Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » Operating Systems
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Operating Systems Discussion topics on operating systems including all iterations of Windows, MacOS, BeOS, etc.

"

Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
wonder squirrel
Godlike

wonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default How to force Win7 into keeping current theme?

Is there a way to force Windows 7 64 into keeping the win7 theme? Almost everytime I fire up a game I get a resources are getting low warning and it switches to the win 7 basic theme. I thought it was ram usage causing it, but I had the task manager opend an noticed ram was only about 6.5 of 8gb being used.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:11 PM   #2
Dr. Zhivago
Sound: Serious Business

Dr. Zhivago knows why the caged bird singsDr. Zhivago knows why the caged bird singsDr. Zhivago knows why the caged bird singsDr. Zhivago knows why the caged bird singsDr. Zhivago knows why the caged bird sings

What the hell do you have running that takes up that much RAM? I have 8GB on a box and have rarely had it exceed 4GB when running a game. If I fire up HL2 w/ Cinematic Mod with everything on maximum I could maybe see near 6GB of usage. List some of the stuff you have running when you fire up the PC.

Bedroom PC - Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 - AMD 1100T @3.7/4GHz - H50 - 8GB DDR3-1600 - HD 7870 OC - Samsung 840 250GB - WD 640GB Blue - Xonar DX - LG BDROM - Logitech 6110 - TT Volos - Antec 900 - CM 500W PSU - Samsung 32" HDTV - Onkyo TX-SR606 - BIC L/R & MTX Surround Speakers - Mission C70 Center - Sony 10" Sub - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

HTPC - Gigabyte GA-890GPA~UD3H - AthlonII X4 630 - HD6450 - 8GB DDR3-1333 - WD 500GB Black - WD 640GB Green - WD 2TB Green - LG BDROM - Ceton InfiniTV 4 w/ MCE Remote - Logitech MX5000 Laser Desktop - Corsair 450W - Silverstone LC10B-E - Sharp Aquos 46" HDTV - Onkyo TX-SR606 - PE 15" Sub - Classic Mission Speakers - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Office PC - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H - Intel 3570K - 8GB DDR3-1600 - HD 7950 FLEX - Samsung 840 250GB - WD 500GB Blue - WD 1TB Black - Xonar DX - CM 500W PSU - Antec ON1E - Logitech G5 - Logitech USB Media KB - AOC 23" LCD - Creative Inspire 2.1 - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

4x Presentation Machines - Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 - FX-8350 w/ FX WC - 8GB DDR3-1600 - 5870 or 7870 Eyefinity 6 - 2x Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - WD 500GB Black - DVDRW - Cooler Master Sileo 500 - 600W PSU - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit - Office 2010 Pro
Dr. Zhivago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:06 AM   #3
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar can recite pi backwardsGanjaStar can recite pi backwardsGanjaStar can recite pi backwardsGanjaStar can recite pi backwardsGanjaStar can recite pi backwardsGanjaStar can recite pi backwardsGanjaStar can recite pi backwards

that's some epic pebkac you got going there

6.5 gb without a game running. thats pretty insane
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:35 AM   #4
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Win7 once gave me error that resources were low and went to basic from aero.

It was while I was playing BF3. I did have some other things going on in the background however, I think I was maybe 6g usage out of 16g.

Baffled me why it did that. Probably some silly bug in BF3 as far as I can tell. Hasn't given me the error since, but still will occasionally switch back to basic from aero. I have it check boxed to force Windows to keep aero as well. /shrug
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 01:13 AM   #5
Monique19
Banned

Monique19 is still being judged by the masses

Use MSI AfterBurner and set up your own custom fan profile.

Problem solved.
Monique19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:42 AM   #6
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykoralis can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykoralis can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:43 PM   #7
wonder squirrel
Godlike

wonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Zhivago View Post
What the hell do you have running that takes up that much RAM? I have 8GB on a box and have rarely had it exceed 4GB when running a game. If I fire up HL2 w/ Cinematic Mod with everything on maximum I could maybe see near 6GB of usage. List some of the stuff you have running when you fire up the PC.
Not too much starts up with windows, but typically whats almost always running other than the basic win7 stuff is:

IE (also has a half dozen or more tabs open), FF, Origin, MS ess, Steam, Kone mouse driver prog, Asus AI Suite, MSI Afterburner, win7 sticky notes, windows task manager, and one of the my doc folders. Sounds like alot now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaStar View Post
that's some epic pebkac you got going there

6.5 gb without a game running. thats pretty insane
Running at 4.85 now with the above stuff running, BF3 will use another 2gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
Win7 once gave me error that resources were low and went to basic from aero.

It was while I was playing BF3. I did have some other things going on in the background however, I think I was maybe 6g usage out of 16g.

Baffled me why it did that. Probably some silly bug in BF3 as far as I can tell. Hasn't given me the error since, but still will occasionally switch back to basic from aero. I have it check boxed to force Windows to keep aero as well. /shrug
I had selected to keep the aero theme before when it asked but it never stuck apparently. BF3 is the only app that causes this behavior. It also closes out of full screen and reopens in a fullscreen window with the everything in the taskbar area showing over the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by koralis View Post
Thanks for the link, I'll give that a go and see what happens
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:51 PM   #8
wonder squirrel
Godlike

No luck. Still switching back to basic theme
. Doesn't even ask if I want to change or anything, just changes.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:21 PM   #9
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykoralis can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykoralis can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Disable Superfetch

The more RAM you have, the more stuff it wants to cache.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...-7-superfetch/

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote