Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Old Jul 24, 2003, 08:31 PM   #21
Pepsin
bananed

Pepsin is still being judged by the masses

On another forum. people have reported that FS2004 stutters on Radeon 9x00 but not on Geforce4. Can anyone confirm/deny this? Also will ATI fix this in a driver update?

Flight Sim is not as popular as e.g. FPS games so I fear ATI will just screw us over. In that case, I'll have to get a Geforce
Pepsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 10:53 PM   #22
Capt Ron
Radeon R300

Capt Ron is still being judged by the masses

Howard Bloom, who claims to be a beta tester, says all is fine. (see up thread)
Old Jul 25, 2003, 06:38 AM   #23
heretic
Radeon R300

heretic is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Pepsin
On another forum. people have reported that FS2004 stutters on Radeon 9x00 but not on Geforce4. Can anyone confirm/deny this? Also will ATI fix this in a driver update?

Flight Sim is not as popular as e.g. FPS games so I fear ATI will just screw us over. In that case, I'll have to get a Geforce
IT'S A FRIGGIN BETA FOR GODS SAKE !
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 11:20 AM   #24
controller2k2

controller2k2 is still being judged by the masses

FS2004 has been released in Sweden and in most online stores in the US. It is available for purchase and many people have it indeed. I myself purchased from provantage.com and received it yesterday. It is definitely not a beta, as it came in a box from Microsoft.

I have the same problems everyone else mentions here with my 9800 Pro using the 3.6 cats. Using windowed mode solves all of them, but it is annoying to say the least. The flashing menus I can handle, but the text corruption/"smudging" in the windows that scroll I can't.

I noticed Windowed mode seems to default to vsync off, which makes the graphics tear pretty bad. That is the main reason I don't like to use it. Speed wise, it is about the same as full-screen, however.
controller2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 12:11 PM   #25
Pepsin
bananed

Quote:
Originally posted by heretic
IT'S A FRIGGIN BETA FOR GODS SAKE !
Yup most software M$ releases is beta but it works fine on Nvidia cards from what I've read.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 12:27 PM   #26
dpc111

dpc111 is still being judged by the masses

It is definitely available for sale. Purchased and received from Provantage yesterday. Anniversary addition in the tin. Now that said... 2 major issues I see on an ATI 9700pro using CAT 3.6. Flashing of screens during menu loads and the smudging issue as described.
dpc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 02:57 PM   #27
ryandinan
The Moon Rules #1

ryandinan is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by dpc111
It is definitely available for sale. Purchased and received from Provantage yesterday. Anniversary addition in the tin. Now that said... 2 major issues I see on an ATI 9700pro using CAT 3.6. Flashing of screens during menu loads and the smudging issue as described.
I get those issues as well as one more:
A moire effect on buildings - even with AA enabled. It's almost like the texture is getting scaled improperly, and swirled around...

-Ryan
ryandinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2003, 06:35 AM   #28
clunker
ATI since VGA Wonder

clunker is still being judged by the masses

Some tweaks for using 9700's and 9800's with FS2004 are here: http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds/main/menuchoo.htm

See the item titled: "How To...Adjust Your ATI 9800 For FS2004"

The author says his tweaks fix all the problems, but I can't confirm, seeing as I am not an owner of a 9700, 9800, or FS2004.
clunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 09:04 AM   #29
McCrash
Radeon R520

McCrash is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Flight Simulator 2004

Quote:
Originally posted by Loren Smith
Looks like Flight Simulator 2004 has some driver issuses. When you load the simulator with my Radeon 9800 pro the screen flashes on and off. Everything is fine when the sim is loaded. I also noticed that when you go to any help screen and scroll down when you try to scroll back up again the text above is scrambled. I have tried both the cat 3.4 and 3.5 but they both act the same. Has anyone else noticed this?

Loren
Same here dude!!!!!

I even loaded DX9.0b and still have issues.
McCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 09:33 AM   #30
Pepsin
bananed

Quote:
Originally posted by ryandinan
I get those issues as well as one more:
A moire effect on buildings - even with AA enabled. It's almost like the texture is getting scaled improperly, and swirled around...

-Ryan
In Display Settings, under the Hardware tab, set the Mipmap Quality slider to about 4.

To fix the flashing screen and garbled text:

-Run the game in Windowed mode

-Use Catalyst 3.2

-Wait for Catalyst 3.7
Old Aug 17, 2003, 11:14 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
McCrash
Radeon R520

McCrash is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard Bloom
I am a beta tester and have the Gold version of FS 2004. I have the 9800 Pro, and it works perfectly with either the Catalyst 3.4 or the 3.5 drivers.

Howard
What is the difference between the Gold version and what we purchased?

What DirectX version did you test with?
McCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 01:05 PM   #32
Pepsin
bananed

Quote:
Originally posted by McCrash
What is the difference between the Gold version and what we purchased?

What DirectX version did you test with?
The Gold version is supposed to be the build that gets into retail. So far, Howard is the ONLY person I've seen who's claiming not to have any issues with FS2004 and Radeon.

ATI is aware of the issue and they are hoping to have a fix in the next Catalyst release.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 02:49 PM   #33
loafer87gt
Radeon R520

loafer87gt is still being judged by the masses

Default Found a fix for Cat 3.6!

Hey guys,

Last night I hooked up my TV to my machine to watch a flick and forgot to disconnect my secondary display before playing FS2004. Lo and behold, all my flashing screen problems are gone, and the game runs more snappy than ever. Maybe when the game is flashing it is polling the computer to see if a second screen is available. Anyways, if possible, hook a TV or second display to your machine and see if it works for you guys as well.

Update: the corruption when scrolling down through menus is now gone as well!!! I am now running 1600x1200 with 16x AF at 30 + FPS over cities on my Athlon 2400+ / 9700 Pro machine. Also, to get rid of the moire patterns on the scenery and aircraft you must use Quality AF and enable trilinear filtering within the game. To test to see that it is select the Ford Trimotor flight over San Fran Bay from the Kiosk flights. Switch to the exterior view and look at your plane. The horizontal moire lines on the exterior that were noticeable before should now disappear when using the Quality/Trilinear combination.

Last edited by loafer87gt : Aug 17, 2003 at 03:15 PM.
loafer87gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 23, 2003, 08:19 PM   #34
mgdbottled
Radeon Evergreen

mgdbottled is still being judged by the masses

I don't have any lines on the outsides of my planes and I'm running 16xAF Performance mode and 4xAA.

Reported in a thread at flightsim:
Just to update, run FS2k4 at any res above 1600x1200x32 res and the full screen flashing menus and flashing when switching from window to full screen and back and the bleeding text is gone. Only problem is you really need a 256mb card to run above 1600x1200x32. I tried 1792x1344x32 and no flashing and AA & AF still seemed ok. I took a big hit on framerate though so I went back to 1600x1200x32. I'll wait for ATI to fix this.
Old Aug 24, 2003, 04:30 PM   #35
ryandinan
The Moon Rules #1

ryandinan is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Found a fix for Cat 3.6!

Very interesting...
Unfortunately, I don't have a TV close enough to connect my machine to (and it's too big to move).

So you're saying that as long as you have your TV connected to your 9700, that you dont have any of the problems, AND the game runs smoother?

wow...
It definitely seems as though you stumbled across the problem

And to address the other post below yours, unfortunately my monitor will not go above 1600x1200 (nor will many people's for that matter). Until I get my Mits 2070...

-Ryan

Quote:
Originally posted by loafer87gt
Hey guys,

Last night I hooked up my TV to my machine to watch a flick and forgot to disconnect my secondary display before playing FS2004. Lo and behold, all my flashing screen problems are gone, and the game runs more snappy than ever. Maybe when the game is flashing it is polling the computer to see if a second screen is available. Anyways, if possible, hook a TV or second display to your machine and see if it works for you guys as well.

Update: the corruption when scrolling down through menus is now gone as well!!! I am now running 1600x1200 with 16x AF at 30 + FPS over cities on my Athlon 2400+ / 9700 Pro machine. Also, to get rid of the moire patterns on the scenery and aircraft you must use Quality AF and enable trilinear filtering within the game. To test to see that it is select the Ford Trimotor flight over San Fran Bay from the Kiosk flights. Switch to the exterior view and look at your plane. The horizontal moire lines on the exterior that were noticeable before should now disappear when using the Quality/Trilinear combination.
ryandinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2003, 08:44 AM   #36
O.D.
Radeon R600

O.D. is still being judged by the masses

HEY... don't everyone go away just yet!

I got another problem!!

I got two machines, both the same hardware wise:

xp 1800+
MSI w/ a KT266a chipset
256 ddr ram
9600pro

one with xp pro and dx9.0b, the other with 98 and dx9.0a.

the xp pro machine works flawlessly.

the 98 machine keeps LOCKING up within a minute of when any 3d graphics are shown... so if I go to CREATE a flight... the game will freeze shortly. If I just jump in to fly real quick it will lock soon... I have to RESTART the machine. When I do this restart the machine doesn't quite make it into 98 before it RESTARTS again! Then it loads into 98 normally.....

oh yeah... I am using 3.4 on the 98 machine and 3.6 on the xp one.

I propose a toast....
O.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2003, 06:08 PM   #37
loafer87gt
Radeon R520

loafer87gt is still being judged by the masses

Well I tried running the game in 1600x1200 WITHOUT my TV connected and I still got display corruption and flashing screens during loading. The screen still flashes and causes a delay when you hit the alt key to bring up the menu as well.

The only fix for me is to re-connect the TV and then fire up the game. Very strange.
loafer87gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2003, 11:39 PM   #38
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I got the same probs, as well as the FSNav garbled text w/ FS02. I use a dual display and still get the problem. Also, if I run FSNav over on the 2d display at the same time I run in virtual cockpit mode, the sim eventually locks or crashes to a reboot. Anyone have this last problem?
Old Oct 4, 2003, 04:26 PM   #39
osiris2k2

osiris2k2 is still being judged by the masses

Hey, I've got that flickering and text-blurring problem, too, with FS04, Radeon 9500 Pro and Catalyst 3.6 and it really annoys me. Seems, that there is nobody who has found a real solution for that problem, just thatone with the TV connected. Well, I'll try to install the catalyst 3.2 if there's no other solution.
osiris2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 05:30 PM   #40
mgdbottled
Radeon Evergreen

mgdbottled is still being judged by the masses

Why don't you wait for the 3.8 cats do out on Oct 8th. They're suppose to fix the menu blinking and blurred text.