Official Thread: Coronavirus "COVID-19"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SirBaron View Post
    Johnson & johnson the company that had to pay 4.7 billion usd in damages beacause of the talc powder that caused cancer?

Yeah they can get ****ed.
    Last I looked into it, there was no proof that J&J baby powder had any asbestos in it, nor was there any proof that the plaintiffs exclusively used J&J baby powder, but because there was a risk that asbestos could mix in with talc when mining, and the risk wasn't stamped on the bottles as a warning, they're getting their asses handed to them. Their position was/is there is no warning on the bottle because of their mining standards/procedures there is no risk of asbestos mixing in with the talc.

I stopped following the story a couple of years ago but have since heard that they've stopped putting baby powder on the market.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyko View Post
      Look at the people in this thread calling the cautious “holier-than-though” etc. etc.

Can’t fix entitlement or idiocy.
      I don't want to misrepresent MyTMouse's words, but I think that accusation comes not from people sharing their concerns, but the dickish way in which they are presented.

Indeed, some members who are currently out sick may have gotten that way for the crime of visiting family members over Thanksgiving, and then unknowingly spread the virus by doing things like going to work, shopping for groceries, or shitting in a public restroom, but they certainly aren't going to talk about it here without getting the OH MY GOD HOW CAN YOU BE SO ****ING STUPID from you guys.

Comment

Rich People Are Trying To Use Their Money To Cut In Line For The Coronavirus Vaccine.
        Wealthy people are trying to use their money and connections to cut in line ahead of vulnerable populations for the coronavirus vaccine, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Doctors who offer personalized concierge medical care report receiving hundreds of calls a day from their clients, who often include celebrities and executives, asking to pay top dollar for expedited access to the vaccine, according to the LA Times.

In California, the first groups in line for the Pfizer vaccine are frontline healthcare workers and elderly residents of nursing homes and other assisted living facilities. But wealthy people who aren’t in those demographics are depending on expensive concierge practices that they pay up to $25,000 a year for a spot closer to the top of the list.

MARTINEZ, CALIFORNIA – DECEMBER 15: Frontline healthcare worker Gilberto Garcia receives a Pfizer COVID-19 vaccination at Contra Costa Regional Medical Center on December 15, 2020 in Martinez, California. Contra Costa Health Services received 9,750 COVID-19 vaccinations and have commenced vaccinating frontline healthcare workers. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

Boutique practices are following public health guidelines in determining who will get the vaccine first, but its clients are already ahead of most people because these practices have the special freezers that can store the vaccine, among other resources. The vaccine isn’t available to private buyers yet, so until it is, doctors have had to tell their wealthy patients that they’ll have to wait.

Dr. Jeff Tolls, who has admitting privileges at a hospital that has the vaccine, told the LA Times that a patient asked him whether a $25,000 donation would help them skip ahead of high-priority groups, to which Tolls answered no.

The ambiguity of what qualifies as an “essential industry” or underlying health conditions could also lead to the wealthy with connections arguing that they fit into these groups. While the common understanding of “essential workers,” who receive priority in vaccinations, is people who work service-industry jobs, an executive at an essential company could argue that they should also be prioritized, bioethicist Glenn Ellis told the LA Times.

“With enough money and influence, you can make a convincing argument about anything,” Ellis said.

People with influence may also use their connections to gain access to the vaccine by making requests to friends who may lead pharmaceutical companies or hospitals to give them “V.I.P. treatment.”

In California’s entertainment industry, doctors tell the LA Times that celebrities and executives are tasking their assistants with searching for ways to access the vaccine much sooner.

“Their people are calling me literally every day,” an anonymous doctor told the LA Times.

Syringes wand vials of the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine are prepared to be administered to front-line health care workers under an emergency use authorization at a drive up vaccination site from Renown Health in Reno, Nevada on December 17, 2020. (Photo by Patrick T. Fallon / AFP) (Photo by PATRICK T. FALLON/AFP via Getty Images)

The Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) vaccine advisory panel voted to recommend that Moderna’s coronavirus vaccine be authorized for emergency use Thursday, clearing the way for its approval and distribution nationwide. It is expected to be approved Friday, which would help alleviate the demand for the vaccine as the government moved forward with Pfizer’s vaccine rollout.

The Trump administration expects roughly 20 million Americans to be vaccinated before the end of 2020, and state governments will get the final say on who is first in line, according to New York Magazine.

Surprise!
        "Ok to lose to opponent, must not lose to fear!"
        ~Mr. Myagi.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
        ~George Carlin

"A man moaning in a pr0n sounds like a cow with a kidney stone."

"It's often not your fault if you have problems, but it is your responsibility to do something about them".

Comment

Originally posted by xCLAVEx View Post
          Surprise!
          lifestyles of the rich and shameless

my father is in one of the first groups or so says his kidney and dialysis center says they are getting it soon
          they may do my mother also since she has a pacemaker and they are both 90

i can wait and keep waring the N95's and my o2 canada

Comment

The wife and I just got our results back negative thank God......Yes, I was sweating it lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy8s View Post
              The wife and I just got our results back negative thank God......Yes, I was sweating it lol.
              Glad to hear it buddy
              Originally posted by Ozziebloke
              I mean, yeah, sure, there's benefits to a shaved asshole. But get a little sweaty and try and blow a fart. It just sits there like a bubble. No hair to break the seal. Feels weird.

Alpha
              | Mobo: MSI P6N-SLI | CPU: Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.2ghz | Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) G.Skill DDR2-800 | Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTX | Hard Drive(s): 2xMaxtor 200GB | Sound: Onboard 7.1 HD | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 | PSU: OCZ GameXstream 700w | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Vista Home Premium |

Omega

| Mobo: Asus A8V S939 VIA K8T800 Pro | CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Manchester" | Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ PC3200 Platinum | Video Card: BBA AIW X800 XT | Hard Drive(s): Maxtor 100GB + Maxtor 200GB + WD 120GB | Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | DVD Reader: Memorex Generic | Case: Antec Lifestyle Sonata II | PSU: Antec 450w SmartPower 2.0 | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition |

Comment

Glad to hear it buddy
                same

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Comment

The rich people cutting in line is annoying. But at the same time there aren't really enough rich people for it to make much difference in the scheme of things (considering we're trying to vaccinate the entire population) so I'm not going to get too worked up over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagorak View Post
                        The rich people cutting in line is annoying. But at the same time there aren't really enough rich people for it to make much difference in the scheme of things (considering we're trying to vaccinate the entire population) so I'm not going to get too worked up over it.
                        Yep, let them have it. If it turns people into zombies like facebook says, we'll have rich zombies.

Comment

Mutant coronavirus in the United Kingdom sets off alarms but its importance remains unclear
                          By Kai KupferschmidtDec. 20, 2020 , 5:45 PM

Science’s COVID-19 reporting is supported by the Pulitzer Center and the Heising-Simons Foundation.

On 8 December, during a regular Tuesday meeting about the spread of the pandemic coronavirus in the United Kingdom, scientists and public health experts saw a diagram that made them sit up straight. Kent, in the southeast of England, was experiencing a surge in cases, and a phylogenetic tree showing viral sequences from the county looked very strange, says Nick Loman, a microbial genomicist at the University of Birmingham. Not only were half the cases caused by one specific variant of SARS-CoV-2, but that variant was sitting on a branch of the tree that literally stuck out from the rest of the data. “I've not seen a part of the tree that looks like this before,” Loman says.

Less than two weeks later, that variant is causing mayhem in the United Kingdom and elsewhere in Europe. Yesterday, U.K. prime minister Boris Johnson announced stricter lockdown measures, saying the strain, which goes by the name B.1.1.7, appears to be better at spreading between people. The news led many Londoners to leave the city today, before the new rules take effect, causing overcrowded railway stations. Also today, the Netherlands, Belgium, and Italy announced they were temporarily halting passenger flights from the United Kingdom. The Eurostar train between Brussels and the British capital will stop running at midnight tonight for at least 24 hours.

Scientists, meanwhile, are hard at work trying to figure out whether B.1.1.7 is really more adept at human-to-human transmission—not everyone is convinced yet—and if so, why. They’re also wondering how it evolved so fast. B.1.1.7 has acquired 17 mutations all at once, a feat never seen before. “There's now a frantic push to try and characterize some of these mutations in the lab,” says Andrew Rambaut, a molecular evolutionary biologist at the University of Edinburgh.

Too many unknowns
                          Researchers have watched SARS-CoV-2 evolve in real time more closely than any other virus in history. So far, it has accumulated mutations at a rate of about 1 to 2 changes per month. That means many of the genomes sequenced today differ at around 20 points from the earliest genomes sequenced in China in January, but many variants with fewer changes are also circulating. “Because we have very dense surveillance of genomes, you can almost see every step,” Loman says.

But scientists have never seen the virus acquire more than a dozen mutations seemingly at once. They think it happened during a long infection of a single patient that allowed SARS-CoV-2 to go through an extended period of fast evolution, with multiple variants competing for advantage.

One reason to be concerned, Rambaut says, is that among the 17 are eight mutations in the gene that encodes the spike protein on the viral surface, two of which are particularly worrisome. One, called N501Y, has previously been shown to increase how tightly the protein binds to the ACE2 receptor, its entry point into human cells. The other, named 69-70del, leads to the loss of two amino acids in the spike protein and has been found in viruses that eluded the immune response in some immunocompromised patients.

There's now a frantic push to try and characterize some of these mutations in the lab.

Andrew Rambaut, University of Edinburgh
                          A fortunate coincidence helped show that B.1.1.7 (also called VUI-202012/01, for the first “variant under investigation” in December 2020), appears to be spreading faster than other variants in the United Kingdom. One of the PCR tests used widely in the country, called TaqPath, normally detects pieces of three genes. But viruses with 69-70del lead to a negative signal for the gene encoding the spike gene; instead only two genes show up. That means PCR tests, which the U.K. conducts by the hundreds of thousands daily and which are far quicker and cheaper than sequencing the entire virus, can help keep track of B.1.1.7.

In a press conference on Saturday, chief science advisor Patrick Vallance said that B.1.1.7, which first appeared in a virus isolated on 20 September, accounted for about 26% of cases in mid-November. “By the week commencing the 9th of December, these figures were much higher,” he said. “So, in London, over 60% of all the cases were the new variant.” Boris Johnson added that the slew of mutations may have increased the virus’s transmissibility by 70%.

Christian Drosten, a virologist at Charité University Hospital in Berlin, says that was premature. “There are too many unknowns to say something like that,” he says. For one thing, the rapid spread of B.1.1.7 might be down to chance. Scientists previously worried that a variant that spread rapidly from Spain to the rest of Europe—confusingly called B.1.177—might be more transmissible, but today they think it is not; it just happened to be carried all over Europe by travelers who spent their holidays in Spain. Something similar might be happening with B.1.1.7, says Angela Rasmussen, a virologist at Georgetown University. Drosten notes that the new mutant also carries a deletion in another viral gene, ORF8, that previous studies suggest might reduce the virus’s ability to spread.

But further reason for concern comes from South Africa, where scientists have sequenced genomes in three provinces where cases are soaring: Eastern Cape, Western Cape, and KwaZulu Natal. They identified a lineage separate from the U.K. variant that also has the N501Y mutation in the spike gene. “We found that this lineage seems to be spreading much faster,” says Tulio De Oliveira, a virologist at the University of KwaZulu Natal whose work first alerted U.K. scientists to the importance of N501Y. (A preprint of their results on the strain, which they are calling 501Y.V2, will be released on Monday, De Oliveira says.)

Another worry is that B.1.1.7 could cause more severe disease. There is anecdotal evidence that the South African variant may be doing that in young people and those who are otherwise healthy, says John Nkengasong, director of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention. “It’s concerning, but we really need more data to be sure.” The African Task Force for Coronavirus will convene an emergency meeting to discuss the issue on Monday, Nkengasong says.

Still, B.1.177, the strain from Spain, offers a cautionary lesson, says virologist Emma Hodcroft of the University of Basel. U.K. scientists initially thought it had a 50% higher mortality rate, but that turned out to be “purely messy, biased data in the early days,” she says. “I think that is a very strong reminder that we always have to be really careful with early data.” In the case of N501Y, more young people may be getting sick because many more are getting infected; Oliveira says some recent post-exam celebrations in South Africa have turned into superspreading events. Studies in cell culture and animal experiments will have to show how a virus with several or all of the mutations carried by the new variant compares with previous variants, says Drosten.

Getting definitive answers could take months. But Ravindra Gupta, a virologist at the University of Cambridge has made a start. The 69-70del mutation appeared together with another mutation named D796H in the virus of a patient who was infected for several months and was given convalescent plasma to treat the disease. (The patient eventually died.) In the lab, Gupta’s group found that virus carrying the two mutations was less susceptible to convalescent plasma from several donors than the wildtype virus. That suggests it can evade antibodies targeting the wildtype virus, Gupta wrote in a preprint published this month. He also engineered a lentivirus to express mutated versions of the spike protein and found that the deletion alone made that virus twice as infectious. He is now conducting similar experiments with viruses that carry both the deletion and the N501Y mutation. The first results should appear just after Christmas, Gupta says.

Does it occur elsewhere?
                          The ban on flights from the United Kingdom that other countries are imposing “is pretty extreme,” says Hodcroft. But it does give countries time to think about putting any additional measures in place to deal with passengers from the United Kingdom, she says: “I would hope that most countries in Europe are thinking about this.”

But scientists say B.1.1.7 may already be much more widespread. Dutch researchers have found it in a sample from one patient taken in early December, Dutch health minister Hugo de Jonge wrote in a letter to Parliament today. They will try to find out how the patient became infected and if there are related cases. Other countries may well have the variant as well, says epidemiologist William Hanage of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health; the United Kingdom may just have picked it up first because that country has the most sophisticated SARS-CoV-2 genomic monitoring in the world. Many countries have little or no sequencing.

The evolutionary process that led to B.1.1.7 may also occur elsewhere. With vaccines being rolled out, the selective pressure on the virus is going to change, meaning variants that help the virus thrive could be selected for, says Kristian Andersen, an infectious disease researcher at Scripps Research. The important thing in the coming months will be picking up such events, says Andersen. “Whatever enabled the B.1.1.7 lineage to emerge is likely going on in other parts of the world”, he says. "Will we be able to actually detect it and then follow up on it? That, to me is one of the critical things.”

Fantastic, is this going to make the vaccine useless in the long run?
                          ~Mr. Myagi.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
                          ~George Carlin

"It's often not your fault if you have problems, but it is your responsibility to do something about them".

Comment

New strain. New vaccine most likely. Guess we are never coming out of our homes again.

Comment

Originally posted by Greasy View Post
                              Yep, let them have it. If it turns people into zombies like facebook says, we'll have rich zombies.
                              and then we can Double Tap them and walk away

Comment

Fantastic, is this going to make the vaccine useless in the long run?
                                Antibodies generated in trial subjects were able to neutralize pseudo-viruses representing 19 diverse SARS-CoV-2 variants, indicating potential for broad protection against viruses with reported mutations
                                Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) and BioNTech SE (Nasdaq: BNTX) today announced additional data on neutralizing antibody and T cell responses from the Phase 1/2 trial with BNT162b2 conducted in Germany. The study results demonstrate that BNT162b2 elicits a combined adaptive humoral and cellular immune response against SARS-CoV-2 and provide insights into the composite nature of BNT162b2-induced T cell immunity. The results were published on the preprint server MedRxiv and are available here. BNT162b2 is an investigational COVID-19 vaccine developed by Pfizer-BioNTech. It has been authorized for emergency use for individuals 16 years of age and older in several countries around the world.

Comment

Was it the rapid test or the PCR? I tested negative for the rapid but I didn't trust it because it was only 3 days after I was exposed so I went for the PCR on Saturday. Bad thing is I have to wait for 3-5 days for results but they will be almost fool proof for accuracy.

I've been told with the rapid you can test negative one day and then the next night become positive.
                                  Last edited by xCLAVEx; Dec 20, 2020, 09:45 PM.
                                  ~Mr. Myagi.

~George Carlin

Comment

Was it the rapid test or the PCR? I tested negative for the rapid but I didn't trust it because it was only 3 days after I was exposed so I went for the PCR on Saturday. Bad thing is I have to wait for 3-5 days for results but they will be almost fool proof for accuracy.

I've been told with the rapid you can test negative one day and then the next night become positive.
                                    That is correct. A negative rapid doesn't really mean much, unfortunately. A positive rapid is a good indicator of positive.

However, PCR is the gold standard. Hopefully the lab is using more than sufficient replication cycles with that 3-5 day turn around (i.e., you can run a PCR very quickly, but for good results, you need to run it for a while as it continually replicates genetic material so once you run it for a sufficient number of cycles, even a very tiny sample of virus genetic material will be copied and amplified enough to identify it's presence).

Comment

Rapid - It's all we had available on short notice.
                                      Originally posted by Pr3tty F1y View Post
                                      That is correct. A negative rapid doesn't really mean much, unfortunately. A positive rapid is a good indicator of positive.
                                      The statement we get with the test results says as much - it's not very reassuring to read "Your results are negative, but that doesn't mean you don't have it."

Comment

Here's a funny refresher on how vaccines work from @WheatNOil

The mRNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) are kind of brilliant at a science level. I’ve had a few people in my real non-Twitter life ask me to explain how it works so I’m going to try my best here in this thread while I’m waiting for a patient to show.
                                        The first thing to know is how your immune system works. Basically, your immune cells attack anything foreign to your body. If it sees a protein or a virus or a bacteria or anything that it doesn’t recognize, it launches an attack.
                                        If it’s fighting off a virus, for example, it takes time to build up a full attack. It’s got to figure out what part of the virus to attack & ramp up production of what it needs to attack those parts. That can take a few days. Meanwhile the virus is replicating and expanding.
                                        Once it fights off the virus, though, it remembers it. You’ve got memory cells in your immune system and if you run into that virus again, your memory cells say “I’ve seen this asshole before”. Your body uses it’s past experience to demolish the virus before it can make you sick.

So, with that in mind, we return to the vaccine. Scientists looked at the COVID virus and saw a protein on the outside of the virus that looked like a good candidate to launch an immune attack against.
                                        That protein, by the way, is an important one for the virus. It uses that protein to get into your cells. That protein makes the virus more infectious. In short, that protein makes the virus more of an asshole.
                                        Now COVID has DNA in it that codes for all of its parts. So scientists looked at the entire DNA sequence of virus and found the sequence of DNA that is the blueprints for that protein. The asshole protein.
                                        Side note: DNA is the blueprint to make things in a cell. Cells take the DNA and transcribe it into RNA. The RNA is the instructions that tell the cell what to make. mRNA (literally messenger-RNA) literally just gives instructions to the cell to make something.
                                        So scientists took the blueprint for the asshole protein on COVID and made an mRNA version of it. Literally just the instructions on how to make that protein.
                                        These instructions “are” the vaccine.

Let me explain.

The vaccine contains no actual part of the virus. It has only the instructions on how to make the asshole protein. So, you can’t get infected with COVID from the vaccine. You just get these instructions.
                                        Your cells see these instructions and say “sure, I’ll make this”. So your cells make a bunch of the asshole protein.
                                        Your immune system sees this new protein you’re producing and immediately says “what... the ****... is this?” And it starts attacking the protein.
                                        Remember it hasn’t seen this protein before. It takes awhile to ramp up production. Then it launches an all out war against the asshole protein. The fevers, chills, muscle soreness, etc you might get as vaccine side effects is your body bombing the hell out of the asshole protein
                                        So you destroy the asshole protein (which in and of itself can’t infect you, it’s just a protein, not the virus).

Now here’s the important part. Your memory cells ‘remember’ the asshole protein. They remember exactly how to destroy it.

By the way, your body breaks down the mRNA instructions that you got with the vaccine pretty quickly too. That’s normal. You don’t need a bunch of instructions hanging around forever. Your body breaks those down and gets rid of them.
                                        So you’ve broken down the mRNA instructions. You’ve destroyed asshole proteins. Everything from the vaccine is gone.
                                        Except for those memory cells who remember that protein very well.
                                        Your body’s own ‘natural immune system’ quickly and efficiently launches an all out war, using the template it has from when it destroyed the asshole protein last time. It destroys the virus before it can take hold, replicate, and make you sick.
                                        Congratulations! Now, you’re immune to COVID! You’ve got the blueprints to defeat it as soon as it enters your body.

What if the virus mutates so it doesn’t produce the asshole protein any more? Well, since it uses the asshole protein to get into your cells, if it mutates away from the asshole protein, it’ll probably also be less infectious. That’s what makes the vaccine low-key brilliant.
                                        Last edited by AllexxisF1; Dec 21, 2020, 05:45 AM.

Comment

This.

Proteins act on a lock-and-key design where, in the case of a virus, there are certain surface proteins that act as a key to other surface proteins on your cells to "unlock" them and allow the injection of their genetic code for the hijacking of your cellular machinery to make virus copies.

If you introduce genetic code that isn't the whole virus, but just that particular surface protein that it uses to enter your cells, then that's how you end up with 90-95% efficacy (compared to the shotgun blast of flu vaccines where they're never sure what strains are going to be circulating). It's extremely specific to that one protein that's ultimately the problem.

Now, there always a minuscule chance that the spike protein on COVID-19 could mutate to become a "better" key for the lock (as we're talking molecular interactions here), the most likely outcome of a mutation would be worse key for the lock (and hence, less infectious). This latter path is the most likely way COVID-19 will go as mutations are random chance driven by "survival of the fittest" evolutionary path. If the current spike protein gets blocked by massive immunity across humans, the most likely mutation will be to a lesser infectious strain that doesn't produce the same scary outcomes (i.e., see the common cold - it doesn't kill you, it's annoying, but yet it still happily survives and reproduces). COVID-19 is likely to follow that same path more so than the extraordinary chance that it develops a better spike protein (as there are limitations to what the surface proteins on your cells will accept, so there really can't be that much variation - it's much more likely that a crap key that fumbles with the lock, but can wedge it open a bit is more preferable than not being able to open it at all and so allows the virus to minimally survive/reproduce than a better key being created as there is no brain at work here - it's just chance and the natural interactions of molecules).

Comment

Moderna

covid-19-coronavirus-moderna-vaccine-fda-approval

Unlike Pfizer, Moderna has preliminary data that suggest its vaccine stops infection, not just symptoms.

Some early data suggest that the Moderna vaccine might protect vaccinated people from asymptomatic infections as well as symptomatic disease. While it’s clear that the vaccine, along with Pfizer’s, prevents people from developing COVID-19 symptoms, stopping infections entirely is crucial to curb the coronavirus’ spread and build immunity in communities.

Of more than 14,000 people who received a placebo, 38 tested positive for the coronavirus — without showing symptoms — after their first injection but before their second. Only 14 who received the Moderna vaccine, however, were asymptomatic carriers of the virus when those people were tested before their second dose, the company reported. That two-third reduction in COVID-19 cases without symptoms in the vaccine arm of the trial compared with the placebo group hints that some infections could be prevented, even after a single vaccine dose.

Pfizer hasn’t yet released any data showing whether its vaccine prevents asymptomatic COVID-19 cases. But because it works much like Moderna’s does, “I don’t think there’s any reason to believe that there will be a difference between the two,” Naggie says.
                                            A hobbiest foundry and forge in progress, plans, suppliers, showcasing ideas

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire

Comment

Originally posted by Munkus View Post
                                              Mrs. Munkus and I are getting better, aside from the lingering effects of fatigue and dizziness. We just take it day by day.
                                              Good news bud.

Comment

dont delete your post cbs, i whole heartily say **** toronto, **** brampton. Thanks to our classy citiots, our entire province basically gets lockdowned.
                                                Last edited by Higgy10; Dec 23, 2020, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Lying in a hospital bed with an oxygen tube hugging her nostrils, the Black patient gazed into her smartphone and, with a strained voice, complained of an experience all too common among Black people in America.

Susan Moore, the patient, said the white doctor at the hospital in suburban Indianapolis where she was being treated for Covid-19 had downplayed her complaints of pain. He told her that he felt uncomfortable giving her more narcotics, she said, and suggested that she would be discharged.

“I was crushed,” she said in a video posted to Facebook. “He made me feel like I was a drug addict.”

In her post, which has since circulated widely on social media, she showed a command of complicated medical terminology and an intricate knowledge of treatment protocols as she detailed the ways in which she had advocated for herself with the medical staff. She knew what to ask for because she, too, was a medical doctor.

But that was not enough to get her treatment and respect she said she deserved. “I put forth and I maintain if I was white,” she said in the video, “I wouldn’t have to go through that.”

After Dr. Moore, 52, complained about her treatment, she received care that she said “adequately treated” her pain. She was eventually sent home, and on Sunday, just more than two weeks after posting the video, Dr. Moore died of complications from Covid-19, said her son, Henry Muhammed.

More to the story in this link

Sad story about a problem that many people of color face when they're not believed about the symptoms they're experiencing and not given the same level of care/medicine that a white patient would receive in the same situation seemingly based upon a flawed suspicion that they're exaggerating their pain levels in order to score more narcotics... This is what systemic racism looks like.

Feel for her and her family because this all doesn't have to happen this way.,...
                                                  | Fractal Design Define R5 | ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD 5800x 3D w/ Noctua DH-15 | 16GB G.Skill Flare-X | Aorus 2080 Super Waterforce Edition | HP Omen 27i |

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."

Comment

Originally posted by Jay20016 View Post
                                                    Lying in a hospital bed with an oxygen tube hugging her nostrils, the Black patient gazed into her smartphone and, with a strained voice, complained of an experience all too common among Black people in America.

Susan Moore, the patient, said the white doctor at the hospital in suburban Indianapolis where she was being treated for Covid-19 had downplayed her complaints of pain. He told her that he felt uncomfortable giving her more narcotics, she said, and suggested that she would be discharged.

“I was crushed,” she said in a video posted to Facebook. “He made me feel like I was a drug addict.”

In her post, which has since circulated widely on social media, she showed a command of complicated medical terminology and an intricate knowledge of treatment protocols as she detailed the ways in which she had advocated for herself with the medical staff. She knew what to ask for because she, too, was a medical doctor.

But that was not enough to get her treatment and respect she said she deserved. “I put forth and I maintain if I was white,” she said in the video, “I wouldn’t have to go through that.”

After Dr. Moore, 52, complained about her treatment, she received care that she said “adequately treated” her pain. She was eventually sent home, and on Sunday, just more than two weeks after posting the video, Dr. Moore died of complications from Covid-19, said her son, Henry Muhammed.

More to the story in this link

Sad story about a problem that many people of color face when they're not believed about the symptoms they're experiencing and not given the same level of care/medicine that a white patient would receive in the same situation seemingly based upon a flawed suspicion that they're exaggerating their pain levels in order to score more narcotics... This is what systemic racism looks like.

Feel for her and her family because this all doesn't have to happen this way.,...
                                                    That is just tragic and disgustingly sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Higgy10 View Post
                                                      dont delete your post cbs, i whole heartily say **** toronto, **** brampton. Thanks to our classy citiots, our entire province basically gets lockdowned.
                                                      Absolutely. I just didn't like the way I worded my deleted post and couldn't find a way to make it not seem targeted at someone who didn't deserve it.

But yeah, lockdown for everyone now because an entitled bunch decided they didn't have to follow protocol for the greater good. This is why we can't have nice things.
                                                      "When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert's pointy hair boss

"Relationships are like dormant volcanoes, most of the time things are fine or manageable but there's always a chance she blows molten crazy all over you." - ice

Comment

Doctors just woke my niece from a medically induced coma - they saved her life - and her parents are the only ones who can visit, one at a time, once per day. Her Dad just tested positive for covid 19, so he and my sis-in law are quarantined, under the same roof, opposite ends of the house, and no one can go in to see my niece.

Man, didn't they go through enough almost losing their daughter? Now covid...This isn't how I would wish the year to end for anyone.

Comment

Wow. That is quite sad.

Comment

It doesn't sit well that just because he said no more narcotics that he is automatically racist. I've personally seen a doctor refuse more pain medication to a family member after collar bone surgery because of timing and I've had a family member die because the the doctor didn't know how to say no.

This is quite the accusation to make based on the information provided.

Comment

Doctors just woke my niece from a medically induced coma - they saved her life - and her parents are the only ones who can visit, one at a time, once per day. Her Dad just tested positive for covid 19, so he and my sis-in law are quarantined, under the same roof, opposite ends of the house, and no one can go in to see my niece.

Man, didn't they go through enough almost losing their daughter? Now covid...This isn't how I would wish the year to end for anyone.
                                                              so sorry to hear about your troubles, Lazy. Sincerely hope everything gets "fixed" soon for everyone involved.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Time is the school in which we learn, Time is the fire in which we burn. *Delmore Schwartz*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Comment

Originally posted by Silent-Runner View Post
                                                                so sorry to hear about your troubles, Lazy. Sincerely hope everything gets "fixed" soon for everyone involved.
                                                                Me too... thanks my friend

They're staying strong all things considered.

Comment

That's great they saved your niece, but sucks they got Covid. Even though they are at opposite ends of the house it doesn't seem to matter how careful you are. This thing is the most contagious disease known (maybe measles is more slightly?) and if they are under the same roof, they are all going to get it unless they live in vacuum chambers.

It really sucks.
                                                                  ~Mr. Myagi.

~George Carlin

Comment

That's great they saved your niece, but sucks they got Covid. Even though they are at opposite ends of the house it doesn't seem to matter how careful you are. This thing is the most contagious disease known (maybe measles is more slightly?) and if they are under the same roof, they are all going to get it unless they live in vacuum chambers.

It really sucks.
                                                                    It does...but we're trying to stay positive. They're all still above ground .... And my wife's sister just tested negative again. We will take any good news we can get ya know?

Comment

Co-worker both parents died of covid-19 in the past couple of days: his gofund me for his dad's funeral costs now is updated to include his mom's

Comment

Originally posted by Java Cool Dude View Post
                                                                        Co-worker both parents died of covid-19 in the past couple of days: his gofund me for his dad's funeral costs now is updated to include his mom's

Comment

Originally posted by Java Cool Dude View Post
                                                                          I mean, yeah, sure, there's benefits to a shaved asshole. But get a little sweaty and try and blow a fart. It just sits there like a bubble. No hair to break the seal. Feels weird.

Alpha
                                                                          | Mobo: MSI P6N-SLI | CPU: Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.2ghz | Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) G.Skill DDR2-800 | Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTX | Hard Drive(s): 2xMaxtor 200GB | Sound: Onboard 7.1 HD | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 | PSU: OCZ GameXstream 700w | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Vista Home Premium |

Omega

| Mobo: Asus A8V S939 VIA K8T800 Pro | CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Manchester" | Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ PC3200 Platinum | Video Card: BBA AIW X800 XT | Hard Drive(s): Maxtor 100GB + Maxtor 200GB + WD 120GB | Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | DVD Reader: Memorex Generic | Case: Antec Lifestyle Sonata II | PSU: Antec 450w SmartPower 2.0 | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition |

Comment

It does...but we're trying to stay positive. They're all still above ground .... And my wife's sister just tested negative again. We will take any good news we can get ya know?
                                                                            So much for being positive... now she's tested positive too....

Comment

So much for being positive... now she's tested positive too....
                                                                              Keep being positive homie. Hopefully it’ll just be a mild case.

Alpha

Omega

Comment

Keep being positive homie. Hopefully it’ll just be a mild case.
                                                                                Yep still hoping. Giving him a rash of **** on the phone now for not being able to keep his paws off his wife for a week

Comment

annnnd just found out - 2 of my wife's sisters, their husbands, one nephew and his wife, one niece and her husband, and a couple of the kids, all got positive test results today. So practically her entire immediate family nearby discounting me and our kids are all infected.

The primary bright spot at the moment is that none need hospitalization for the time being.

C'mon vaccine...we need you....

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  X