Official Thread: Coronavirus "COVID-19"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nagorak View Post
    I'm honestly a little afraid that one of the variants is going to prove vaccine resistant and we have to stay shut down for another year making a follow-up vaccine.
    that's actually not so far fetched as i wish it would be

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Time is the school in which we learn, Time is the fire in which we burn. *Delmore Schwartz*

Comment

Originally posted by Silent-Runner View Post
      that's actually not so far fetched as i wish it would be
      Well, FDA has said that approval for variants will be faster, so hopefully not.
      A hobbiest foundry and forge in progress, plans, suppliers, showcasing ideas

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire

Comment

Originally posted by Nagorak View Post
        I'm honestly a little afraid that one of the variants is going to prove vaccine resistant and we have to stay shut down for another year making a follow-up vaccine.
        Risks of that are minimal. While some mutations can make the virus more contagious most of the virus itself remains detectable after a vaccine or initial infection and so far vaccines show them to work on known mutations. Also the other covid viruses that infect us, of which covid 19 is the 5th kind, have remained modest infectious agents since we have long been exposed to them and developped immunity.

Add to that that they can make boosters every 6 months and my bet is this thing is largely over when we reach 50% of the population vaccinated by summer.

Even the weaker vaccines with ~60% effectiveness are in studies 100% effective against death and hospitalisation.
        I talked to the tree. Thats why they put me away!..." Peter Sellers, The Goon Show
        Only superficial people cant be superficial... Oscar Wilde

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 22.7.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
        "Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
        "The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.plasma-universe.com/pseudoskepticism/

Comment

Originally posted by pax View Post
          Even the weaker vaccines with ~60% effectiveness are in studies 100% effective against death and hospitalisation.
          I have no idea if they'd do this, but if they reserve the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines for the elderly/those with conditions but provide the J&J vaccine as a free-for-all to whoever shows up to get it, I think that would be the most reasonable approach.

The way we need to think about this is that a pandemic is like multi-ball in a game of pinball, every time a ball bounces off another ball, there's a chance of transmission. The less balls that can transmit, the less spread. So giving the vaccine out to whoever wants it makes sense to me in that you'd be randomly inserting "barriers" to transmission throughout a population which should decrease transmission even more as those targeted groups are most likely taking the most precautions and are not out and about as much as other groups.

Granted, they have not proven that the vaccine stops transmission, I think it would be likely to assume that at the very least, it would limit transmission.

Comment

I'll be so glad when they finally get the vaccines rolling out in quantity. We dodged another bullet this week. The son of one of the guys tested positive on Wednesday, and there are three of us that overlap lunch break with him. Distancing, but no mask (kind of hard to jam a sandwich through the fabric). His test came back negative yesterday (somehow), so we got off lucky again.

I'm having lunches by myself in the unused lab from now on. Separate entrances from the break room and office area, so I can avoid everyone.
            "When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert's pointy hair boss

"Relationships are like dormant volcanoes, most of the time things are fine or manageable but there's always a chance she blows molten crazy all over you." - ice

Comment

Originally posted by cbsboyer View Post
              I'll be so glad when they finally get the vaccines rolling out in quantity. We dodged another bullet this week. The son of one of the guys tested positive on Wednesday, and there are three of us that overlap lunch break with him. Distancing, but no mask (kind of hard to jam a sandwich through the fabric). His test came back negative yesterday (somehow), so we got off lucky again.

I'm having lunches by myself in the unused lab from now on. Separate entrances from the break room and office area, so I can avoid everyone.
              You don’t have an option to work from home?

Comment

Originally posted by Pr3tty F1y View Post
                I have no idea if they'd do this, but if they reserve the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines for the elderly/those with conditions but provide the J&J vaccine as a free-for-all to whoever shows up to get it, I think that would be the most reasonable approach.

The way we need to think about this is that a pandemic is like multi-ball in a game of pinball, every time a ball bounces off another ball, there's a chance of transmission. The less balls that can transmit, the less spread. So giving the vaccine out to whoever wants it makes sense to me in that you'd be randomly inserting "barriers" to transmission throughout a population which should decrease transmission even more as those targeted groups are most likely taking the most precautions and are not out and about as much as other groups.

Granted, they have not proven that the vaccine stops transmission, I think it would be likely to assume that at the very least, it would limit transmission.
                If you dont get sick you drastically reduce the chance of contagion as you both produce less viruses and dont propel them very far. You might be less prudent if you have no symptoms tho.

Some think we can use the 2 shot vaccines as one shots to cover more people faster but that might not be necessary if we keep authorizing new vaccines in the next few weeks and months and make the overall supply grow a lot faster. It may be more a question of how many people can we vaccinate on a given day than supply of vaccines soon.

Id throw the army on it to help out.
                I talked to the tree. Thats why they put me away!..." Peter Sellers, The Goon Show
                Only superficial people cant be superficial... Oscar Wilde

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 22.7.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
                "Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
                "The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.plasma-universe.com/pseudoskepticism/

Comment

There are fewer than 50k Covid hospitalizations, the lowest since November: let's not **** it up folks!

Comment

Originally posted by Java Cool Dude View Post
                    There are fewer than 50k Covid hospitalizations, the lowest since November: let's not **** it up folks!
                    States are already starting to relax their prevention measures. NC has doubled the indoor capacity now. I hope it doesn't spike again.

Comment

Regarding transmission after vaccination:

The Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE Covid-19 vaccine appeared to stop the vast majority of recipients in Israel becoming infected, providing the first real-world indication that the immunization will curb transmission of the coronavirus.

Pfizer and BioNTech said they are working on a real-world analysis of data from Israel, which will be shared as soon as it’s complete. Spokespeople declined to comment on unpublished data.
                      “That means that the true reduction in transmission is lower than the estimate of 89.4%,” McLaren said. “How much lower? We need more evidence to know for sure. But I expect that, once we account for the bias, we’ll still find that this vaccine does reduce transmission. And that would be very good news.”
                      What isn't stated is whether that number is Vaccines alone or Vaccines + social distancing + masks. Seems like it, but the formula will change shortly... more vaccinated, but less distancing... lets see if it holds up.

but seems they're becoming more open now that the vaccines only allow a low death rate, and half the population has at least one dose.

Shops, libraries and museums are now open to the public, following easing of Covid rules.

On Saturday, the health ministry said studies revealed the risk of illness from the virus has dropped 95.8% among people who have had both doses of the Pfizer vaccine.

It also found that the vaccine was 98% effective in preventing fever or breathing problems.

From Sunday, shops, libraries and museums can open but social distancing and masks are still required.
                      Under the easing measures, people are now able to enter shopping malls and tourist attractions such as zoos.

A number of other facilities are now able to reopen including gyms, hotels and synagogues. However they require a "green passport", a certificate that can only be obtained once you have been vaccinated. A small number of people who have recovered from the virus and are not currently eligible for the vaccine are also able to obtain the certificate.

The passport, which is contained in an app, is issued by the health ministry and will be valid for six months, one week after the second dose.

Crowds are now allowed back at concerts and sporting events have reopened at 75% capacity but they have a cap of no more than 300 people inside and 500 outside.

Comment

Originally posted by KAC View Post
                        You don’t have an option to work from home?
                        No, I drive a forklift (counterbalance and high-reach) moving stuff around and loading trucks all day.
                        "When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert's pointy hair boss

"Relationships are like dormant volcanoes, most of the time things are fine or manageable but there's always a chance she blows molten crazy all over you." - ice

Comment

Originally posted by Greasy View Post
                          States are already starting to relax their prevention measures. NC has doubled the indoor capacity now. I hope it doesn't spike again.
                          I'm pretty sure we're going to reopen too fast. It's basically par for the course at this point.

Comment

No, I drive a forklift (counterbalance and high-reach) moving stuff around and loading trucks all day.
                            Oh I see. Tell them to send forklift, stuff and trucks at home.

Comment

CDC Director Warns Variants Could Wipe Out Recent Progress Fighting COVID

A wave of new COVID-19 variants risks undoing the recent progress made fighting the coronavirus pandemic. New cases are starting to tick up after declining in January and February.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is worried about a "very concerning shift in trajectory" as the average number of new cases has been on the rise over the past seven days.

"Seventy thousand cases a day seems good compared to where we were just a few months ago," CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said. "Please hear me clearly: At this level of cases with variants spreading, we stand to completely lose the hard-earned ground we have gained."

The highly contagious B.1.1.7 strain, which was first discovered in the United Kingdom, has been the dominant variant found in the United States. According to data from the CDC, they have identified 2,463 cases of coronavirus variants. Of those, 2,400 are the B.1.1.7 strain. Fifty-three cases were the B.1.351 strain from South Africa. The remaining ten were the P.1 variant, which was identified in Brazil.

Health officials are also monitoring a variant discovered in New York City last November and two variants from California. The mutated strains could make the virus more infectious, more deadly and make it resistant to vaccines and other medical treatments.

Walensky said that people can't become complacent and must continue to wear masks and follow social distancing guidelines until enough people are vaccinated to reach herd immunity.

"It is so critical that we remain vigilant and consistently take all of the mitigation steps we know work to stop the spread of COVID-19 while we work our way toward mass vaccination," she said.

That vaccine they are pushing out? They better tweak it soon.
                              "Ok to lose to opponent, must not lose to fear!"
                              ~Mr. Myagi.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
                              ~George Carlin

"A man moaning in a pr0n sounds like a cow with a kidney stone."

"It's often not your fault if you have problems, but it is your responsibility to do something about them".

Comment

New idea for a game (or work software...however you want to interpret it)

FORKLIFT SIMULATOR!!!!
                                WITH FULL VR MODE!
                                ------Squachbox 2022------
                                Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 full size aluminum chassis
                                Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750watt PSU
                                AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
                                Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
                                2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
                                BenQ Mobiuz EX2710S 27" FHD monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
                                Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
                                Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
                                Samsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe
                                HyperX Cloud Stinger wired headset

Comment

Originally posted by Sasquach View Post
                                  New idea for a game (or work software...however you want to interpret it)

FORKLIFT SIMULATOR!!!!
                                  WITH FULL VR MODE!
                                  I have bad news for you...

Forklift-Simulator is the leader in virtual reality forklift simulation. The easiest, safest & most effective way to screen, train & protect your operators.

Also https://store.steampowered.com/app/9...imulator_2019/

Also Rule 34.

Comment

Originally posted by Crawdaddy79 View Post
                                    I have bad news for you...

Forklift-Simulator is the leader in virtual reality forklift simulation. The easiest, safest & most effective way to screen, train & protect your operators.

Also https://store.steampowered.com/app/9...imulator_2019/

Also Rule 34.
                                    GTFO. Rule 34 of that? No...nope. Not searching for it. It’s gonna be some weird sh*t like those dudes who lick their car or bone the exhaust pipe. NOPE.
                                    Originally posted by Ozziebloke
                                    I mean, yeah, sure, there's benefits to a shaved asshole. But get a little sweaty and try and blow a fart. It just sits there like a bubble. No hair to break the seal. Feels weird.

Alpha
                                    | Mobo: MSI P6N-SLI | CPU: Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.2ghz | Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) G.Skill DDR2-800 | Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTX | Hard Drive(s): 2xMaxtor 200GB | Sound: Onboard 7.1 HD | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 | PSU: OCZ GameXstream 700w | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Vista Home Premium |

Omega

| Mobo: Asus A8V S939 VIA K8T800 Pro | CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Manchester" | Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ PC3200 Platinum | Video Card: BBA AIW X800 XT | Hard Drive(s): Maxtor 100GB + Maxtor 200GB + WD 120GB | Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | DVD Reader: Memorex Generic | Case: Antec Lifestyle Sonata II | PSU: Antec 450w SmartPower 2.0 | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition |

Comment

Originally posted by Cyko View Post
                                      GTFO. Rule 34 of that? No...nope. Not searching for it. It’s gonna be some weird sh*t like those dudes who lick their car or bone the exhaust pipe. NOPE.

The fact you know this gives me pause.

Comment

Originally posted by KAC View Post

The fact you know this gives me pause.
                                        Your Audi was a whore. That’s all I’m saying
                                        I mean, yeah, sure, there's benefits to a shaved asshole. But get a little sweaty and try and blow a fart. It just sits there like a bubble. No hair to break the seal. Feels weird.

Alpha
                                        | Mobo: MSI P6N-SLI | CPU: Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.2ghz | Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) G.Skill DDR2-800 | Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTX | Hard Drive(s): 2xMaxtor 200GB | Sound: Onboard 7.1 HD | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 | PSU: OCZ GameXstream 700w | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Vista Home Premium |

Omega

| Mobo: Asus A8V S939 VIA K8T800 Pro | CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Manchester" | Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ PC3200 Platinum | Video Card: BBA AIW X800 XT | Hard Drive(s): Maxtor 100GB + Maxtor 200GB + WD 120GB | Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | DVD Reader: Memorex Generic | Case: Antec Lifestyle Sonata II | PSU: Antec 450w SmartPower 2.0 | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition |

Comment

Originally posted by Cyko View Post
                                          That...would actually be really funny if the car had been running for a while. Kind of like Fry and the radiator.

Comment

Got my first Pfizer shot today at 10am.

Arm is a little sore but not that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by andino View Post
                                              Got my first Pfizer shot today at 10am.

Arm is a little sore but not that bad.
                                              Got mine today at 5:30pm, shoulder is a bit sore and my body is feeling warm.
                                              Shot was administered by military personnel in uniform at Cal State LA.
                                              My mother in law who took the shot with me collapsed an hour ago and had to be rushed to the hospital. she's fine and alert now but doctors are keeping an eye on her.

Comment

Dang. I hope your mother in law gets better.

Comment

This thing is wild. The maid company we are using had covid outbreak. Now they are out of operations for past 2 weeks and will remain out of operation till March 9th.

Comment

My mother in law who took the shot with me collapsed an hour ago and had to be rushed to the hospital. she's fine and alert now but doctors are keeping an eye on her.
                                                    here's wishing for a speedy recovery of your mother in law.

"Time is the school in which we learn, Time is the fire in which we burn. *Delmore Schwartz*

Comment

Originally posted by Silent-Runner View Post
                                                      here's wishing for a speedy recovery of your mother in law.
                                                      Same here, hope she's ok.

Comment

Update: MIL broke her knee when she collapsed and is getting held at the hospital. She's waiting for the surgeon to decide whether to operate or put a cast.
                                                        This means no crab dinner this weekend...

Comment

Update:
                                                          You were going to eat your MIL?!?!?

Alpha

Omega

Comment

Dang, sorry to hear that Java.

Comment

Update: MIL broke her knee when she collapsed and is getting held at the hospital. She's waiting for the surgeon to decide whether to operate or put a cast.
                                                              Have the doctors determined if the collapse was due to a reaction from the vaccine? Sounds rough for her

My mother is getting her 2nd shot tomorrow, so I get a little nervous hearing about things like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy8s View Post
                                                                Have the doctors determined if the collapse was due to a reaction from the vaccine? Sounds rough for her

My mother is getting her 2nd shot tomorrow, so I get a little nervous hearing about things like this.
                                                                scary... might not get severe infections anymore but you get a broken knee.

now i'm scared scared for my parents
                                                                "World's First Analyst and Therapist: the Analrapist"
                                                                "Part time Cork Soaker"

Comment

My dad got his second Moderna covid shot a few days ago. Other than having a sore arm for a day or two, he was fine.
                                                                  "Ok to lose to opponent, must not lose to fear!"
                                                                  ~Mr. Myagi.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
                                                                  ~George Carlin

"A man moaning in a pr0n sounds like a cow with a kidney stone."

"It's often not your fault if you have problems, but it is your responsibility to do something about them".

Comment

Yeah, I'm sore all over today. I feel kind of like how you feel if you had a hard workout after not working out for a long, long while. Achy all over and tired AF.

I'm not going to take any Advil or Tylenol.

Comment

Originally posted by andino View Post
                                                                      Yeah, I'm sore all over today. I feel kind of like how you feel if you had a hard workout after not working out for a long, long while. Achy all over and tired AF.

I'm not going to take any Advil or Tylenol.
                                                                      Woke up with a sore arm but still managed to get a good workout at my outdoor 24 Hour Fitness.
                                                                      I'm starting to think I either got a placebo or my immune system is ****

Comment

Woke up with a sore arm but still managed to get a good workout at my outdoor 24 Hour Fitness.
                                                                        I'm starting to think I either got a placebo or my immune system is ****

A lot of people don't have much reaction to the first shot. The second shot is often worse.

Comment

Originally posted by koralis View Post
                                                                          A lot of people don't have much reaction to the first shot. The second shot is often worse.
                                                                          My wife just had mild headaches after both. I'm hoping that's the worst for me as well. If I can ever get a shot that is lol.

Comment

The sooner that needle hits my skin the better!!! It seems like forever to get around to someone my age. I am under 65 but barely. Seems like the wait just keeps getting extended over and over before I become eligible. I can safely work from home but that is getting a little old right now and hearing you guys complaining about your arm hurting is starting to trigger me.

Just kidding. Happy you guys have the protection. The more the better.

Comment

Ah Texas, because if the catastrophic power grid failure didn't kill you, COVID will!
                                                                              AUSTIN — Texans will no longer be required to wear a face mask in public, and all businesses will be able open at full capacity starting next week, Gov. Greg...

Comment

FFS, if only people wait until the end of May
                                                                                US will be able to vaccinate all adults by end of May

Comment

This stupid state only has 6.8% of people with both doses, what could possibly go wrong?
                                                                                  Originally posted by IamHere
                                                                                  You guys are closet communists.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  X