Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Rage3D Articles and Reviews Comments
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rage3D Articles and Reviews Comments Your commentary and feedback on Rage3D original features and reviews.

Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:46 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Default Rage3D Kombuting, November 30 edition

After a month of absence (no, Kombatant wasn't lazy...again!), another dosage of Kombuting for your viewing pleasure. We tackle subjects such as dumb AMD and Intel decisions, Surface Pro and a Humble Bundle to get!

Rage3D Kombuting, November 30 edition
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:23 AM   #2
acroig
Master Troll

acroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Totally agree on AMD's situation. It truly is a shame.

yoz

Last edited by acroig : Dec 1, 2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:53 AM   #3
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Honestly in regards to Intel and attaching the processor to the motherboard: Everytime I go to upgrade a intel platform I'm usually faced with having to upgrade the motherboard anyway because intel likes to switch sockets every 5 minutes.

Also we really need new consoles so all this hardware we have can finally start getting pushed. My 3 year old I5-750 is still chugging along laughing at anything I throw at it (granted its at 3.8ghz).

It truly would be a shame to see AMD disappear from the desktop CPU and GPU markets. I fear price gouging and the lack of progress will be a result, though AMD is no saint when it comes to price gouging.

Last edited by Dave : Dec 1, 2012 at 09:59 AM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:32 AM   #4
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Dave, and do you honestly believe motherboard manufacturers will release 10 different versions of each board? We will have fewer choices in the end.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:52 PM   #5
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Either that or we'll have to wait longer to get mobo/proc combos, and at a higher cost - boutiques will order mobo + cpu combinations after you buy.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:16 PM   #6
spike700
Rage3D Veteran

spike700 is still being judged by the masses

Or could be all the Broadwell BGA talk is just FUD. Broadwell is a SOC and designed for the mobile market. Perhaps it brings nothing to the CPU side over Haswell aside from a process shrink. It would make a certain amount of sense to only release it as BGA if this were the case. Even hardcore enthusiasts aren't likely to shell out for a new motherboard and CPU with no performance improvement.
If the rumors of Skylake returning to a socketed system are true, it could be that Intel plans to let the DIY/enthusiast market live off Haswell until Skylake is released.
Regardless, as CPU's become more and more integrated, the motherboard is going to become nothing more than a PCB to hold IO ports, with all the features and available ports determined by the installed CPU.
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
****nig amzanig huh?
------------------------------------------------------
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:26 PM   #7
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Broadwell is a codename, not a product, same as Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge. There are IB mobile processors, desktop processors, high performance parts and low performance parts, ultra low voltage, unlocked, and they are most certainly not all the same die, so no, Broadwell is not an SoC designed for the mobile market, although there will be SoC's designed for the mobile market called Broadwell.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:31 PM   #8
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Maybe it is too early yet but Trinity looks like a hit from AMD. Any news there? As in no production issues, high sells, many OEMs buying etc.

Also AMD selling memory, SSD's etc. also sees like a good idea to sell stuff which all you have to do is get your name on it type R&D.

AMD with the graphics division also looks to be doing great in having a great line of products.

WiiU, does AMD make anything off of the GPU per console or is that a one lump sum deal?

Actually selling the campus sounds like a good idea, if it is not producing anything get rid of it. Lean out that Company! Sometimes a companies profitbility is inversely proportional to the size of their main head quarters. Put the people on the deckplates and make them perform.

AMD server side? That is usually a rather big cash cow if all is going well.

Interested more in Intel going into the mobile market if they are news because it would be interesting to see how the competition responds when the ape enters the ring.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 01:24 PM   #9
spike700
Rage3D Veteran

spike700 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Broadwell is a codename, not a product, same as Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge. There are IB mobile processors, desktop processors, high performance parts and low performance parts, ultra low voltage, unlocked, and they are most certainly not all the same die, so no, Broadwell is not an SoC designed for the mobile market, although there will be SoC's designed for the mobile market called Broadwell.
I know Boardwell is a codename not a product, it is the architecture that is code named Broadwell, an arch that integrates the PCH into the CPU package in an MCM. The soldered on desktop product will be a SoC.
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
****nig amzanig huh?
------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by spike700 : Dec 2, 2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:00 PM   #10
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike700 View Post
I know Boardwell is a codename not a product, it is the architecture that is code named Broadwell, an arch that integrates the PCH into the CPU package in an MCM. The soldered on desktop product will be a SoC.
If they are going to go this route it would be nice if they put 16GB of RAM on-die as well using an insane speed 512-bit bus or something like that.

If there were some technical advantage I'd be all for soldered stuff. But just adding the PCH.. probably not.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:58 AM   #11
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

It'll likely have stacked memory as well, what the capacity and speed will be is unknown.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:53 AM   #12
Redeemed
Radeon Arctic Islands

Redeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I cannot see the BGA package being good news at all for our hobby. If anything, I kinda' agree that Intel doesn't really intend Broadwell to be for enthusiasts and rather intends Skylake for us, expecting is to be content with Haswell untill Skylake's release.

That said, if Broadwell is a sign of things to come from Intel then honestly this present system of mine is likely the last Intel system I'll own. Even at the cost of performance I'd much prefer giving my money to AMD.

If Intel doesn't abandon us then I'll probably wait for Skylake before I consider upgrading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitslayer View Post
congratulations on the anniversary of your emancipation from the Great Uterine Squeeze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post
There are two types of people in the world: those that are humble and those that will be.