work before, so I've got a lot of studying up to do before I attempt it. So tomorrow I'll have the last parts I need for the 5 lug swap, that being the two control arms and offset bushings. I love that I'm finally able to buy all the parts I've needed for years.
                                                                        Is something wrong with the stock 3.23 M3 Diff? Or you just want the superior powerband that comes with the shorter 3.46 gears?

Seems like a good compromise in performance, but worth the hassle? I guess if you are a good mechanic. I have a 3.38 LSD in my 328is [from an automatic M3]. Just a tad better performance than the more common 3.23 LSD.

Comment

Originally posted by Quickstrike View Post
                                                                          Is something wrong with the stock 3.23 M3 Diff? Or you just want the superior powerband that comes with the shorter 3.46 gears?

Seems like a good compromise in performance, but worth the hassle? I guess if you are a good mechanic. I have a 3.38 LSD in my 328is [from an automatic M3]. Just a tad better performance than the more common 3.23 LSD.
                                                                          I need a limited slip, and the M3 differential won't physically fit in the E30 subframe. Nothing is wrong with either, the M3 differential just fits into my plans. I'm not going to change the gearing on the limited slip, just the housing around it.

Comment

I need a limited slip, and the M3 differential won't physically fit in the E30 subframe. Nothing is wrong with either, the M3 differential just fits into my plans. I'm not going to change the gearing on the limited slip, just the housing around it.
                                                                            Ahh ****. Forgot you had an E30.. obviously thought it was an E36.
                                                                            Makes sense.

Comment

Also, I'll be honest I'm not sure the gear ratio on the diff right now I have no idea if it came out of a manual or auto, only know it came out of a 99. I'll check it when I get home today, just put some tape on there and see how many turns it takes to turn the axle once.

Comment

Also, I'll be honest I'm not sure the gear ratio on the diff right now I have no idea if it came out of a manual or auto, only know it came out of a 99.
                                                                                Can you call the place or person you bought it from? That is one thing that most people would notice when parting out a car, if it has manual tranny or auto.

Comment

Originally posted by Quickstrike View Post
                                                                                  Can you call the place or person you bought it from? That is one thing that most people would notice when parting out a car, if it has manual tranny or auto.
                                                                                  I'd rather just check it, it's no more trouble than making a call.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  X