Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Front Page News News and Rage3D articles as it appears on the frontpage.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov 25, 2015, 04:07 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
bittermann
I didn't do it
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: United States Earth
Posts: 8,196
bittermann kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshbittermann kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshbittermann kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshbittermann kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshbittermann kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshbittermann kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshbittermann kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshbittermann kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshbittermann kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshbittermann kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh


Default Club 3D active adapters convert DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0

Good news for you R9 Fury X owners and others as Club 3D has finally released an active adapter going from DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 for some 4K @ 60Hz resolution goodness! The Tech Report has the scoop and the details.


The Radeon R9 Fury X shipped without HDMI 2.0 support, so AMD's top-end card couldn't drive many 4K TVs and monitors at 60Hz with an HDMI cable. Fortunately, that shortcoming can be corrected with an active adapter that converts a DisplayPort 1.2 port to HDMI 2.0. Club 3D has announced a pair of these handy adapters, one for mini DisplayPorts and one for standard-sized versions.





Source: The Tech Report
__________________
[This Space For Rent]

Last edited by bittermann : Nov 25, 2015 at 04:15 PM.
bittermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2015, 07:39 PM   #2
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts: 8,662
noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger


Default

I would be more interested in HDMI 2.0a. 2.0 is like an interim standard, 2.0a will allow protected content, 10 bit, 12 bit HDR and more importantly Chroma Subsampling of 4,4,4 vice IQ degrading 4,2,0 of HDMI 2.0.

http://www.paradetech.com/2015/08/pa...ol-converters/

HDMI 2.0 basically allows degraded image quality at 60fps on 4096x2160 UHDTVS.

About Chroma Subsampling:
http://www.5dfilmmaking.com/tut_444.htm

Last edited by noko : Nov 25, 2015 at 07:46 PM.
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2015, 01:06 AM   #3
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: United States Orlando, FL
Posts: 3,088
Exposed once held a door open for a complete strangerExposed once held a door open for a complete strangerExposed once held a door open for a complete strangerExposed once held a door open for a complete stranger


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
I would be more interested in HDMI 2.0a. 2.0 is like an interim standard, 2.0a will allow protected content, 10 bit, 12 bit HDR and more importantly Chroma Subsampling of 4,4,4 vice IQ degrading 4,2,0 of HDMI 2.0.

http://www.paradetech.com/2015/08/pa...ol-converters/

HDMI 2.0 basically allows degraded image quality at 60fps on 4096x2160 UHDTVS.

About Chroma Subsampling:
http://www.5dfilmmaking.com/tut_444.htm
Lots of misinformation here. Is it because Fury X doesn't have native HDMI 2.0 support?

All Blu Rays (highest quality of any source) ship with Chroma 4:2:0 Chroma subsampling, so nothing is "degraded" over the HDMI 2.0 spec itself.

HDCP 2.2 also specifies 4K/60 with a 4:4:4 color space, and that is part of the HDMI 2.0 spec. However, you won't see native 4:4:4 content even in UHD, because the chips do a fine job of decompressing 4:2:0 content without degradation of color loss. HDMI 2.0 specifies 18 GB/s bandwidth and that is more than enough for even 7k content.

http://hdguru.com/hdmi-2-0-what-you-need-to-know/

http://hometheaterreview.com/what-yo...about-hdmi-20/
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 2, 2015, 06:56 AM   #4
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts: 8,662
noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger


Default Confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Lots of misinformation here. Is it because Fury X doesn't have native HDMI 2.0 support?

All Blu Rays (highest quality of any source) ship with Chroma 4:2:0 Chroma subsampling, so nothing is "degraded" over the HDMI 2.0 spec itself.

HDCP 2.2 also specifies 4K/60 with a 4:4:4 color space, and that is part of the HDMI 2.0 spec. However, you won't see native 4:4:4 content even in UHD, because the chips do a fine job of decompressing 4:2:0 content without degradation of color loss. HDMI 2.0 specifies 18 GB/s bandwidth and that is more than enough for even 7k content.

http://hdguru.com/hdmi-2-0-what-you-need-to-know/

http://hometheaterreview.com/what-yo...about-hdmi-20/
Maybe, plus some confusion as well. Info was from AnAndTech:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9152/f...-hdcp-and-hevc

4:2:0 is a color compressed video signal that does indeed cause degradation. Looks like HDMI 2.0 can support 4:4:4 as an option.

HDMI 2.0a extends color to 10 bit, 12 bit and HDR - anyways read the AnAndTech article maybe that will be clearer then my confusion aspect of what is going to happen. I just can't see new UHD Blu-Ray players not supporting all those HDMI 2.0 UHDTV's that has been sold in the last several years.
__________________
FX9590 4.7ghz, Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro, Asus Sabortooth 990fx, 16gb DDR3 2400, Gigabyte 1070 G1, 950w PC pwr & cooling PS, 128gb Kingston+ 256mb Mushkin SSD and 1tb WD SATA III, 34" Dell " U3415W IPS + 27" IPS YHAMAKASI Catleap. Win10 Pro

Custom SFF built case, I7 6700k OC 4.4ghz, PowerColor R9 Nano,, 1TB NVMe Intel SSD6 M2 Drive, 16gb DDR 4 3000 Corsair LPX, LG 27" 4K IPS FreeSync 10bit monitor, Win 10
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2015, 09:47 AM   #5
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: United States Orlando, FL
Posts: 3,088
Exposed once held a door open for a complete strangerExposed once held a door open for a complete strangerExposed once held a door open for a complete strangerExposed once held a door open for a complete stranger


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
Maybe, plus some confusion as well. Info was from AnAndTech:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9152/f...-hdcp-and-hevc

4:2:0 is a color compressed video signal that does indeed cause degradation. Looks like HDMI 2.0 can support 4:4:4 as an option.

HDMI 2.0a extends color to 10 bit, 12 bit and HDR - anyways read the AnAndTech article maybe that will be clearer then my confusion aspect of what is going to happen. I just can't see new UHD Blu-Ray players not supporting all those HDMI 2.0 UHDTV's that has been sold in the last several years.
It's 4:2:0 on the media source but it's decompressed on the output source to 4:4:4 as long as the output source is HDMI 2.0 compliant and the TV has the appropriate HDMI port for it. It'll look something like this:

HDMI 1 (HDCP, ARC) 4:2:0
HDMI 2 (HDCP) 4:2:0
HDMI 3 (HDCP with 3.5mm audio in) 4:4:4 at 60Hz
HDMI 4 (HDCP 2.2, MHL) 4:2:0

HDMI 2.0a is too new and no content exists for it yet, and even the next generation UHD Blu Rays will still retain 4:2:0 compression. The goal is for 4k 60fps which eats up bandwidth and space, and the first thing to go to save space almost always the extra color detail that most people can't see anways because most TV's haven't caught up to that kind of color accuracy.

Last edited by Exposed : Dec 2, 2015 at 09:54 AM.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:29 PM   #6
guest
ATi VGA Wonder
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: United States Login Prompt
Posts: 24,917
guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger


Default

guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2016, 02:10 AM   #7
Omega53
Rage veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: United States Northeast
Posts: 11,176
Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers


Default

Now if I could only find where to buy one
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New DisplayPort adapters caveman-jim Radeon Technical Support 4 Sep 12, 2010 08:35 PM
Displayport vga adapters Bitey AMD Radeon Discussion and Support 5 Jul 1, 2010 12:14 AM
Where to get Active DP Adapters? Dyre Straits Radeon Technical Support 39 May 13, 2010 07:47 AM
Active Displayport Adapter Display issues hunuok Radeon Technical Support 3 Apr 28, 2010 03:17 PM
Are there any DisplayPort to HDMI 1.4 adapters? caveman-jim Home Theaters and Photography 8 Mar 30, 2010 11:11 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright ©1998-2011 Rage3D.com
Links monetized by VigLink