Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Rage3D Articles and Reviews Comments
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rage3D Articles and Reviews Comments Your commentary and feedback on Rage3D original features and reviews.

Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:40 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Default Rage3D Kombuting, Linux Mint edition

This special installation of Kombuting is dedicated to Linux Mint: we installed the No.1 Linux Distribution (according to DistroWatch) and we post our findings. Work, gaming, customization, problems we encountered and how we came to solve them. So if you are curious about running Linux, this should give you an idea about what to expect.

Kombuting: Linux Mint edition
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:19 PM   #2
DiaperJe|\|i3
Proud Papa

DiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Great article! Nice to see some Linux lovin. Haven't tried Cinnamon yet. I have been pretty much strictly XFCE since Ubuntu went Unity. Still use gnome at work (Redhat). XFCE not the prettiest but pretty enough, lightweight and extremely easy to use.

Tried out Windows 8 for a while and while it is very fast it lacks cohesion. It feels like someone superglued a windows phone on my windows pc. 7 is still the best windows OS to date.

Between Kickstarter and Steam I'm considering building a dedicated linux gaming build.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:43 PM   #3
bman212121
Radeon R520

bman212121 is still being judged by the masses

Nice article Lupine! I'm actually pretty impressed with how well Mint handled everything you threw at it. I thought for sure when you tried to switch from Cinnamon to gnome 3 it was going to crash and burn. I fear updating gnome-shell as every time I've done it I'll be back at the command prompt for days figuring out what broke.

I also like Gnome 3 better as you start to get used to quickly pushing the mouse into the corner and opening up a full screen menu. The window preview is also very handy to move between several open windows.

When it comes to games PlayOnLinux actually does work well. I've tried many times before to use WINE and it never went well. Having a simple graphical interface that will automatically download the correct version of WINE that is known to work with your program, and make the configuration changes really helps get you off the ground.

For Steam it's actually better to just install it through PlayOnLinux because then you can try to install steam games directly to the box. I have a feeling if there is going to be a Linux based Steambox this might be the configuration used. It allowed me to download Torchlight II directly from steam and install the game. (If you use the Native client it won't even attempt to download the game) There are a couple of config file changes that needed to be done to disable AA since it caused graphical corruption, but after that I was up and able to play.

I definitely might give Mint a try someday as it sounds like it works well. On the software side it seems like they are getting closer and closer to having a fully working graphical experience for Linux. For hardware it seems like you had about the same luck I've had with Ubuntu in the past. I've always been put off by Ubuntu because some piece of hardware wasn't working right. There is nothing worse than spending an hour installing to find out that your sound card makes a popping noise every 5 seconds or you go to click on something and the computer freezes up. When I was more of a novice user trying to find solutions for problems like those ruins the experience. But if you are using a bit older hardware and everything goes smoothly, it can provide something fun to tinker with.
Q6600 G0 3 gigers - ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme w/ Scythe Kama - XFX 780I - 8GB Patriot 4-4-4-12 DDR2-800 - Diamond HD5870 - Dell 2407WFP - Intel 160GB G2 - X-FI Fatal1ty - Logitech Z5500 - Sennheiser HD555 - ThermalTake Toughpower 850W - CM Stacker 830 Custom - Logitech G5 - Saitek Eclipse II - Windows 7 x64
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:50 PM   #4
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman212121 View Post
Nice article Lupine!
Thank you. It was a lot of work, but well worth it. Oh, wait, Kombatant did all the work. Oops!

Yes, I enjoyed reading it too, and plan to break out Linux again here soon, for the first time in years. I fit the category of Linux noob, so am one of those that would be beating my head repeatedly against error messages. Interesting how some of the issues seen a decade ago, like manually partitioning if you're not using the full disk, are still present. Reminds me, time to go degausse my CRT again.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 01:00 AM   #5
FiggyG
Radeon Caribbean Islands

FiggyG once held a door open for a complete strangerFiggyG once held a door open for a complete strangerFiggyG once held a door open for a complete stranger

Good read. I just installed Mint 14 on all my machines here, but the laptop got the 32-bit Mate edition... it's ancient. It's been amazing to use so far, and I've been playing games from the Humble Indie Bundle. I'm rather surprised the GTX 680 didn't at least give you VGA
Old Mar 14, 2013, 03:48 AM   #6
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Kombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Thanks for your kind words guys Yes, even though I had to troubleshoot quite a few issues, I like Mint as well, especially compared to Ubuntu, which I feel has lost its way the past couple of years. To give you an idea, two years ago, after running Ubuntu for many years, I tried Debian Squeeze just for kicks. The result was (after I troubleshooted 3 times the issues I had with Mint ) a system much snappier than Ubuntu, utilizing almost half the RAM!

I plan to do more open source things in the future since I work with Linux daily, so stay tuned
Old Mar 14, 2013, 05:54 PM   #7
Dr. Zhivago
Sound: Serious Business

Dr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwards

Thanks for the write-up. I appreciate the detail. However, all this does for me is reiterate how not-ready-for-prime-time Linux is. I install every few years on various hardware configs and it just seems to me to be still so unpolished. Why do I need to use the command line so much? Why is is such a pain to install drivers or software packages?

Anyway, I'm glad you're happy with it and that it works for you.

Peace.

Bedroom PC - Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 - AMD 1100T @3.7/4GHz - H50 - 8GB DDR3-1600 - HD 7870 OC - Samsung 840 250GB - WD 640GB Blue - Xonar DX - LG BDROM - Logitech 6110 - TT Volos - Antec 900 - CM 500W PSU - Samsung 32" HDTV - Onkyo TX-SR606 - BIC L/R & MTX Surround Speakers - Mission C70 Center - Sony 10" Sub - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

HTPC - Gigabyte GA-890GPA~UD3H - AthlonII X4 630 - HD6450 - 8GB DDR3-1333 - WD 500GB Black - WD 640GB Green - WD 2TB Green - LG BDROM - Ceton InfiniTV 4 w/ MCE Remote - Logitech MX5000 Laser Desktop - Corsair 450W - Silverstone LC10B-E - Sharp Aquos 46" HDTV - Onkyo TX-SR606 - PE 15" Sub - Classic Mission Speakers - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Office PC - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H - Intel 3570K - 16GB DDR3-1866 - HD 7950 FLEX - Samsung 840 250GB - WD 500GB Blue - WD 1TB Black - Xonar DX - Corsair 600W PSU - Antec ON1E - Logitech G5 - Logitech USB Media KB - AOC 23" LCD - Creative Inspire 2.1 - Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

5x Presentation Machines - Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 - FX-8350 w/ FX WC - 8GB DDR3-1600 - 5870 or 7870 Eyefinity 6 - 2x Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - WD 500GB Black - DVDRW - Cooler Master Sileo 500 - 600W PSU - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit - Office 2010 Pro
Old Mar 14, 2013, 06:49 PM   #8
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Nice write-up.

I haven't messed around with Mint for a bit, but I am liking the review

How's driver support for old Intel IGP's?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:15 AM   #9
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Kombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Zhivago View Post
Thanks for the write-up. I appreciate the detail. However, all this does for me is reiterate how not-ready-for-prime-time Linux is. I install every few years on various hardware configs and it just seems to me to be still so unpolished. Why do I need to use the command line so much? Why is is such a pain to install drivers or software packages?

Peace.
I won't argue with you there, and I think you can read my frustration at some points of the review about that exact same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Nice write-up.

I haven't messed around with Mint for a bit, but I am liking the review

How's driver support for old Intel IGP's?
Should work beautifully out of the box afaik.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:18 PM   #10
DarkFoss
Radeon R700

DarkFoss is still being judged by the masses

Great review..it's been a few years since I tried Mint happy to see they are improving with every release.
Imo it was long overdue that other linux distro's ported Mandrake/Mandriva's Software Control Center.

I do like debian but I'm too big a fan of Kde to switch and will be sticking with Mageia for some time yet..but always nice to have alternatives
Old Mar 17, 2013, 06:26 PM   #11
DiaperJe|\|i3
Proud Papa

DiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Zhivago View Post

Peace.
I dunno, I don't think you ever HAVE to use the command line anymore. However, like powershell, there's a crapload of things you can do with a little time investment.

grep -i -r ftw!
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:02 PM   #12
Athlon-pv
Radeon R420

Athlon-pv is still being judged by the masses

Been using Suse for good few years now , reading your installation story is something which I find funny.
The reason is that Linux still needs a good amount of user input or manual installation which is okay by me (for you too) but the idea that Linux will at some point not need this or more or less be stupid proof is wishful thinking.

The whole thing doesn't look like Linux is better then Windows which is somewhat beside the point. Linux allows (once installed) better performance less of a change of screwing up your installation, less of a hassle regarding certain programmes which on the windows side are down right dangerous (name any fave MS app that comes free with windows, which requires a day job of checking if they are up to date or still not patched for backdoors that have been reported (no not notepad)).

My gaming machine is still windows based, but my net(note)book been linux based always, the performance is great. I miss 0 applications (maybe winamp (read somewhere there is a native linux version somewhere?).

Maybe as a followup to your article "bite size" information on what Valve is doing with steambox see where that is going ?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:20 AM   #13
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I used Mint in the past and it has been excellent. Much better than the vanilla ubuntu. It had trouble with my ancient laptop. Could not detect the screen properly so it was extremely difficult to use.

For my main rig, I like using Mint. It pretty much detected everything out of the box. It was a better experience than XP. Tempted to start using the LiveDVD again and perhaps get in the habit of using that to make online purchases as an extra layer of protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.