Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » More Discussions » Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support Discussion and support forum for all of the All-In-Wonder Radeon cards, the TV-Wonder, Remote Wonder I and II, the new HDTV Wonder, and basically anything with VIVO support.

"

Old Jan 31, 2004, 03:17 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sabotage1945

Sabotage1945 is still being judged by the masses

Exclamation ATI MMC Replacements?

Does anyone here have any suggestions on which software to try/pick as a replacement for the crappy ATI Multimedia Center app?

I have found this site which seems to have a good app, but haven't yet tried it. Anyone else have any recommendations or suggestions?

http://www.snapstream.com

Also check out their "Beyon Media" product which will be out soon.

Many thanks,
Sabotage

PS: I have Windows XP MCE, but no ATI drivers to support it
Sabotage1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2004, 12:31 PM   #2
Bilar Crais
Radeon HD 6870

Bilar Crais is still being judged by the masses

BeyondTV is feature rich, I'll grant you that. But the software mpeg2 encoder is inferior to that of MMC. Ideally, it is meant for hardware encoders, such as the Happuage PVR-250. The live TV is terrible, and the mpeg2 capture is mediocre at best.

I've tried numerous alternatives to MMC, but I always come crawling back.
ABIT NF7-S v2.0 | Merlin Taipan 0.3 ed D27 BIOS | Athlon XP-M 2500 @ 200x11.5 | 2 x 512MB OCZ Dual Channel EL PC3500, 2-2-2-11 | Antec SLK3700-BQE | PVR-250 Retail | PVR-150 Retail| AVerTVHD MCE A180 | BTV 4.6| BFG 7800GS OC | ATI RW | NEC 3540A DVD | Vista Business |(2) DMax 10 6L200SO SATA 7200rpm Striped
Bilar Crais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 03:48 PM   #3
ThickHead

ThickHead is still being judged by the masses

Go for it Sabotage... but as Bilar pointed out, do yourself a favor and first get a Hauppauge PVR 250 (about $130 US for the new MCE version that even has an FM tuner) which is an MPEG2 hardware encoder that lets you do high resolution captures effortlessy. I'm using an Athlon 900 and it's only running about 35-40% CPU utilization while doing Hi-Res DVD captures/playing/pausing. Beyond TV 3.4 can convert the recorded MPEG2 streams to numerous other formats that you may want (i.e. DivX, WMV, AVI). It will serve streaming video to other PCs and you can control/access BTV remotely from the web, amazing! ATi could really learn alot from SnapStream/Hauppauge about product stability.

I switched to BTV 3.4 a few weeks ago and won't be going back to MMC anytime soon. I'm happily running a usable HTPC now, and I'm looking forward to what Beyond Media will do. I fought with MMC for 3 years on my other PC with an AIW Radeon (7200 vintage 32M DDR), and still can't use the pause Live TV function in MMC 8.6->8.8, locks up solid every time. Nobody else here seems to have the same problem and my numerous error reports to ATi have gone unanswered. So, take this first step towards implementing a usable HTPC. As for me, I'm going to let ATi finish debugging their MMC software without me.

ThickHead
40GB 5400 RPM IBM 40GV Deskstar (Acoustic Management feature enabled for quieter operation)
NEC DVD +/-RW
ATi Remote Wonder
ATi TV Wonder Pro (release 3.5 of Beyond TV will supposedly have multi-tuner support so this may become very useful then)
ThickHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 4, 2004, 10:50 PM   #4
cbuchach
Radeon HD 6770

cbuchach is still being judged by the masses

I downloaded and am trying Beyond TV now, but I can't seem to get it to run properly. What I mean by that is that the TV Video is incredibly slow. I tried turning off time-shifting and as many other things as I could but the program just gave incredibly choppy video with live TV. I am running on a very high end P4 3225 with a TV wonder pro and have never had problems like this with other TV players.

Any suggestions or similar problems?
Radeon X1900XT 512
ATI TV Wonder Pro
Pioneer 16x DVD, NEC 3500
Windows XP Professional SP2
cbuchach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 05:09 PM   #5
ThickHead

Cbuchach,
Check out the SnapStream site forums for help. It sounds like you may want to select the Intervideo MPEG2 decoder instead of the default one, also look for the registry hack to enable hardware acceleration (thread is titled something like "don't spend $40 on NVDVD...").

http://discuss2.snapstream.com/vb/index.php?

Here's a short post on video capture cards....

http://discuss2.snapstream.com/vb/sh...threadid=12673
Old Feb 5, 2004, 07:43 PM   #6
wetdagger
Radeon HD 6770

wetdagger is still being judged by the masses

I have Beyond TV 3.4.1 running on my machine... it is spectacular! ThickHead is absolutely right. I accidentally found the snapstream link early in January in these forums. What a great find that was!

It is definately the way to go right now. I can help with some of your questions too. For now, here are some pointers.

1. You should buy a hardware mpeg encoder as stated above, the software encoder will suck up your cpu. If you can afford it, get the pvr-250 from Hauppauge. I bought one on eBay for $98. This will also save you big time on your cpu usage. When I record, my machine hovers around 1%-3% cpu usage!!!

Live TV has crappy quality? Yeah right, play with your settings. I had problems at first, but once I bought the hardware encoder and used the free Intervideo DVD decoder and not ATI's, the picture was great and in my opinion beat MMC's. I did a test on the image captures and after deinterlacing found that the picture was better with BTV and the mentioned decoder.

BTV also destroys ATI on updates. Oh yeah, they even listen to their customers. I loved MMC when I had it, but after switching to SnapStream I feel like I'll never go back to MMC. I asked ATI for over a year to integrate an IR Blaster so that I could control my satellite tuner and schedule remote recordings. Well, BTV does all of that, I even schedule recordings from my cell phone.

If you have any questions, just ask away.

wd
wetdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 01:56 AM   #7
antdude
An RadeANT!

antdude is still being judged by the masses

Question Questions!

I have a few questions about Beyond TV 3 program to use with my ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro (128 MB) card.

1. Can I install this program with ATI MultiMedia Center (MMC) v8.8 installed? Or do I have to uninstall MMC due to conflicts?

2. Can I watch scheduled TV shows in Timeshifting mode? Basically, I have Beyond TV 3 record an hour TV show from 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM. I come home, and I already missed the first 15 minutes. I want to be able to jump into the TV show from the beginning (recorded already) and catch up to the live TV feed (include skipping commercials). This is like TiVo. I don't have to wait until the program finishes recording. MMC is annoying with this method.

3. Can I record with captions? ATI VCR video format can, but not DivX, MPEG-2, etc.

4. Can I watch my recorded shows and Timeshift recordings (in progress) on my TV (TV out fullscreen overlay)? If so, then can it show captions if available?

5. Is the low volume still a problem since I have a SB Live! card?

6. Is my Athlon XP 2200+ fast enough? I have 1 GB of RAM, Windows XP Professional SP1, and an ASUS A7V333 motherboard.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I e-mailed the same questions to the company, but maybe you guys can answer faster.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 08:21 AM   #8
john99
Radeon HD 6670

john99 is still being judged by the masses

I tried WinDVR 3.0 from Intervideo and it does work with my ATI TV Wonder Pro PCI version. (Even thou on there website it says the PCI version will NOT work).

Like everyone else, I'm fed up with ATI MMC's as it constantly crashes my PC!
john99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2004, 04:33 AM   #9
antdude
An RadeANT!

Quote:
Originally posted by john99
I tried WinDVR 3.0 from Intervideo and it does work with my ATI TV Wonder Pro PCI version. (Even thou on there website it says the PCI version will NOT work).

Like everyone else, I'm fed up with ATI MMC's as it constantly crashes my PC!
For me, it is just buggy.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 02:20 PM   #10
Dk975
Radeon HD 6870

Dk975 is still being judged by the masses

MMC works decently, it gets the job done for me in terms of watching TV and recording, but it does crash every so often upon exiting. There is also the nasty resizing memory leak which I have had in 8.5 and now 8.7.

Heat: duke975
Dk975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 01:12 PM   #11
antdude
An RadeANT!

Post Re: Questions!

Quote:
Originally posted by antdude
I have a few questions about Beyond TV 3 program to use with my ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro (128 MB) card.

1. Can I install this program with ATI MultiMedia Center (MMC) v8.8 installed? Or do I have to uninstall MMC due to conflicts?

2. Can I watch scheduled TV shows in Timeshifting mode? Basically, I have Beyond TV 3 record an hour TV show from 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM. I come home, and I already missed the first 15 minutes. I want to be able to jump into the TV show from the beginning (recorded already) and catch up to the live TV feed (include skipping commercials). This is like TiVo. I don't have to wait until the program finishes recording. MMC is annoying with this method.

3. Can I record with captions? ATI VCR video format can, but not DivX, MPEG-2, etc.

4. Can I watch my recorded shows and Timeshift recordings (in progress) on my TV (TV out fullscreen overlay)? If so, then can it show captions if available?

6. Is my Athlon XP 2200+ fast enough? I have 1 GB of RAM, Windows XP Professional SP1, and an ASUS A7V333 motherboard.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I e-mailed the same questions to the company, but maybe you guys can answer faster.
I got a reply from the company:

1) Yes, and in most cases it is better to leave MMC installed so that the
mpeg decoders provided can be used by BTV, however you CANNOT have both
running at the same time so you will have to disable ati's scheduler and
other apps

2) Yes, BTV always uses timeshifting for recordings and watching tv when
the recording format is set in MPEG mode, you can join a recording
in-progress with the livetv option and rewind or play it from the recorded
video menu and start from the begining, with full skip/rewind
functionality in both

3) No, currently beyondtv does not support the recording of caption data

4) Yes, Beyondtv however doesnt use an overlay surface so theatre mode on
the ati will not work you will have to use tv out in cloning mode and then
use it on the monitor and the tv will clone the image from the monitor to
the tv set

5) Volume is controlled during the last step of the hardware wizard when
presented a live video stream the volume slider adjust the recording
volume you then adjust the playback volume while watching tv/recordings

6) It should be, however we dont recommend using AIW cards because of the
following:
we strongly do not recommend users use these devices because they impose
many limitations on how the system can be used when these devices are used
as recording sources, while a recording is in progresss or one is about to
start you cannot perform any of the following:
- Cannot use lock workstation
- Cannot use fast user switching
- Cannot use remote desktop on xp (because it performs the above
2actions)
- Cannot use any screen saver
- Cannot use any power management for the monitor or sleep for thesystem
- Cannot use any program or game that runs opengl / directx in fullscreen
or a window (this includes most games, and windows media player)
- Cannot use any program or game that changes the screen resolution from
the desktop default
- Cannot use true fullscreen mode in BeyondTV (this mode helps reduce the
cpu load and with an aiw card cant be used because it performs the above
two functions)
These limitations are known by ati and have been for atleast 2 years and
have not been corrected, some of their technical support states that it
is
a driver issue with windows and cannot be corrected by ati.

-Robert

--

I think #6 answer will prevent me to want this program. I can't go fullscreen? That sucks! Any other player replacements to try that meet most of my requirements?

Last edited by antdude : Feb 9, 2004 at 01:17 PM.
antdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 02:56 PM   #12
ThickHead

Well, as I found from my experience with an AIW Radeon, going the ATi route isn't always the "best" choice, it depends on what's important to you. I can do fullscreen using the onboard GeForce4 MX video built into my mobo's nForce2 chipset.... apparently something an ATI AIW 9800 that costs probably $300 more can't do. It's just a matter of cost/performance preferences, I'm not a gamer so the latest ATi 3D graphics chip would go to waste in my setup. As for my HTPC, I wanted it to be:

1) very easy to use (i.e. a well designed 10 ft User Interface) for both me and my wife

2) support for the RF Remote Wonder (i.e. control it from anywhere in the house)

3) cheap! I built it from leftover parts orphaned through upgrades to my other PC

4) reliable/stable hardware and software that's available right now. I don't want to be bothered every month going through an install of the latest driver/application patches and finding out they never fixed the problems I was having anyway (get the hint, Catalyst/MMC?).

5) physically small so that it would fit easily within my entertainment system

and last, but not least,
6) very quiet, I don't want to have hear the system, Power Supply, CPU, and Graphics card fans whirring away like a turbocharger at full throttle in the middle of some quiet suspense scene

ThickHead
40GB 5400 RPM IBM 40GV Deskstar (Acoustic Management feature enabled for quieter operation)
NEC DVD +/-RW
ATi Remote Wonder
ATi TV Wonder Pro
Old Feb 10, 2004, 09:29 PM   #13
BellHead

BellHead is still being judged by the masses

Try DScaler 4.18. It's much, much better than MMC. See this thread.
BellHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 01:55 AM   #14
raydog1
Radeon HD 6670

raydog1 is still being judged by the masses

I'm testing Beyond TV right now and I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy it.

It takes longer to load than MMC, but it seems to work much more smoothly. I love the way it's recording a scheduled show right now completely in the background. I'm going to test the advanced features tomorrow. Cool thing is, they give you 21 days to test it so you might want to give it try.

Anyway, it's much bettter than MMC!
raydog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 02:48 AM   #15
antdude
An RadeANT!

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by raydog1
I'm testing Beyond TV right now and I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy it.

It takes longer to load than MMC, but it seems to work much more smoothly. I love the way it's recording a scheduled show right now completely in the background. I'm going to test the advanced features tomorrow. Cool thing is, they give you 21 days to test it so you might want to give it try.

Anyway, it's much bettter than MMC!
Hmm, really that good? Is there anyone who here doesn't like Beyond TV? I thought I would wait a bit and try the newer versions later on when it has more features that I am looking for. I just don't want to install it now, lose 21 free days, don't like it anymore, want to try again later on but the free days are gone, etc.

I just uninstalled ATI driver and MMC to get the newer version.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 10:58 AM   #16
wetdagger
Radeon HD 6770

wetdagger is still being judged by the masses

I have BTV and it really is that good. I don't know for sure, but this might work. If you download the trial version now, then they upgrade in a month, then I think you should be able to use their new trial. You might want to check their message boards to see if this is true.

http://discuss2.snapstream.com/vb/

wd
wetdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 07:50 PM   #17
antdude
An RadeANT!

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by wetdagger
I have BTV and it really is that good. I don't know for sure, but this might work. If you download the trial version now, then they upgrade in a month, then I think you should be able to use their new trial. You might want to check their message boards to see if this is true.

http://discuss2.snapstream.com/vb/
I just noticed this: "Note: Has your Trial for a previous release of Beyond TV 3 expired? Simply download and install using the link above and you'll have another 21 days to evaluate!"

I will check it out this long weekend. It better be good even if it has missing features (e.g., captions) I want.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 10:23 PM   #18
raydog1
Radeon HD 6670

OK I just bought it!

I can't believe I hadn't heard of this program until yesterday.

The only problem I had was getting it to start with windows in the task tray instead of as the "home" window. But I just found that option buried deep in the web admin. This sucker is just too cool. I wish I had a dollar for every time I was at work or school and realized I forgot to set the vcr to record something. I just tested the remote programming feature and it worked.

I'm watching Stargate SG-1 right now that I programmed online at work.

I don't need any advanced TV tuner like the one they sell on their website and it seems to be working fine with my TV Wonder so I think I'll stick with it until I break it.
Old Feb 14, 2004, 02:24 AM   #19
Bulldogbreed
Radeon HD 6670

Bulldogbreed is still being judged by the masses

could try myhtpc, it kicks ass and it's free
Bulldogbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 04:55 AM   #20
antdude
An RadeANT!

Question

OK, I finally installed the trialware. I am still struggling to get used to it. Navigation is sooooooooo confusing at first. My computer feels a lot slower with processes running in the background when recording (time shift or regular recording).

Is there a way to get Beyond TV to use GUIDE+ for now since I can't use SnapStream.Net until I buy the product?

The biggest turn off right now is that I can't watch my recordings on TV fullscreen as noted above (I even tried it for kicks)! I only have a 15" monitor and my TV is 21". I cannot even play back MPEG-2 files in WinDVD to TV! ARGH!!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by antdude : Feb 14, 2004 at 05:50 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2004, 02:52 PM   #21
raydog1
Radeon HD 6670

Quote:
Originally posted by antdude
OK, I finally installed the trialware. I am still struggling to get used to it. Navigation is sooooooooo confusing at first. My computer feels a lot slower with processes running in the background when recording (time shift or regular recording).

Is there a way to get Beyond TV to use GUIDE+ for now since I can't use SnapStream.Net until I buy the product?

The biggest turn off right now is that I can't watch my recordings on TV fullscreen as noted above (I even tried it for kicks)! I only have a 15" monitor and my TV is 21". I cannot even play back MPEG-2 files in WinDVD to TV! ARGH!!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance.
Navigation does suck at first. It took me a while to find some of the most basic things I was looking for. I find it easier just to use Web Admin. Everything seems to be set up there.

MMC would slow things down too when recording, not to mention I had to mute the sound and minimize the window. But I don't notice a major slowdown problem. I can still surf the web and type a Word doc without any problems while BTV is recording. I have a gig of RAM, a Pentium 4, and a fast HDD with a 8 MB cache. So that may be helping me a little.

Snapstream.net makes Guide+ look like crap! Trust me. You'll never look back. But I remember reading in the help files about using 3rd party guides. The instructions are probably there.

I can't reproduce the full screen problem. I never had a problem with that, even when using the trial version.
Old Feb 14, 2004, 04:24 PM   #22
antdude
An RadeANT!

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by raydog1
Navigation does suck at first. It took me a while to find some of the most basic things I was looking for. I find it easier just to use Web Admin. Everything seems to be set up there.

MMC would slow things down too when recording, not to mention I had to mute the sound and minimize the window. But I don't notice a major slowdown problem. I can still surf the web and type a Word doc without any problems while BTV is recording. I have a gig of RAM, a Pentium 4, and a fast HDD with a 8 MB cache. So that may be helping me a little.

Snapstream.net makes Guide+ look like crap! Trust me. You'll never look back. But I remember reading in the help files about using 3rd party guides. The instructions are probably there.

I can't reproduce the full screen problem. I never had a problem with that, even when using the trial version.
Really? I tried overlay and theater method and obviously didn't work. I tried extended desktop and get Direct3D something error when going fullscreen. I tried clone mode, it works but I cannot use my primary screen if I go fullscreen.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 05:24 AM   #23
stefan_itu

stefan_itu is still being judged by the masses

Lightbulb

In interesting application to replace MMC could be ChrisTv at link http://www.chris-tv.com/
It work with all families of Radeon AIW.
stefan_itu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 10:07 AM   #24
antdude
An RadeANT!

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by stefan_itu
In interesting application to replace MMC could be ChrisTv at link http://www.chris-tv.com/
It work with all families of Radeon AIW.
stefan_itu: Do you happen to know the answers to my questions?

1. Can I install this program with ATI MultiMedia Center (MMC) v8.9 installed? Or do I have to uninstall MMC due to conflicts?

2. Can I watch scheduled TV shows in Timeshifting mode? Basically, I have the recorder program record an hour TV show from 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM. I come home, and I already missed the first 15 minutes. I want to be able to jump into the TV show from the beginning (recorded already) and catch up to the live TV feed (include skipping commercials). This is like TiVo. I don't have to wait until the program finishes recording. MMC is annoying with this method.

3. Can I record with captions? ATI's MMC VCR video format can, but not DivX, MPEG-2, etc.

4. Can I watch my recorded shows and Timeshift recordings (in progress) on my TV (TV out fullscreen overlay) and still use my computer on primary screen (monitor)? If so, then can it show captions if available?

7. Does it have a TV guide like MMC using GuidePlus so I can view details on my TV shows and select to record?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by antdude : Feb 18, 2004 at 10:13 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 04:52 PM   #25
mike09

mike09 is still being judged by the masses

should i uninstall mmc from add/remove programs then install beyond tv or could i go on top of it.

ps. how much space dpes this take up on a hard drive after i install it? it says 10gigs on the site so i dont know. i dont have mush space left on my local disk.

Last edited by mike09 : Feb 18, 2004 at 04:55 PM.
mike09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 04:57 PM   #26
antdude
An RadeANT!

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by mike09
should i uninstall mmc from add/remove programs then install beyond tv or could i go on top of it.
Mike09, please read my post #61. The installing BeyondTV with MMC question was already answered.

As for 10 GB question, I think because the recording takes up a lot of disk space. No surprise there.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 05:13 PM   #27
mike09

mike09 is still being judged by the masses

ok call me retarded, im not but just call me it anyway. but you post (#61) only asks the question that i did. i read the entire thread to no available answer to my question.
mike09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 05:17 PM   #28
antdude
An RadeANT!

Quote:
Originally posted by mike09
ok call me retarded, im not but just call me it anyway. but you post (#61) only asks the question that i did. i read the entire thread to no available answer to my question.
I didn't have any problems when I installed BeyondTV over MMC v8.9.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 06:38 PM   #29
BillShepp

BillShepp is still being judged by the masses

Would the Hauppage card and Beyond TV allow me to record a show even when the computer is sitting at the login screen, or another account is logged in via fast user switching? Also, can I put this in alongside my AIW 8500DV, or do I need to pull out the AIW and replace it with a normal video card?

Thanks!

Bill
BillShepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 06:20 PM   #30
Sabotage1945

Sabotage1945 is still being judged by the masses

Exclamation [FYI] Announcing: SageTV PVR Software...

Hey guys,

I just discovered this tool which I thought might interest some of you on the board who have a video card with a built-in TV tuner. SageTV software converts your PC into a PVR (Personal Video Recorder - similar to Windows XP MCE) solution that gives you a Full-Screen Interface for Live TV viewing and Video (or Music) playback on any PC on your network! With SageTV you can Pause Live TV, Rewind, Fast Forward and Jump Around shows with ease.

SageTV uses less than 5% of a PC’s system resources while recording television. So while using your PC as you normally would, you won’t realize you’re recording television onto your hard drive. Plus, SageTV only accesses the Internet once each day connecting to the SageTV server and downloading updated program guide information.

SageTV Version 2.0 Preview:

Looking to record new shows? Choose "Schedule Recordings" to view the Recording Schedule, Search for shows, Add and Manage your Favorites and more. This logic continues throughout the application to make navigating SageTV much more intuitive.

you can view upcoming programs for the next two weeks to either record or watch. The video window in the upper right-hand corner is what you are currently viewing through the Media Player. You can quickly preview any currently Live shows using this video window or continue viewing what you are currently watching as you browse the Live TV Guide. You can also view more detailed information about a program.

The On-Screen Display now provides more information regarding the show being viewed. In addition you may select to have transparency if you enable VMR on Windows XP.

Source: http://www.sagetv.net/beta.html

I hope you'll find this information useful.

Good luck,
Sabotage
Sabotage1945 is offline   Reply With Quote