X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Return Rates: HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray

Over at AVSFORUM, the largest Home Theater enthusiast site on the internet:

RETURN RATE IS BOLDED FOR EACH FORMAT

Did you decide to keep your HD-DVD player? (240 responses)
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=696555
    3% - No, I returned it
    97% - I am very satisfied with the HD-A1/XA-1/HDV5000 and keeping it

Did you decide to keep your Blu-Ray player? (225 responses)
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=690621
    77% - No, I returned it
    23% - Yes I'm going to keep it

Man, it looks like the manufacturers really picked the wrong horse to back for this race!

Originally posted by tranCendenZ
    Over at AVSFORUM, the largest Home Theater enthusiast site on the internet:

RETURN RATE IS BOLDED FOR EACH FORMAT

Did you decide to keep your HD-DVD player? (240 responses)
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=696555
    3% - No, I returned it
    97% - I am very satisfied with the HD-A1/XA-1/HDV5000 and keeping it

Did you decide to keep your Blu-Ray player? (225 responses)
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=690621
    77% - No, I returned it
    23% - Yes I'm going to keep it

Man, it looks like the manufacturers really picked the wrong horse to back for this race!
    did you bring your flamesuit. The forecast says a heatwave should be rolling through.
    The Core Value: Non-Aggression :(

Originally posted by HyperNovae
    Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.

Comment

I actually dont mind this poster, posting all the anti blu-ray information.

For me, the quicker one format has dominance over the other, the quicker and cheaper I can burn at 30/40/50gb format, on the pc.

Plus the hd-dvd films go down in price with the 2nd gen players

I hope even with PS3, blu-ray goes down the tubes. Maybe in the next incarnation of standards. Sony will get it right! (doubt it tho)

Comment

Originally posted by demonic
        I actually dont mind this poster, posting all the anti blu-ray information.

For me, the quicker one format has dominance over the other, the quicker and cheaper I can burn at 30/40/50gb format, on the pc.

Plus the hd-dvd films go down in price with the 2nd gen players

I hope even with PS3, blu-ray goes down the tubes. Maybe in the next incarnation of standards. Sony will get it right! (doubt it tho)
        QFT having studios split in two is a pain in the arse. That and HD-DVD has the upper hand atm in quality, and half the price.

Plus i love my toshiba HD-A1 , such a nicely built player. That and the amazing film quality does help
        Fantards the scourge of the universe:

Comment

Can't wait until one finally wins the war. Whenever you have competition in something you always get fanboys.

Comment

Its still too early to choose sides. Besides, the only thing working against BD right now is the software. That should improve with time whenever they get the 50gb discs out and/or start using VC1.

Comment

Originally posted by HybridHB
              Its still too early to choose sides. Besides, the only thing working against BD right now is the software. That should improve with time whenever they get the 50gb discs out and/or start using VC1.
              You forgot the price too, would you pay 2x the amount for currently less picture quality. Then soon it will match HD-DVD but still cost 2x as much

Comment

Its not always going to cost that much. Toshiba is losing money on their $500 player too. Im not on either side but all this BD bashing based on 1st gen software and hardware is just retarded.

Comment

Its not always going to cost that much. Toshiba is losing money on their $500 player too. Im not on either side but all this BD bashing based on 1st gen software and hardware is just retarded.
                  They wont change the price anytime soon, and it's obvious that we bash something on it's 1st gen. You don't release something that costs twice as much as the competitor and release lesser quality titles .

The consumer dosen't give a crap that toshiba apparently loose money on the player. All they see is HD-DVD is cheaper so they buy it.

HD-DVD brought some quality titles out, so why can't sony? If all they can do is use the worst codec and 25gb discs then they would of been better off just waiting till they had a good yield of 50gb discs. At least that way they could of done the 1st gen films properly.

A bad start to a consumer war is not good for business. Once you tarnish your image of being superior, it will spread when they tell there friends or show there friends how badly it is.

I was a pro Blu-Ray supporter before HD-DVD came out, then i saw how crap blu-ray was and just got a HD-DVD player.

Comment

QFT. I don't care who wins out, but this bashing is stupid.
                    Digital Sox, my blog

If destiny's kind, I've got the rest of my life...

Personalized Said53 Quote:
                    Thanks bro you bather start leaft that iron agen to keep some noob out from you self and look mucho for girls :)

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Legs
                      QFT. I don't care who wins out, but this bashing is stupid.
                      /sigh

I just take it you people like buying crap products, for twice the price?

Didn't think so, i'll wait to Blu-Ray "actually" get's released.

OH and i care, because 2 competitors in a film market is the most retarded thing ever. There needs to be one, and one only. Don't care who it is as long as it's just one and fairly soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Baron
                        HD-DVD brought some quality titles out, so why can't sony? If all they can do is use the worst codec and 25gb discs then they would of been better off just waiting till they had a good yield of 50gb discs. At least that way they could of done the 1st gen films properly.
                        This is the thing, whats to stop HD-DVD bringing out 50gb discs for the 2nd gen?

Does anyone know if they too are working on increasing their format? Would be an even better way to put another nail in Sony's coffin

Comment

This is the thing, whats to stop HD-DVD bringing out 50gb discs for the 2nd gen?

Does anyone know if they too are working on increasing their format? Would be an even better way to put another nail in Sony's coffin
                          Movie players won't play anything beyond what the specs are for the disc which is DL 30GB.

Comment

They where working on 45gb triple layer discs, and NEC said the current players drives could be flashed to work with them. However toshiba as far as i rememeber said they don't plan to release them.

30gb VC1 is pretty much good enough, especially seeing as sony is so concerned with using Mpeg2 which pretty much destroys any space advantage they have.

Comment

i'm not really and HD-DVD fanboy.
                              I do prefer it. But if Fox exclusivly releases the seasons of 24 on Blu-ray. Then i'll be getting a ps3

HOWEVER, I'd have to get an HDTV first. or use my computer monitor if possible.

Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.

Comment

They where working on 45gb triple layer discs, and NEC said the current players drives could be flashed to work with them. However toshiba as far as i rememeber said they don't plan to release them.

30gb VC1 is pretty much good enough, especially seeing as sony is so concerned with using Mpeg2 which pretty much destroys any space advantage they have.
                                how do you flash a player you own already? hmmm

unless it's provided on the disc

I'l lleave my comment here for shits and giggles.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyrax
                                  how do you flash a player you own already? hmmm

unless it's provided on the disc

I'l lleave my comment here for shits and giggles.
                                  Well you do update the firmware of the player it self by connecting it to the internet. If no internet is available you phone toshiba, and they send you a disc with the upgrade on.

However from what i read they have no intentions of even doing 45gb discs. However what companies tell us and what they actually do are 2 different things

Comment

/sigh

Didn't think so, i'll wait to Blu-Ray "actually" get's released.

OH and i care, because 2 competitors in a film market is the most retarded thing ever. There needs to be one, and one only. Don't care who it is as long as it's just one and fairly soon.

My point is that the 1st gen products do not represent the technologies potential. If you look at both technologies on paper, BD is superior. They both support the same video codecs, and has more capacity. It will take time to get there (hopefully not too long), but it eventually will. Once that happens, consumers will be left with 2 formats with comparable PQ, except 1 side will have more studio and mfg support. We all know software sells hardware too.

Comment

except 1 side will have more studio and mfg support.
                                      Oh and a much higher price. Don't forget that.
                                      What's wrong with you people? They're dead... and you wan't to teach them tricks? - Captain Rhodes

Comment

We have already covered the price issue.

Comment

/sigh

Blu-ray players are not always going to cost twice that of HD-DVD players and the next iteration (or yet to be released) players will be better than the currently available Samsung player.

Did you honestly think that Blu-ray would always cost twice as much and that no one would make any improvements over the Samsung?

My point is that the 1st gen products do not represent the technologies potential. If you look at both technologies on paper, BD is superior. They both support the same video codecs, and has more capacity. It will take time to get there (hopefully not too long), but it eventually will. Once that happens, consumers will be left with 2 formats with comparable PQ, except 1 side will have more studio and mfg support. We all know software sells hardware too.
                                          Amen. At least somebody understands the game.
                                          Digital Sox, my blog

If destiny's kind, I've got the rest of my life...

Personalized Said53 Quote:
                                          Thanks bro you bather start leaft that iron agen to keep some noob out from you self and look mucho for girls :)

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Legs
                                            Blu-ray players are not always going to cost twice that of HD-DVD players and the next iteration (or yet to be released) players will be better than the currently available Samsung player.

Did you honestly think that Blu-ray would always cost twice as much and that no one would make any improvements over the Samsung?

Amen. At least somebody understands the game.
                                            Well obviously, but if you had 2 competitors and 1 had a better machine with better quality films for half the price (for now, and for a while yet). Why should anyone get the other one?

A bad start is a bad start, you'd have to do some pretty damn things to make it up for a crap start. Obviously you people lack reading comphrehension as i have stated the same thing over and over, and you keep stating things i never said, plus i said that i will get blu-ray... Once it's actually "released".

You people are defending a product which dosen't deliver on anything.

You **** up on your 1st gen machine/films and you're gunna pay for it.

Comment

According to a Senior executive from toshiba, they are not loosing money on HD-DVD players. Link

Comment

Also you know what's good (for me at least) few of the Blu-Ray only films are being released on HD-DVD in europe due to publishing rights from studio canal

Good thing too as i want Terminator 2

Comment

Your posts are confusing because you say "there needs to be one and only one", then say your going to buy both, and then get excited about BD titles coming to HD DVD. Whichever format wins, we will be stuck with for the next 5 yrs. I think people should wait and let the formats mature more before making any kind of judgement. Im not impressed with BD myself after seeing it at BB, but I know it will improve so ill just wait and see what happens.

Comment

Your posts are confusing because you say "there needs to be one and only one", then say your going to buy both, and then get excited about BD titles coming to HD DVD. Whichever format wins, we will be stuck with for the next 5 yrs. I think people should wait and let the formats mature more before making any kind of judgement. Im not impressed with BD myself after seeing it at BB, but I know it will improve so ill just wait and see what happens.
                                                    Well i'd rather have one format, but seeing as some of the blu-ray films are coming to HD-DVD i'm happy. I said i will get a blu-ray player and i will. Didn't say when though (probably late next year)

Comment

wake me up when players are on sale for $60 after rebates and movies are available for 9.99 each
                                                      Abort, Retry, Fail?

Comment

Originally posted by seeker010
                                                        wake me up when players are on sale for $60 after rebates and movies are available for 9.99 each
                                                        Agreed!

I'm tired of being an early adopter to these damn format wars.

Comment

Working...
                                                        X