Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Rage3D Articles and Reviews Comments
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rage3D Articles and Reviews Comments Your commentary and feedback on Rage3D original features and reviews.

Old May 21, 2012, 08:27 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Ichneumon
Lord of the Flies

Ichneumon is still being judged by the masses

Default Rage3D Tech Review - Alan Wake's American Nightmare (PC)

Today I have the pleasure of introducing Sean Ridgeley as a new member of the Rage3D crew. He comes to us with a background in journalism, gaming, and hardware. He has freelanced with a wide variety of newspapers, magazines and websites, and currently also does work for Neoseeker.

Sean will be writing a regular series of game tech reviews and tweaking guides for us. They will focus on what you can expect graphically and hardware-wise with games. How they look, what settings work well, how under-the-hood graphics settings work and the like, and that is just the beginning. I’m excited to have Sean with us and I think you’ll like what he brings to Rage3D.

Today we have a Tech Review of Alan Wake's American Nightmare (PC), where we run the PC horror game through its paces and see how it stacks up as a console port.

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. "
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
Old May 21, 2012, 09:06 AM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Hooray!
Old May 21, 2012, 10:08 AM   #3
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Welcome to Rage3D Sean. Great to have you aboard!
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 21, 2012, 10:33 AM   #4
seanR3D
Radeon R700

seanR3D can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyseanR3D can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyseanR3D can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Hope you guys dig it. There'll be another up tonight and other content to come soon. Feel free to leave me any feedback and tell me what you might like to see in future coverage. Note I plan on including video footage in most future pieces.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:35 AM   #5
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Look forward to playing this once I play Alan Wake which I picked up on Steam for a real good price. Good review.
Old May 21, 2012, 11:43 AM   #6
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I guess good overview of settings and features? I am not sure what you guys are going for here... not really a review of the game and not really technical at all... it kind of reads more like an explanation of settings and things you would read on the back of the box if you had physically bought the game.

Not trying to sound negative all.. maybe it could be a worthwhile read if you guys tested performance with some settings on/off or something? Maybe show differences with features on and off if you didnt want to get into the performance route?

Old May 21, 2012, 11:47 AM   #7
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

Welcome
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI 3080 VENTUS 3X OC 10G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | WD Black SN750 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox One S
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
Old May 21, 2012, 12:50 PM   #8
seanR3D
Radeon R700

seanR3D can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyseanR3D can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyseanR3D can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
I guess good overview of settings and features? I am not sure what you guys are going for here... not really a review of the game and not really technical at all... it kind of reads more like an explanation of settings and things you would read on the back of the box if you had physically bought the game.

Not trying to sound negative all.. maybe it could be a worthwhile read if you guys tested performance with some settings on/off or something? Maybe show differences with features on and off if you didnt want to get into the performance route?
That is more or less what I'm going for. Unfortunately this sort of information is never on the back of the box or...anywhere really. To the discerning PC gamer, this information is pertinent. When I'm thinking about purchasing a game, it's usually a gamble as to whether or not it'll be a crappy port and/or suffer major issues; these reviews are meant to tell you what you're getting into. It's not meant to be extremely in-depth, if that's what you were expecting, just enough that you can tell whether it's worth your time or not.

Performance testing/settings/screenshot comparisons and other stuff is what I'll be doing with tweak guides. Decided not to do one for this game, though.
Old May 21, 2012, 01:38 PM   #9
minaelromany
Radeon Caribbean Islands

minaelromany can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyminaelromany can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Welcome to R3D Sean

Awesome review indeed, I was gonna ask about Eyefinity but you already covered that in the review

Quote:
Extra features

Power users can again benefit from 3D, Crossfire, SLI, and multi-monitor setups, here
Great job
SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290 4GB Vapor-X OC 1.1GHz/5.2GHz GDDR5
3 BenQ 2420HD 1080p 24" Widescreen LCD in Eyefinity
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD + 30.0TB of HDDs
Sound Blaster Z -Cambridge SoundWorks DTT 3500 Digital
Seasonic X-850
2xBenq 1640 - LiteOn iHAS120-Pioneer 111L - Samsung 203B - NEC Optiarc AD-7200S DVD+/-RW burners
NZXT Phantom Red Edition
Old May 21, 2012, 03:11 PM   #10
seanR3D
Radeon R700

Thanks for the welcomes!
Old May 21, 2012, 03:54 PM   #11
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Great review.

My only suggestion would be having animated gifs showing the differences between varies settings (Low Shadows vs High Shadows).
Old May 21, 2012, 06:14 PM   #12
seanR3D
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb2k5 View Post
Great review.

My only suggestion would be having animated gifs showing the differences between varies settings (Low Shadows vs High Shadows).
Thanks kindly.

I'll be doing screenshot comparisons and related things in tweak guides. The purpose of those is to help you fiddle with settings and determine the optimal tradeoff between performance and visual fidelity; reviews are more for a general rundown of features and performance.

I didn't do a tweak guide for this one because it performs identically to the original game, and also as mentioned, it doesn't seem to scale much, so there's little point in reducing settings.
Old May 21, 2012, 07:44 PM   #13
PowerK
Gamer

PowerK is still being judged by the masses

Cheers for the great review, Sean.
Welcome to R3D !
Intel 6950X @ 4.4GHz | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 - 32GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200 14-14-14-34 1T | 2x TITAN Xp SLI | Intel 750 1.2TB PCI-E NVMe | 4x Intel 730 SSD 480GB RAID-0 | EK custom loop + Mo-Ra 3 | Corsair AX1500i | Corsair K65 RGB Rapidfire | Alienware AW3418DW Ultrawide | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Bose Companion 50 | MyTek Brooklyn DAC | Sennheiser HDVD 800 | Sennheiser HD800S

Intel 6700K @ 4.7GHz - ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S | 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator | 2x ASUS Strix GTX1080OC SLI | 2x Intel 730 480GB RAID-0 | Corsair H115i | Corsair AX1200i | DELL S2716DG | Windows 10 Pro x64

Synology DS716+ NAS 12TB | 1Gbps FTTH
Old May 22, 2012, 12:27 AM   #14
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Kombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Great review man, and again, welcome to our site