Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

"

Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:34 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
FX-Overclocking
Rage3D Spammer

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

nVidia Verizon phones with WiFi but no data plan?

Are there any phones for Verizon that let you use a full browser through WiFi, but don't require any data plan. In otherwise a phone that lets you use WiFi without 3G/4G contracts. My folks need new phones.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
Are there any phones for Verizon that let you use a full browser through WiFi, but don't require any data plan. In otherwise a phone that lets you use WiFi without 3G/4G contracts. My folks need new phones.
That is why I am eyeing a tablet. I don't/cant use cell phones at work. I dont go anywhere, so I always have wifi. Why spend at least $720 for a 2 year contract data plan?

Short answer, I am 99% certain all wifi phones on VZ.com are smartphones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-a-m-e View Post
Snatches scare me. I once saw this dude break his elbow doing one :shock:
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:07 PM   #3
FX-Overclocking
Rage3D Spammer

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Yeah, my folks have a tablet but they are wanting a new phone and like the idea of a little web browsing but flat out refuse to pay extra per month.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Elysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwards

There isn't anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
Come to my neighborhood and take a swing at me. I will kill you and I will walk.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:29 AM   #5
FX-Overclocking
Rage3D Spammer

I wonder, is that because it's not possible or because they're trying to force people into data plans?

Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:32 AM   #6
Mahjik
Rage3D Veteran

Mahjik once held a door open for a complete strangerMahjik once held a door open for a complete strangerMahjik once held a door open for a complete strangerMahjik once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
I wonder, is that because it's not possible or because they're trying to force people into data plans?
Probably more that the demand isn't there... People buy phones to have access from just about anywhere (i.e. 3G/4G data plans). Tablets pretty much fill this market today of WiFi only.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:18 PM   #7
FX-Overclocking
Rage3D Spammer

Is there a way to put a "smartphone" on a dumbphone" plan without data then??? Like if they buy one on eBay?

Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:05 PM   #8
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Is there a way to put a "smartphone" on a dumbphone" plan without data then??? Like if they buy one on eBay?
Possibly.

But if so, then be very careful because they will get raped on data overages if they accidentally use data when they don't have a data plan...

Honestly, I think they force you to at least sign up for the minimum data package.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:12 PM   #9
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

Get a pay as you go phone or an unlocked one which can be used as pay as you go, as long as it has some credit it can be used for phone calls and can be used for wifi for free, some come with free data per topup for none-wifi connections. If it isn't topped up you can still use wifi. At least that's how it is in the UK, I would assume civilised parts of the world would be similar.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:40 PM   #10
bman212121
Radeon HD 6950

bman212121 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Force people into data plans. Last time my friend checked he couldn't even get his BB without a data plan...

I would also suggest looking for one of the prepaid carriers like straight talk. http://www.straighttalk.com/ServicePlans

$30 a month gets you 1,000 minutes and 1,000 texts a month. You have a small 30MB web access for those few times you might want to use 3G data. I've looked at a few others and this seems like the cheapest plan for talk and text. T-mobile also has a prepaid plan that is somewhat similar except it's 1500 minutes or texts.... Not really sure exactly what they mean by that. http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans
Q6600 G0 3 gigers - ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme w/ Scythe Kama - XFX 780I - 8GB Patriot 4-4-4-12 DDR2-800 - Diamond HD5870 - Dell 2407WFP - Intel 160GB G2 - X-FI Fatal1ty - Logitech Z5500 - Sennheiser HD555 - ThermalTake Toughpower 850W - CM Stacker 830 Custom - Logitech G5 - Saitek Eclipse II - Windows 7 x64
bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:08 PM   #11
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once held a door open for a complete strangerTrunks0 once held a door open for a complete strangerTrunks0 once held a door open for a complete strangerTrunks0 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Most smartphones, if not all, are capable of what you are asking. The problem is usually that the carriers won't let you buy a smart phone on contract without a data plan.

Of course if you buy the phone outright, you can probably get whatever plan you want.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 8Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - 120GiB HD Samsung 840 -
3TiB Seagate Expansion (USB 3.0 external) - PowerColor Radeon R7 260x TurboDuo - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 8.1 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:18 PM   #12
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Elysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Most smartphones, if not all, are capable of what you are asking. The problem is usually that the carriers won't let you buy a smart phone on contract without a data plan.

Of course if you buy the phone outright, you can probably get whatever plan you want.
Verizon won't let you run a smartphone period without a data plan...
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
Come to my neighborhood and take a swing at me. I will kill you and I will walk.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:28 PM   #13
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once held a door open for a complete strangerTrunks0 once held a door open for a complete strangerTrunks0 once held a door open for a complete strangerTrunks0 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Well isn't that a contrived requirement for Verizon to implement. No way to use a sim card to get around it?

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 8Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - 120GiB HD Samsung 840 -
3TiB Seagate Expansion (USB 3.0 external) - PowerColor Radeon R7 260x TurboDuo - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 8.1 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:33 PM   #14
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
This is correct. I tried it with my Craig's List phones and no dice. If people want Verizon voice but no data plan go to Page Plus.

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/onl...e/minutes.aspx

Some people are having Verizon iPhones activated on that network. I know a slew of android devices are running off it.

With this you get their big red voice towers without big red dictated data.

EDIT: Just to be clear, with PagePlus you can take your Verizon Android smart phone and pay for a voice/text only plan and use your wifi for web browsing.

Last edited by guest : Jul 24, 2012 at 06:30 PM.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:49 PM   #15
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Well isn't that a contrived requirement for Verizon to implement. No way to use a sim card to get around it?
FWIW, CDMA doesn't use sim cards.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:53 PM   #16
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
FWIW, CDMA doesn't use sim cards.
I own three verizon phones that have SIM cards. Every last Verizon phone that has 4G LTE has a SIM card because it's a GSM standard. Two of my phones can use the GSM standard outside of the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_(telecommunication)

Quote:
LTE (an initialism of Long Term Evolution), marketed as 4G LTE, is a standard for wireless communication of high-speed data for mobile phones and data terminals. It is based on the GSM/EDGE and UMTS/HSPA network technologies, increasing the capacity and speed using new modulation techniques.[1][2] The standard is developed by the 3GPP (3rd Generation Partnership Project) and is specified in its Release 8 document series, with minor enhancements described in Release 9.
The world's first publicly available LTE service was launched by TeliaSonera in Oslo and Stockholm on 14 December 2009.[3] LTE is the natural upgrade path for carriers with GSM/UMTS networks, but even CDMA holdouts such as Verizon Wireless, who launched the first large-scale LTE network in North America in 2010,
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:22 PM   #17
LimeyGeeza
Get down with da sickness

LimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete stranger

I might be way off here, but an Ipod touch will do what you are asking - it's basically an Iphone without the 'phone' part... but it'll only work like a phone using skype.
LimeyGeeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:46 PM   #18
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
This is correct. I tried it with my Craig's List phones and no dice. If people want Verizon voice but no data plan go to Page Plus.

Some people are having Verizon iPhones activated on that network. I know a slew of android devices are running off it.

EDIT: Just to be clear, with PagePlus you can take your Verizon Android smart phone and pay for a voice/text only plan and use your wifi for web browsing.
**** me up the ass. Those give Tmobile a run for it's money in the no-contract/prepaid.

Me gusta.

Quote:
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:58 AM   #19
bman212121
Radeon HD 6950

Quote:
I own three verizon phones that have SIM cards. Every last Verizon phone that has 4G LTE has a SIM card because it's a GSM standard. Two of my phones can use the GSM standard outside of the United States.

Yes, you use a SIM card for LTE Data. But Voice operates off of EVDO which is CDMA. So you have to have that phone's MEI activated in order for voice to work. Same for 3G data to work. My phone is a global phone with a SIM card in it, but it does doesn't do anything because I don't have 4G.
Q6600 G0 3 gigers - ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme w/ Scythe Kama - XFX 780I - 8GB Patriot 4-4-4-12 DDR2-800 - Diamond HD5870 - Dell 2407WFP - Intel 160GB G2 - X-FI Fatal1ty - Logitech Z5500 - Sennheiser HD555 - ThermalTake Toughpower 850W - CM Stacker 830 Custom - Logitech G5 - Saitek Eclipse II - Windows 7 x64
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:40 AM   #20
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

Quote:

Yes, LTE uses sim cards. My Galaxy Nexus has one.

But pure CDMA phones (3G), do not. Given the currently limited LTE coverage, odds are you will not be using your sim card, as bman pointed out above.

Last edited by ViN86 : Jul 25, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:03 PM   #21
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman212121 View Post
Yes, you use a SIM card for LTE Data. But Voice operates off of EVDO which is CDMA. So you have to have that phone's MEI activated in order for voice to work. Same for 3G data to work. My phone is a global phone with a SIM card in it, but it does doesn't do anything because I don't have 4G.
The long term plan is to use voice over LTE. From what I've read only a couple of the initial phones cannot do voice over LTE.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/08/v...-lte-mid-year/

Quote:
the LG Revolution -- announced at CES last month -- will be Verizon's first VoLTE device when it launches mid-year
But their plans were pushed back a bit..

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...lte/2012-05-30

Quote:
"We're optimistic and bullish but we're not rushing it. We will enable it in 2012," he said. "My view is there is no reason to force customers to it." He said for a certain time period Verizon will allow customers to use VoLTE with Rich Communication Suite (RCS) as well as traditional CDMA voice to allow them to get used to the idea of voice being an application. He said that later in 2013 and into 2014, Verizon may begin to offer VoLTE as its only voice offering.
I have been off and on researching of voLTE for over a year. I would like to use one radio to help with battery life. I can't wait for Verizon to flip the service on. Long Term Evolution is not just about data.

Edit: Watch Verizon voLTE become a data app that requires a data plan.

Last edited by guest : Jul 25, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:39 PM   #22
bman212121
Radeon HD 6950

Quote:
The long term plan is to use voice over LTE. From what I've read only a couple of the initial phones cannot do voice over LTE.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/08/v...-lte-mid-year/

But their plans were pushed back a bit..

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...lte/2012-05-30

I have been off and on researching of voLTE for over a year. I would like to use one radio to help with battery life. I can't wait for Verizon to flip the service on. Long Term Evolution is not just about data.

Edit: Watch Verizon voLTE become a data app that requires a data plan.
How about they just say nvm to voLTE all together and just enable VoIP on LTE? They will probably still want to charge you minutes though...

I didn't think they were even that close to using voLTE. I would have to imagine that it's still kind of a moot point to really turn it on just yet because there are many areas without 4G and other phones without 4G. So if you call voLTE to any non voLTE phone you would have to revert to lower audio quality, and if you were driving and lost 4G there would need to be a handoff back to 1x otherwise your call is getting disconnected.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:36 AM   #23
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:

It's time like this I wish we had the reputation system still. This is really cool, thanks for sharing this info.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:34 AM   #24
Nukem987

Nukem987 is still being judged by the masses

Exclamation

There is one and only one phone type you can get that has WiFi and you do not need a data plan for.

The Microsoft Kin (And Kin2)

They are an interesting phone but have a 8MP camera, decent video and of course, WiFi.

You can't use apps with them but it has a browser and email sync. They do not sell them through verizon anymore but you can look online for one to buy.

Nukem987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 05:25 PM   #25
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukem987 View Post
There is one and only one phone type you can get that has WiFi and you do not need a data plan for.

They are an interesting phone but have a 8MP camera, decent video and of course, WiFi.

You can't use apps with them but it has a browser and email sync. They do not sell them through verizon anymore but you can look online for one to buy.

I second this. I found this a while back too. 8MP sounds good but it is ok allegedly.

Quote:
Old Oct 8, 2012, 06:43 PM   #26
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
I second this. I found this a while back too. 8MP sounds good but it is ok allegedly.
I entertained getting this phone for someone two years ago.

THE APPS DON'T WORK

Browser and email sync? You think those two items are any good by today's standards?

Microsoft shut the servers down that supported that phone on the back end. One of a string of sorry ass Microsoft failures in the mobile market. I spit on Microsoft's mobile failures yet again.

The OP said "full browser". Does the KIN support HTML 5?

http://mobilehtml5.org/

Windows moble 7.5 sucks ass compared to IOS and Android browsers. I'm sure the Kin is far behind it. Suggesting the Kin is a horrible idea.

Last edited by guest : Oct 8, 2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 09:59 PM   #27
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Microsoft shut the servers down that supported that phone on the back end. One of a string of sorry ass Microsoft failures in the mobile market. I spit on Microsoft's mobile failures yet again.

Suggesting the Kin is a horrible idea.
And MS wonder why people do not invest in their mobile products.

Kin is an excellent suggestion, because it is the only option

Quote:
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:28 AM   #28
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete stranger

You can flash some smartphones to be used on verizon's prepaid dumb phone plan which is 50/m unlimited everything (no lte but 3g). I'm not sure how it's done but there are threads on xda where people have done it.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:46 PM   #29
FX-Overclocking
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukem987 View Post

Awesome man!!!

Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:52 PM   #30
dlone01

dlone01 is still being judged by the masses

Default Phones w/out data plans that have wifi

I know the Kin one and Kin two phones dont require data but have wifi...is there any others?
dlone01 is offline   Reply With Quote