Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:08 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber
Default Sim/RTS Recommendations

Looking for recommendations on a good RTS or city building sim type game from the past few years or so. I've looked at Anno 2205 and Tropico 6, but am undecided on a purchase. Civ VI is a maybe as well. I enjoyed 4, 5, and Beyond Earth. Also a big fan of past SimCity games. Command and Conquer is my favorite RTS genre.

Any other suggestions? Need an RTS/Sim fix!
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:27 AM   #2
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Cities skylines
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:29 AM   #3
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

If you liked C&C, check out 8-bit Armies:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/427250/8Bit_Armies/

I wouldn't buy it at full price (and I didn't), but it's a good C&C clone style RTS and really good if you can get it on sale. They have a few other variations from the same developer to consider as well.
Mahjik is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 15, 2019, 01:07 PM   #4
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Anno 1800, Cities Skylines with all expansions, or Civ 6 with all expansions. (the games are too bare without expansions except Anno).

As for RTS, prey that the C&C Remaster coming isn't shite.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2019, 02:01 PM   #5
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

Frostpunk is a must-play!

8-Bit Armies/Hordes/Invaders is one of the few decent options when it comes to modern RTS games.

I also highly recommend SpellForce 3, which has an awesome mixture of CRPG and RTS. Apparently the stand-alone sequel (Soul Harvest) improves on the original in every way though.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 02:20 PM   #6
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Going to add Steampunk and Cities Skylines to the watch list and snatch them up on the first sale. They look great. Thanks guys!

8-bit Armies looks good too, but maybe a little too simple for my tastes. Will check out some gameplay vids when I get home.

Open to more recommendations.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 02:30 PM   #7
John C Flett
Grumpy Bunny

John C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete stranger

Well, I just posted in the Deals thread but Tank Warfare Tunisia 1943 is a good deep RTS and really cheap at Fanatical right now.

Not the easiest game to get into ( though easier than the original Graviteam Tactics ) but a lot of depth.

John C Flett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2019, 03:23 PM   #8
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Going to add Steampunk and Cities Skylines to the watch list and snatch them up on the first sale. They look great. Thanks guys!

8-bit Armies looks good too, but maybe a little too simple for my tastes. Will check out some gameplay vids when I get home.

Open to more recommendations.
Cities Skylines by far. If you liked Sim City before it turned to ****, this is the game you'll want. It's easily worth the purchase. It looks like there's even a New Player bundle that includes a few of the DLCs they've released. They put out new content pretty regularly and there's a TON of mods & add-ons in the Steam Workshop for this game. It's worth it.

Did you mean Frostpunk? I'd get Cities Skylines before Frostpunk. But that's also a pretty terrific game.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2019, 04:35 PM   #9
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Did you mean Frostpunk? I'd get Cities Skylines before Frostpunk. But that's also a pretty terrific game
Definitely meant Frostpunk. Typing on phones is getting harder as I get older.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 09:36 PM   #10
JohnnyFlash
Radeon R520

JohnnyFlash is still being judged by the masses

Have you played Supreme Commander? The forged alliance community is still going strong and there's lots of single player.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 03:55 AM   #11
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Frostpunk is also a really good game, Morality vs survival. I'm hoping that game has more content coming.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2019, 03:55 AM   #12
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

well there's actually a lot of these kind of games now...

cliff empire, a cheapo city builder

foundation, a medieval city builder, on early access

kingdom and castles, city builder + combat element like stronghold

there are billions, survival tower defense + rts + rpg

surviving mars, martian city builder

northgard, viking age of mythology like rts

banished, medieval survival city builder like frostpunk

ancestors legacy, a medieval CoH, not to much depth in this one though

cossacks 3

syrian warfare, hardcore tactical rts like men of war but in syrian war, this one is very deep in the tactical mechanics... but it has not so high production quality -aka low budget indie, from russia nonetheless - so it's not as polished as MoW/CoH/WiC

wargame red dragon, the last iteration of wargame series

zero-k, a literally free to play supreme commander/ashes of the singularity "clone"

if you want management sim games there are games like factorio, 2.0 hospital, planet coaster, rise of industry, etc... there are a lot of these games nowdays, there's still plenty if you want to include RTS grand strategy, TBS, etc...

Last edited by Napoleonic : Aug 16, 2019 at 04:03 AM.
Napoleonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2019, 04:23 AM   #13
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

a new homeworld is coming.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 06:24 AM   #14
twonha
Yods be silent!

twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I'm really enjoying Islanders at the moment. It's super clean, super simple in its basic premise, but a lot of fun to figure out and super relaxing to play. Pretty graphics led by the pleasant aesthetic, fitting music, and gameplay that's quick to pick up, but not necessarily easy to master.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1046030/

Costs only €5 on Steam.