Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Front Page News News and Rage3D articles as it appears on the frontpage.

Old Apr 29, 2007, 09:33 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Exclamation Intel Releases Critical Core 2 Duo Microcode Update - Silently

Around April 10th, 2007, Intel released a microcode update (BIOS flash to the rest of us) so resolve several major issues with how Intel Core 2 series processors operate.

Intel has provided a microcode update as a critical software fix. This Intel microcode update addresses an improper Translation Lookaside Buffer (TLB) invalidation that may result in unpredictable system behavior such as system hangs or incorrect data. OEM's are making available a system BIOS upgrade that integrates a new version of this Intel microcode to address this potential but extremely rare issue. While the occurrence of this issue is extremely rare, OEM's strongly recommends upgrading the system BIOS to an updated version. Intel has indicated that the microcode update has no known measurable performance impact and provides a complete and comprehensive resolution to this issue.

The issues can affect any workstation that uses Intel Core2 Duo desktop processor E4000 and E6000 sequences, Intel Core2 Quad desktop processor Q6600 and Intel Core2 Extreme processors X6800 and QX6700 processors.

While the implications of the issue are difficult to quantify, any of the following symptoms can occur:
The system may stop responding to keyboard or mouse input.
A system operating in a Microsoft Windows environment may generate a blue screen.
A system operating in a Linux environment may generate a kernel panic.
Thanks to Guest for disclosing this information in General Hardware.

Watch for BIOS updates for your motherboards!
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 08:25 PM   #2
ShiningArcanine
Radeon R520

ShiningArcanine is still being judged by the masses

My PC has stopped responding to keyboard and mouse input several times in the past year and I had no idea what was happening. It has not happened recently, but I guess it was this.
ShiningArcanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:17 PM   #3
Briner
Goku could beat Superman

Briner is still being judged by the masses

Sorry for the old thread resurrection. I am wondering if I need to install this if I have service pack 1 installed. I have noticed my cpu not performing as well in intense situations in games and I was looking for a fix.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:56 PM   #4
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

thanks a lot, a-hole...

opened up a can of worms, :-\
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:10 PM   #5
Sobek
Radeon R700

Sobek is still being judged by the masses

True.. Strangely though just 2 days ago this very thing happened to me. My system is normally entirely stable, but for some reason intermittenly my mouse and keyboard just STOPPED responding. Everything else was ticking along fine, they just...stopped. Restarted, worked for a bit, stopped again (clean windows install too). Hasn't done it for a bit though, but it's ironic that this thread resurrection coincides with that.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 08:00 AM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briner View Post
Sorry for the old thread resurrection. I am wondering if I need to install this if I have service pack 1 installed. I have noticed my cpu not performing as well in intense situations in games and I was looking for a fix.
microcode = bios.

service pack = OS.

They are not related.

Upgrade your CPU.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 08:03 AM   #7
Blín D'ñero
HD7970 crossfire

Blín D'ñero is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
(...)

Upgrade your CPU.
= make sure you have the latest bios for your motherboard.

+ make sure you have installed the latest Intel chipset drivers.

Btw the first post isn't about cpu performance in games.
... and not concerning E8000 sequences.
Intel i7 2700K @ 4.8 Ghz | Zalman CPNS9900LED | Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z | 16 GB Corsair Dominator GT CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 DDR3 | 2 x (Sapphire) AMD Radeon HD7970 (crossfire) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro | Corsair AX 1200W | 4 x WDC WD1002FAEX | Optiarc AD 5240S | Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600 | Steelseries 7G | Razer Imperator 2012 | Coolermaster Stacker STC T01 | Logitech Z-5500 | Sennheiser HD598 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 |

Last edited by Blín D'ñero : Dec 20, 2008 at 08:06 AM.
Blín D'ñero is offline   Reply With Quote