Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

"

Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:49 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Default Nintendo confirms no "multi-touch" for Wii U touchscreen controller

Nintendo doesn't want your Wii U controller to function like an iPad or an Android tablet.

It wants the GamePad to have a very distinct and specific purpose, and apparently incorporating multi-touch technology into the device goes against that purpose.

In an interview with Kotaku, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime said that the company looked at all sorts of configurations for the controller.

However, "When we went through the building of this and, given some of the functionality, we thought that single-touch was a more appropriate option, especially when you've got other button configurations," he was quoted as saying.

Source

I am thinking a simple firmware update will solve this issue maybe a year or so after the WiiU release.

Anyone know if the 3DS supports multi touch?
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:57 PM   #2
Phrygian
Rage3D Veteran

Phrygian once held a door open for a complete strangerPhrygian once held a door open for a complete strangerPhrygian once held a door open for a complete strangerPhrygian once held a door open for a complete stranger

I don't think multi-touch is something you can add with a simple firmware update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
I'd bet it would be fun to do him up the ass.
Phrygian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:01 PM   #3
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

This **** pisses me off.

gestures will add so much to the functionalty in games.

Is it because the tablet is just a screen that receives video from the WiiU? With not enough processing power to handle multitouch?

Quote:
If you know the lisp variant Clojure and would want to move to the Chicago area, PM me.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Omega53
Trolling like it's 1999

Omega53 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOmega53 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOmega53 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOmega53 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOmega53 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOmega53 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOmega53 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOmega53 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOmega53 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I think this has more to do with the fact that the screen in resistive instead of capacitive.
AMD Driver Issues
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:18 AM   #5
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once held a door open for a complete strangerTrunks0 once held a door open for a complete strangerTrunks0 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

I hope they change their mind on that one, as single touch is a pretty big step backwards. It will also really limit what you can do with the touch interface if it doesn't support multi-touch.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 8Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - 120GiB HD Samsung 840 -
3TiB Seagate Expansion (USB 3.0 external) - PowerColor Radeon R7 260x TurboDuo - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 8.1 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:21 AM   #6
The PyroPath
Qualified Thread Killer

The PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird sings

Using a multi touch capable resisitive screen and disabling multi touch to add it back in later isn't something most companies would do because they are much more expensive than non multi touch resisitive touchscreens.

BTW, I think in most cases multi touch supports is overhyped, there is a lot which can be done in other ways. remember we have buttons on the GamePad controller to! In some cases it would indeed be a better option but also more expensive to use and make. So it's a trade off. they chose not to use it and IMHO it shouldn't be a very big problem.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:05 AM   #7
delirium121
Rage3D Veteran

delirium121 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PyroPath View Post
Using a multi touch capable resisitive screen and disabling multi touch to add it back in later isn't something most companies would do because they are much more expensive than non multi touch resisitive touchscreens.

BTW, I think in most cases multi touch supports is overhyped, there is a lot which can be done in other ways. remember we have buttons on the GamePad controller to! In some cases it would indeed be a better option but also more expensive to use and make. So it's a trade off. they chose not to use it and IMHO it shouldn't be a very big problem.
PAH!

having just swapped from a restive touch mobile to a Capacitive muliti touch screen mobile its world of difference.
I cant even begin to think what Nintendo are thinking other than looking at cost and durability (in which case the wiiU is likely no more than xbox3601.2) with a silly handheld screen rather than kinect
BEWARE!.. the lemon wheels
delirium121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:07 PM   #8
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once held a door open for a complete strangerTrunks0 once held a door open for a complete strangerTrunks0 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

I doubt the cost savings is even meaningful. There are sub 100 dollar e-reader's and tablets with multi-touch, so the idea that they are saving money by doing this seems ridicules to me.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 8Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - 120GiB HD Samsung 840 -
3TiB Seagate Expansion (USB 3.0 external) - PowerColor Radeon R7 260x TurboDuo - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 8.1 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:12 PM   #9
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
I doubt the cost savings is even meaningful. There are sub 100 dollar e-reader's and tablets with multi-touch, so the idea that they are saving money by doing this seems ridicules to me.
The amount of time and people brainstorming the possibility of multi-touch, it would have been cheaper just to decide to use it from the start.

Quote:
If you know the lisp variant Clojure and would want to move to the Chicago area, PM me.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:26 PM   #10
wc326
Rage3D Veteran

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

is it the screen or is it they dont' want to pay apple for every single unit??
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:22 AM   #11
The PyroPath
Qualified Thread Killer

The PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird sings

What is meaningful and what isn't in hardware production/selling?

Pricepoints are set psychologically, $299, $349, $399, things like that. So if a resesitive screen was $1 more expensive to use, the pricepoint will not change and they will lose a dollar on each console sold opposed to using the cheaper option. When you sell millions of consoles, this will add up to a lot of money. Never underestimate the consequences of minor losses/gains per unit in the big scheme of things...

Also, people using the Gamepad controller say it is very responsive and precise and when you design the UI right and use the right components a capacitive screen can be very good and way more precise than a resisitive screen can ever be because it's pinpoint pressure accurate as opposed to global area charge accurate. If you want pinpoint accurate on a capacitive screen you need to add another layer, making it even more expensive...
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:38 AM   #12
FoxBat
Radeon HD 6870

FoxBat is still being judged by the masses

Nintendo is also the kind of company that wants to tell devs how they can and can't make their game interfaces. If they don't want devs neglecting the gamepad buttons in favor of multitouch, this is how they will stop that.
FoxBat is offline   Reply With Quote