Announcement

Collapse

Attention! Please read before posting news!

We at Rage3D require that news posts be formatted in a particular way, so before you begin contributing to the front page, we ask that you study the Rage3D News Formatting Guide first.

Thanks for reading!
See more
See less

HD 6000 Series To Launch In November, HD 5000 Price Cuts Coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HD 6000 Series To Launch In November, HD 5000 Price Cuts Coming?

Speculation from Digitimes has HD 5000 price cuts coming as AMD prepares to launch the new HD 6000 series of cards in November this year:

Graphics card vendors are expected to start selling AMD's next-generation GPU (Southern Islands) in November with AMD to officially announce the series in October, according to sources from graphics card players.

To defend its market share, AMD plans to cut prices for its ATI Radeon HD 5000-series GPUs in the near future. The action also serves as preparation for the upcoming Southern Islands GPUs, the sources noted.

AMD originally planned to have its next-generation GPUs using 32nm process and codenamed the chips Northern Islands, but Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) skipped its 32nm R&D for GPUs and advanced directly to 28nm R&D. In response AMD adjusted its plans and decided to continue adopting a 40nm process, while changing the product's codename to Southern Islands, the sources explained.

AMD declined the opportunity to respond to this report saying it cannot comment on unannounced products.

Source - Digitimes

november? Don't think so, 4 months before launch of gpu there is usually plenty of info and so far we only have info about manufacturing process.

Comment

Not true, there wasn't much info at all about the 5xxx cards before launch til right near the end when some douche press leaked info.
      I do work for AMD
      AMD/ATI Beta Tester

Comment

Originally posted by DaNdo View Post
        november? Don't think so, 4 months before launch of gpu there is usually plenty of info and so far we only have info about manufacturing process.
        We'll see come November, won't we?

Comment

ATi likes to release their new line right around that time, lets hope so. We should see price cuts then shortly if write up is somewhat correct. About time, when else has a generation of cards gone up in price and stayed there?
          Ryzen 1700x 3.9ghz, Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro, Asus CrossHair 6 Hero 9, 16gb DDR4 3200 @ 3466, EVGA 1080 Ti, 950w PC pwr & cooling PS, 1TB NVMe Intel SSD M2 Drive + 256mb Mushkin SSD + 512gb Samsung 850evo M.2 in enclosure for Sata III and 2x 1tb WD SATA III, 34" Dell " U3415W IPS + 27" IPS YHAMAKASI Catleap. Win10 Pro

Custom SFF built case, I7 6700k OC 4.4ghz, PowerColor R9 Nano,, 1TB NVMe Intel SSD M2 Drive, 16gb DDR 4 3000 Corsair LPX, LG 27" 4K IPS FreeSync 10bit monitor, Win 10

Comment

Originally posted by noko View Post
            About time, when else has a generation of cards gone up in price and stayed there?
            I can't remember one.

Comment

Alright, I have to quote and BOLD here...For you, folks. Your title is misleading. :P

Graphics card vendors are expected to start selling AMD's next-generation GPU (Southern Islands) in November with AMD to officially announce the series in October, according to sources from graphics card players.

To defend its market share, AMD plans to cut prices for its ATI Radeon HD 5000-series GPUs in the near future. The action also serves as preparation for the upcoming Southern Islands GPUs, the sources noted.

AMD originally planned to have its next-generation GPUs using 32nm process and codenamed the chips Northern Islands, but Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) skipped its 32nm R&D for GPUs and advanced directly to 28nm R&D. In response AMD adjusted its plans and decided to continue adopting a 40nm process, while changing the product's codename to Southern Islands, the sources explained.

AMD declined the opportunity to respond to this report saying it cannot comment on unannounced products.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
              Xigamtek Knight cooler
              ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
              G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
              Intel 530 240GB SSD
              XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
              Antec Truepower 750W
              NZXT Source 210
              Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
              Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
              G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
              Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
              Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
              Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
              EVGA SuperNova 650W
              NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
              Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
              Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210

Comment

october is paper lunch and november worldwide availability ?

acroig: i was happy to see that for the first in my computer life i saw a vga jump in price after initial lunch and stay there... i was like a cheshire cat in the tree with a big grin smile..hihihi
                "There is no beggining, and there is no end.There is no alpha, and there is no omega.You never began, and you will never end."

Comment

this is going to be like 4890 to a 4870 type of thing or a larger buff?

im out of the loop, and im itching for a new card by the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Treeckcold57 View Post
                    Alright, I have to quote and BOLD here...For you, folks. Your title is misleading. :P
                    Launch is cards in retailers.

Announcement is not launching.

Comment

Wouldn't mind picking up another 5870 if the price is right.

I'm going to guess they'll drop to $199 before they're phased out. I hope I'm right!

Comment

Pretty interested in seeing how powerful these new cards are going to be. I pushed my 5000s enough that I ended up wanting more power and wasn't patient enough to wait for the 6000s (among other reasons). I don't have the budget to switch again come November (have to purchase a Minivan that month), so I'm curious to see how these do as to how much they improve over my old 5000s and my current cards. Very exciting though. Especially when you consider that ATI's problem has never been the hardware itself.
                        My Dealings

Comment

Do we know that these will be HD6000 parts, or will they be 5890/5990s?

Comment

Originally posted by Targon View Post
                            Do we know that these will be HD6000 parts, or will they be 5890/5990s?
                            We know nothing.

Comment

but really, 40nm process offered everything it could already. I don't expect anything spectacular.

Comment

but really, 40nm process offered everything it could already. I don't expect anything spectacular.
                                On what basis do you come to that conclusion? The process doesn't really have to do with it - Cypres vs. Fermi, for example. Same process...

Comment

Originally posted by caveman-jim View Post
                                  On what basis do you come to that conclusion? The process doesn't really have to do with it - Cypres vs. Fermi, for example. Same process...
                                  I meant to say: just 1 year for making completely new line of gpu's without introducing new manufacturing process is likely not to result in shocking level of advancement from previous versions.
                                  Last edited by DaNdo; Aug 14, 2010, 08:34 AM.

Comment

While still speculation I think this article does add the basic for the take on die size and what to expect. Speculation and rumors are always subject to being dead wrong but this is still a good read.

http://www.thinq.co.uk/2010/8/13/rum...ctober-launch/

Code:
                                    Sidebar: We could start a rumor that the HD 6000 only support 720P. 

[URL]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105359[/URL]

Wonder if Microsoft will claim they own the name 'HD 6000'. :lol:

Did you know that the HD-6000 is a four element flat yagi!

[URL]http://winegard.com/offair/radio.php[/URL]
                                    Originally posted by caveman-jim View Post
                                    Last edited by grog; Aug 14, 2010, 10:11 AM.
                                    No longer here

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
                                      While still speculation I think this article does add the basic for the take on die size and what to expect. Speculation and rumors are always subject to being dead wrong but this is still a good read.

Code:

What's up with that quote?

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
                                      Xigamtek Knight cooler
                                      ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
                                      G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
                                      Intel 530 240GB SSD
                                      XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
                                      Antec Truepower 750W
                                      NZXT Source 210
                                      Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
                                      Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
                                      G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
                                      Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
                                      Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
                                      Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
                                      EVGA SuperNova 650W
                                      NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
                                      Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
                                      Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post

Code:

hmm interesting, but I remain doubtful:

"Rather than squeezing in a few hundred more stream processors, which would be a tough job without the aforementioned die-shrink, the new GPUs are expected to reduce the power consumption and heat output compared with their predecessors"

the HD5000 series is among the best perf to watt ratio products ever amd heat is hardly an issue, unless somehow ATI is looking to outright strip nV from nearly all OEM markets with substantial power/heat (which they already do for the most part) improvements.. I just don't see it happening. I mean IF Ati delivers 10% performance increase at 50% less power and heat, then yeah NV would be in serious trouble in the OEM space, however it also leaves open the possibility for much higher clocked parts to take the performance positions.
                                        Fermi Paradox*: "The apparent size and age of Fermi die suggests that many technologically advanced GPUs ought to exist.
                                        However, this hypothesis seems inconsistent with the lack of observational evidence to support it."

Comment

I meant to say: just 1 year for making completely new line of gpu's without introducing new manufacturing process is likely not to result in shocking level of advancement from previous versions.

Considering the die size of Cypress, quite a bit of room left.

Comment

Originally posted by badsykes View Post
                                            acroig: i was happy to see that for the first in my computer life i saw a vga jump in price after initial lunch and stay there... i was like a cheshire cat in the tree with a big grin smile..hihihi
                                            Yeah, I bet!

Comment

Working...
                                            X