Official Thread: Coronavirus "COVID-19"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Higgy10 View Post
    its quite simple to figure out who is an essential worker. You know those types that cant work from home and have to go into there respective offices/construction sites/grocery stores/food processing plants etc that dont have the protections of working in a bubble.
    That's not true. Essential doesn't mean "Can't work from home."

Essential workers are those whose output is essential for the rest of society to function. If Hot Topic shut down tomorrow, no one but people working retail at Hot Topic would be harmed. The IT department for Hot Topic is not essential either as they're supporting non-essential business.

The IT department for a bank, Amazon, etc, are essential because a disruption will cause serious problems for the nation/world.

If Sony's servers shut down for a day it'd make a lot of gamers angry, but wouldn't be the end of the world. If a bank's servers shut down for a day, it could cause chaos because so many other essential services could rely on that banks services.

If Grocery stores shut down in an area, people starve. If the fire department can't staff to put out a fire, people can die and massive property damage. If a house construction gets delayed, or a restaurant has to close for a week or two, not a big deal.

That said, once Essential services are dealt with, at least in my area they'll be dealing with age and co-morbidity factors to prioritize. Not too late to make sure you've got high blood pressure, weigh too much, and have decreased lung function!
    A hobbiest foundry and forge in progress, plans, suppliers, showcasing ideas

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire

Comment

Originally posted by koralis View Post
      That's not true. Essential doesn't mean "Can't work from home."

Essential workers are those whose output is essential for the rest of society to function. If Hot Topic shut down tomorrow, no one but people working retail at Hot Topic would be harmed. The IT department for Hot Topic is not essential either as they're supporting non-essential business.

The IT department for a bank, Amazon, etc, are essential because a disruption will cause serious problems for the nation/world.

If Sony's servers shut down for a day it'd make a lot of gamers angry, but wouldn't be the end of the world. If a bank's servers shut down for a day, it could cause chaos because so many other essential services could rely on that banks services.

If Grocery stores shut down in an area, people starve. If the fire department can't staff to put out a fire, people can die and massive property damage. If a house construction gets delayed, or a restaurant has to close for a week or two, not a big deal.

That said, once Essential services are dealt with, at least in my area they'll be dealing with age and co-morbidity factors to prioritize. Not too late to make sure you've got high blood pressure, weigh too much, and have decreased lung function!
      Los Angeles Fire Department workers have enough vaccines but a mere 54% are willing to take it!
      First doses of the Moderna vaccine remain available at designated fire stations for firefighters who want it. Second doses are also being administered to firefighters, and 933 had received both dos…

Comment

Originally posted by Java Cool Dude View Post
        Once thawed out vaccines can no longer be stored for use in the next day.
        My wife showed up at closing time at one of the vaccination sites in LA and she was given a shot that otherwise would have been tossed out.
        She scheduled me for the last appointment available on a Tuesday, and when we showed up there were fewer than 5 people getting the shot.
        Again, I'm not saying what I did is right and I'm certainly not asking for your approval; I did what I believe was best for me and my family.
        :shrugs: x 2

Oh Im not giving approval just thoughts on the situation. I just put myself in a similar situation and try to figure out what I would do.

Ive had interactions with literally thousands of people during this pandemic(though supposedly safely) and I still dont think I would try to pull one over on the system and take one from someone else.

If they were getting thrown out at the end of the day I would think they would have gave it to you but they didnt so maybe there were other people coming in or something else. I wouldnt be surprised by the mismanagement of vaccines these days either. If you had the means(ability and cash) you probably would have done an under the table deal right then and there and that wouldnt surprise me either. Cause this is america(especially in CA) and we are entitled to have what we want and we want it now.

Comment

Originally posted by logical View Post
          Oh Im not giving approval just thoughts on the situation. I just put myself in a similar situation and try to figure out what I would do.

Ive had interactions with literally thousands of people during this pandemic(though supposedly safely) and I still dont think I would try to pull one over on the system and take one from someone else.

If they were getting thrown out at the end of the day I would think they would have gave it to you but they didnt so maybe there were other people coming in or something else. I wouldnt be surprised by the mismanagement of vaccines these days either. If you had the means(ability and cash) you probably would have done an under the table deal right then and there and that wouldnt surprise me either. Cause this is america(especially in CA) and we are entitled to have what we want and we want it now.

Nah, I wouldn't pay for the vaccine and I would certainly not lie about my occupation to get ahead: I could have stated that I am a healthcare worker as I have a very convincing work badge that looks a lot like a Kaiser badge (since we share a campus) but I didn't.
          Anyway, the vaccine rollout in CA has been a clusterf*** to the point where the whole operation has been passed onto Blue Shield to make it better:
          Gov. Gavin Newsom’s surprising choice of Blue Shield to lead the state’s covid vaccination effort raised questions about the role politics played in the decision — and whether the insurer is up to the task.
          Last edited by Java Cool Dude; Feb 3, 2021, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Nah, I wouldn't pay for the vaccine and I would certainly not lie about my occupation to get ahead: I could have stated that I am a healthcare worker as I have a very convincing work badge that looks a lot like a Kaiser badge (since we share a campus)
            Anyway, the vaccine rollout in CA has been a clusterf*** to the point where the whole operation has been passed onto to Blue Shield to make it better:
            https://californiahealthline.org/new...cination-push/

Yeah CA sucks. I dont expect to get a shot until next year realistically lmao.

Comment

Los Angeles Fire Department workers have enough vaccines but a mere 54% are willing to take it!
              https://www.dailynews.com/2021/02/02...pted-for-shot/
              Crazy, right? *sigh*

The "funny" part of your link shows that 90% had intended to take it... but when it came time to get the needle, only 54% did. People chickening out in this case it looks like, as opposed to being anti-vax in principle.

Comment

IT would be essential if you work in the health industry and maybe communications. Gaming industry IT guys are not essential. They are essential to the game(whatever game they work on) but not the world/community/city so therefore not essential IMO. I work IT for a school district and I would consider myself more essential than Java(but still not essential enough to get one before many other people)

There's a whole article on who is or isn't. But I would turn Java down as well.

https://covid19.ca.gov/img/Essential...ers.pdf#page13
                I work I.T. for a medical billing company so that is technically under medical since we deal with a lot of hospitals. Don't really come into contact with patients though.
                "Ok to lose to opponent, must not lose to fear!"
                ~Mr. Myagi.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
                ~George Carlin

"A man moaning in a pr0n sounds like a cow with a kidney stone."

"It's often not your fault if you have problems, but it is your responsibility to do something about them".

Comment

Originally posted by xCLAVEx View Post
                  I work I.T. for a medical billing company so that is technically under medical since we deal with a lot of hospitals. Don't really come into contact with patients though.

I would consider you essential cause without your help in the field people can die. I deal with the technology students get so they can do distanced learning. Essential in a sense but lives arent at risk like your job.

Comment

I would consider you essential cause without your help in the field people can die. I deal with the technology students get so they can do distanced learning. Essential in a sense but lives arent at risk like your job.
                    I'm at my office every day, only working from home when somebody comes in with symptoms and we came in contact but then it's only until quarantine period is up, then back to the office. There's too many things we do that require a physical presence that you just can't do working from home unfortunately.

Then again, I already had covid and recovered so I'm probably low risk. That said, I'll still get the vaccine when it's available to me.
                    ~Mr. Myagi.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
                    ~George Carlin

"It's often not your fault if you have problems, but it is your responsibility to do something about them".

Comment

Well, in that case it's not to try to keep you from spreading to patients, it's to make sure the medical billing company can keep operating smoothly by you not being taken out of the equation for a couple of weeks, months, or permanently and needing to hire new people that don't know what's going on, causing disruption that they can't afford.

Still essential. When your turn comes up, don't feel bad about it. You're a cog in the essential machine.

All this talk reminds me of my coffee mug that I got from Despair.com years ago (they make "demotivational posters")

Just because you're necessary doesn't mean you're important. You might think you’re just a gear in the machine, but that’s not true. Gears are delicate, important, and expensive to replace. PERFECT FOR: Machinists with quirky senses of humor Workers who have nothing to lose but their chains, their salaries, their healt

WORTH
                      Just because you're necessary doesn't mean you're important.

Comment

im in the residential construction industry so theres no doubt im considered essential.

I would gladly give my up my spot in the line for someone who needed it far more than i did. Im pretty sure theres millions that need it before i do

Comment

Today is Super bowl which means thousands of morons will gather indoors and help lady Rona acquire more disciples...

Comment

My test results came back negative btw. Feeling better this weekend, no symptoms at this time.

Comment

Today is Super bowl which means thousands of morons will gather indoors and help lady Rona acquire more disciples...
                              Yep, expect the number of cases to rise sharply for the next 2-3 weeks.

Comment

Yup. I don’t feel bad if any of those morons die, but the innocents they’ll infect and possibly kill along with them really pisses me off to no end.
                                Originally posted by Ozziebloke
                                I mean, yeah, sure, there's benefits to a shaved asshole. But get a little sweaty and try and blow a fart. It just sits there like a bubble. No hair to break the seal. Feels weird.

Alpha
                                | Mobo: MSI P6N-SLI | CPU: Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.2ghz | Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) G.Skill DDR2-800 | Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTX | Hard Drive(s): 2xMaxtor 200GB | Sound: Onboard 7.1 HD | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 | PSU: OCZ GameXstream 700w | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Vista Home Premium |

Omega

| Mobo: Asus A8V S939 VIA K8T800 Pro | CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Manchester" | Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ PC3200 Platinum | Video Card: BBA AIW X800 XT | Hard Drive(s): Maxtor 100GB + Maxtor 200GB + WD 120GB | Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | DVD Reader: Memorex Generic | Case: Antec Lifestyle Sonata II | PSU: Antec 450w SmartPower 2.0 | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition |

Comment

Why aren’t these sports events banned again?

Comment

Originally posted by KAC View Post
                                    Why aren’t these sports events banned again?
                                    It’s not the event itself that’s the issue, it’s people gathering in homes to watch which will cause the infection/death rate to rise.
                                    I mean, yeah, sure, there's benefits to a shaved asshole. But get a little sweaty and try and blow a fart. It just sits there like a bubble. No hair to break the seal. Feels weird.

Alpha
                                    | Mobo: MSI P6N-SLI | CPU: Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.2ghz | Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) G.Skill DDR2-800 | Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTX | Hard Drive(s): 2xMaxtor 200GB | Sound: Onboard 7.1 HD | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 | PSU: OCZ GameXstream 700w | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Vista Home Premium |

Omega

| Mobo: Asus A8V S939 VIA K8T800 Pro | CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Manchester" | Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ PC3200 Platinum | Video Card: BBA AIW X800 XT | Hard Drive(s): Maxtor 100GB + Maxtor 200GB + WD 120GB | Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | DVD Reader: Memorex Generic | Case: Antec Lifestyle Sonata II | PSU: Antec 450w SmartPower 2.0 | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition |

Comment

South Africa has put its rollout of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine on hold after a study showed "disappointing" results against its new Covid variant.

Scientists say the variant accounts for 90% of new Covid cases in South Africa.

The trial, involving some 2,000 people, found that the vaccine offered "minimal protection" against mild and moderate cases.

But experts are hopeful that the vaccine will still be effective at preventing severe cases.

South Africa has recorded almost 1.5 million coronavirus cases and more than 46,000 deaths since the pandemic began - a higher toll than any other country on the continent.

The country has received one million doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca jab and was preparing to start vaccinating people.

Health Minister Zweli Mkhize said his government would wait for further advice on how best to proceed with the AstraZeneca vaccine in light of the findings.

In the meantime, he said, the government would offer vaccines produced by Johnson & Johnson and Pfizer in the coming weeks.

A study of the vaccine's efficacy against the South Africa variant shows "disappointing" results.
                                      Well it looks like the astra zeneca vaccine is a bust.
                                      ~Mr. Myagi.

~George Carlin

Comment

Cat and mouse beings.
                                        Fantards the scourge of the universe:

Comment

What I'd like to know is how the hell can they possibly expect the vaccine to offer protection against severe infections of this variant when it can't offer protection against mild/moderate cases? The logic doesn't make any sense because when you get the virus is when it goes either mild or severe. There aren't "severe" or "mild" versions of the same variant floating around, that's not how viruses work.
                                          ~Mr. Myagi.

~George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Cyko View Post
                                            It’s not the event itself that’s the issue, it’s people gathering in homes to watch which will cause the infection/death rate to rise.

Even though snow is A) EVIL and B) SATAN, the snow storm we had in NJ was probably a bit of a blessing. Hopefully it kept people at home and out of the small indoor gathers that COVID loves.

Comment

Originally posted by Jkmetal23 View Post
                                              Even though snow is A) EVIL and B) SATAN, the snow storm we had in NJ was probably a bit of a blessing. Hopefully it kept people at home and out of the small indoor gathers that COVID loves.

I feel you on snow. Nice to look at it fall but shoveling/clearing it is a nightmare. Even with a blower I’d rather be doing literally anything else.

Alpha

Omega

Comment

We never get snow. I want some damnit!

Comment

Unbelievable:
                                                  About 60% of nursing home staff declined Covid vaccines, Walgreens exec says

I think if you decline the vaccine you should be barred from getting it until all those who want it () get their shots!

Comment

I feel you on snow. Nice to look at it fall but shoveling/clearing it is a nightmare. Even with a blower I’d rather be doing literally anything else.

10+ hours this month ALONE. Just dropped nearly $45 on 100 POUNDS of de-icer to help out mom and brother with their ice problems at there houses. Just the devil itself.

Originally posted by Greasy View Post
                                                    We never get snow. I want some damnit!
                                                    FUK SNOW FUK SNOW FUK SNOW

I hate snow. Its cold and wet and gets everywhere!!!!!

With COVID its cabin fever on top of cabin fever. I can't even walk/hike anywhere!!! (winter hiking without snow rocks) Sitting outside with a fire is out, walking around neighborhood requires ice skates.

Comment

COVID test tomorrow, 11am.

Extreme fatigue Sunday, headache and fatigue yesterday. Less fatigue today but still don’t feel normal. Was able to complete my normal workout but I’m not taking that as a sign I’m on the mend. Got to make sure.

Alpha

Omega

Comment

Gay, I hope you don’t have COVID.

Comment

We are averaging over 1.5 millions shot a day in the US mashAllah.
                                                          I hope to get vaccinated by June just in time for summer.

Comment

COVID test tomorrow, 11am.

Extreme fatigue Sunday, headache and fatigue yesterday. Less fatigue today but still don’t feel normal. Was able to complete my normal workout but I’m not taking that as a sign I’m on the mend. Got to make sure.
                                                            Got your text this morning - good to hear brother

Comment

We are averaging over 1.5 millions shot a day in the US mashAllah.
                                                              I hope to get vaccinated by June just in time for summer.
                                                              We're getting a lot of conflicting information here in NE, but spring going into summer should see an awful lot of shots going out

Comment

Mom got her second Pfizer shot 2 days ago. She said the first one was worse.... She was all prepped to be under the weather for a day/ a day and a half and nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by dodger View Post
                                                                  Mom got her second Pfizer shot 2 days ago. She said the first one was worse.... She was all prepped to be under the weather for a day/ a day and a half and nothing.
                                                                  My Mom was great the first day (Pfizer) and pretty ill the second...she gets her 2nd in 3 weeks. She has almost no immune system right now due to chemo, so this is a huge relief for her, and the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy8s View Post
                                                                    We're getting a lot of conflicting information here in NE, but spring going into summer should see an awful lot of shots going out
                                                                    I thought you lived in Alabama? Maybe I got my lazy8's mixed.
                                                                    ~Mr. Myagi.

~George Carlin

Comment

There aren't any NE Patriots fans in AL man.

Comment

Originally posted by Greasy View Post
                                                                        There aren't any NE Patriots fans in AL man.

South of Boston MA

Comment

Wife got her first shot today since she is in education. Not sure when I will be able to get mine.
                                                                          Blah!

屁をひつて尻窄め "Breaking wind, closing buttocks" - Japanese Proverb

www.angelman.org
                                                                          www.cureangelman.org

Comment

My Mom was great the first day (Pfizer) and pretty ill the second...she gets her 2nd in 3 weeks. She has almost no immune system right now due to chemo, so this is a huge relief for her, and the rest of us.

Good I guess, but don't get complacent. If chemo is ripping up her T cells she might not be able to build up the level of immunity that these mRNA vaccines attempt to stoke for longer term protection. If the chemo ever ends, I'd recommend asking her doctor if she could get a booster shot once her immune system is more normal.

Comment

Originally posted by koralis View Post
                                                                              Good I guess, but don't get complacent. If chemo is ripping up her T cells she might not be able to build up the level of immunity that these mRNA vaccines attempt to stoke for longer term protection. If the chemo ever ends, I'd recommend asking her doctor if she could get a booster shot once her immune system is more normal.
                                                                              Spot on koralis - her doctors have already discussed this and are speaking with her almost daily, monitoring for any unexpected adverse effects etc...

You sound as if you're more familiar/in tune with specifics than I am, but all I can really say is we're incredibly grateful for this doctor that heads the team. She's amazing

Comment

Got your text this morning - good to hear brother

Still trying to figure out why I feel like crap, but the negative test result was a sigh of relief.

Alpha

Omega

Comment

Still trying to figure out why I feel like crap, but the negative test result was a sigh of relief.
                                                                                  Was it a rapid test or PCR? I don't trust those rapid tests because I took one when I was sick and tested negative but still felt like ****. 3 days later I decided to get s PCR to be sure, and THAT came back positive.
                                                                                  ~Mr. Myagi.

~George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  X