Announcement

Collapse

Attention! Please read before posting news!

We at Rage3D require that news posts be formatted in a particular way, so before you begin contributing to the front page, we ask that you study the Rage3D News Formatting Guide first.

Thanks for reading!
See more
See less

Microsoft Patents GPU Accelerated Video Encoding; No More Free GPU Video Transcoding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft Patents GPU Accelerated Video Encoding; No More Free GPU Video Transcoding?

In October 2004, Microsoft Corp. applied for a patent to cover a process it called 'Accelerated video encoding using a graphics processing unit', which it was granted today. This could potentially impact all current GPU-accelerated video encoding is performed, from AMD's free Video Transcoder (formerly known as ATI AVIVO encoder), to Cyberlink and ArcSoft's ATI STREAM and NVIDIA CUDA enhanced applications.

Microsoft has been granted a key patent that defines one of the primary uses of graphics processors in the future: Video encoding.

Microsoft applied for the patent titled “Accelerated video encoding using a graphics processing unit” in October 2004 and was granted a patent to its invention today. It outlines a concept where the GPU is used, among others, to perform motion estimation in videos, the use of the depth buffer of the GPU, to determine comprising, collocating video frames, mapping pixels to texels, frame processing using the GPU and output of data to the CPU.

The patent appears to cover all bases of GPU-accelerated video encoding, which hands Microsoft the rights to a major technology that already impacts prosumer applications and is making its way into the mainstream as we are moving into HD and beyond. Especially with the arrival of 3D, video encoders will depend on GPU acceleration to achieve reasonable video rendering times.

Full story and details of the patent here.

why they didn't patent the ****ing air in process?

Down with monopolists.

Comment

What B.S.! This is like patenting playgrounds vice a given design. Patent office really SUCKS! Maybe report is misleading and MS has something else in mind. Wait why not patent Operating Systems?
      Ryzen 1700x 3.9ghz, Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro, Asus CrossHair 6 Hero 9, 16gb DDR4 3200 @ 3466, EVGA 1080 Ti, 950w PC pwr & cooling PS, 1TB NVMe Intel SSD M2 Drive + 256mb Mushkin SSD + 512gb Samsung 850evo M.2 in enclosure for Sata III and 2x 1tb WD SATA III, 34" Dell " U3415W IPS + 27" IPS YHAMAKASI Catleap. Win10 Pro

Custom SFF built case, I7 6700k OC 4.4ghz, PowerColor R9 Nano,, 1TB NVMe Intel SSD M2 Drive, 16gb DDR 4 3000 Corsair LPX, LG 27" 4K IPS FreeSync 10bit monitor, Win 10

Comment

I guess they patented a specific technique or algorythm, not the whole concept of using a GPU for video encoding. This just can't be done, I think.

Would be like patenting:
        - The monitor in front of you so you can check what is going on inside your PC;
        - The concept of using your computer to have your work done;
        - The idea of having your TV, fridge, computer and pressing iron plugged into the wall outlets.

||my games:_www.mynightjobgame.com__www.chameleongame.com__www.minihuntgame.com
        || Witcher 3 ::: Unreal Engine 4
        || MSI Ge62 2QE ::: i7-4720 ::: 16GB DDR3 ::: GTX965m ::: Evo850 500GB ssd
        || ::: New 3DS cfw Luma :::
        ||____________________________________________________________________________________________

Comment

I'm going to retrospectively patent software which is a system for operating a computer ... Perhaps I will call it an operating system or something crazy like that. Lets see how they like that
          I do work for AMD
          AMD/ATI Beta Tester

Comment

Yes, great. If at least anybody considered software patents only work in USA. But apparently the rest of the world doesnt matter.

Comment

lol, MS isn't a hardware company and made this a trolling patient?

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
              Xigamtek Knight cooler
              ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
              G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
              Intel 530 240GB SSD
              XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
              Antec Truepower 750W
              NZXT Source 210
              Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
              Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
              G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
              Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
              Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
              Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
              EVGA SuperNova 650W
              NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
              Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
              Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210

Comment

Originally posted by Treeckcold57 View Post
                lol, MS isn't a hardware company and made this a trolling patient?
                MS is hardware company dear sir ...
                even the first MS two button mouse sold millions and that was ages ago
                Ideas are like ocean without borders ! [O] https://twitter.com/FoltynD
                I support Open Game Protocol
                RX 585 1.5GHz /8GHz 8GB vstackedGGDR5, 6xDisplayPort 1.4 (HDMI 2.1 & DVI-D dongles included) with SILENT cooling! cmon baby
                needed CCC features == online up2date Game profiles or ALL features of ATT / RadeonPro (if you fail deliver don't even try say You got technical advantage)

Comment

I don't know if this patent is applicable. Patents are written in a way that makes them nearly impossible to understand by a layperson. That's one of the bad things about them.

In this case, it's possible that the language is limiting enough that it won't apply in many cases. For example, it may be that if the GPU is described a parallel computing device programmed in a language specific to that (Fermi and CUDA) then the patent won't apply.

I hope that's the case, but really, if there's a reason to get rid of patents it's their utter unreadability.
                  ET's place
                  ET's competition list

Comment

The Core Value: Non-Aggression :(

Originally posted by HyperNovae
                    Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.

Comment

Wow...

Applied for in 2004...

Granted in 2010...

I guess the patent office usually rushes Apple patents through the door...

It does make sense on the timeline though, since Vista aka Longhorn was in development and the GPU was being tasked with actually drawing the desktop, and playing movies via DirectX...

Edit:

Wtf AMD even killed off AVIVO??? Then they renamed it to that lame assedness...
                      Last edited by gamefoo21; Oct 14, 2010, 07:15 AM.
                      "Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only that the cat died nobly." - Arnold Edinborough

Heatware

Comment

Originally posted by gamefoo21 View Post
                        I guess the patent office usually rushes Apple patents through the door...
                        This week Apple got a patent for “Portable Electronic Device with Multi-Touch Input”.

I assume they filed an application a long time ago...

Comment

The Apple patent trolls did there trolling on: December 29, 2006

So... Considerably faster... I wonder how many palms, Apple has to grease for the speedy treatment.
                          "Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only that the cat died nobly." - Arnold Edinborough

Heatware

Comment

Working...
                          X