Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any high end cards coming out with lower power consumption?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Any high end cards coming out with lower power consumption?

    Will future cards be coming out with lower power consumption?

    For example, would a process shrink on the GPU result in less power consumption? So that a future version of the 8800 say, would have equivalent performance but use less power?

    Thank you

    #2
    yes thats the general trend and reasoning behind going to smaller processes. If a g80 is die shrunk it will consume less power , but that all depends if lets say 2 shader clusters are added on top of the die shrink and or clock speeds are increased, we might not see much of change in power consumption, but an increase in performance.
    Last edited by razor1; Dec 21, 2006, 03:01 PM.


    Originally posted by silent_guy
    What exactly do you think would happen if you *did* connect a large load? The arrival of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?
    Originally posted by Charlie
    Contrast that with the GT300 approach. There is no dedicated tesselator, and if you use that DX11 feature, it will take large amounts of shader time, used inefficiently as is the case with general purpose hardware. You will then need the same shaders again to render the triangles. 250K to 1 Million triangles on the GT300 should be notably slower than straight 1 Million triangles.
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1137331/a-look-nvidia-gt300-architecture

    Originally posted by Corum Jhaelen Irsei
    and you tell me I am in for a suprise? It is the FX; Late, hot, needing insane clock rates for its size. You have yet to show even one of my posts wrong.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by razor1 View Post
      yes thats the general trend and reasoning behind going to smaller processes. If a g80 is die shrunk it will consume less power , but that all depends if lets say 2 shader clusters are added on top of the die shrink and or clock speeds are increased, we might not see much of change in power consumption, but an increase in performance.
      Generally that's true, but it has to be done well, unless you end up with a die shrink like Intel did with the Prescott core.
      Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 w Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3 GHz
      2x1Gb Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066
      Sapphire HD4870x2 @ stock
      Creative X-Fi Extreme music
      Samsung SyncMaster 245B+, 24"@1920x1200
      PC P&C 750W PSU
      Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit Retail

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Jabuka View Post
        Generally that's true, but it has to be done well, unless you end up with a die shrink like Intel did with the Prescott core.
        But nvidia have done well on 7900 series from 7800 series. I believe it would be the same with 8800 refresh
        Originally posted by jimjobob
        If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

        (a) Mmmm donuts
        (b) 70c
        (c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
        (d) Must use fire.

        Comment


          #5
          That`s a buy argument for me too. I got a OCZ 520 Watts PSU that poweres my system just fine and has some headroom still.
          It prolly would run a 8800 GTX but i can`t be sure and it would be on the edge.
          I am not willing to shell out another 150 bucks fora new PSU just for a GPU update.

          The CPU producers saw that problem and started working towards lower consumption. The GPU manufacturers head towards more and more power consumption atm. Not long and we`ll face megawatt PCs if it continues like this!

          If i can get a refresh of the G80 with x1900 XTish power consumption and it is not a LOT slower then the R600 i know where my money will goto.
          Intel i7 3770k @4.7Ghz (water), 16GB
          Sapphire Radeon Fury X (EK-fullcover)

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by mustrum View Post
            That`s a buy argument for me too. I got a OCZ 520 Watts PSU that poweres my system just fine and has some headroom still.
            It prolly would run a 8800 GTX but i can`t be sure and it would be on the edge.
            Are you joking?

            Comment


              #7
              Let me ask a more specific question.

              When are Nvidia and ATI coming out with cards that are manufactured with a smaller process technology? Below 90 nanometer?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by benoit View Post
                Let me ask a more specific question.

                When are Nvidia and ATI coming out with cards that are manufactured with a smaller process technology? Below 90 nanometer?
                linky
                Praise be to the God and father of our lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

                Comment


                  #9
                  i found out the 1950pro is only 80 nanometer, but 8800 is still at 90nm.

                  Guess these GPUs will use a lot less power when they go to 65nm, whenever that is.
                  Anyone know when that is?

                  I'm going to hold off upgrading from my crappy x800xl they do.
                  Last edited by benoit; Dec 30, 2006, 10:23 AM.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    yes switching to a smaller process will mean it will consume less power, but then they will jack up the clockspeeds again to gain more performance, at the cost of power savings.
                    Abort, Retry, Fail?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      the quick answer to your initial question :
                      no, no high end cards are coming out with lower power consumption...


                      if power is really an issue switch to middle to low range of gfx cards
                      Whismerhill
                      Use rep wisely, Mods are watching us ;)
                      C2D E8200/Asus Commando/2x2GB G.Skill PC8000 PQ/Gainward GTX285 2GB
                      Seasonic S12II-500HT/RAID 5 of 4 Seagate 7200.10 250 GB
                      *****
                      P-IV 3.0Ghz/Asus P4C800-E deluxe/2x512 Corsair LL Dual-DDR/Hercules 3DProphet 9700pro/Creative Audigy/two NICs
                      *****
                      AthlonXP2000+/Abit KR7A/512Mo/Radeon64VIVO/Sb128/NIC
                      *****
                      P-IV 2.8Ghz/Asus P4C800-E deluxe/2x512 Corsair LL Dual-DDR/Hercules 3DProphet 9800/integrated audio/NIC

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X