Announcement

Collapse

Attention! Please read before posting news!

We at Rage3D require that news posts be formatted in a particular way, so before you begin contributing to the front page, we ask that you study the Rage3D News Formatting Guide first.

Thanks for reading!
See more
See less

AMD FX-9590 hits 5GHz with 8 cores, shipping through Value Added Resellers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMD FX-9590 hits 5GHz with 8 cores, shipping through Value Added Resellers

No word on TDP or recommended cooling solutions for these likely specially binned Piledriver FX's CPU's:

E3 -- AMD today unveiled its most powerful member of the legendary AMD FX family of CPUs, the world's first commercially available 5 GHz CPU processor, the AMD FX-9590. These 8-core CPUs deliver new levels of gaming and multimedia performance for desktop enthusiasts. AMD FX-9000 Series CPUs will be available initially in PCs through system integrators.

"At E3 this week, AMD demonstrated why it is at the core of gaming," said Bernd Lienhard, corporate vice president and general manager, Client Products Division at AMD. "The new FX 5 GHz processor is an emphatic performance statement to the most demanding gamers seeking ultra-high resolution experiences including AMD Eyefinity technology. This is another proud innovation for AMD in delivering the world's first commercially available 5 GHz processor."

"AMD continues to push the envelope when it comes to desktop capabilities and power performance," said Wallace Santos, CEO and founder of MAINGEAR. "In unveiling the world's first 5 GHz 8-core CPU, AMD continues to lead the way in innovation while providing our customers with a best-in-class experience. We are thrilled to be part of this exciting launch."

The new 5 GHz FX-9590 and 4.7 GHz FX-9370 feature the "Piledriver" architecture, are unlocked for easy overclocking and pave the way for enthusiasts to enjoy higher CPU speeds and related performance gains1. Additionally, these processors feature AMD Turbo Core 3.0 technology to dynamically optimize performance across CPU cores and enable maximum computing for the most intensive workloads.

AMD was the first to break the 1 GHz barrier in May of 2000 and continues to set the standard in technology innovation including the first Windows compatible 64-bit PC processor and the first native dual-core and quad-core processors. AMD also introduced the first APU (unifying CPU and Radeon™ graphics on the same chip) and the first x86 quad-core SoC, continuing forward with HSA architectures and programming models.

The new AMD FX CPUs will be available from system integrators globally beginning this summer. Two models will be available:
    • FX-9590: Eight "Piledriver" cores, 5 GHz Max Turbo
    • FX-9370: Eight "Piledriver" cores, 4.7 GHz Max Turbo

Source - AMD Press Release

I noticed it said distribution through their system integrators initially? - Does that mean Newegg will get these eventually? Just curious as could/would be very interested in the 5Ghz cpu depending on price point.

Comment

Originally posted by Dayblade View Post
      I noticed it said distribution through their system integrators initially? - Does that mean Newegg will get these eventually? Just curious as could/would be very interested in the 5Ghz cpu depending on price point.
      No retail sales at this time, going to VAR/SI's first because they can use them the most to get systems out there.

I do expect a retail launch at some point, probably with liquid cooler.

Comment

I read an article with very high resolutions benchmarks like 1920x1080, 4000x and 5000x with 2x 7970 cfs..Also the CPU's were an FX8350 vs I5 3500 series...The FX8350 had an oc to 4.4 ghz..At this clock the FPS gain over stock was neglijable...I see the new FX 9000 at 5ghz kinda useless release unless your are really a collector or an AMD enthuazist..
        Last edited by badsykes; Jun 12, 2013, 12:26 AM.
        "There is no beggining, and there is no end.There is no alpha, and there is no omega.You never began, and you will never end."

Comment

Well, some games are heavily dependent on that single threaded cpu performance. For example civilization 5 (and 4). So this might be good. Also this will have what, 140W TDP? And 200W power draw?

Comment

I read TDP is about 220
            Last edited by Megaman; Jun 12, 2013, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Megaman View Post
              I read TDP is about 220
              If thats true then special mobos on the way I sense an upgrade
              3 Sony PlayStation 3 60GBs Artic Silver since Jan 2011.
              Sony PlayStation 2, Sega Saturn, X-Eye, DC. Nintendo consoles NES, SNES, N64, GC. NEC Turbo Duo
              AMD A10-6700, AMD A8-3520m, AMD Phenom II X6 1100t X4 980, Athlon X2 6400+, Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 EVGA FTW, GeForce GTS 250 1GB

"Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
              If anything there's just still too many guilible people in the fanbase willing to accept this garbage star wars disney/Kennedy edition."

Helghast... till the end of days!!
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruxcT6LEVzk Disney Star Wars SUCKS
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESGXTFFZXM Kaz PTVD
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogMXzbz9js
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--rU3Wq3WU My Bugatti V

Comment

Originally posted by Akumajo View Post
                If thats true then special mobos on the way I sense an upgrade
                Aye,tis true Captain.

http://www.pcper.com/news/Processors...90-and-FX-9370

Comment

A manufacturer warranted 5GHz proc & mobo combination could be attractive for some people. Depends on the cost.

Comment

Not cheap I suspect. But that will be one power hungry PC. They should give you a complimentary water cooling system with every purchase

Comment

Imagine this CPU with tri GTX 480 SLI....power consumption would be sky rocket! And it would be useful to be a heater for winter time.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
                      Xigamtek Knight cooler
                      ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
                      G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
                      Intel 530 240GB SSD
                      XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
                      Antec Truepower 750W
                      NZXT Source 210
                      Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
                      Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
                      G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
                      Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
                      Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
                      Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
                      EVGA SuperNova 650W
                      NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
                      Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
                      Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210

Comment

Originally posted by Megaman View Post
                        Not cheap I suspect. But that will be one power hungry PC. They should give you a complimentary water cooling system with every purchase
                        I'd sell it as a package with a CL WC like there is for the FX 8350, but a 200mm rad design. Or as bare CPU, lapped.

Comment

Originally posted by Treeckcold57 View Post
                          Imagine this CPU with tri GTX 480 SLI....power consumption would be sky rocket! And it would be useful to be a heater for winter time.

Imagine using that in the summer with no AC

I hope this performs well and sells decent but AMD also needs to do a die shrink to get standard retail 5Ghz 8 core chips with lower TDPs but eh... not holding my breath
                          3 Sony PlayStation 3 60GBs Artic Silver since Jan 2011.
                          Sony PlayStation 2, Sega Saturn, X-Eye, DC. Nintendo consoles NES, SNES, N64, GC. NEC Turbo Duo
                          AMD A10-6700, AMD A8-3520m, AMD Phenom II X6 1100t X4 980, Athlon X2 6400+, Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 EVGA FTW, GeForce GTS 250 1GB

"Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
                          If anything there's just still too many guilible people in the fanbase willing to accept this garbage star wars disney/Kennedy edition."

Helghast... till the end of days!!
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruxcT6LEVzk Disney Star Wars SUCKS
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESGXTFFZXM Kaz PTVD
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogMXzbz9js
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--rU3Wq3WU My Bugatti V

Comment

Working...
                          X