Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:31 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Default Asus 7970 DirectCu II

my new card with my last asus card

i thought these things were getting smaller
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:05 PM   #2
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

oh well that didn't work well

tried my first card had small snow like artifacting in 2d and 3d and in the MB bios screen
card ran fine got x2881 stock on mark 11 and temps were ok at 45% fan
tried pulling and reseating card 6 times no go
put my two 6970 back and all is fine

maybe just a bad one will try my second when it gets here

Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:10 PM   #3
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Sorry to hear that, hope it works out.
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:54 PM   #4
jam2k

jam2k is still being judged by the masses

Nice X850XT !

Just for the sake of it, did you try a fresh windows install ?
jam2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:11 PM   #5
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam2k View Post
Nice X850XT !

Just for the sake of it, did you try a fresh windows install ?
not yet got my second card is coming today will try that first then a new dvi-d cable
card ran fine just had a very fine snow like artifacting (showed up in light areas on screen most) gave me a headache

if both cards do it then first a new cable then psu i think
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:58 PM   #6
tehpikachu
Radeon R420

tehpikachu is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
not yet got my second card is coming today will try that first then a new dvi-d cable
card ran fine just had a very fine snow like artifacting (showed up in light areas on screen most) gave me a headache

if both cards do it then first a new cable then psu i think
Update us when you are done putting in the second card.

Thanks a lot man
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:23 AM   #7
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

ok second card is artifacting too
i have tried two other cables that work fine with my HP LP 3065 and a 4890 or my 6970's

the artifacting is only in some colors on the screen not all light blues & grays are bad, if i move a window around the artifacting will stay in the bad colors and follow the window and not be anywhere else

can't see a psu doing this, so i will try that later maybe

this card has a non-standard DVI-D port and with the bios switch in one position it is single link and in the other bios position it is duel link

i ordered a displayport to DVI-D duel link
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815158198

i'll try to go from a DP to bi-pass the main dvd-d

other than that only thing i can think of is to exchange these for reference type cards

i'm going to try a small 20" screen to when i dig it out
but i think this maybe only a 2560x1600 thing
something to do with this in the older 30" lcd's

"The color behavior can’t be changed in-monitor because there’s no scaler. The standard (cost-effective) scalers that are used in monitors do not have the bandwidth to process 2560x1600 pixels 60 times a second and with some exceptions, all 30-inchers in the market live life without scalers. HP’s LP3065 was no exception to this rule."

here it shows up in the light gray border at bottom

Last edited by bill dennison : Mar 13, 2012 at 03:07 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:23 AM   #8
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Don't count out the PSU. Your PSU has an odd railing configuration. Where rails 1 and 3 are 18 amps and 2 and 4 are 30. The 7970 needs more than 18amps, so by any chance it is being distributed on one of those rails it can artifact. Most of the time, when I see red distortions, it is PSU related. If I see multi colored distortions, it is the GPU. At least from experience.

This is why I always go single big 12v rail.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:32 AM   #9
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Card View Post
Don't count out the PSU. Your PSU has an odd railing configuration. Where rails 1 and 3 are 18 amps and 2 and 4 are 30. The 7970 needs more than 18amps, so by any chance it is being distributed on one of those rails it can artifact. Most of the time, when I see red distortions, it is PSU related. If I see multi colored distortions, it is the GPU. At least from experience.

This is why I always go single big 12v rail.
thanks
it is multi colored i think will try a new PSU if the DisplayPort to DVI Interface does not work

on a side note the distortions were bad this morning and got less as it warmed up so i may stop at fry's and get a
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139034
can aways take it back

Last edited by bill dennison : Mar 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:56 AM   #10
Sound_Card
Banned

Sounds like a plan. Test with a better PSU and see what happens. For now, stop using the cards. Could damage them as well as the PSU then damaging other stuff.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:01 PM   #11
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

well it was not the PSU still doing it

and putting second card in cfx does not effect it

if the displayport to dvi-d dl adapter dosn't fix it

Last edited by bill dennison : Mar 13, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:47 AM   #12
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

ok i hook them up to my tv at 1080p and they work fine at 1080p no artifacting at all
other than my 7+ year old lcd tv does not like text (hold a shadow for a long time)

so it look like these card just do not like 2560x1600 from the dvi-d anyway
and i still don't know why 60% of the artifacting goes away after it warms up some after it's been off for 1+ hours
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:19 AM   #13
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

cables?
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:28 PM   #14
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
cables?
tried two different dvi cables and they both work fine with a 4890 or two 6970

this card switches the main dvi-d port from the from single link to dual link with the bios switch

i don't know if the settings are in the bios but if so the dual link maybe off a little or not supporting the full color of a 30" screen
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:55 PM   #15
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

found something new 3dmark 11 would not run lower than extreme
it would not shift to 1280x720 res
black screen and flashes of what looked like running a 30" screen on a single link

now just got the DisplayPort to DVI Dual Link Active Converter
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815158198

and now it seems to work fine 3dmark 11 run on performance now fine
and no artifacting
so far

stock clocks
http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2960779
http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2960673

i am a little PO at ASUS that i had drop a 120 bucks for a adapter to fix what should work out of the box

a review of this card

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-r...tcu-ii-review/
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:22 PM   #16
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

well these fat twins are in
excuse the mess

i hate changing PSU's

one note the other cf bridge position is blocked a little on this card you would need break off the little tab to use 3 cards
and have a 10 slot case

my ASIC on top card is 68.0% and second card is 83.4%

i love that the fans turn off on second card when not in use and 50% fan on these sound about like 25% or 30% on a standard card

i think i'll just keep the corsair HX1050 don't want to pull it out

Last edited by bill dennison : Mar 14, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:18 PM   #17
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Glad to see they finally came for you. Sucks to see that ASUS had that crap for you to deal with. They def look good. Time to black out the rest of that system though MAKE IT SEXIER NOW

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:53 PM   #18
tehpikachu
Radeon R420

tehpikachu is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
well these fat twins are in
excuse the mess

i hate changing PSU's

one note the other cf bridge position is blocked a little on this card you would need break off the little tab to use 3 cards
and have a 10 slot case

my ASIC on top card is 68.0% and second card is 83.4%

i love that the fans turn off on second card when not in use and 50% fan on these sound about like 25% or 30% on a standard card

i think i'll just keep the corsair HX1050 don't want to pull it out
Looks great man, good luck with your system.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 05:38 AM   #19
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Yay! Happy overclocking and gaming
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:02 PM   #20
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

the waterblocks look to be two to three weeks out
http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/index.p...t01returnid=17