Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Off-Topic Forums » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

"

Old May 22, 2012, 06:32 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultypax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultypax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Inventor of TV remote dies age 96

Best and worst thing ever made:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18164200

Quote:
The inventor of the television remote control has died at the age of 96, his former employer has said.

Zenith Electronics said Eugene Polley passed away of natural causes on Sunday at a Chicago hospital.

His 1955 invention, Flash-Matic, pointed a beam of light at photo cells on each corner of the TV, turning it off and on and changing the channels.

His invention was a luxury add-on in the days before hundreds of cable television channels.

Born in Chicago in 1915, Polley began his engineering career in 1935. He worked at Zenith for 47 years, earning 18 US patents.
NEW UBAH RIG 1 Dec 2009! (Upgrade 2 Jan 10th 2011!>> Upgrade 3 Jan 2013): Asus M4A89GTD Pro\USB3 Bios 2001, Phenom2 965 3.4 ghz 125w tdp, 4 x 2 OCZ 7-7-7-20 Patriot Viper ddr3 1600, Sapphire 6950 2GB Cats 11.10, X-fi fatality PCI, 1 x 750 GB seagate momentus hybrid drive. 1 x 1TB seagate 7200.11 HD, 1 x 3TB Seagate 7200.12 HD, 1 x 2TB seagate LP, Corsair TX 750w, Asus VS278Q 27" mon (new mon after 8 years of the dell 2405fpw! Very nice upgrade). Win 8 Pro

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 06:38 PM   #2
logical
Whats up my glib globs?

logical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channel

Subscriber

Single handedly made americans fat

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 06:47 PM   #3
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultypax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultypax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Thats the worst part now whats the good?
NEW UBAH RIG 1 Dec 2009! (Upgrade 2 Jan 10th 2011!>> Upgrade 3 Jan 2013): Asus M4A89GTD Pro\USB3 Bios 2001, Phenom2 965 3.4 ghz 125w tdp, 4 x 2 OCZ 7-7-7-20 Patriot Viper ddr3 1600, Sapphire 6950 2GB Cats 11.10, X-fi fatality PCI, 1 x 750 GB seagate momentus hybrid drive. 1 x 1TB seagate 7200.11 HD, 1 x 3TB Seagate 7200.12 HD, 1 x 2TB seagate LP, Corsair TX 750w, Asus VS278Q 27" mon (new mon after 8 years of the dell 2405fpw! Very nice upgrade). Win 8 Pro

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 22, 2012, 06:53 PM   #4
logical
Whats up my glib globs?

logical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channel

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Thats the worst part now whats the good?
His family probably has millions in the bank?

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 06:53 PM   #5
Omega53
Trolling like it's 1999

Omega53 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshOmega53 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshOmega53 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshOmega53 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshOmega53 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshOmega53 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshOmega53 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshOmega53 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshOmega53 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshOmega53 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Single handedly made americans fat

AMD Driver Issues
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 07:04 PM   #6
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOzzieBloke doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOzzieBloke doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOzzieBloke doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOzzieBloke doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOzzieBloke doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOzzieBloke doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOzzieBloke doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOzzieBloke doesn't need no stinkin' badges

So did they bury him down the back of the couch?
You put your left foot in, you take your left foot out, you put your left foot in, and you shake it all about. You do the Hokey Pokey and you turn around, and that's probably the first sign you suffer from severe OCD.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 07:56 PM   #7
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
His family probably has millions in the bank?
Nay! It finally brought to life to the average person something akin to the Force(TM).

www.realitysandwich.com

Old May 22, 2012, 08:07 PM   #8
Skynet
Babulerman Apprentice

Skynet doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSkynet doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSkynet doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSkynet doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSkynet doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSkynet doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSkynet doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSkynet doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSkynet doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Pretty sure the first TV remote used a type of tuning fork instead of a light emitter. The remote required no battery at all, a spring would move a hammer against a metal fork producing a high frequency sound, different sound depending on the combination of forks struck. The bad part was some birds were able to mimic the sound and the TV would appear to change channels on its own.