Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Rage3D Articles and Reviews Comments
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rage3D Articles and Reviews Comments Your commentary and feedback on Rage3D original features and reviews.

Old Mar 26, 2013, 03:21 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Default Arma 3 Technical Preview

We dive into the alpha for military shooter Arma 3 and analyze its technical options, performance, and more.

Arma 3 Technical Preview @ Rage3D.com
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:36 AM   #2
MustangDelta

MustangDelta is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
We dive into the alpha for military shooter Arma 3 and analyze its technical options, performance, and more.

Arma 3 Technical Preview @ Rage3D.com
Hate to state the obviousm but this is an Alpha....its in the title of the software itself and remind the player of this when loading up.

The inventory system is by no means complete, but should be viewed as not one of a FPS, but more a blend of FPS and RPG. While the game is absolutely a FPS (Military Simulator to be more precise) the inventory system allows for the swapping of scopes, silencers, uniforms and even vests. Not an easy UI to write for.

There are two things to judge the Arma series on, neither of which are any other games on the market.

1) What has progressed since the last game. The reviewer acknowledges they have not played it. The Inventory system, stance options, enhanced editor (even at this early stage) and character customization are all quantum leaps from anything that came before it in this series. You add on the things that remain constant...a completely open world, if you see it, you can go to it...there are no areas telling you to return to the battlefield, there is no additional loading required to walk from one end of the island to the other. This sandbox allows for endless mods and a number creatable missions onnly limited to a players imagination.

This type of review should come no sooner than the beta when there are more than two choppers and two cars per faction. The game's predecessor has fifty (?) aircraft available to place in the editor and more vehicles than I care to count.

Nice to see the game getting attention though! Thanks for that!
Old Mar 30, 2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Pixel_$hader
Been there..done that

Pixel_$hader is still being judged by the masses

Just my two cents thrown in, I have a EVGA Geforce GTX 680 4GB edition paired to a i7 3770k CPU and I am able to turn on Terrain features to ultra. I can definately say that at 1080p resolution having the extra 2GB of Ram on the GPU helps. Arma definately does not scale well with top end pc's but it is indeed still Alpha and optimizations are bound to happen.

I went from a 2gb GeForce GTX660 ti to a 4GB GeForce GTX 680 and I can definately run the game much smoother with Ultra settinx and 2 or 4x FXAA as well. Curious to see if there are any 7950 or 7990 Radeon users who can give their input as well.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 1, 2013, 02:28 AM   #4
Thr0tt
Radeon Arctic Islands

Thr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyThr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyThr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Runs smooth for me, aa however causes mouse lag, most options high or ultra.

7850 2gb