Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Mar 17, 2012, 02:57 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Guybo
Anonymous Proletariat

Guybo is still being judged by the masses

Default SSD Upgrade nightmare im ready to scream

So I got an i5 2500k with an MSI Z68 G43 B3 MOBO and 3x2gb ddr3 I'm still using my gtx460 with and I put it in my case for my old system with the same 750 watt psu. Memtest passed the ram just fine.

The prob started when i installed vista 64 on the first OCZ 128GB Petrol ssd. Turns out the Petrol drive was bad. After i got it iI saw a lot of bad reviews with that drive and im sure i just got a dud. So i got an Agility 3 128gb ssd as aan rma replacement.

I installed vista 64 on that and life was good for one day. I installed the ahci drivers correctly it was smoking fastt and benched near promised speeds. Then I left the PC on overnight i woke up and the thing wasnt responsive. I had to kill power to then it off. Since then it has not worked right. BSOD or freezes. Sometimes itll BSOD when it hasn't even loaded windows sometimes after 20 minutes. Sometimes itll load ok then slow down after a few minutes and finally come to a stop.

The mobo bios and ssd firmware are the latest. I've tried lots oof stuff but im open to suggestions. Wtf is wrong with thia system?
Guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Bleeder
Radeon R420

Bleeder is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybo View Post
So I got an i5 2500k with an MSI Z68 G43 B3 MOBO and 3x2gb ddr3 I'm still using my gtx460 with and I put it in my case for my old system with the same 750 watt psu. Memtest passed the ram just fine.

The prob started when i installed vista 64 on the first OCZ 128GB Petrol ssd. Turns out the Petrol drive was bad. After i got it iI saw a lot of bad reviews with that drive and im sure i just got a dud. So i got an Agility 3 128gb ssd as aan rma replacement.

I installed vista 64 on that and life was good for one day. I installed the ahci drivers correctly it was smoking fastt and benched near promised speeds. Then I left the PC on overnight i woke up and the thing wasnt responsive. I had to kill power to then it off. Since then it has not worked right. BSOD or freezes. Sometimes itll BSOD when it hasn't even loaded windows sometimes after 20 minutes. Sometimes itll load ok then slow down after a few minutes and finally come to a stop.

The mobo bios and ssd firmware are the latest. I've tried lots oof stuff but im open to suggestions. Wtf is wrong with thia system?
I had a problem like this that actually killed on of my Corsair drives. The thing was working great then started to BSoD or would need me to pull the plug on the machine to get it to boot again. After reading many forum posts I found one that said this is probably caused by the OS trying to but the SSD to sleep. This can be change in Power Options. I've change all my machine with SSD's to stop trying to put the drive to sleep and they have all been working great for over a year now.

But, this was with Windows 7 and SSD's that came out about a year ago. I'm not sure what has change with firmware sense then but you may want to check that out.
Bleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:34 PM   #3
Guybo
Anonymous Proletariat

I had read something about that too. In windows and in the bios I disabled aany sleep functions. But that was after the morning when it first crashed. Is it possible that it went to sleep that night and that damaged the drive?
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:41 PM   #4
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I have used a number of SSDs now since they started becoming popular. I've had situations very similar to yours. Replacement after replacement would result in issue followed by more issues.

My advice is to stick to reliable drives. When I started using Intel drives, the experience was much better.

Samsung, while never leading the performance charts tends to have fairly reliable SSDs also. I recently replaced my Indilinx based Patriot Torqx drive with a Samsung 830 256GB.

I'm not saying this is what you need to do, but if you reach a point of frustration where you just want to give up, try (if you can) either a Intel 520 series, or Samsung 830 series.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:40 AM   #5
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristogod View Post
I have used a number of SSDs now since they started becoming popular. I've had situations very similar to yours. Replacement after replacement would result in issue followed by more issues.

My advice is to stick to reliable drives. When I started using Intel drives, the experience was much better.

Samsung, while never leading the performance charts tends to have fairly reliable SSDs also. I recently replaced my Indilinx based Patriot Torqx drive with a Samsung 830 256GB.

I'm not saying this is what you need to do, but if you reach a point of frustration where you just want to give up, try (if you can) either a Intel 520 series, or Samsung 830 series.
Yeah, my experience with SSDs was very similar right up until I bought the Intel 320 that I'm using now. It may not be the fastest drive in the world not that it matters much but it just works. I don't do anything different to this ssd and it just works. Its great.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:58 AM   #6
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Now you see my experience has not been like this at all I have installed close to 50 SSDs for clients and use SSDs in all my home systems and by best friend does as well adn we have seen a single SSD failure in all that time. The us the experience has been amazing.

As for the branding about 75% of those SSDs are Kingston, with the majority of the rest being OCZ.

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:48 AM   #7
Swiftdeathz
7870 CFX

Swiftdeathz is still being judged by the masses

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. One of the reasons I went with a Crucial M4 aside from the good price was the fact it is one of the more stable SSD's and doesn't use the sandforce controller (it uses a Marvel), so although it's not the fastest at compressed data writes, it is very stable and also doesn't bog down like some other drives when they begin have their capacity filled up.

I do see that the Petrol doesn't use sandforce, but another controller, but it still seems to have alot of bad reviews on the egg.
Swiftdeathz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:41 PM   #8
Guybo
Anonymous Proletariat

Yeah when I got that Petrol drive there were very few reviews on the Egg. then when I got it and had my issues, I saw a GLUT of bad reviews come in. Too late.

The RMA replacement was that 120MB Agility drive.

The RMA replacement for that one will be a 850Watt PSU. I'm done with OCZ SSD's.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:24 PM   #9
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Have you tried updating the FW to the drive yet?

There is nothing wrong with OCZ drives, my Vertex 3's having been burning along for over a year now without issue. No BSOD's or anything, just make sure you update the FW on the OCZ drives.
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, Asus Strix 3080Ti OC, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:05 AM   #10
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

This is why I will always buy Intel ssd's.

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:32 AM   #11
KAC
Whatever

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

BSOD on SSD = drive will completely die very soon. Follow advice here and get Intel.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:22 AM   #12
bittermann
I didn't do it

bittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
BSOD on SSD = drive will completely die very soon. Follow advice here and get Intel.
Do you ever post anything useful?

Update to latest firmware.
Try IDE mode instead of ACHI.
Turn of hard drive sleep in the OS or disable S3 in the bios.
If OC'ing set to stock speeds then install OS.
Try a different Sata port on the mobo.
If you have a Marvel sata port do not put it on that! Use AMD or Intel ports only.
If it's a 6GB SSD try setting the sata ports to 3GB speed only.

There are several things you can try before tossing in the towel...
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:18 PM   #13
Pesticide
Radeon R300

Pesticide is still being judged by the masses

guybo, i would actually reccomend you use the ssd as buffer cache drive for the functions your new mobo supports with the new intel technology your mobo supports

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4329/i...ching-review/2

It seems the buffering actually gets fasters after a couple of uses then the ssd drive itself, pretty impressive.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:50 PM   #14
Guybo
Anonymous Proletariat

Quote:
With the Z68 SATA controllers set to RAID (SRT won't work in AHCI or IDE modes) just install Windows 7
It was a nice thought though. I'm not dropping another $100 just to get Win7. Nah, I'm not going to mess with this thing anymore. I don't trust the drive.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:58 AM   #15
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Lol just update the FW followed by a secure erase, replace the SSD cable as well. If using sata 6gb make sure you are using the Sara 6gb cable. Do not install the RST 11.5 drivers found on station drivers. Use the version just below that in AHCI, it will work just fine.
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, Asus Strix 3080Ti OC, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:19 AM   #16
Guybo
Anonymous Proletariat

OCZ sent me a message and they think the problem was the Intel AHCI driver I was using. In ATA mode the drive did work, so I may be stuck with this thing.

So my next best bet would be to use this as a SSD cache drive (Z68 chipset) which is supported in Vista, as it turns out. There's always a catch- the drives have to be in RAID mode. Is there any way to not screw up this installation of Vista I have now and set these disks up in Raid mode?

I'm so sick of installing Windows.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:47 AM   #17
sunnyd
Where's my Starcraft 3?

sunnyd is still being judged by the masses

Man I feel your pain. I just had to reinstall win7 3 times on my backup rig but they were stupid mistakes on my part. I use Intel SSD's on both my rigs but setting up RAID should be releatively easy. For my gaming rig I just went into bios and made sure RAID was enabled, verified that the SSD's were on the right ports (since I have two RAID controllers I can use), then just setup my RAID. Oh yes - I updated the firmware for each drive individually - not because I had to but because there was one available and I wanted to make sure that they were up to date. Oh and my RAID refused to work with my 3TB internal storage drive until I updated the bios on the motherboard (P8p67 deluxe). I don't have any experience using the integrated 'cached' systems that they have now so not sure if that will throw another kink in things for you. Look at it this way - you will be installing windows onto SSD's so it should at least be a pretty fast install. You will most likely be slowed down by your DVD drive if that is what you are installing from.

Last edited by sunnyd : Mar 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
sunnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:53 AM   #18
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybo View Post
OCZ sent me a message and they think the problem was the Intel AHCI driver I was using. In ATA mode the drive did work, so I may be stuck with this thing.

So my next best bet would be to use this as a SSD cache drive (Z68 chipset) which is supported in Vista, as it turns out. There's always a catch- the drives have to be in RAID mode. Is there any way to not screw up this installation of Vista I have now and set these disks up in Raid mode?

I'm so sick of installing Windows.
unfortunately not, since it needs to be done at a hardware level.

I think your main problem is vista

/bitter guy who can't afford SSDs.
Gaming PC - MSI MPG Gungnir 111M | MSI MAG Z590 Tomahawk Wifi | Intel Core i7 11700K | Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 1TB Intel 670p | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | PNY GeForce RTX 3070 XLR8 Gaming REVEL | Sound Blaster X AE-5 Plus | SeaSonic Focus GX-750 | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro

Second PC - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB SATA HDD | MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Armor OC | Thermaltake ToughPower Grand RGB 750W | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:10 PM   #19
Alientank
Piss flaps

Alientank has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationAlientank has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationAlientank has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationAlientank has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationAlientank has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationAlientank has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationAlientank has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationAlientank has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationAlientank has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationAlientank has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationAlientank has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

I upgraded to an agility 3 240gig and it was flawless after doing a full format and fresh windows 7 install on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saggypoo View Post
It's happening to Jupiter now? Usually there's objects constantly slamming against Uranus.
Alientank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:50 AM   #20
Guybo
Anonymous Proletariat

Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:00 PM   #21
Guybo
Anonymous Proletariat

I did it. And it worked. I got my drives working in RAID mode without reinstalling Windows and enabled SSD caching and so far so good.

If i wake up tomorrow and it still works I'll be really happy LOL!