Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » More Discussions » Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support Discussion and support forum for all of the All-In-Wonder Radeon cards, the TV-Wonder, Remote Wonder I and II, the new HDTV Wonder, and basically anything with VIVO support.

"

Old Aug 12, 2002, 04:16 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
shasha
Meatwad

shasha is still being judged by the masses

Default Foolproof ATI Driver/MMC/whatever install

...UPDATED 11Jul03...

If you don't want to use this as a first step then I suggest you try Driver Cleaner as it automates most of this for you and works very well. If that doesn't help or you like to do things manually then try this.

First thing to do is to make 100% sure that you have all of the necessary drivers and MMC SW for YOUR product. The latest CAT, Control Panel and WDM drivers (only for AIW) are usually all you need to install drivers. For some of the newer drivers and MMC you also need WMP 9 and DX9. Make sure that you read the ATI release notes for your SW and drivers before you install anything.

This guide is geared more towards removing all of the ATI SW to ensure that you have the cleanest possible driver install. This is not guaranteed to fix problems with other issues you may have with your system, resource conflicts, bad 3rd party SW and oddball codecs, insane OC'ing induced issues, it is to eliminate the possiblity of old ATI stuff mixing in with your new ATI SW. Think of it as a troubleshooting step.

------------------------------------------------------

ATI drivers do not always uninstall/update very well so I have my own foolproof method to make sure that everything goes as planned. This is geared towards WinXP, but the principles are the same in all Windows OS's. This the closest I can get to a clean install of ATI drivers/SW that I have figured out short of a reformat.

You will need to disable Windows File Protection (WFP) or do the file deletions in the \system32 folder while in safe mode depending on your system configuration. To disable WFP, I use X-Setup by X-teq (free, very powerful system tweaker) and you should have no problems deleting any file. Otherwise Safe Mode should work just fine. (press F8 during startup and select Safe Mode)

Items you will need before you start:
  • Download all of the necessary drivers from here
  • Download and install Regcleaner (the best registry tool out there) from here.
System purging procedure:
  • Uninstall all ATI SW, drivers, hydravision, MMC, remote SW, whatever because it makes it easier to clean up your system and it won't cause problems when restarting. Don't reboot until everything is uninstalled.
  • Delete the following directories:
  • C:\ATI
  • C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia
  • C:\Program Files\ATI Technology
  • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Raviscent Shared

note: you may not have all of these depending on your card type, just delete the ones you have
  • Clean out the C:\Windows\Temp directory. There is a chance there are some driver files in there as well.
  • Go to the C:Windows\system32 directory, make sure you are in detail view and right click on the header (where name, file type, date modified...is) and select more and check the box for Company. Then double click on the Company header and then delete all of the ATI files in there. Do the same for the C:Windows\system32\drivers directory.
  • Go to the C:\Windows\inf directory and delete any file that starts with ATI (open the inf files in notepad). Then go down to each file named oemxx.inf and open it, delete any that refer to ATI. Make sure that you delete the corresponding .pnf file as well.
  • Run Regcleaner. Delete any ATI entries.
  • Empty the Recycle Bin.
  • Unplug your internet connection or disable it. (Mainly for WinXP) If you don't Windows will try to download a driver for you and install it.
  • Reboot

Driver/SW install
  • Install the WDM drivers. Do not reboot.
  • Install the Display drives (Catalyst). Do not reboot.
  • Install the Control Panel. Reboot.

On startup Windows will install all of your HW went it boots and it will take a few minutes. If you are using a non-AIW card you are done. For AIW users, there are two more setps:
  • Install the MMC SW. Reboot.
  • Install the MMC DVD Decoder SW. Reboot

Like I said, I have done this more than a few times and it always works for me. I wouldn't have spent all of the time formatting this message if I didn't believe in it.

Last edited by shasha : Jul 11, 2003 at 03:30 PM.
shasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2002, 05:01 PM   #2
Shrink
Rage3D Veteran

Shrink is still being judged by the masses

This one deserves a sticky. Thanks Shasha :-)

System Specs: P4 3.2C @ 3.6 ghz; Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo; BBA X850XT; 2 GB Kingston DDR; SB X-Fi Gamer; 2 WD 250GB HD; Plextor 712a; Sapphire Theatrix ATI Theater 550 PCI card; BenQ FP2091 LCD; and WinXP MCE2005
Shrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2002, 06:09 PM   #3
Pongo
Custom User Title

Pongo is still being judged by the masses

Question Thanx!

I do have one question, are there any web sites that have the old ATI MMC center downloads? I've been searching all over the net for a link to the software and nobody has it! I"m talking about the 7.6no-dvd web release. ATI supplies the older drivers for thier cards but only let you download the lastest MMC??

If anybody has this on an FTP, or knows of a site that still supplies the older MMC's please post that. I think that would be good information for this thread.

Peace out
Chris
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 13, 2002, 07:42 AM   #4
ArmchairWarrior
Radeon HD 6770

ArmchairWarrior is still being judged by the masses

Default What worked for me

I followed the instructions provided here to the dot including wiping out registry entries, files, etc. but noticed that after WDM install and no reboot, the Catalyst drivers would pretend to install (no progress bar, no files copied, just a jump to the "You need to restart your computer..." screen) but copy no files at all, causing the Control Panel to complain that no ATI drivers were found.

The solution was simple - right click on "Standard VGA" in Device Manager and click on the Update Driver button and point it to the directory with the new drivers. That seemed to work like a charm. Maybe I have a very screwed up Windows installation. And since the drivers are now split up into three parts, this procedure seems indentical to the Setup program.

I installed 7.7.0.1 and had to remove both MMC 7.7 and 7.6, then re-install DVD 7.6 to achieve this. But for those who want to stick with their present MMC I think the suggestion to "repair" the MMC installation after upgrading the drivers rather than de-installing and re-installing it later would be a good time-saver.
ArmchairWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 12:33 PM   #5
Uninformed
Radeon HD 6770

Uninformed is still being judged by the masses

Default How do you know that it is all properly installed?

I have always followed the directions on the drivers themselves and have not futsed around with deletions of various other items.

How can you tell (aside from the obvious fact that it boots up correctly without warnings, etc.) that Catalyst 2.2 is running correctly and the control panel works?

Is there any test out there that demonstrates whether everything is configured properly?

Reason I ask is that I have not seen much difference playing with the Advanced OpenGL and DirectX tab settings whether set to performance or quality. Smoothvision works for sure, that much I know. Anisotropic filters I cannot say. How do you know whether everything really is functioning correctly?

My system is Windows XP, Athlon XP 1900, AIW 8500DV, 512 MB Ram, Audigy, etc.
Uninformed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 02:21 PM   #6
En-Xtremis
Radeon HD 6670

En-Xtremis is still being judged by the masses

good note to include the OEMX.inf files.

good job. :-)

You're either a bastard or not a bastard.
En-Xtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 02:56 PM   #7
shasha
Meatwad

Thanks for the comments. I feel all sticky...good I guess

One thing that I forgot to put in there that isn't quite as important, but if you are having trouble with a stubborn driver install is to do some digging in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups directories. They are labeled \0000\Driver files, 0001\Driver Files...etc. They can be the cause of a few headaches too. They have .inf in them as well, so you can dig through them and delete them if you feel so inclined. I only do it for heavy troubleshooting, it's not usually necessary.

Zazzybud

Try looking here for MMC 7.6 noDVD.exe
It's in the guide now. Thanks for pointing that out, I actually use the one I DL'ed a while back.

ArmchairWarrior

Been there before with other drivers, though it was usually with unsigned or drivers not specifically intended for my device. I can only think that maybe there was a corrupted install file (like during DL) or something was not uninstalled properly (not by you, but the SW). I can't imagine that you have the wrong drivers since they are universal and if you had a Standard VGA adaptor in there then it was uninstalled. Strange, just glad you got it working.

Last edited by shasha : Aug 13, 2002 at 03:03 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2002, 03:37 PM   #8
hunk4004
Radeon HD 6670

hunk4004 is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs down Does it really work?????

Having the 8500DV on a M/B K7S5A i always installed over previous installs without any problems 3d wise, however i followed the above instructions to the letter and have the same problem: When pressing TV IN to record my system reboots, there's a thread not to far down ATI Hangs it's not only my problem but a common problem does this thread have an answer to this? So personally it's not 100% fullproof until it solves ALL PROBLEMS regarding the drivers so i don't think this thread deserves a Sticky!
hunk4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 05:56 PM   #9
shasha
Meatwad

I didn't say that it would fix driver/compatability problems. I said that it would clean any and all (ok, most) relevant ATI files and give you a fresh start to install newer ones. Conflicts w/ other HW are going to be there, this is to get the ATI drivers 100% updated, not fix the rest of your system.

Sorry to hear about your problem, but I never claimed to write/fix drivers for this thing. Your MB is also not on the compatability chart from ATI, may be a reason for that.

There are too many things that it could be to try to fix it here, I'll take a look at your other thread.

Last edited by shasha : Aug 13, 2002 at 06:27 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2002, 09:20 PM   #10
Megan

Megan is still being judged by the masses

Hi there! Your tutorial is really wonderful. Everything in the Multimedia Panel works now except for TV on demand. It won't open still? It just hangs ...

I'm new to the forum .. just found this place today. Please help if possible!!!! ....
Megan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 10:29 PM   #11
hunk4004
Radeon HD 6670

Default LET'S UNITE!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by shasha
I didn't say that it would fix driver/compatability problems. I said that it would clean any and all (ok, most) relevant ATI files and give you a fresh start to install newer ones. Conflicts w/ other HW are going to be there, this is to get the ATI drivers 100% updated, not fix the rest of your system.

Sorry to hear about your problem, but I never claimed to write/fix drivers for this thing. Your MB is also not on the compatability chart from ATI, may be a reason for that.

There are too many things that it could be to try to fix it here, I'll take a look at your other thread.
It's not my problem! It's a very common problem read the post above and underneath this one, the posts on DriverHeaven the ones in Googles Group forums and so forth! there tons of similar posts but there completely and totally ignored!

I'm a PC assembler and the 8500dv were installed on mb's having the via, intel and sis chipsets various abits, soyo, asus, ecs, eqs, ecc... with santa cruz, Various SB'ers, onboard audio 133, 233 and even 333 ddr's from a fresh install to using your methods and others so what my experience is that the Catalyst drivers are causing the problems since then this mess started to happen, these are not compability problems it's just an excuse and Ati can't or didn't try 50 different motherboards from 50 different Companys because there're to busy making more advanced chips and there is no Warning or Compability sticker on any Retail 8500DV or Hercules 8500dv that i've bought and furthermore the compability charts are outdated because of the 8500dv being outdated. anyway i installed all updated drivers from Ati except the display drivers and on all systems using the 6094 drivers it runs a charm, the only capability problems on some systems that i've experienced is the audio humming cause of the firewall ports on the 8500DV but i've overcome this by turning it off with the dip switches on the board and the audio cracking and popping cause of the Via Soundblaster known conflicts updating the bios using the George latency fix and updating the 4in1's fix this problem, I'm not saying the 8500DV has to do anything special just what i and other people paid for it because it does cost quite a bit! And maybe Mr. Orbs should address this known and very common problem that is posted on other posts and forums and that this and other problems should be attacked and not avoided cause no one knows what to do! At the end who cares if 3dmark went up 110 points!!!!!!!!! The person(s) who solves this and other similar problems deserve a Sticky and the right to work for Ati maybe even replacing Mr. Orbs!!!!

Last edited by hunk4004 : Aug 13, 2002 at 11:11 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2002, 10:47 PM   #12
NEVERLIFT
Shadowrunner

Location: United States In the shadows of the Megacorporations
NEVERLIFT is still being judged by the masses

I cant get the new 6118 drivers to work as stated in another post.
Even though it seemed they where installed... 2D was slow and sluggish and nothing 3D worked, and I could not videocapture. If I got anything working in 3D it was always windowed and slow and messing up if it even ran at all.

I have no complaints with the 6094's so I will just keep using them. Pretty bad IMHO ATI cant make there drivers so they uninstall and install right.
It's 13:53:33 . Do You Know Where Your Meat Body Is?
Shadowrunner by trade...

Last edited by NEVERLIFT : Aug 13, 2002 at 10:50 PM.
NEVERLIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 03:31 AM   #13
xgodxicex
Radeon HD 6870

xgodxicex is still being judged by the masses

Default garbled tv

Im still getting garbled video when i run the prog with the regular mode. If i run the tv prog in TV IN DEMAND mode the picture is fine and runs like normal. But when I turn back to the regular tv mode the picture gets garbled again. I downloaded the "fix" from the post thats located a few below this thread, and it seemed to work the first couple of times, but now it doesn't work. Does anyone know why this happens, and does anyone know how to get around it?

AMD Guys "fix" = Worked the first few times, then didn't do much after about an hour

Screen Resolution Trick = Worked a couple of times, then didn't do anything

Also: When i click on channel surf in regular TV mode, it surfs through all the channels and the picture on the thumbnails are fine, but when i turn off channel surfing the screen is back to the garbled picture...strange

Last edited by xgodxicex : Aug 14, 2002 at 03:55 AM.
xgodxicex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 07:03 AM   #14
jilawson

jilawson is still being judged by the masses

Talking Dude you rock!

Your instructions got me all warm and fuzzy inside. I have been hating my card every since I purchased it cause I could not get all the componets to work without glitches. Your instruction cleared it all up...........THANKS!
jilawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 01:34 PM   #15
hunk4004
Radeon HD 6670

Default shasha & shrink

You both know reporting bugs to Ati in any form or means 1 thing 50% of the times it goes unanswered and the other 50% the same response: uninstall this way go to the bios thataway and go to the install this away and please don't tell me that Mr. Orbs and or his team have nothing to do with it the 2 teams in theory should work toghether to see if the display drivers and MMC drivers work like a swish clock, heck they work for the same company don't they? You both know ati is busy dishing out newer cards making our obsolete so their priorities go there and we get some kind of beefed up driver that goes with the supperior cards, it's a race somewhat the one between AMD and INTEL so basically with no dought the problem will be resolved but by then there'll be a Ati 15000 512ddr card out come on they have the hardware but not the support, "excuse me" nVIDIA come out with drivers everyonce and a while and they're perfect at every stage, "re-excuse me" Matrox Marvel Cards (except the g450-stinks)
have a rock solid capture software that fully supports the hardware on them g200-g400 even put their own mjpeg codec which has excellent quality, I LOVE ATI but this is killing me i I know you guys are in the same ship(titanic) as me and others however honestly speaking isn't it worth buying an nvidia 4600ti with a dazzle capture card? The problems would sure end but maybe we wouldn't be talking to each other and life would be quite dull! RESPECT TO YOU ALL!!!!!
Old Aug 14, 2002, 04:03 PM   #16
shasha
Meatwad

Default Re: Dude you rock!

Quote:
Originally posted by jilawson
Your instructions got me all warm and fuzzy inside. I have been hating my card every since I purchased it cause I could not get all the componets to work without glitches. Your instruction cleared it all up...........THANKS!
You're welcome! Glad to hear that it helped someone.
Old Aug 15, 2002, 01:20 AM   #17
Shrink
Rage3D Veteran

Shrink is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Megan
Hi there! Your tutorial is really wonderful. Everything in the Multimedia Panel works now except for TV on demand. It won't open still? It just hangs ...

I'm new to the forum .. just found this place today. Please help if possible!!!! ....
Have you uninstalled the all the drivers and MMC and then reinstalled everything? What were you doing with your system in the time since you last used TV On Demand successfully? When was the last time you clean installed your operating system? Finally, what are your system specs?

System Specs: P4 3.2C @ 3.6 ghz; Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo; BBA X850XT; 2 GB Kingston DDR; SB X-Fi Gamer; 2 WD 250GB HD; Plextor 712a; Sapphire Theatrix ATI Theater 550 PCI card; BenQ FP2091 LCD; and WinXP MCE2005
Shrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2002, 03:45 PM   #18
Veazer
Radeon HD 6870

Veazer is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by NEVERLIFT
...Pretty bad IMHO ATI cant make there drivers so they uninstall and install right.
Exactly! This is a crucial point that seems to be continually unaddressed by ATI.

For many users, upgrading using ATI's recommended method results in a problematic or unusable system. It is only after the user takes the time to endure a ritualistic install process like shasha's that things work right.

I'm thankful that people like shasha have taken the time to figure what is needed to get things working, and most of us here are PC savvy enough to follow the step-by-step instructions. But what about the majority of PC users that are mostly clueless about this stuff? They can't be expected to go through a process like that just to update drivers. ATI needs to automate the process or they will begin to lose customers who can't or won't deal with these hassles.
Veazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2002, 07:08 PM   #19
Mr Roboto
Radeon HD 6670

Mr Roboto is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Veazer

Exactly! This is a crucial point that seems to be continually unaddressed by ATI.

For many users, upgrading using ATI's recommended method results in a problematic or unusable system. It is only after the user takes the time to endure a ritualistic install process like shasha's that things work right.

I'm thankful that people like shasha have taken the time to figure what is needed to get things working, and most of us here are PC savvy enough to follow the step-by-step instructions. But what about the majority of PC users that are mostly clueless about this stuff? They can't be expected to go through a process like that just to update drivers. ATI needs to automate the process or they will begin to lose customers who can't or won't deal with these hassles.
These are my sentiments exactly!!
Thanks so much Shasha for your clear, concise and easy to follow directions. You solved the problems that have been bugging me due to old, improperly uninstalled drivers.
Why can't ATI get their act together and simplify driver installs/updates as the average joe would really appreciate a one step solution and not have to hunt around for someone else to solve problems due to their laziness!!
Mr Roboto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2002, 10:36 AM   #20
shasha
Meatwad

You know that is a really good question. I imagine that there are a number of reasons, the least not being that there are so many different possible configurations that people can have with a PC. OS, HW, driver versions, SW, whatever... Different systems can cause different issues.

Some people have no problems just installing the new drivers right on top of the old ones, some people can't even get it to work right by uninstalling them first. Some people have registry values in dfferent sections, even with the same drivers sets! That is why I like Regcleaner, you can delete entries by manufacturer. Also I really think that some systems write protect or put files in system protect mode and that causes issues. I have seen this with SW patches for other apps, may be a similar problem here.

Basically it' probably hard to write a complete uninstaller for every system configuration imagineable. Not realy anl excuse, but maybe a reason.
Old Aug 25, 2002, 05:19 PM   #21
Hookem
Radeon HD 6850

Hookem is still being judged by the masses

Wow !!! I tried to follow the instructions to the letter but could not complete all of the task ... But after removing everything ATI I could find and following the loading sequence ... My 2001 3Dmark went from 7088 to 7724 ... still nowhere near the 9000+ scores I have heard about but a great improvment none the less ... Thanks Sasha you da man !!!
Antec 300, Corsair HX5650W, Asus P5Q PRO Turbo, Intel Q9550, Thermalright SI-128-SE, 2x4 G.Skiell PC64000 DDR2, XFX 4890, 640 Black OS Drive, 2 640 Blacks RAID-0, Audiotrak Prodigy HD2, Vantec SATA EzSwap, Mitsumi floppy, Lian-Li card reader, Lian Li T4, Dell E198WFP, AudioEngine 5 speakers.
[/color]
Hookem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2002, 11:10 PM   #22
Saint_Proverbius
Radeon HD 6850

Saint_Proverbius is still being judged by the masses

Something you may want to try in case you deeply fear Sasha's registry purging, driver INF deleting and so on, is to ignore those parts of the tutorial.

Uninstall everything ATI from the Add/Remove Programs list like the tutorial says.

Reboot.

Install the capture driver WDM

Install the catalyst drivers.

Install the control panel.

Reboot.

Install the MMC 7.7.0.1 from ati.com, it's now it's own package and doesn't need 7.6.x.x.

Reboot.

Your TV display won't work at this point. YAY! So, what do you do now?

Open up the System Properties. Go to the Device Manager.

Wow, look at all the pretty yellow question marks under unknown devices. That's bad. Well, you can make it good by doing the following.

Right Click on one of the Unknown Devices. Select Properties.

Click on the driver tab, then click, Update Driver.

Wait for it.. wait for it..

It should find the correct driver for that device, i.e. ATI WDM Rage Theater Audio, ATI WDM Rage Theater Video, etc.

Repeat for all Unknown Devices.

Fire up the TV.

Now everything should work and that's easier than Sasha's tutorial. I figured this out on my own mainly because things like RegCleaner scare me.
Saint_Proverbius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2002, 06:36 AM   #23
chew1138

chew1138 is still being judged by the masses

I followed the instructions listed, but continue to have the same problem. All of the actual ATI portions work, but when using the internet (both Mozilla and Explorer), on occasion the system freezes up requiring unplugging. When restarting the system, the Windows XP error box comes up stating the ATI 7500 display driver is the cause. Anybody have a clue on how to fix this problem?
(not being a computer whiz, non-technical explanations would be appreciated!)

Windows XP, Pentium 4, 256MB Ram, AIW 7500, 1.7 ghz

Last edited by chew1138 : Aug 29, 2002 at 06:38 AM.
chew1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2002, 05:33 PM   #24
Dspiral
Radeon HD 6770

Dspiral is still being judged by the masses

Default Thanks!

Thanks Sasha, followed your instructions, and I had the first trouble free driver update in almost a year!!!

Thank you very much!!!!
Dspiral
Dspiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2002, 12:13 PM   #25
Dk975
Radeon HD 6870

Dk975 is still being judged by the masses

I followed the instructions according to this post, and I must have accidentally screwed something up, I had to reactivate WinXP after removing the ATI items from the registry and the files.

After reactivating via the phone, everything installed correctly.

Heat: duke975
Dk975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2002, 04:53 PM   #26
Anthroplasm
Radeon HD 6770

Anthroplasm is still being judged by the masses

Default Shasha

For Win2k/XP, You might want to ask user to check and clear out temp directory under "documents and settings -> <USER ID>". I know certain versions of InstallShield keep temp files there.
Anthroplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2002, 09:39 PM   #27
Hookem
Radeon HD 6850

Hookem is still being judged by the masses

For us newbs, I think mentioning that you have to have DirectX 8.1 and the CODECS, loaded before you start all this business could help. Also I see that St. Proverbious sezzz you do not need to install anything but the MMC 7.7.0.1 and do not need the MMC 7-6-noDVD. Any comments on this little discrepancy? Also for us newbs, Could some of the more experienced techies, share some input on what software to install. I know between the progs that come with the 8500DV and a SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum, you end up with a bunch of stuff that it really seems could be excluded. I personally would prefer to purchase the bad boy programs and ditch all that stuff that comes with the video and audio card. I have to give it to you guys, especially Sasha, for helping me get my computer straightened out. I was about to return the Audigy before I stumbled into Rage3D. Still giving me fits but atleast I am learning all kinds of stuff and making progress getting this box working properly. Thanks again !!!
Antec 300, Corsair HX5650W, Asus P5Q PRO Turbo, Intel Q9550, Thermalright SI-128-SE, 2x4 G.Skiell PC64000 DDR2, XFX 4890, 640 Black OS Drive, 2 640 Blacks RAID-0, Audiotrak Prodigy HD2, Vantec SATA EzSwap, Mitsumi floppy, Lian-Li card reader, Lian Li T4, Dell E198WFP, AudioEngine 5 speakers.
[/color]

Last edited by Hookem : Sep 3, 2002 at 09:41 PM.
Hookem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 08:33 PM   #28
moviewatcher666

moviewatcher666 is still being judged by the masses

Default My experience

I have to give a big thanks to Sasha for his instructions for the ATI drivers.
I have been successfully using the AIW 128 for my video card for a couple of years in Windows 98SE. I have caputured numerous SVCD files and have been successful in playing them in my DVD player. The 3D gaming in the card has been very good also.
Then I recently bought the Spider-Man the Movie game. Guess what! It requires a new hardware feature called Transform & Light (T&L). So now I have to upgrade something that has been working great. I started to cringe.
Through my research, I found the ATI AIW Radeon 7500 to be the best in terms of form, function & price.
So I started to install. Everything seemed to go smoothly. Ran the Spider-Man game and it worked great. All other programs in MMC worked. Tried to video capture...no good. Crap!! When I started to capture, it would start at about 20% lost frames and go down after about 30 secs to read <1%. The quality was terrible.
So I started searching the net because through previous experience ATI was no help. Came across Sasha's post. I thought i got nothing to lose.
I uninstalled everything. I couldn't believe how much was left from the AIW 128 card (drivers & stuff). Getting rid of the VXDs, INFs and so on was I think a very important step.
Re-installed all the software. Guess what? Everything worked better than before. It installed beautifully. Now my captures are working again. I do notice that I can't do ANYTHING while capturing, but as long as I follow that rule, I can capture for hours without lost frames.
So there is my 2 cents worth. Hats off to Sasha for the great help he has bestowed onto me.
moviewatcher666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2002, 01:44 PM   #29
shasha
Meatwad

Glad I could help.

As for the WinXP activation thing it may have thought that you installed a new video card and that was enough to think it was another PC. It also may have rearranged resources to the point that it fooled it too.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 07:46 PM   #30
TonyT

TonyT is still being judged by the masses

I too would like to say a big 'Thank you' to Shasha. I was really tearing my hair out before I followed your guide.
Just one question, everything seems to be OK with video capture but the ATI self test tells me that I have problems with the installation of the capture drivers/files. Any ideas why?
With VCD2 I am happily burning programs on to CD's (1 hour a CD) and although not up to DVD quality it is a lot better than VHS. I am using a Radeon 7500 A-I-W with an AMD 761 chip based motherboard. Thanks again.
TonyT is offline   Reply With Quote