Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Front Page News News and Rage3D articles as it appears on the frontpage.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov 30, 2015, 09:12 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
bittermann
I didn't do it
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: United States Earth
Posts: 8,483
bittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound


Default AMD Hotfix Coming Today for Fan Issues

I read over the weekend of a Reddit thread where AMD users are posting that their cards were over heating and in some cases dying due to a driver bug issue with fan settings using the new Crimson drivers. I don't know much about the issue but my laptop is running fine with them. Can anyone chime in on the forums if there are certain circumstances that cause this to occur like overclocking or non-default fan profiles, etc? If so hit the forum link below and give us your wisdom!




Forum Link: AMD Crimson Drivers Thread
__________________
[This Space For Rent]
bittermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:30 AM   #2
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: United States Hartford, CT
Posts: 11,939
BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings


Default

Seems like one person on reddit making a stink. May have happened, may have been defective to begin with.

The fan bug is a legitimate issue but it should downclock.

I once saw a thread on evga forums where people were blaming a Nvidia driver for doing something to their evga x58 iirc motherboard. People later admitted to having issues beforehand.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
Good work guys, we can't have too many positive posts in a row on this forum.
BababooeyHTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2015, 01:57 PM   #3
Omega53
Rage veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: United States Northeast
Posts: 11,216
Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
Seems like one person on reddit making a stink. May have happened, may have been defective to begin with.

The fan bug is a legitimate issue but it should downclock.

I once saw a thread on evga forums where people were blaming a Nvidia driver for doing something to their evga x58 iirc motherboard. People later admitted to having issues beforehand.
Do you seriously think that AMD would post a hotfix for an issue 1 person was having
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 30, 2015, 03:00 PM   #4
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: United States phoenix
Posts: 13,954
bill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega53 View Post
Do you seriously think that AMD would post a hotfix for an issue 1 person was having
so show us 10 or 20 people with fried cards

lots have locked low fan speeds locked at 20%, but you can still set them at anything you want with afterburner

have only seen one say it fried their card, maybe it was you on reddit
or maybe just a bad card or to high of overclock
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2015, 04:33 PM   #5
WaltC
Captain Know-it-all
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: United States Deep in Martian soil where it's warm and the air is good
Posts: 2,233
WaltC is still being judged by the masses


Default

Yep, the GPU will simply shut down long before it can "burn out" due to high temps. GPUs have had safety circuitry to prevent just such an eventuality for several years now. But the reddit threads were amusing--I even read a thread somewhere by a guy whose GPU is watercooled who says the fan settings caused his WC'ed GPU to overheat to a lava-like 60C!...Bwa-hahaha---too funny! The people come out of the woodwork on something like this, don't they? Comments like "I wonder if I RMA my 290 if they'll send me a 390 back?" I often feel sorry for publicly traded tech companies when they try and explain the slightest thing to the unwashed non-technical masses. "Hey, I pushed the button but it no workee! What do I do now?"...

Talk about "hot"...my 5750 ran all day long for years @ 100C--the chip's mean temp, according to AMD. They said it was built for it and I believe them! It still works--though I've retired it from service. Card is sitting on a beach in Bermuda with a hot female pair of 7730's at his side, sipping Gin & Tonic, listening to the waves roll in...! Ah, retirement...!
__________________
**It is well-known that I am incapable of mistakes, so if you encounter a mistake in anything I have written, then you can be sure that I did not write it!
WaltC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:08 PM   #6
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 16,739
Treeckcold57 once held a door open for a complete strangerTreeckcold57 once held a door open for a complete strangerTreeckcold57 once held a door open for a complete strangerTreeckcold57 once held a door open for a complete stranger


Subscriber
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltC View Post
Yep, the GPU will simply shut down long before it can "burn out" due to high temps. GPUs have had safety circuitry to prevent just such an eventuality for several years now. But the reddit threads were amusing--I even read a thread somewhere by a guy whose GPU is watercooled who says the fan settings caused his WC'ed GPU to overheat to a lava-like 60C!...Bwa-hahaha---too funny! The people come out of the woodwork on something like this, don't they? Comments like "I wonder if I RMA my 290 if they'll send me a 390 back?" I often feel sorry for publicly traded tech companies when they try and explain the slightest thing to the unwashed non-technical masses. "Hey, I pushed the button but it no workee! What do I do now?"...

Talk about "hot"...my 5750 ran all day long for years @ 100C--the chip's mean temp, according to AMD. They said it was built for it and I believe them! It still works--though I've retired it from service. Card is sitting on a beach in Bermuda with a hot female pair of 7730's at his side, sipping Gin & Tonic, listening to the waves roll in...! Ah, retirement...!
My old HP laptop that has Radeon X1600 mobility and it ran pretty hot during playing CS:S and I didn't know what temp was it though. But it still working fine despite how hot it is. lol
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Catalyst Hotfix Coming Soon (Updated MLAA) caveman-jim AMD Radeon Software Drivers Discussion and Support 129 Nov 20, 2010 04:18 PM
AMD Catalyst 10.10D Hotfix for MLAA Coming 11/1/10 caveman-jim Front Page News 18 Nov 4, 2010 07:07 AM
Any hotfix\drivers that fix the fan issues on 3850AGP?? Cartel AMD Radeon Software Drivers Discussion and Support 1 Jun 3, 2008 12:29 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright ©1998-2011 Rage3D.com
Links monetized by VigLink